First timer with a lot of questions

There is no cancellation fee this far out, but if you are still going you would just be modifying your reservation, even if you opt to go to another resort

we have done a lot of split stays, and they can be a perfect way to experience more of the world. We always plan a park day or water park day for moving day. Just pack up your stuff in the morning and call Bell Services to pick it up...when you see it again it will be at your new resort. We've had to call for it a couple of times, and others it has just materialized in our room...it's like magic.

As for water parks, you'll find it much easier to go to Blizzard Beach. Unless you're planning a Universal trip I wouldn't even venture outside of wdw until it's time to go home. We tried it on our first trip and went back as quickly as possible.
After all the wonderful tips and suggestions, the plans I already made when right out the window! I am NOT a good vacation planner! haha I think I had tunnel vision because I didn't really include my daughter in any of the choices and I was ONLY focused on 1 hotel. As it gets closer when I can look at the weather forecast, I can book a water park if its nice out.

I did forget to ask. As we will be out and about the majority of the days, most 8 year old's will be able to manage walking for long periods with some breaks right? I can if I have to but I don't want to have to carry her through the park to the car if rent one or monorail if she decides to check out and say OK I am done for the day! haha I know I will have to buy her some comfortable walking shoes.

I've *never* had housekeeping "push back" and I've requested extra sheets on at least 6 visits. I guess it doesn't hurt to bring your own set of sheets just in case, but I'd much rather use the resort supplies so I don't have to worry about washing sheets during my vacation. I also don't want to have to worry about housekeeping accidentally taking my personal sheets. A friend of ours took their own blanket for the bed -- just a plain dark green blanket purchased at Walmart for the trip -- and it disappeared from their room when housekeeping changed their bedding one day. It was nothing fancy, so I don't think it was a housekeeper stealing it. I think it got wrapped up in the pile of bedding for the room and accidentally got mixed in with the resort laundry...even though it was a completely contrasting color. Also, a lot of resorts now have rolling supply cabinets with sheets, towels, and other supplies out in the hallway for at least a portion of each day so guests can grab what they need. I don't know if they do this at every resort, but I definitely saw it at AoA (suites), Pop Century, BWI, and AKL in 2022 and 2024.

The air mattress is a good idea.
I will have to look into a waterproof laundry bag and put her bedding in there so there is no mistaking theirs from ours. I will have to wash them before leaving for the day so there is no smell when we get back. That is also something that comes with the bedwetting....the odor ugh. I have to keep her window cracked to to help and a lifetime supply of Febreeze.
Do any of the hotels have portable kids/full beds?

I did not read through the whole thread, so I repeat anything sorry.
1st question, where in Michigan are you coming from?
As for the resorts, if you are going to be at the parks most of the time, why spend $200-$300 more per night when you will not be there much?
Have you checked out POP? Our DD's and us love the skyliner and it's a big plus for transportation, not to mention the $$$ you will save. Remember you can always take some time and just hop on the monorail and take it to the other hotels, we do that a lot.
As for the bed, since you're driving, bring a couple of queen size waterproof mattress pads. We actually just use these without sheets for the short time our DD had issues. This way if there is an accident, you can swap it and throw the other in the wash and not worry about sheets.
As for her birthday, make sure to get a birthday button when you check-in and have them put scotch tape over her name so it doesn't rub off. And she can wear that button as many days as she wants, it's a birthday trip so let her totally enjoy it.

I did forget to ask. As we will be out and about the majority of the days, most 8 year old's will be able to manage walking for long periods with some breaks right? I can if I have to but I don't want to have to carry her through the park to the car if rent one or monorail if she decides to check out and say OK I am done for the day! haha I know I will have to buy her some comfortable walking shoes.

My daughter was 8 when we went for the first time. We actually stayed off site that time so no afternoon breaks. She did fine, no worse than the rest of us. I personally can’t even imagine putting an 8 year old in a stroller or carrying her. If you’re staying onsite, it’s a lot easier to go back to the hotel. Even if not for a nap, but just some chill in the room downtime.

After all the wonderful tips and suggestions, the plans I already made when right out the window! I am NOT a good vacation planner! haha I think I had tunnel vision because I didn't really include my daughter in any of the choices and I was ONLY focused on 1 hotel. As it gets closer when I can look at the weather forecast, I can book a water park if its nice out.
if you're going to blizzard beach you don't have to book it. If you plan to go more than 1 time, have them add the water park option to your park tickets...it's cheaper than 2 water park visits. But this can be added when you're there at any Guest Services.

I think you're a great planner...you're here. right? I can't even begin to tell you how many mistakes I made on our first trip and many of the things that went great, I was just lucky

I am already planning on bringing surprises that she wont know till the morning of her birthday. I am going to get a hot air tank because I want to put like 50 balloons in the room! HAHA
Since you’re driving, you can buy some Disney stuff in advance and bring it with you either for the drive or to surprise when you arrive (FiveBelow has a ton of discounted Disney merch tshirts, kiddo jewelry, arts and crafts - sometimes even ears).

I did not read through the whole thread, so I repeat anything sorry.
1st question, where in Michigan are you coming from?
As for the resorts, if you are going to be at the parks most of the time, why spend $200-$300 more per night when you will not be there much?
Have you checked out POP? Our DD's and us love the skyliner and it's a big plus for transportation, not to mention the $$$ you will save. Remember you can always take some time and just hop on the monorail and take it to the other hotels, we do that a lot.
As for the bed, since you're driving, bring a couple of queen size waterproof mattress pads. We actually just use these without sheets for the short time our DD had issues. This way if there is an accident, you can swap it and throw the other in the wash and not worry about sheets.
As for her birthday, make sure to get a birthday button when you check-in and have them put scotch tape over her name so it doesn't rub off. And she can wear that button as many days as she wants, it's a birthday trip so let her totally enjoy it.
We are in Milford which is not too far from Detroit.

My daughter and I will be sitting down this weekend to go over ALL the suggestions that were given to me here. Thanks again everyone! I had only one hotel in mind and really didn't research Disney enough.

How old was DD when she had "issues" I will be buying an air mattress (again, another suggestion by someone here) for the trip and I think I might be using it at home too as her current mattress has seen better days. I really don't want to buy a brand new one for her until she at least slows down or I can find better protection she can wear. The pull ups she uses don't cut it anymore.

Planning your first vacation to WDW is overwhelming. If you are now considering a split stay…. Couple of questions. You have Contemporary already booked? Is it a package reservation with room & tickets? Or just a room & you’re buying tickets separately? Do you have a discount on the reservation?

I’m asking because ticket prices are more economical the more days you buy at once. For example, buying a 7 day ticket is cheaper than buying a 4 day & a 3 day ticket. So if you’re booking a package with tickets, get that for the first hotel stay, even if that stay will only cover 4 days. Then book the 2nd resort as just a resort room, not a package. The rest of the ticket days will still be valid from the first stay & you can use them during that 2 nd resort stay.

My daughter was 8 when we went for the first time. We actually stayed off site that time so no afternoon breaks. She did fine, no worse than the rest of us. I personally can’t even imagine putting an 8 year old in a stroller or carrying her. If you’re staying onsite, it’s a lot easier to go back to the hotel. Even if not for a nap, but just some chill in the room downtime.
The thought of a stroller never crossed my mind. And she would happily ride in one just to be funny! haha My sister visited me about 6 months ago and brough one of those portable cribs for her son. Guess where I found my daughter in the morning??? Yep in crib! Her son was having a moment and slept with her that night so I guess the vacancy sign was flashing! She isn't heavy at all and in a pinch I could easily carry her back to the hotel if needed. If I decide to buy things in the park, is there a charge to have them deliver it to my hotel so I don't have to carry it the whole time?

I am thinking Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge or Nashville. I don't think there is a lot to do in Nashville for kids for a short layover so maybe Pigeon Forge. I want to check out the Titanic exhibit they have. I love the history behind it. I know they have a container of water that is the same temperature of the water when it sank. You can put your hand in it to see how long you can last. Plus they have a few go cart tracks there too.
They have a Soarin like ride in Pigeon Forge now.

Since you’re driving, you can buy some Disney stuff in advance and bring it with you either for the drive or to surprise when you arrive (FiveBelow has a ton of discounted Disney merch tshirts, kiddo jewelry, arts and crafts - sometimes even ears).
Good idea. I have seen pictures of families with Thing 1 Thing 2 shirts. I love those!

If I decide to buy things in the park, is there a charge to have them deliver it to my hotel so I don't have to carry it the whole time?

That used to be a thing, but was discontinued with Covid shut downs & has not returned. So unfortunately you need to carry it with you. Each park has paid lockers you can use, so you could store stuff there if you need to.

You can however ship from the stores directly to your home for a fee of course. I’ve only done that once with a heavy fragile item I didn’t want to bring on the plane. But some people use it regularly

Planning your first vacation to WDW is overwhelming. If you are now considering a split stay…. Couple of questions. You have Contemporary already booked? Is it a package reservation with room & tickets? Or just a room & you’re buying tickets separately? Do you have a discount on the reservation?

I’m asking because ticket prices are more economical the more days you buy at once. For example, buying a 7 day ticket is cheaper than buying a 4 day & a 3 day ticket. So if you’re booking a package with tickets, get that for the first hotel stay, even if that stay will only cover 4 days. Then book the 2nd resort as just a resort room, not a package. The rest of the ticket days will still be valid from the first stay & you can use them during that 2 nd resort stay.
Just the room for now. They said I can call back up upgrade to a package if I wanted to. There were so many to choose from so I just booked the room so I can decide at a later time....like now lol
My friend said if you live in Florida, you get a discount on admission. My cousin lives outside Miami but I don't know if she can buy the tickets for me to use though. Is that true?

Just the room for now. They said I can call back up upgrade to a package if I wanted to. There were so many to choose from so I just booked the room so I can decide at a later time....like now lol
My friend said if you live in Florida, you get a discount on admission. My cousin lives outside Miami but I don't know if she can buy the tickets for me to use though. Is that true?

That is true, but for Florida resident discounted tickets you need proof of a Florida address when you first use them… like a drivers license, bank statement or utility bill with your name & address. So buying for an out of state user isn’t possible. There are a few reputable discount ticket brokers on line. Undercover Tourist is a popular one a lot of Dis posters use.

waterproof laundry bag and put her bedding in there so there is no mistaking theirs from ours.
Use what Disney has, depending on housekeeping schedule - you may have to put in trash bag and set outside. Try to keep an extra set or two in room.
I will have to wash them before leaving for the day so there is no smell when we get back
Too much work for you and also a time killer, just bag it up and place outside. Open up one of those can type air freshener.

My thought of having a Dr. note was also to justify for daily housekeeping. ( you can figure a way to be discreet and not upset her)

Honestly, if you are doing a parks-centric trip, I'd look at a room at AllStars, POP, or AoA. The rooms are big enough and the theming is wonderful!! THese resorts are designed for kids!! Book room-only; you can buy Disney tickets practically at the last minute for a whole bunch of reliable sources, and with the miracle of the internet, they are sent to you in minutes... don't have to buy months in advance and hope the hard-copy ticket arrives in time!!

I don't mean to offend anyone, but you might ask about incontinence protection on the DISabilities board. The people over there are wonderfully supportive, as they've walked the walk with kids who have different abilities and circumstances. They might have suggestions and sources for incontinence protection that those of us here might not know about.

Keep asking your questions here; we are a bunch of friendly folk who love to share what we know about Disney!

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest