Aulani with my 2 Adult Sons

bbn1122

DIS Veteran
I have been planning this trip to Aulani since 2015. My family bought a new home in 2016 so then I put it on the back burner till 2021 but unfortunately, Covid happened so here happened. So here I am about eight years later, having finally gotten back from Aulani!

My sons and I stayed at Aulani for seven nights. We stayed in Waikiki Beach one day before getting to the resort and one day after.

Our experience is going to be a lot different from families with little children. We rented a car and were away from the resort almost every day. Our feeling is if we were going to travel 10 hours from the East Coast , then we would try experience all that Oahu had to offer.

We took a direct flight out of New York’s JFK airport. We were fortunate enough to be able to fly Delta one class. The flight was 10 hours. We use long-term parking at the airport, which I prepaid for and saved about 15%. We made sure that we got to the airport early enough to enjoy the brand new Delta one lounge, I’ve only been in a couple of lounges over the years and this one is over the top beautiful. It would be a great place to say if you had a few hour layover. Our flight took off about 10:30 AM and our arrival time in Honolulu was going to be about 3:30 PM. The flight was long, but surprisingly it didn’t seem that bad. The Delta service was extremely good and having the laydown seats was a plus.

As mentioned, we rented the car. We used Enterprise and they were very, very good. We head straight to Waikiki Beach for our first night. We do not want to waste a night at Aulani. We figured we would try to get to bed at a decent time and get some rest, so we could hit the ground running the next day.

We stayed at the Hilton Garden in Waikiki Beach. It is directly across from the International Market (Mall). The hotel was nice and it served its purpose for us. We enjoyed having the mall across the street. It is gorgeous and we ate our first meal there after we just headed across the street to check out Waikiki Beach. One entrance of the mall was across from our hotel and the other side was across from the hotels that sit right on the beach. Very convenient.

Our view from our balcony and Waikiki Beach around Sunset.IMG_4624.jpeg
IMG_4637.jpeg

Day 1

Day 2

We all woke up pretty early due to the time difference. Our room reservation included breakfast. After quick breakfast, we checked out of our hotel and were on our way to Aulani.

Oahu has three major highways H1, which runs from Honolulu west towards Ko Olina, H2, which comes off H1 going towards the North Shore and H3 which goes over the mountains to the beautiful Windward side of the island. The Windward side is the way you expect Hawaii to look. It’s lush green with beautiful turquoise.

It took us about 40 minutes to get out to Aulani. The Ko Olina resort area is very pretty.
Aulani is the most beautiful resort or hotel on the entire island!
IMG_4649.jpegIMG_4650.jpeg

IMG_4651.jpeg

From information I got for these great people of the Disboards I knew to request the Ewa Tower high floor. I book a two bedroom Island Garden Villa. I forgot to mention we went early in September, which is a fantastic time to go. The points dropped significantly from the summer, and the weather was great. It wind up being a little hotter than predicted almost every day was anywhere from 87 to 90° partly sunny, and always a breeze.

We arrived at the resort about 12 noon. Unfortunately, our room wasn’t ready, but the cast member that helped us told me that I was getting my request of the Ewa (pronounced Eva) Tower high floor. She assured me it would be worth the wait.
She also told me it would probably be ready closer to 4 o’clock.😔😩

I told my sons that morning to pack a bag with their bathing suits and whatever they need just in case the room wasn’t ready.

The car was valet parked with our luggage. So we didn’t have a lot of things to work around with us. We had in search of the adult only pool where we easily found a few lounge chairs in the shade and we got changed into our bathing suits.
IMG_4653.jpeg
Adult pool.

We took advantage of the food and beverage service right to our chairs. Had a great lunch.
My son took a swim in the ocean and explored the lagoon area. I took advantage of the lazy river, the water was a little cool, and I also got in the adult for a little bit.
IMG_4655.jpeg

IMG_4659.jpegIMG_4861.jpegIMG_4897.jpeg

By 3 o’clock we were getting anxious for our room. All of changed and I went to the front desk to check on the status. I can’t member came up and pulled me out a line when she heard what I needed. She pulled out an iPad and checked and said you should be getting a text within the next eight minutes. We started talking for a couple minutes and she said let me check again and there was room 1675. Our two bedroom Villa was low cave in the Ewa Tower on the top floor. I only booked an island Garden view, but we had a view of the ocean and the luau lawn. we couldn’t ask for anything more. We were thrilled!!
IMG_4667.jpeg

Day 2 Continued

I booked our first evening dinner at AMA AMA at sunset. It did not disappoint!
Service, ambiance and food were spectacular!
IMG_4676.jpeg
IMG_4681.jpegIMG_4683.jpegIMG_4684.jpegIMG_4685.jpeg

Day 3

This day we were up early to head over to the Windward side of the island. We booked a UTV tour at Kualoa Ranch. this beautiful 4000 acre preserve, has been in the Judd family since 1850. This ranch is in the Department of Interior National Register of Historic Places.

I really think this is a must visit when going to Oahu. You don’t have to do the UTV tour. The Ranch has tour buses that will take you around. They also have horseback riding and zip lining. This is where you see the real Hawaii, the beauty of the island.

IMG_4695.jpeg

IMG_4698.jpegIMG_4723.jpegIMG_4745.jpeg

IMG_4725.jpeg

IMG_4748.jpegIMG_4761.jpeg

We received such incredible information regarding the history of Oahu, the Hawaiian people and this beautiful preserved land!
Our guides were fantastic.

After the tour we stopped at a very local hidden gem for lunch, Coral Kingdom, located five minutes from the ranch in Kaneohe. It was recommended by YouTuber, Hawaiian Traveler, Sean Kaleponi. His videos are excellent and we tried so many of his food suggestions and places to visit on the Windward side. Hawaii is known for its plate lunches. Get ready to eat plenty of Korean barbecue, Filipino food, and white rice and Mac salad.

I forgot to add that Kualoa Ranch is the setting for many movies. Jurassic Park series being one of them.

Loving your trip report so far! We are staying at Aulani for our honeymoon in November, so looking forward to reading more about your adult-centric trip. :)

Following along. We have our first Aulani stay and first trip to Hawaii booked for May 2025.

Day 3
We head back out to the Windward Side of the island. We took H3 over to Kaneohe for the day. Or plans were to visit the Byodo-In Temple and Ho’omaluhia Botanical Gardens.

The Byodo-In Temple, located at the foot of the Ko’olau Mountains in Valley of the Temples Memorial Park, welcomes people of all faiths to worship, meditate or simply appreciate its beauty and history as a non-practicing Buddhist temple. Built in 1963, the Byodo-In Temple is a Hawaii state landmark and one of the states’s best kept secrets.

IMG_4797.jpeg
IMG_4791.jpegIMG_4785.jpegIMG_4784.jpegIMG_4784.jpeg

Ho’omaluhia Botanical Gardens-
Strolling or driving through these lush 400 acres in windward Oʻahu, you will truly agree that Hoʻomaluhia is rightfully named "a peaceful refuge." Opened in 1982, this garden in Kāneʻohe features plantings from major tropical regions around the world grouped geographically. Geographical regions represented by our botanical collections: Philippines, Malaysia, Tropical America, India & Sri Lanka, Melanesia, Hawaii, Polynesia, and Africa. The Garden was designed and built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to provide flood protection for Kāneʻohe.

IMG_4815.jpeg
IMG_4809.jpegIMG_4806.jpeg
IMG_4832.jpeg

The Windward side is spectacular. When you take H3, you will begin to see the mountains become very green and lush. You the go thru a tunnel thru the mountains and come out on the other side to see the ocean and mountain landscapes.

After these two stops we found our way to a local restaurant for lunch Kim Chee 1 (Korean dishes/Bbq). This was our favorite food of the whole trip. We had the plate lunch special. The below menu price is from 3 years ago, I copied of the internet. We paid $13.99 and it was the best deal on the island.
Service was super friendly. The food was delicious!!!🤩🤩🤩🤩
IMG_5126.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4815.jpeg
    IMG_4815.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 0
I can’t remember which nights we ate at Off the Hook at Aulani and which night we ventured across the street to Monkey Pods but we did eat at both places.

Off the Hook does “to go orders” till 5pm, after that it is table service. All seating is outdoors. It’s near the Ewa Tower and AMA AMA. The service was great and food too.
IMG_4768.jpeg
IMG_4769.jpegIMG_4767.jpeg

Monkey Pods is across the street. You will find https://koolinashops.com/
This a small shopping center with Island Country Market/ ABC Store, plus restaurants, coffee shop and specialty shops etc.
We went to the ABC store to get a few provisions the first night. It was pricey.

Monkey Pods was very nice. A two story restaurant with live entertainment. Menu was pretty extensive. Great service.
We thought we would be back over to try other restaurants but we were so tried most evening. The time difference and Jet lag was tough for a few days. https://www.monkeypodkitchen.com/

We got dinner two times at Ulu Cafe, the dinner entrees were really good.
Ulu Cafe serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.
This is your Quick Service option, with beverage stations.

We found a supermarket “Foodland” in the town of Kapolei which is 10 minutes from Aulani. We stocked up on stuff for breakfast.

The Oleo Room opens at 5pm, it is near the lobby. Menu is Sushi and Sashimi, plus appetizers or small plates. We did not try this food option.

There is also Makahiki, like AMA AMA this is a prefixed menu at $75 per Adult. The entrees and dessert look great but appetizers were so-so. We passed on this place.
They do have a Character Breakfast. I do not know the price for children.
Menus:
IMG_5128.jpeg
IMG_5129.jpegIMG_5127.jpegIMG_5130.jpeg

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest