Aulani - Resale Availabilty

A big draw of DVC for me is that it has a viable (perhaps fairly robust) resale market. I am not sure if other systems have the same attraction. This is important to me because it gives me an out should I need it. I have heard horrible timeshare stories how people can't even give away their contract so that don't have to continue paying skyrocketing MFs.

LAX
I don't agree with your assumptions. You admittedly don't know about the other options but I'd suggest that many also have just as reasonable an out today if you make good choices, we don't know about the future in general but they'll likely all track together and either be viable or not together. I think it's smart to consider an exit strategy but not smart to buy a timeshare thinking you'll need it or to pay considerably more largely for the option which is why it's usually a bad idea to buy multiple smaller contracts and pay significantly more for that purpose. With DVC you're significantly over paying for that option when any volume is at play and it is for Aulani. The issue on any timeshare is to do your homework and consider as many factors as possible, for HI this includes other timeshares IMO. I'd suggest that for HI DVC is a poor choice for most people because it only gives Oahu as a viable option. We're going next year (and every 4-5 years or so for the last 35) for 3 weeks/3 islands 2 or 3 larger villas on Oahu and either Kauai or The BI as family joins us plus Maui on business. All of this with timeshares, probably all Marriott. I've stayed with Marriott, Wyndham, Westin, and what's now Diamond (Embassy at the time). There are quite a number of DIS members who were DVC only and ventured out to other timeshares and I can't think of a one that has said they wished they hadn't. Normally when you hear horror stories or even see someone on DIS that owned a timeshare, it's because they bought retail for something they didn't understand, wasn't a good option for them, didn't learn the system and didn't use it to the fullest advantage.

I'm certainly not an expert on other timeshare properties but I've drug my husband to a couple timeshare presentations in Maui over the years for a free something. One was embassy and the other a Westin. Both presentations were painful, never remotely begun to pencil out and the mf's had potential to skyrocket. Instead we take their offers to visit at drastic reductions in price. I hear you can't rely on them continually sending the offers but we've been getting them for the past 15 years now. Typically 5 nights at Sheraton, Westin and will never participate in a presentation again for the extra whatever. I'm sure there's a learning curve but for me dvc works because I can stay at Aulani or dl or wdw and can still stay at the Fairmont kea lani.. on off dvc years. Aulani is at least an extremely affordable choice for some stays and I have a pretty good indication that the direct and resale contracts we own are worth something if we had to get out of them. I have more trust in Disney than the pink whatever it is this year on kannapali beach.

I'm certainly not an expert on other timeshare properties but I've drug my husband to a couple timeshare presentations in Maui over the years for a free something. One was embassy and the other a Westin. Both presentations were painful, never remotely begun to pencil out and the mf's had potential to skyrocket. Instead we take their offers to visit at drastic reductions in price. I hear you can't rely on them continually sending the offers but we've been getting them for the past 15 years now. Typically 5 nights at Sheraton, Westin and will never participate in a presentation again for the extra whatever. I'm sure there's a learning curve but for me dvc works because I can stay at Aulani or dl or wdw and can still stay at the Fairmont kea lani.. on off dvc years. Aulani is at least an extremely affordable choice for some stays and I have a pretty good indication that the direct and resale contracts we own are worth something if we had to get out of them. I have more trust in Disney than the pink whatever it is this year on kannapali beach.
Sales presentations are not sufficient to compare or judge a timeshare. One needs to investigate independently so that when they lie to you one will know when it's happening and it's likely best just to skip them altogether. Still, when HI is an important part of the long term vacation planning they are often a far better choice and DVC only a reasonable choice for a small subset of those planning to visit routinely.

Sales presentations are not sufficient to compare or judge a timeshare. One needs to investigate independently so that when they lie to you one will know when it's happening and it's likely best just to skip them altogether. Still, when HI is an important part of the long term vacation planning they are often a far better choice and DVC only a reasonable choice for a small subset of those planning to visit routinely.
Most of us have heard of some timeshare horror stories. That's one reason many of us waited so long before jumping into DVC. What's the best way to do research for those who are thinking of branching out beyond DVC (e.g. Marriott timeshares)? Redweek? Tugbbs? Ask questions here on the dis?

Most of us have heard of some timeshare horror stories. That's one reason many of us waited so long before jumping into DVC. What's the best way to do research for those who are thinking of branching out beyond DVC (e.g. Marriott timeshares)? Redweek? Tugbbs? Ask questions here on the dis?
First I'd do some soul searching. Buying DVC AND another timeshare can be a great choice for many but it requires additional volume. In addition one needs to be willing to get an education up front (it seems you are), plan ahead even more than DVC, pay cash, be OK with the compromises and risks of timeshares and that there is a timeshare or timeshare system that will get you where you want to go. Getting you there and having a timeshare there are not the same thing.

I'd say if all of those fit, one needs at least the equivalent of a 2 BR yearly or similar volume, more is better. As for where to get info, the things you mentioned are ALL a good choice. Redweeks, the exchange company directories (accessible to non members), timeshare company websites and the like are great places to get a feel for what/where on the timeshares. TUG is likely the best single place, esp if one has a paid membership to get access to reviews/ratings. I'd also add timesharing today and there are a couple of other sites similar to TUG. Email lists, Facebook and Yahoo groups are also great once you start narrowing down. DIS and similar are great places to start not because you'll get a ton of info but because it'll be people with perspective on DVC and other timeshares and it'll help you focus in on the best choices.

So assuming it seems to be a good choice to you, decide where you want to go and how you'll use it. See who has options that work for where and how you need. In general I think most people are best off with a mini system or similar like Bluegreen, Wyndham, Worldmark, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt or similar; esp for DVC members due to the similarities. Once you have sufficient knowledge and know what fits for your situation, the best choices will be fairly obvious.

Make sure you learn about club vs associate or affiliate resorts which are linked but not legally a part of the group so they could go away and often have limited availability, esp for the points systems. Investigate the likelihood of getting what you want even if you plan ahead and if there is a VIP system or other reservation preference that will affect the change of you getting what you want. VIP systems are almost never worth paying for. Here are a few thoughts on some of the systems.

Wyndham: likely the best mix of resorts, quality, price, volume and flexibility. Not all resorts are high quality but most are though not necessarily consistently up to Marriott/DVC standards.
Bluegreen: likely the best value if it works esp for exchanging and esp where considerable volume is involved. A lot of resorts but not as many as Wyndham and some are not great and most not to the level of DVC.
Marriott Trust points: Flexible, fairly expensive like DVC. Marriott has a bunch of top resorts in great places.
Marriott Weeks: Even though this feels less flexible, it can actually be the best choice for many. Buying 2 weeks that can be reserved together can be the best option and they don't have to be the same resort or same location. For example, I own 12 Marriott weeks and 2 are lockoff's. So a month or so ago I reserved them all. I separated the lockoff's into 4 weeks and reserved them consecutively then the next 2 weeks in HH (multiple villas) then HI (Oahu). So using the 13 month reservation option and the ability to reserve consecutively (& concurrently), I was able to reserve up to 15 months out and guarantee my HHI weeks which was my main goal.
Worldmark, Hyatt, Hilton: I don't know as well. Worldmark is more out west and is tied to Wyndham currently so there are crossover options.

Lastly, make sure you know things can and WILL change over time so have a healthy dose of cynicism and be able to separate the sales process and the system itself, esp for some. Just spend some time, it'll feel overwhelming at first but things will become more clear as you learn.

First I'd do some soul searching. Buying DVC AND another timeshare can be a great choice for many but it requires additional volume. In addition one needs to be willing to get an education up front (it seems you are), plan ahead even more than DVC, pay cash, be OK with the compromises and risks of timeshares and that there is a timeshare or timeshare system that will get you where you want to go. Getting you there and having a timeshare there are not the same thing.

I'd say if all of those fit, one needs at least the equivalent of a 2 BR yearly or similar volume, more is better. As for where to get info, the things you mentioned are ALL a good choice. Redweeks, the exchange company directories (accessible to non members), timeshare company websites and the like are great places to get a feel for what/where on the timeshares. TUG is likely the best single place, esp if one has a paid membership to get access to reviews/ratings. I'd also add timesharing today and there are a couple of other sites similar to TUG. Email lists, Facebook and Yahoo groups are also great once you start narrowing down. DIS and similar are great places to start not because you'll get a ton of info but because it'll be people with perspective on DVC and other timeshares and it'll help you focus in on the best choices.

So assuming it seems to be a good choice to you, decide where you want to go and how you'll use it. See who has options that work for where and how you need. In general I think most people are best off with a mini system or similar like Bluegreen, Wyndham, Worldmark, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt or similar; esp for DVC members due to the similarities. Once you have sufficient knowledge and know what fits for your situation, the best choices will be fairly obvious.

Make sure you learn about club vs associate or affiliate resorts which are linked but not legally a part of the group so they could go away and often have limited availability, esp for the points systems. Investigate the likelihood of getting what you want even if you plan ahead and if there is a VIP system or other reservation preference that will affect the change of you getting what you want. VIP systems are almost never worth paying for. Here are a few thoughts on some of the systems.

Wyndham: likely the best mix of resorts, quality, price, volume and flexibility. Not all resorts are high quality but most are though not necessarily consistently up to Marriott/DVC standards.
Bluegreen: likely the best value if it works esp for exchanging and esp where considerable volume is involved. A lot of resorts but not as many as Wyndham and some are not great and most not to the level of DVC.
Marriott Trust points: Flexible, fairly expensive like DVC. Marriott has a bunch of top resorts in great places.
Marriott Weeks: Even though this feels less flexible, it can actually be the best choice for many. Buying 2 weeks that can be reserved together can be the best option and they don't have to be the same resort or same location. For example, I own 12 Marriott weeks and 2 are lockoff's. So a month or so ago I reserved them all. I separated the lockoff's into 4 weeks and reserved them consecutively then the next 2 weeks in HH (multiple villas) then HI (Oahu). So using the 13 month reservation option and the ability to reserve consecutively (& concurrently), I was able to reserve up to 15 months out and guarantee my HHI weeks which was my main goal.
Worldmark, Hyatt, Hilton: I don't know as well. Worldmark is more out west and is tied to Wyndham currently so there are crossover options.

Lastly, make sure you know things can and WILL change over time so have a healthy dose of cynicism and be able to separate the sales process and the system itself, esp for some. Just spend some time, it'll feel overwhelming at first but things will become more clear as you learn.

Thanks for the useful info. I admittedly don't know anything about other timeshare systems since I am even relatively new to the DVC world. I certainly would entertain the idea of branching out as I really don't have the intention of going to WDW/DLR/AUL more than once every two to three years. Of the ones you listed, which ones have a resale market akin to DVC?

LAX

Thanks for the useful info. I admittedly don't know anything about other timeshare systems since I am even relatively new to the DVC world. I certainly would entertain the idea of branching out as I really don't have the intention of going to WDW/DLR/AUL more than once every two to three years. Of the ones you listed, which ones have a resale market akin to DVC?

LAX
It partly depends on whether you're looking at buying or selling. It's a little more jerky jerky with buying/selling other timeshares. I'd spend time learning before I spent too much time looking for where to buy. As one goes through that, they'll pick up info on closing companies and selling companies. Ebay, redweeks, TUG along with a number companies even craigslist are places to start. Redweeks will give you access indirectly to other sellers. I'd divide timeshares up into those worth owning and those that aren't. I'd also divide them up by cost between those that are free or nearly so and those that legitimately more expensive. Don't' let the lack of resale value sway you from the best choice, often the things you can get for free or nearly so are the best choice. One shouldn't buy to sell later and if one did get truly stuck, there are ways to get rid of them if needed.

Last edited:

Thank you, Dean! This is very helpful. Which timeshare(s) provide good options for being able to book good international locations (e.g. Europe and Asia) if desired?

Thank you, Dean! This is very helpful. Which timeshare(s) provide good options for being able to book good international locations (e.g. Europe and Asia) if desired?
To be honest, I'm most familiar with US, Canada (somewhat), MX, Caribbean and the like. I'm much less familiar with Europe, Australia, South America and the Far East. I wouldn't buy with a single specific trip in mind though. Marriott has options in Spain, France, Australia and Thailand plus 4 in the Caribbean and 6 in HI (4 islands). Wyndham does HI fairly well along with Australia and is good for HI. Diamond is likely the best option for a mini system for Europe but I'm not as familiar. For Europe and the like it's important to educate yourself to know what you're getting since hotels and timeshares tend to be not as nice across the board for some areas.

Curious as to why Hilton isn't high on your list?
As I stated, I don't know them as well but I have been to some of their resorts and discussed their system at times. They appear to have a decent to good points system and they do have very good resorts. There are owners here on DIS and at least some of them seem to think Hilton is a top choice for alternate travel. But what's perfect for me might not be for you. For anyone looking this direction, just do the homework. If one is sufficiently educated, the best choices should become clear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter