• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Autism books by Jenny McCarthy

sl_underwood

DIS Veteran
I was at Walmart yesterday and saw Jenny McCarthy had written 2 books about autism. Can anyone give me a review of these books?

I was at Walmart yesterday and saw Jenny McCarthy had written 2 books about autism. Can anyone give me a review of these books?

I have not read her books. But I did read a blurb online the other day where she says she has "cured" her son of autism. A quick search came up with a bunch of links.

I think she uses the word "recovered".

I have both.

The first is of her experience with Evan- diagnosis, various treatments, hooking up with a DAN dr and what all happened.

The second, the first half is a short recap of that first book, and the interviews she did about the first book and what all happened with that. Then the second half is stories about other parents.

She does use some swear words. It's not overwhelming, but if you're easily offended, that might be a problem. I mean, it's Jenny McCarthy, there are going to be swear words.

Most libraries have the first book by now, so you could try that route. If I were to recommend only one, I'd say the second one. Only because she does recap the things in the first book, in the second.

If you're a firm believer that the DAN approach is quack, I wouldn't bother buying either one. If you're thinking about DAN but haven't tried it, she'll convince you.

I am always skeptical of anyone who offers or purports that a child is “cured” or has “recovered”. It shows a clear lack of understanding of the Autism neurovartiant, what should be the goal is to provide the skills to “adapt” to NT society.

bookwormde

I saw the first one at the library about two weeks ago and checked it out just because I read that her son also has seizures and ds has Epilepsy, so I wasn't looking for answers about Autism, just something to read.

I related to the real life emotional part, dealing with doctors and family and that desperate mom stuff that makes you feel beyond frustrated, but then also determined and strong, so for that part alone, I think it's worth reading. It was a good break for me from all the more dauting medical type books I've been reading.

Hope this helps a little. (Oh and the swear words didn't bother me like I thought they might... I thought boy there have been times when I've wanted to scream the same things.)

I am always skeptical of anyone who offers or purports that a child is “cured” or has “recovered”. It shows a clear lack of understanding of the Autism neurovartiant, what should be the goal is to provide the skills to “adapt” to NT society.

bookwormde

This is where I stand, too. She's on the cover of Us magazine right now with the blurb: "Beating Autism. How I saved my son. Battling doctors, a failed marriage and her own guilt, Jenny McCarthy tells how son Evan recovered from autism."

I think that gives false hope and ideas to most parents who have kids on the spectrum.

This is where I stand, too. She's on the cover of Us magazine right now with the blurb: "Beating Autism. How I saved my son. Battling doctors, a failed marriage and her own guilt, Jenny McCarthy tells how son Evan recovered from autism."

I think that gives false hope and ideas to most parents who have kids on the spectrum.

Exactly! Before anyone decided whether or not to read her books, I would recommend reading the US Magazine article. That will give you a good idea of what she's all about.

My co-worker brought in a copy last week that we read at lunchtime (we're both aides in a special ed preschool class and I have a son w/Asperger's). We were both appalled at how much she thinks she knows about autism. She's convinced her son contracted autism from his MMR vaccine. She called it a "vaccine injury." She talks about "before the injury" and "after the injury." She claims she made a pact with God to cure her son and show her how to do it so she could spread the word to others. She believes that the GF/CF diet and mega vitamin doses put her son "in recovery" from autism.

As someone who works with autistic kids and as the parent of one, I am very concerned about Jenny McCarthy spreading mistruths to people who don't know the difference. I can't say whether or not her son even has autism. But if he does, I think he was destined to be high-functioning no matter what she tried. She sees it as a miracle and I see it as the way the kid would have developed anyway. She seriously thinks she "brought her child out of autism." (Just my opinion, others may feel differently. This is just how I feel after reading several articles and listening to several interviews with her.)

Now, she is starting an "autism center" in her house. She also bought the house next door to have more space. She is installing OT equipment for the kids and is planning either some kind of daycare or school. I'm wondering what will happen when she sees severely autistic kids whose parents have tried everything. She'll see that the GF/CF diet and vitamin therapy doesn't work wonders for everyone. She's also meet people who don't believe that vaccines cause autism.

I think Jenny McCarthy is in for a rude awakening. I just hope it's sooner rather than later so she can stop spreading her lies and giving parents false hope! (Again, just my opinion.)

Exactly! Before anyone decided whether or not to read her books, I would recommend reading the US Magazine article. That will give you a good idea of what she's all about.

My co-worker brought in a copy last week that we read at lunchtime (we're both aides in a special ed preschool class and I have a son w/Asperger's). We were both appalled at how much she thinks she knows about autism. She's convinced her son contracted autism from his MMR vaccine. She called it a "vaccine injury." She talks about "before the injury" and "after the injury." She claims she made a pact with God to cure her son and show her how to do it so she could spread the word to others. She believes that the GF/CF diet and mega vitamin doses put her son "in recovery" from autism.

As someone who works with autistic kids and as the parent of one, I am very concerned about Jenny McCarthy spreading mistruths to people who don't know the difference. I can't say whether or not her son even has autism. But if he does, I think he was destined to be high-functioning no matter what she tried. She sees it as a miracle and I see it as the way the kid would have developed anyway. She seriously thinks she "brought her child out of autism." (Just my opinion, others may feel differently. This is just how I feel after reading several articles and listening to several interviews with her.)

Now, she is starting an "autism center" in her house. She also bought the house next door to have more space. She is installing OT equipment for the kids and is planning either some kind of daycare or school. I'm wondering what will happen when she sees severely autistic kids whose parents have tried everything. She'll see that the GF/CF diet and vitamin therapy doesn't work wonders for everyone. She's also meet people who don't believe that vaccines cause autism.

I think Jenny McCarthy is in for a rude awakening. I just hope it's sooner rather than later so she can stop spreading her lies and giving parents false hope! (Again, just my opinion.)

I skimmed her first book, and haven't read the second. You've hit on my feelings about the book: kind of double-edged. I love that she, along with other celebrities shine a spotlight on autism. It raises awareness. However, if I've learned anything about autism, it's how much it humbles you as a parent. You meet children all across the spectrum. What works for one doesn't work for another.

However, strictly from a selfish point of view, I enjoyed the book as someone who's had some shared experiences. I laughed when she said the one time she was glad her son had autism was when he husband moved out (I know, it's not funny their marriage failed), and Evan didn't really notice. I could totally relate to that. Any time dh and I had to leave Zoe with my folks for a day or so, I could totally relate to that feeling of gratefulness that she wasn't going to have a meltdown.

I also liked the book because she describes all the emotions you feel as you're going through the diagnostic process.

Just a question..what is GF/CF?

I know GF probably stands for Gluten Free but what does CF stand for?

it's cassein free.

You guys already summed up my feelings as well. Although it's easier for me to see it as a neurovarient issue because my son never regressed. I've always felt strongly that for him it's a natural part of who he is and we just have to work a little harder for some things; although others he's got a cake walk ahead because of his memory:) I've just never viewed it as something "wrong" with him...he's just different.

But I also think that it's possible that there are several paths to end up in the autism spectrum and Jenny represents ONE of those paths. I wish there was a good spokesperson for the rest of us though.

There is a thread on the main Community Board about this. You might want to see what people there are saying. At least one person there already said she is an idiot.

Just please be careful what you say there.

OK, I finished reading the US article. I was infuriated before I even finished it.

Firstly, IMO, judging from the pictures of her son I think he is still on the spectrum. He has that same look my DS has in pictures.

Secondly, my DS is affectionate (on his terms). he's a total snuggle bug. He laughs at cartoons. Yet, he is still on the spectrum. I don't understand how she can say that because he laughs or hugs he is cured.

Thanks to everyone who responded. The only part of the book I read was the first page where she states that when a child has cancer, family and friends rally to support the family but when they hear a child has autism, they hide. I could relate to that statement, totally and thought her book might be a good read. Then my hubby told me she was some sort of a adult film actress and suggested I find out more before buying the book as I might not be buying what I thought I was. From the reviews I received here, it sounds as though it is worth reading but I think I will get it from the library rather than spend my hard earned cash. As to whether one can cure autism, I dont believe it is possible. I do think there are things we can do to aid our special children but from what everyone has said here, I think she must be deluding herself if she thinks he is no longer affected. However, there are days I would love to delude myself as well, so I guess I can relate.
Lora

Thanks to everyone who responded. The only part of the book I read was the first page where she states that when a child has cancer, family and friends rally to support the family but when they hear a child has autism, they hide. I could relate to that statement, totally and thought her book might be a good read. Then my hubby told me she was some sort of a adult film actress and suggested I find out more before buying the book as I might not be buying what I thought I was. From the reviews I received here, it sounds as though it is worth reading but I think I will get it from the library rather than spend my hard earned cash. As to whether one can cure autism, I dont believe it is possible. I do think there are things we can do to aid our special children but from what everyone has said here, I think she must be deluding herself if she thinks he is no longer affected. However, there are days I would love to delude myself as well, so I guess I can relate.
Lora

No kidding. When I speak with dd's therapists and teachers, I remind them I see her through a filter, or veil of pure love. I only see the best in her. That's why I don't want to beat up on Jenny. At the same time, she has to realize as a celebrity she's been granted a voice the rest of us don't have. It carries a huge responsibility. She can't afford to be glib, or over-simplify, or she loses street cred in our community.

Lora

I would definitely read it if the first page speaks to you. If you want the other side of the autism coin I highly recommend 'un-strange minds'. It's by a father who is an anthropologist married to a sociologist who have an autistic daughter. It got him interested in the history of autism and how different societies deal with it. It's very very interesting and makes you thankful that we are dealing with this in this era and this society.

Unstrange Minds sounds like an interesting read.

I have been afraid to pick up her books because of the whole "cure" claim. It is irrepsonsible in my opinion. I've doen some work in an EIBI room through the Thompson Neurological Center at MU, and when the trainers were describing the best case scenario, they made it clear that it was not a cure. They were very careful to use the term "indistinguishable from neurotypical peers". At least to me that is a huge difference. I worry that she is misleading parents and setting the stage for a lot of broken hearts when people can't "fix" their children

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter