"Baking" at the value resort bus stops...

labattblue

DIS Veteran
I could see where value resorts should differ from mods/deluxe(room size, sit down restaurant, amenities...), but why oh why would they decide to design/build bus stops without cover from the summer sun which also happen to be some of the higher attendance months at WDW?:confused3

You will probably receive at least 1,000 answers today who will agree with you 100%!!!!!!

What were they thinking?????

:cool2: You need to carry an umbrella with you just for that reason. Not sure why they designed it that way. Doesn't make senses. Yes I know its cheaper, but its just bad design.

A few months ago I said the same thing on these boards. There is absolutely no sun protection for any of the value resorts when you are in line for the bus. It would be easy to do. Just think of all the advertisements they could put on them!!! :surfweb:

Though I think it would be nice if they were covered, it has never bothered us. We have stayed at POP 3 times and mostly in summer but we never actually wait at the bus stop for very long. Guess we were always just lucky.

At $85 a night and free dining, you really want a covered bus stop too? :rolleyes1

If you don't want to stand in the sun, then you might prefer standing in the rain waiting for a bus at the Values instead.

The only positive is that there is an actual organized queue for the buses. There is some shelter, but it's far from the queue and good luck catching a bus if you're not in that line.

One more perk to tempt you to 'move on up' to spending more money on your room:sad1:

They do it so you will go into the stores and buy a hat.

I think it is just one of those things you need to take into consideration when deciding if a Value resort is right for you. The Value resorts are meant to be the no frills, cheap end of the scale.

With the way the Value resorts bus lines are set up, I'm not sure how they could even do coverd bus stops. Unless they then took the queues away and made them a free for all no line stop, just like the Moderate or Value resorts.

With the way the Value resorts bus lines are set up, I'm not sure how they could even do coverd bus stops.

I would think that a company that has designed some of the best theme park attractions in the world, would be able to figure out how to provide protection from the elements at a bus stop.;)

Yeah, it's crazy and just one of the many reasons why we still rent a car even if we're staying on-site!

I have to agree with you. It may be a trivial thing to some but it's one of the main reasons I hesitate to book a stay at any of the value resorts. I know that they are supposed to be all about no-frills, just a place to sleep, etc. but I wouldn't think that Disney would consider a covered bus stop a frill.

It's part of the what makes the values, moderates and deluxes different.

Values - no bus shelter at all.

Moderates - bus shelter but you have to walk uncovered to get to the bus stop.

Deluxes - bus shelter with covered walkway to get to the bus stop.

You do realize that you are out in the sun a lot when you are at Disney World, right? I figure the most I'll be standing there is 20 minutes and I know I'm out for 20 minutes easy during the day. I'm not going to melt.

If it bothers you that much, just stand back under the shade and then join the line when the bus comes. Repeat as necessary until you actually get on a bus.

For some people though, the choice might not be Value/Mod/Deluxe, rather on or off site based on the "value" of Disney transportation. After 20 minutes of sun perhaps 2 or 3 times a day (and to some of "us" that is a big deal), some folks who don't want to move *up* might move *out* next trip (or not come at all). Disney isn't just in competion with itself... Ok, that might be a little overly dramatic, but sometimes little things add up.

It will be interesting to see if the new resort has some shelter from the sun.

Wait, does Poly, Kidani, OKW, or SSR have a covered walkway?

I think the Poly does although that's just from the Great Ceremonial House. Kidani, OKW and SSR aren't really Deluxes to me, they're DVC. :)

One thing that's always bothered me about the Poly was the walk outside from your room to the Great Ceremonial House.

I would think that a company that has designed some of the best theme park attractions in the world, would be able to figure out how to provide protection from the elements at a bus stop.;)

I don't think it is as easy as you want to make it sound at the Value resorts. They have actual lines for the buses, which they do not have at the Moderate or Value resorts. Unless they just build one giant roof over the whole sidewalk, which would look ridiculous, a cover wouldn't be feasable.

As has been pointed out, you are going to spend all day walking in that same sun. Unless you think Disney should put a roof over the theme parks too.;)

Wait, does Poly, Kidani, OKW, or SSR have a covered walkway?

Kidani most certainly does! The walkway comes out from the hallway next to the arcade. There is also just a very few uncovered feet between the main Porte Cochere and where the covered walkway is (by the smokers) . There's a flat screen TV out there too! :thumbsup2

For some people though, the choice might not be Value/Mod/Deluxe, rather on or off site based on the "value" of Disney transportation. After 20 minutes of sun perhaps 2 or 3 times a day (and to some of "us" that is a big deal), some folks who don't want to move *up* might move *out* next trip (or not come at all). Disney isn't just in competion with itself... Ok, that might be a little overly dramatic, but sometimes little things add up.

It will be interesting to see if the new resort has some shelter from the sun.

Off-site bus transportation doesn't hold a candle to on-site Disney transporation. The buses do not run anywhere near as frequently. And most of their bus stops leaving the parks are out in the middle of the parking lot, with no shelter at all. So it would make no sense to go off-site as the shade situtation wouldn't improve.

You could always go off-site and rent a car. But you can always stay on-site and rent a car too, if Disney transportation doesn't work for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter