Behavior Challenge Thread

I do keep a behavior/food journal but I'm not GREAT at keeping it up. If there is a meltdown I will describe it and everything she ate that day and any other out of the norm notables. It's just that during these episodes she is not herself.

A good friend of mine on another board made a great comment to me though: she said it's ok to have regression. Not every day has to be about moving forward or even maintaining the skills they have mastered. There is always tomorrow and the next day and set backs are not the end of the world. Unlike with a NT child, we have to be flexible and supportive when this occurs and not see it as laziness or insubordination. As Bookwormde alluded to, our kids spend so much energy on skills we don't spend any time or energy needing to learn/master because it comes naturally to us. I have to keep in mind my dd's energy/mood reserves may be depleted due to her dealing with things I just can't be aware of or comprehend.

It was important for me to hear that. :goodvibes

Our thread is all the way at the bottom so here is a bump. Where is everyone???

autismtechiesarticle.jpg

I'm still here! Been enjoying summer. We just got back recently from a 2500 mile road trip with the family. Everything went well! There was only 1 meltdown the entire time!!

Interesting article!

Wow, lovethattink, that's amazing. That long of a road trip and only one meltdown! :thumbsup2

We just got back from WDW and had several pretty bad meltdowns while there. My family was with us so we had to compromise a lot and that was not easy for dd. She had one BAD meltdown in the queue for Splash Mountain. We ended up not riding which was awful and I had to take dd to the family bathroom to let her calm down-it took quite a long time. When we came out there were 3 CMs there asking if I needed help. I felt the CM's working the queue in Splash could have been a little more helpful/flexible but oh well. It's done now.

DD is in a school specializing in Autism so I feel really good about her this summer, except for the fact that she cries each morning when they try to separate her from me. Oh man, I can't wait for the day when she separates easily. I know it's just separation anxiety because when I pick her up in the afternoons she seems to have had fun.

KoolaidMom, C&G'sMama, I want to hear about your WDW trip!
:goodvibes

Wow, lovethattink, that's amazing. That long of a road trip and only one meltdown! :thumbsup2

We just got back from WDW and had several pretty bad meltdowns while there. My family was with us so we had to compromise a lot and that was not easy for dd. She had one BAD meltdown in the queue for Splash Mountain. We ended up not riding which was awful and I had to take dd to the family bathroom to let her calm down-it took quite a long time. When we came out there were 3 CMs there asking if I needed help. I felt the CM's working the queue in Splash could have been a little more helpful/flexible but oh well. It's done now.

DD is in a school specializing in Autism so I feel really good about her this summer, except for the fact that she cries each morning when they try to separate her from me. Oh man, I can't wait for the day when she separates easily. I know it's just separation anxiety because when I pick her up in the afternoons she seems to have had fun.

KoolaidMom, C&G'sMama, I want to hear about your WDW trip!

Are you going to write a TR? I'm sorry about Splash Mt. It's tough when family doesn't understand how difficult compromise is.

We did our trip around our son. We usually would do the trip in 1 or 2 driving days, but we took 3 days of driving to go from FL to PA. And 4 days of driving to go from OH to FL. Picked motel/hotels with plenty of running room and pools. Took breaks from people and family. Rather than staying with family we got motels so he could have a place for alone time.

The meltdown he had was due to a family member teasing the kids. They were playing adults agains children in soccer. When one of the adults scored, he teased the kids saying adults rule, and my son snapped. We pulled him away from the game and explained to him that he was trying to be funny, not trying to hurt his feelings. His tantrum elevated so we took him back to the motel when he got calm enough to get in the car. I think it was more a matter of being at a party for a few hours than what was actually said. That was just the final straw for him.

I would love to write a TR, but don't know if our trip was really that interesting to share. There were a few interesting moments...

We had a few bad situations in this trip that really struck me. Prior trips have just been over the top great so these few instances of "not great" CMs stood out. I know it can't always be magic and pixie dust...

My dd doesn't travel well in a car but someday I would love to take a road trip like you did. I would love to see the country and so would dd-if she didn't get so car sick.

I understand the "final straw" thing. :sick:

I would love to write a TR, but don't know if our trip was really that interesting to share. There were a few interesting moments...

We had a few bad situations in this trip that really struck me. Prior trips have just been over the top great so these few instances of "not great" CMs stood out. I know it can't always be magic and pixie dust...

My dd doesn't travel well in a car but someday I would love to take a road trip like you did. I would love to see the country and so would dd-if she didn't get so car sick.

I understand the "final straw" thing. :sick:

Ds's first road trip was a disaster. He threw up when we got to twisty turny roads. This trip he did great. I think OT has really helped with vestibular things. He only felt sick once this time, in the mountains of NC.

4 days till we leave for WDW. The second week we are there our most Aspie friendly extended family willl be with us so everyting should go well.

We are doing a couple of days of sit down meals so that should be interesting.
Autism society conference is when we are down there and an wanting to attend. Still going back an forth since the first day we are doing dining with an imagineer, and one day is the last shuttle launch which we will attend and the morning and the last day I probably have a phone confernece for our state PAC so I am having a hard time justifying spending $200 for a couple of presentations.

bookwormde

Made it here, left 8pm arrived 11 am BLT, room was ready, lake view studio north side nice to the side MK view

Hi:wave:

We're here.
Bookwormde - hope you are having a great time!
Grace - sorry for the meltdowns but glad you made it to the World
Lovethattink - were we there around the same time? I think I remember your posts for the 2,000 mi RT thread?

We (koolaidmoms and I) have envisioned doing another trip report on the Disability board but the time keeps slipping away.

So here's a quick overview. We were gone May 27th through June 8th.

We left Rochester on the 27th around 1:30pm and arrived at WDW on the 29th around 1pm. We stay 2 nights on the road. We didn't make it to the pool first night but the 2nd night we stayed in Jacksonville so went in pool before bed and first thing in the morning.

The heat kicked our butts. We went at this time for a ton of reason including it was mine and Koolaidmoms 15th anniversary and this was the time of our honeymoon and our first trip to WDW together and when our obsession began. We did most of our touring at night and spent a lot more time at the hotel than usual. DS wasn't overly thrilled with this prospect but we told him over and over this trip was about Grandma (83), who joined us along with my DB and DSIL on the 30th.

That first night we had dinner at Chef Mickey's and then went to MK which was open 'til 3am with EMH. We barely made it to 1:30.

DS had a couple of meltdowns but nothing out of the ordinary that I can recall. It's a lot of stimulation and the heat didn't help.

With mom with us it did slow us down which we anticipated so we decided early on to extend our trip by one day. We were originally slated to leave on Sunday the 5th but stayed 'til Monday the 6th.

I didn't order the special needs wheelchair on time for DS so we rented a wheelchair. I decided to rent the big one in case for some reason DP or I needed it. Well... 4 days before we left DP sprained her ankle. So she spent a fair amount of time in the chair. DS shared it with her which didn't thrill him but he did okay.

My mom was also in a wheelchair. She's mobile but there's so much walking, we talked her into bringing it and she was glad she did in the end. Though there was the one night when my brother and SIL took the bus back to the hotel with mom and mom was convinced the bus driver was trying to steal her purse. He was trying to help her get off the bus. But she was overtired and confused. I guess my SIL grabbed the purse and the bus driver and my brother got her off the bus. She weighs less than 100 lbs.

That's all for now. Maybe DP and I will try to get that report written. When we got back the kids still had 2 weeks of school left so things were a little crazy.

hi everyone,

fireworks were amazing at MK from BLT (room 8106), we could also see at leat 30 other sites setting off fireworks from our vantage point. DS12 AS is nto really into them but could watch them comforatably.

We went to Universal on Sunday, Harry Potter was needt but crowded. DS 12 and DW went through the line with us to be able to see the castle, but DS12 had a very hard time with the long line. I think part of it was the hot croded nature and the other was wanting to get to Jurasic park. DS 8 and I went on the ride in the castle, DS8 at the last minute (4ft from the seat) did not want to go but I talked him into it. The effects were really good (I liken it to a combination of dinosaur and soring with an dragon and many other "bad folks" after you. In gthe end it was to scary for DS8 to want to go on again.

DS12 had a Great time at the discovery center, They have a knowlege game about dinosuars, I felt bad for the other contestants since DS got a score of 1475 an the others got 50 and 150. I allmost went over to appoligize for letting a "ringer" play.

DS8 and I went on the Jurasic ride which he enjoyed. at that point we headed back to BLT.

We moved to BWV on the 5th (room was ready at 7am)

The dining has gone pretty well, coral reef was a loat of fun and good food, HDD was a hit as allways and lacellar was good ecept that I had an Aspie moment and left my old room car in our new room at BWV. Captains table was good also and all the CMs were great,

Today is dining with an imagineer for me and DS12

I know this is a thread that has talked a lot about autism spectrum. But I was wondering if anyone has any tips for my 5 year old DD who has sensory integration issues such that when over-stimulated she insists on spending her life upside down. At home she does gymnastics 12 hours per week to help her cope (among other OT). I'm a little worried about handstands on concrete. I see ER visits in our future unless I can brush her every 90 minutes on the dot...

lot of sensroy dids (and ASD kids) like to be upside down. I would focus on the real safety risks and other than that it sound like she is finding things that work fer her. Unless there are anxiety triggers sensory items tend to less with time.

Lot of our kids do not have the standard left right preference (discrimination). Many are almost as comfortable readering a book that is upside down (assuming they are "rightside up"). Just part of the genetics

bookwormde

C&G'sMama, Sorry I haven't read this thread in a long time. Good thing you rented the wheel chair! Sorry about the sprain, I hope she healed quickly!

hi everyone,

fireworks were amazing at MK from BLT (room 8106), we could also see at leat 30 other sites setting off fireworks from our vantage point. DS12 AS is nto really into them but could watch them comforatably.

We went to Universal on Sunday, Harry Potter was needt but crowded. DS 12 and DW went through the line with us to be able to see the castle, but DS12 had a very hard time with the long line. I think part of it was the hot croded nature and the other was wanting to get to Jurasic park. DS 8 and I went on the ride in the castle, DS8 at the last minute (4ft from the seat) did not want to go but I talked him into it. The effects were really good (I liken it to a combination of dinosaur and soring with an dragon and many other "bad folks" after you. In gthe end it was to scary for DS8 to want to go on again.

DS12 had a Great time at the discovery center, They have a knowlege game about dinosuars, I felt bad for the other contestants since DS got a score of 1475 an the others got 50 and 150. I allmost went over to appoligize for letting a "ringer" play.

DS8 and I went on the Jurasic ride which he enjoyed. at that point we headed back to BLT.

We moved to BWV on the 5th (room was ready at 7am)

The dining has gone pretty well, coral reef was a loat of fun and good food, HDD was a hit as allways and lacellar was good ecept that I had an Aspie moment and left my old room car in our new room at BWV. Captains table was good also and all the CMs were great,

Today is dining with an imagineer for me and DS12

Thanks for the info about HP castle. We haven't done anything but the Seuess area at IOA. DS is scared of anything dark.

How is Le Cellier for sensory input? We have resies coming up in a couple weeks.

I know this is a thread that has talked a lot about autism spectrum. But I was wondering if anyone has any tips for my 5 year old DD who has sensory integration issues such that when over-stimulated she insists on spending her life upside down. At home she does gymnastics 12 hours per week to help her cope (among other OT). I'm a little worried about handstands on concrete. I see ER visits in our future unless I can brush her every 90 minutes on the dot...

I don't have any answers for you, but my son has started wanting to go upside down. He wants to sit like Mork from Ork.

Hey guys,

I know this is OT but wanted to share with you guys that we are officially Homeschooling DD. She's our NT kid. DS has a good team in his classroom this year and we think school is a good fit for him right now. (Amazing how things change from one minute to the next)

As for DD. She's in 6th grade. Way too many behavior issues in her class and she's metaphorically drowning. She's a good kid, she does "ok" in school so, she gets ignored. She is hard of hearing with a 504 not and IEP, she wasn't getting what she needed, we could see her struggling and rather than fight with the school anymore, she is home. Since she's been going to school in some form since she was 2, this is going to be an adjustment for her emotionally. But as time goes on, we thhink sh'ell relaize the only changes are for the better. The couple of good friends she has at school were friends from the neighborhood first and they will continue to be in her life.

She has friends from Irish Dance, one of whom is also home schooled and she is making new friends through a SibShop group she joined through a local Autism Support group. And on Thursday she'll start homeschool bowling.

As for her academics. DP has already started lesson plans and gathered materials etc. So we're pretty excited for her.

And DS, well so far, so good. He doesn't hate going to school (granted they just started last Wednesday) We can see the difference all ready with this year's teacher. DS was having a lot of behavior issues before school started and we figured some of it was stemming from anxiety over school. So a week before school started DP brought him in to meet the teacher and aide and see his classroom. The teacher had him put the name tags on desks and let DS choose who sat where. DS had a narrative for each kid:lmao: "This one needs to sit up front, he's not a bad kid, but has tendencies for inappropriate behavior" "This one is a good student and overall a good kid but she talks a lot so she can't sit next to so and so" And on it went.

He was a different kid after that. He still had some anxiety (it's part of him) but nowhere's near what it had been. And when he went into class the first day, except for a couple of changes due to shifts in who was in the class, the name tags were where he put them.

Here's to as smooth a year as possible for everyone.

C & G'smama,

That's great that you have the opportunity to homeschool your DD. More and more people seem to be homeschooling. I hope it works out well for you.

So great that your DS is loving school! Man, what I would give for that!

My dd is having some issues. I have finally broken down and made an appointment with a psychiatrist to help with DD's aggression. On Sat she was playing with a neighbor girl in her room (I was outside working in the yard) and I heard screaming (and strangely enough it wasn't my dd :rotfl:) so I ran inside and DD was blocking the door, not letting the girl leave, pushing the girl each time she wanted to leave and the girl was very upset. My dd is also abusing our cat-I have tried to explain to her that the cat cannot say "STOP!" so she needs to be aware that if she hisses or scratches you-you need to stop squeezing or doing what you are doing. It's strange this is happening because we have always had a cat but all of a sudden I will find dd has tied up the cat or locked her in a box or some other mean thing. It's like she doesn't understand the cat doesn't like it-she thinks it's a game.

DD is in counseling with the same counselor she has had for over a year now and the counselor gives me feedback as much as she can. Unfortunately any kind of reasoning from the therapist or myself results in manic aggression that can last for days. In these times she just cannot settle down, cannot reason, and makes very bad choices. She speaks with a snarly angry voice and just repeatedly says "Just leave me alone!".

She won't listen if you infer or mention that perhaps if she changed her behavior she would have better outcome (ie kids would be nicer, kids would want to play, she would have privileges). It seems she just has so much anger bubbling inside. Like everything has just built up to be so insurmountable and she just gives up and is angry. I try to help her as much as possible but she refuses help because she won't admit she needs it-in her mind it is about everyone else having a problem, not her.

And I must admit so much of her difficulty stems from AS related issues-she feels she's being "funny" but comes across quite rude to a peer and also family. A girl at school asked dd "Why don't you talk to me? Do you hate me?" to which my dd replied "Signs point to yes" (which is a magic 8 ball answer-she likes the magic 8 ball) so the girl cried and was so upset and told everyone that dd said "she hates me, she's so mean".

There's a constant need to interpret-in this case to that girl and the parents that dd didn't mean that-she didn't understand the question, or she thought the question was too absurd to answer, or she didn't realize the seriousness of the question, etc. Any possible one of those-how would I know? And when I ask dd she states she "thought it was funny".

I watch a 4 year old for a friend sometimes and interacting with this little girl is so intriguing! The awareness that she has at 4 is so startling in contrast to my own dd, who is twice her age but not near as socially understanding. My dd will barracade herself in her room and I'll play with the 4 year old and she'll ask "why doesn't she like me?" or "Why is she so angry?" and I have to explain that it's not personal, that's it's not about her, that DD just has anger inside her sometimes and needs to be alone.

Sorry for this vent-one positive thing is that dd is separating in the mornings without clinging to me-the school she went to this summer worked on that specific behavior and did an amazing job in using positive reinforcement to stop the behavior (an amazing Sp Ed teacher spent great amount of time in coming up with a plan to do this). DD is still in a small private school which I hope will continue to be okay. I fear that she may become more than they are willing/able to handle and that NOT getting her a Sp Ed scenario will cause her to fail to make the progress she needs. This summer with a great Sp Ed teacher showed me the amazing progress that can be made with someone who "gets" dd's differences.

Unfortunately, we will probably be back to meds soon, clonidine and tenex being the two we are looking at. Both are for anxiety and aggression, I think the tenex also helps with tics which dd doesn't have really, just some wrist flicking and sniffling which I think are stims.

Anyway, I worry so much about her apparent anger and don't want her to be filled with so much rage-at being "different" or feeling like a failure when she cannot control herself. It's a fine line between expecting her to behave decently and realizing that she doesn't have all the tools to do so (which is very difficult when she barks at me or makes a derogatory comment towards me). I give her lots of leeway-allowing her some decompression but at times of her anger she seems to withdraw further and further and becomes more and more alienated and unwilling to adapt to the world. I wish I could find an adult/teenage aspie to mentor her and show her she is capable and has much to be confident about-it seems she sees everyone as "the others" and alienates herself more and more as people misunderstand her and judge her more and more.

Are there any truly happy Aspies out there? I wish I knew how to help her be happy. When I talk to her about it she states she doesn't want to be happy. Which just really breaks my heart. :sad2:

@Grace, you're doing a great job, by the way. I don't think we as parents hear that often enough. You are doing everything in your power for your daughter and it does break our hearts to watch them and to hear them say mean things to us and about themselves. But you keep on, one way or another. And she has sucesses, like less separation anxiety. Hold on to those moments.

While DS's behavior has gotten better, what concerned us was a lot of self-hate talk. He was starting to push and hit us again and saying things like "I want to get a sword for Christmas and cut myself in half" "I hate myself" etc. We are going to take him to a pyschiatrist, he does see counselor right now and we will entertain meds. Not a road we will go down lightly.

Thanks C&G'sMama, you're right-we don't hear that enough. Thank you!

Of course, after my tirade on here we had a pleasant night! One thing about being a mom to dd is it's never boring. She has spectaular gifts and talents and when she is happy life is positively glowing. It's just so hard to see our kids suffer and that is why I am entertaining the idea of meds as well. I cannot bear to watch her suffer with this anxiety and anger any more. Whatever I have to do to take the edge off for her I will do without guilt or remorse. I just know that if she spends prolonged periods with this blanket of negativity over her it will change the trajectory of her life-and I must do what I can to try to lift it any way possible!

Your post made me realize that dd doesn't talk about self harm as much as she used to, thanks for showing me that. I do need to remember all the progress we've made!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter