Best taco recipe?

My daughter has been married for over 20 years to a wonderful man of Hispanic heritage. When they first married, my daughter asked his grandma to teach her how to make Mexican dishes. That is where she learned about patty tacos. Now she makes wonderful Mexican dishes. I see from other posts that many people use a lot of seasoning in their tacos. We have a large Hispanic population in our city and many good Mexican restaurants. I have never had tacos that were as highly seasoned as those mentioned here.

Same here. Just salt and pepper for a ground beef taco.
When we make them at home, it's just a good freshly fried corn tortilla -- then fill with cooked ground beef and fresh toppings. Grated cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, chopped white onion.

Taco night is very popular at our house. My mom used to always serve them with cottage cheese as a side. I have no idea why. That's our tradition, too. They go really well together.

Living in So Cal, we've enjoyed many types of tacos, but that's how we make them at home. For burritos we get more elaborate -- carnitas etc.

For beef taco meat, I make Pioneer Woman's recipe 6 pounds at a time and freeze it to use, mostly every Tuesday! :-) I also love Penzey's chicken taco seasoning, I use red enchilada sauce instead of water. I make it in large batches as well and freeze. Both taco meats make great burritos which can be made ahead and frozen. I thaw them and cook them on a griddle.

Last fall DH's best friend got married to a lovely Latina and they had a super casual gathering for friends and family to celebrate. Her family, I think they were all born and raised in the US but they had extended family still in Mexico, made traditional Mexican food for lunch and holy wah were those the best tacos I ever had.

They got a rotisserie chicken from the store and shredded that for the meat, for convenience sake, but I just use ground beef.

Brown in a pan:
drizzle of preferred oil
1 pound of your preferred protein
diced onion
minced garlic
salt and pepper

Drain excess fat.

Add:
1 sm can (like the little 8 oz can, not a regular 15 oz can) tomato sauce
oregano
chipotle pepper to taste

Get the can of chipotle peppers in sauce and run them through the blender or food processor and just add it to taste. Keep checking because those babies can make your tacos super spicy fast.

After that just add your preferred toppings. I like refried beans, lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, and lime wedges for squeezing on the tacos. The lime adds a ton of flavor to your taco so don't forget that.

Now I have a craving for tacos. I will have to make a batch next week.

Also, they used corn tortillas that they somehow fried on the griddle. We have tried to duplicate that and just can't get it right so we just use flour tortillas. One of the people cooking told me that you can have the best taco fillings in the world but if your tortillas suck, your tacos are going to suck. And.....he's not wrong but sometimes you gotta work with what you got. And here in the Great White North we have crappy tortillas. It is what it is.

Y’all please step away from the Taco Seasoning packets. All you need for true Tex-mex flavored ground beef is garlic, onion, tomato, cumin, chili powder, paprika, the tiniest dash of Mexican oregano, salt and pepper. That’s your basic recipe.

If you want to make picadillo add diced potatoes (some like diced carrot as well) and simmer with your beef mixture until the potatoes are soft. Add a touch of tomato sauce to your simmering liquid. I use a combo of water and broth to simmer. Picadillo can be served over rice or in a soft taco.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter