Best way to discount a Porter flight?

kuhltiffany

DIS Veteran
We decided to book a Christmas cruise and now are looking at flights. There’s the perfect one I see on Porter but it’s currently $1500pp 😳

What’s the best way to use points/get a deal on Porter?

Sign up for their newsletter - they just recently had a sale that was on their website for 30% off but I got a code in an email that was good for 35%

Make sure you go to the main webpage, don't just click on "book a flight" if there's a current sale they will have a "splash" blurb about it across the top of the page.

Check out their social media accounts, I follow them on Instagram and that is where i get the 1st indication of an upcoming sale.

Like other airlines there are *better* days to fly, usually midweek is cheaper than weekends. Caveat here - the pricing is dynamic like anything these days, a case of supply and demand. They know that the demand for flights around Christmas will be high so they will charge more :(

Last edited:
A Porter flight on Dec 18 to Orlando and coming home Jan 4 from Fort Lauderdale was $485 pp with luggage when the fares first came out in late Feb.

You can get a $500 gift card for $450, so a 10% savings. This is on top of any other seat sale prices.
As a reminder, you need to ask yourself if the savings by buying a gift card are worth it, as you do lose the benefits from your credit card (car insurance while traveling, cancellary/delay insurance, out of country health coverage) the moment you don't fully pay your airfare with such credit card.

As a reminder, you need to ask yourself if the savings by buying a gift card are worth it, as you do lose the benefits from your credit card (car insurance while traveling, cancellary/delay insurance, out of country health coverage) the moment you don't fully pay your airfare with such credit card.
I wonder if you can use a gift card for some and put the rest on a CC?

I wonder if you can use a gift card for some and put the rest on a CC?
That depends on the T&C of the credit card. Some do allow for partial charges - accounting for the fact that a booking may be paid with points, with only a residual charged to the CC... whereas some are specific that it has to be a full charge

Has anyone flown Porter? Seems strange using small comuter jet for long haul flight! We’re on the west coast

My husband uses them a lot within Ontario, no issues!
I’ve flown them for short commuter flights same jet, different company) but never long haul. I live on the west coast so seems strange to fly a commuter jet cross country.

I’ve flown them for short commuter flights same jet, different company) but never long haul. I live on the west coast so seems strange to fly a commuter jet cross country.
are you referring to the little prop planes or the new Embraer E195-E2?
Here's a link to the info about the planes they are using for "long haul"
Porter's "bigger" jets

are you referring to the little prop planes or the new Embraer E195-E2?
Here's a link to the info about the planes they are using for "long haul"
Porter's "bigger" jets
The Embraer ERJ 175 so guess the smaller regional jet. They’re very nice, but small. This is what Alaska Airlines fly from Vancouver to Seattle and other commuter flights.

Last edited:
One important note about the Costco gift cards for Porter. When you buy the gift card online you don't get the access code (to use on the Porter site) for a few days (usually 2-3 days). So if you're buying a ticket on a flash seat sale, you may not get the access code in time.

Last edited:
Has anyone flown Porter? Seems strange using small comuter jet for long haul flight! We’re on the west coast
Late to answer here. We flew from Vancouver to Toronto Pearson in March on one of their new jets. We got a great price on Porter Reserve so sat in the first few rows. One of our best flight experiences ever.

Late to answer here. We flew from Vancouver to Toronto Pearson in March on one of their new jets. We got a great price on Porter Reserve so sat in the first few rows. One of our best flight experiences ever.
Good to know! I fly Alaska and they must be associated with them because they were listing some of Porters flights at really good prices. I thought they were the really small commuter jets Alaska flew from YVR to SeaTac. Couldn’t see a long haul flight on one.
Next time I see a good de as l I’ll try them!

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest