• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Autism books by Jenny McCarthy

I'm just feeling the need to defend her a little.

She uses the word "recovered", not cured. She doesn't believe she cured him. She equates it to being hit by a bus. You can recover, everyone to a different degree, but you're not cured.

When she was on Oprah the first time, she was there with Holly Robinson Peete, who also has a child with autism and was the one that first introduced Jenny to everything.

And she doesn't believe it will work for everyone. She is very careful to point out that it worked for her son.

What I think she did was put on the front page, the idea that some things can be tried that could make a difference. Not every parent sits on the computer for hours reading like most of us do. Some parents are confronted with a diagnosis and a "good luck with that" and pushed out the door. At least maybe she got those parents to think, and to look at options.

I have to give her a bit of credit here. My story is this- when DS was diagnosed, I had already read about gfcf and asked the dr- a very well-respected dev ped at a very well-respected children's hospital. She said no, don't bother. And I was willing to try it anyway, but my family was not supportive. And the years rolled on, and I always wondered about it in the back of my head, as DS's diet consisted of nothing but gluten and casein.

Then Jenny showed up on Oprah and Larry King and suddenly I wasn't crazy anymore. DH was willing to let us go to a DAN dr. And I had some support when I took DS gf/cf. And we found out he had a lot of food allergies. We didn't ever think we'd "cure" him. And all the stuff we've done, mostly has had the effect on his body rather than his autism, if that makes sense. Helped his asthma and eczema, helped the stimming. He still has autism. But it did make a difference.

My DS didn't have an 18-month regression, and I'm not sure if he had the vaccine-thing happen earlier, or if he was born with autism. There were some signs very very early on. JMHO, there's more than one cause, and I think the whole DAN thing probably works better for kids that are "vaccine kids" and not every child with autism is one of those. There was a court case (and many to follow I'm sure) where the parents won because they proved vaccine damage, so it's not like Jenny is way out in left field that way. The AAP has acknowledged that artificial colorings can exascerbate things like ADHD.

She isn't even anti-vaccine, although everyone keeps trying to peg her that way. She just thinks they need to be scheduled different, spaced out more, and the child should be looked at better to make sure their immune system is healthy before they get shots. That's really not unreasonable.

Thanks for the clarification. Like I said, I haven't read her books, but I know a few weeks ago there was a magazine with her on the cover. In big bold letters it proclaimed her son "cured" (exact word the magazine used) and that is what has made me reluctant to even touch one of her books.

I've enjoyed reading all of the replies on this thread and I agree with most all of them. Jenny is a double edged sword for autism. She is a biomedical mom and I am not. If her child has "autism type A" then mine must have "autism type B".

In my very humble opinion I think there are kids who have medical issues, that once resolved have an easier time dealing with their autism, and then there are the kids who are completely healthy except for their autism. Her son was extremelly ill...mine has never even had to be on antibiotics much less on the verge of dying.

Now once you get past that....I wish she would go more in depth into her treatment of the AUTISM rather than the underlying medical problems. Her book was all about seizures, not treating autism. How about a little more information about the video modeling - I have been meaning to buy one of her videos to see how well they work. I have some from a company called "watch me learn" that have really made a difference for my son.

And ok, I'm sorry but if I had what was it, $6000 a month? to throw at my son's autism he would probably be a little better off today, maybe LOL :rolleyes1

My 2 cents

Deep breath. I refuse to buy a book or any magazine to support her ideology / (some would say religion ?) and inby doing so - support her child's therapy. Further - the book seems very emotionally based...with no scientific evidence. I havent read it, nor will I.

I think all parents with autistic kids should put that hard earned cash into their own child's therapy. (think ABA) I know I have & will -

She is loaded...why send $$$ her way? My kid needs the cash more than her.

My 2 cents

Deep breath. I refuse to buy a book or any magazine to support her ideology / (some would say religion ?) and inby doing so - support her child's therapy. Further - the book seems very emotionally based...with no scientific evidence. I havent read it, nor will I.

I think all parents with autistic kids should put that hard earned cash into their own child's therapy. (think ABA) I know I have & will -

She is loaded...why send $$$ her way? My kid needs the cash more than her.

Sorry, I'm really confused. If you haven't read her book, how would you know that it is emotionally based?

The fact is, that there is not currently a "cure" for Austism- does that mean we shouldn't work for one, consider that it could someday be a possibility?

The fact is, we don't know why Austism happens. Like some pp's, I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of ways, and that Autism is a big "umbrella" diagnosis. My child was "unique" from birth. But if I had a kid who regressed, yeah, I'd ask questions, and I might even ask why it is that there is still mercury in vaccines, and our kids are being "forced" to get more every year, but that's just me.

The fact is, there is no one therapy that "works" for every kid. Why can't we say, I tried that, and it didn't work for me, but I'm glad it's made a difference for you, or hmmm, I'm just not comfortable with that, let me do some research.

This book is by one mom about what has helped her kid. Guess what, there are lots of other books too- some you'll agree with, some ya won't.

The fact is, we're all in the same boat. Maybe we should learn to help each other instead of pushing each other overboard.

I am always skeptical of anyone who offers or purports that a child is “cured” or has “recovered”. It shows a clear lack of understanding of the Autism neurovartiant, what should be the goal is to provide the skills to “adapt” to NT society.

bookwormde

Thank you for interjecting this BookWorm - Very true.:goodvibes

I dont mean to get off topic, but i met someone today that has a grandson that was just diagnosed with autism. She and her daughter are overwhelmed and dont know where to turn. I saw the books that Jenny had written and was going to suggest those to them. I think that they would benefit from a place that they could ask questions. Can anyone suggest a forum like the DIS forums, specifically for autism?
Thank you, I really appreciate any help suggested.
Kris

I dont mean to get off topic, but i met someone today that has a grandson that was just diagnosed with autism. She and her daughter are overwhelmed and dont know where to turn. I saw the books that Jenny had written and was going to suggest those to them. I think that they would benefit from a place that they could ask questions. Can anyone suggest a forum like the DIS forums, specifically for autism?
Kris

There is autismspeaks.org and autisticliving.org. Both sites can get very emotionally charged. Personally I limit myself to 5 minutes max per day. Since you know your friend, I'd suggest you visit the sites, and then decide whether or not to recommend them. I'm having a hard time expressing myself, but:

I tend to get emotional about autism, since our own dd is affected, so I try to surround myself with positive thoughts and information. Some of the people on these sites are very angry, and they also get emotional. Some of them are dealing with pain and situations I can't imagine. It can be draining just reading it.

Also, a lot of the posters have very strong opinions about the cause of autism. I've seen enough people with autism to come away completely convinced that there are multiple causes/triggers. A lot of the folks who post are convinced it's vaccines. That could well be so for their child, but their tone indicates they feel it is the only cause.

There is a lot of good information on both sites. You just have to be careful, and try to be objective when reading the info, and for me that can be hard.

Kris

Although I don't have the answer, I'm sure there are people here who could suggest better first books to read on the subject of autism. McCarthy's books are really more about dealing with a sick child IMO.

More importantly, make sure she gets in touch with her local autism resources. Our local CARD office (Center for Autism and Related Disabilities) has a huge library, as well as counselors and teachers. We also have a local autism society that get together for monthly meetings, breakfast chats, etc.

Good luck to her on this journey! :hug:

Thank you Lucigo and KristenB. I appreciate the suggestions. Right now she doesn't have a clue what to do or where to go. I have never knowingly known anyone dealing with autism. I will pass this along to her. Your families are in my thoughts.

She could also look into Yahoo Groups. TACA has one, if she wants to go that route. There are tons of Yahoo groups for autism, some are for specific states, some for specific things within autism. She should look into local resources too, there is probably some sort of organization in her town to guide her. If the child is going into early intervention, the therapists should know local resources.

She also should apply for SSI, right away, since the paperwork is fresh.

The problem is, if you haven't already guessed by reading this thread, that there are many different "camps" when it comes to autism, and the amount of information can be overwhelming. She's going to have to start making some decisions, and what she decides depends on many factors- what she believes the cause is (because there are many different theories), the resources available, the money available, the support system she has in place. If the child is close to preschool age, she needs to start reading up on the IEP process.

I'd start out by going to the library and checking out every book they have on autism. Then I'd find a local resource. Even if there isn't a local support group, therapists or agencies can sometimes find a local mom who is willing to talk and mentor-- not necessarily for their approach to treatment, but to learn how to navigate the system.

There is a good autism website which Jenny McCarthy promotes called generationrescue.org and it's got a wealth of info on it. McCarthy used naturopathic treatments and a good naturopath can go a long way in helping with autism. Whatever route she decides to go will be the best one - she's just got to find the one that fits for her and her child. Best of luck to her.

This is where I stand, too. She's on the cover of Us magazine right now with the blurb: "Beating Autism. How I saved my son. Battling doctors, a failed marriage and her own guilt, Jenny McCarthy tells how son Evan recovered from autism."

I think that gives false hope and ideas to most parents who have kids on the spectrum.

as the mother of an autistc son i say jenny is full of POO !!!! i started reading her 1st book but when i got to the part of her "needing" federal funding i literally threw it away. a big movie star struggling for money...you selfish HOG. all i could think is she is taking money away from families that really need it. my husband and i both work & we have never taken any funding or grants, just for the mere fact that we want it to be there people who need it.
now for my rant on her latest mag cover...."recovered" please like its a cold. if you read the article you'll see this is all about her. she used the word "me" a lot. her son is "progressing" not recovered, our son also used to take tantrums, hand flap, and bang his head. we have never participated in the DAN program but with patience, early intervention & his being in an autistic classroom for 4 years he is now "progressing" nicely. none of the above mentioned autistic traits are still around however he does sometimes have a minor meltdown.
jenny is a self-centered lady who is putting her son out there for the payday. in my opinion she should be ashamed

A properly trained homeopaths can read people and help with lots of things. They can see vitamin deficiencies and some skill trained experts can do chiropracty, etc. A lady on line in chat took her kid to a sacro-cranial homepath who worked on the kid and his speech is so much improved.

http://cup.columbia.edu/book/978-0-231-14636-4/autisms-false-prophets/excerpt
That is a book that talks about false stuff found in relationship to autism.

Any person can benefit from removing toxins from their body. I change when I get too much gunk in my system. If a child is sensitive to an allergen then they are going to be a better person. So I cannot see how detoxifying a child will make it Autism free. I will never get rid of SID and do not see how something that is from damage such as vaccines or is something that is from genetics or in utero could be healed. The wiring is messed up and while you can retrain the brain you cannot just miraculously heal the wiring by not eating certain foods. A brace, long-line bra, or spinal fusing will help my scoliosis but it will not cure it. I wish there were simple cures for so many things in the world.

I love my kids, and wonder every day if I'm making the best choices for them. I research endlessly, and have probably followed one rabbit trail or another... I've found some things that have worked for us, and some that haven't... But when I find something that works, that helps- I want to tell people about it. I want to raise awareness, I want to hope for more... It doesn't matter how much or how little money we have, Autism is a pretty good equalizer- we all get metaphorically punched in the gut when we get the DX, and we all figure out eventually what we feel is right to do next.

Autism is a marathon, not a sprint.

I think Jenny McCarthy is in it for herself, personally, and wants the attention. I can't believe she actually believes anybody can cure autism. My son was autistic since the day he was born. This is nothing that happened to him after he got his shots. His brain is wired differently than "typical" people. He is unique and I wouldn't change him for the world. I love him just the way he is. Yes, it has been a struggle but it is worth it to see him now, 16 years old and in high school. He is happy and makes people around him happy. What more could you want? :cool2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter