Aulani - Resale Availabilty

hayesdvc

DIS Veteran
In stalking the resale market for many years, I do not remember a property already having so many resale large contracts on the market as compared to the beginning direct sales date. This does not even take into consideration that this property is still selling direct.

Did these direct buyers not realize that were more additional cost involved in enjoying this resort (i.e., airfare, etc)

Am i wrong about my observation? If not, what do you think these reasons? Have you seen anything similar to other DVC properties?

Would you care to share the data that supports your observation? I just looked at two resale sites and the numbers of listed deeds by resort doesn't seem to show any particular trends. One site had 15 Aulani deeds listed, but it also had 10 Grand Floridian deeds listed as well. VGF sales started about three years after Aulani and is only half the size of Aulani in terms of declared DVC inventory. Since Aulani has been on the market longer than VGF and is at least twice the size of VGF, is having a few more deeds for sale indicative of anything?

By the way, that same site had 14 deeds listed for BCV. If Aulani has 15 deeds for sale and BCV has 14 deeds for sale, what conclusions should we draw? And there are 12 PVB deeds listed as well. What's up with that?

Of course, I only did a single snapshot of two resale sites. If I looked at the resale data over an extended period and included several different resale sites, maybe the data would reveal something else.

Aulani actually has much less additional costs involved for us. We're west coast and airfare is not only much less cost but also much quicker flight. There's no park tickets, easily stop by Costco for food so no disney dining. That said the resale price for Aulani is much lower than comparable wdw properties with similar expiration dates.

Aulani seems to appeal to west coast or Japanese buyers. I think most dvc owners are east coast so there's less market for Aulani.

For many dates the point charts reflect Japanese holidays and so a west coast owner wanting winter get away can travel low season points wise whereas many condo properties on the islands charge a premium for January-February stays.

I just purchased a subsidized small contract for $80 pp. With a $5.28 pp mf we now get $85/night hotel stays. Not bad for a quick escape to Hawaii in the winter. You pretty much have to own at Aulani to get standard hotel or standard 3 bedroom villas.

Wanted to add re cost of a week vacation. Our week long stay At Aulani; Airfare is BOGO $119 with Alaska airlines visa so about $250 pp. Car rental for the week is $160. Hotel for a week at Aulani is around $500. There is no way I could spend a week at DL or Wdw including airfare for that. There's actually no way I could even find a 1* hotel with free parking at $85/night at any property on any Hawaiian island for that. The first stay more than pays the initial buy in in my mind.

Last edited:
In stalking the resale market for many years, I do not remember a property already having so many resale large contracts on the market as compared to the beginning direct sales date. This does not even take into consideration that this property is still selling direct.

Did these direct buyers not realize that were more additional cost involved in enjoying this resort (i.e., airfare, etc)

Am i wrong about my observation? If not, what do you think these reasons? Have you seen anything similar to other DVC properties?
I think it's hard to say. Newer resorts are going to have larger contracts due to the higher points costs. For HI, even for the highest end options, owners don't stay as consistently as on the Mainland. I saw data at one point that suggested for Marriott HI resorts it was one around 50% including Maui. The additional costs and extra time needed for most are factors. With DVC we often see the allure affect people's choice whether it's HI or the new high end option like Poly. IF Aulani is available out of proportion then my guess is the largest factor is that the reality of usage is that people are able to use it far less consistently than they thought they would. All of the other factors apply, poor home resort choice, financial realities, changing preference and the like.

Wanted to add re cost of a week vacation. Our week long stay At Aulani; Airfare is BOGO $119 with Alaska airlines visa so about $250 pp. Car rental for the week is $160. Hotel for a week at Aulani is around $500. There is no way I could spend a week at DL or Wdw including airfare for that. There's actually no way I could even find a 1* hotel with free parking at $85/night at any property on any Hawaiian island for that. The first stay more than pays the initial buy in in my mind.
Thanks for the info on the AA visa. And I thought my Hawaiian Air CC was good, but obviously not, compared to AA. Are there any restrictions on the BOGO $119?

Aulani actually has much less additional costs involved for us. We're west coast and airfare is not only much less cost but also much quicker flight. There's no park tickets, easily stop by Costco for food so no disney dining. That said the resale price for Aulani is much lower than comparable wdw properties with similar expiration dates.

Aulani seems to appeal to west coast or Japanese buyers. I think most dvc owners are east coast so there's less market for Aulani.

For many dates the point charts reflect Japanese holidays and so a west coast owner wanting winter get away can travel low season points wise whereas many condo properties on the islands charge a premium for January-February stays.

I just purchased a subsidized small contract for $80 pp. With a $5.28 pp mf we now get $85/night hotel stays. Not bad for a quick escape to Hawaii in the winter. You pretty much have to own at Aulani to get standard hotel or standard 3 bedroom villas.

How recent was your purchase? I have been looking for a subsidized AUL contract for a while and haven't seen any listed. In any event, I agree travel cost for west coast residents isn't really that much more than flying east. Plus, there is no need to buy park tickets although plenty of DVC members often go WDW/DL without setting a foot in the park.

LAX

Aulani has a room tax that must be paid at the front desk, it also is a stand alone venue, you need to enjoy Hawaii to stay there. WDW resorts have move to do, four theme parks, DS, and other Florida attractions.

:earsboy: Bill

How recent was your purchase? I have been looking for a subsidized AUL contract for a while and haven't seen any listed. In any event, I agree travel cost for west coast residents isn't really that much more than flying east. Plus, there is no need to buy park tickets although plenty of DVC members often go WDW/DL without setting a foot in the park.

LAX
Don't know if you saw it, but the timeshare store just emailed out a 160 point subsidized Aulani for $95 this morning.

LAX
Not sure how long contract I purchased was on the market but I offered same day I saw it a little over a month ago. I was actually just about to pull trigger on copper creek add on and saw the small Aulani subsidized at $88. About 10 minutes after I emailed an offer of $80 broker called to verify and then called back a minute later with accepted offer. Closing went relatively quickly. I've been watching closely since and have seen a few more subsidized contracts which are typically gone in a couple days if priced fairly. The one posted today at timeshare store seems fair priced at $95 but it's an international seller so closing may take a little longer. Some brokers don't advertise as subsidized so you need to look at mf to determine if subsidized. And then some brokers like the one listed today is not advertised as subsidized on their website - just in the email. I think anything between $80-95 for Aulani subsidized with most or all 2017 points is a good deal. $95 is a little higher than I'd like to be but mf savings add up quickly. Aulani closing fees are higher but Fidelity offered closing with or without title insurance. I saved $300 without title insurance and title company still did a full search.

Not sure how long contract I purchased was on the market but I offered same day I saw it a little over a month ago. I was actually just about to pull trigger on copper creek add on and saw the small Aulani subsidized at $88. About 10 minutes after I emailed an offer of $80 broker called to verify and then called back a minute later with accepted offer. Closing went relatively quickly. I've been watching closely since and have seen a few more subsidized contracts which are typically gone in a couple days if priced fairly. The one posted today at timeshare store seems fair priced at $95 but it's an international seller so closing may take a little longer. Some brokers don't advertise as subsidized so you need to look at mf to determine if subsidized. And then some brokers like the one listed today is not advertised as subsidized on their website - just in the email. I think anything between $80-95 for Aulani subsidized with most or all 2017 points is a good deal. $95 is a little higher than I'd like to be but mf savings add up quickly. Aulani closing fees are higher but Fidelity offered closing with or without title insurance. I saved $300 without title insurance and title company still did a full search.

Perhaps that's the problem. I don't subscribe to these email lists because I already have enough junk emails. Plus, I am not the type to outbid others for a contract, especially when I already have one (BLT). I am pretty much just looking for the right deal to come along, so if a subsidized AUL contract is already snapped up before it hits the website, it's probably priced too high for me to even consider. However, I certainly would be willing to pay $80 (ie: yours) if it's not a particularly large contract. Congrats for getting that deal!

LAX

Thanks for the info on the AA visa. And I thought my Hawaiian Air CC was good, but obviously not, compared to AA. Are there any restrictions on the BOGO $119?
Yes. The biggest is they stopped letting you book first class a couple years ago. Not that Alaska airlines first class is much to speak of, but it did make redeye tolerable. Now can only use bogo for coach. The nice thing about Alaska visa is that more than one family member can have one. Helps for multiple trips or if bringing the gang. Their mileage fares are relatively inexpensive for Hawaii too. Easy to pick up 12.5-20k each way at least from Portland, Seattle or anchorage. Not sure what will happen to their program now that they merged with Virgin. I guess time will tell.

Yes. The biggest is they stopped letting you book first class a couple years ago. Not that Alaska airlines first class is much to speak of, but it did make redeye tolerable. Now can only use bogo for coach. The nice thing about Alaska visa is that more than one family member can have one. Helps for multiple trips or if bringing the gang. Their mileage fares are relatively inexpensive for Hawaii too. Easy to pick up 12.5-20k each way at least from Portland, Seattle or anchorage. Not sure what will happen to their program now that they merged with Virgin. I guess time will tell.
That's cray/awesome! We go on holidays so Ive never paid less than $600 pp on Alaska from Seattle.

That's cray/awesome! We go on holidays so Ive never paid less than $600 pp on Alaska from Seattle.

They really jack up the price for any holiday. They also seem to know about any school holiday such as half day weeks, which schools start and end vacations... if able to travel outside those parameters then you can get awesome airfare with them to OgG or hnl. Not so much other islands. The other key is willing to take the redeye home and later arrival time.

Edit to add I just checked and they actually have plenty of availability even summer dates at $275 each way from sea. With bogo $119 it comes out to $334 rt per person total fare.

Last edited:
Perhaps that's the problem. I don't subscribe to these email lists because I already have enough junk emails. Plus, I am not the type to outbid others for a contract, especially when I already have one (BLT). I am pretty much just looking for the right deal to come along, so if a subsidized AUL contract is already snapped up before it hits the website, it's probably priced too high for me to even consider. However, I certainly would be willing to pay $80 (ie: yours) if it's not a particularly large contract. Congrats for getting that deal!

LAX

I would highly recommend subscribing to the Fidelity one. The prices are very reasonable and fair and because of that, they often do not hit the website.

Aulani has a room tax that must be paid at the front desk, it also is a stand alone venue, you need to enjoy Hawaii to stay there. WDW resorts have move to do, four theme parks, DS, and other Florida attractions.

:earsboy: Bill
The room tax is currently at 9.25%. That percentage goes up with time and there's a current proposal to increase it considerably for the next 10 years to help fund a rail system. It's levied on the mf's one pays. Room taxes are included in wdw property mf's making Aulani dvc stay fees far higher than any dvc property. You can't avoid this higher cost by using say ssr points. Using Aulani subsidized points to stay at a wdw property is the least expensive of any dvc stay. The mf's do increase but because the transient tax is separate they are a real bargain if using at another property. Conversely using any other dvc points for Aulani is the least cost effective use of points. You have to take whatever the mf's are and add on the transient accommodation tax and factor that you will probably get the ov room at 7 months which is a lot more points than island or standard.

But compare Aulani to any Hawaii hotel cash reservations it's still an incredible bargain. Cash rates are charged the transient accommodation tax based on the much higher room rate plus an additional 4.5% tax. So cash rates on Oahu are 14%. If you have a car it's another $37/night parking on a cash reservation (not charged for dvc points stays). You can't avoid this transient accommodation tax if you visit Hawaii. It's even charged to vrbo stays.

Essentially an Aulani Points stay including transient accommodation tax is less than the hotel taxes and parking fees for the same cash reservation. This pretty much makes Aulani standard dvc rooms the least expensive hotel on any of the Hawaiian islands by far. On the flip side I think it's the most expensive of any dvc stays.

The room tax is currently at 9.25%. That percentage goes up with time and there's a current proposal to increase it considerably for the next 10 years to help fund a rail system. It's levied on the mf's one pays. Room taxes are included in wdw property mf's making Aulani dvc stay fees far higher than any dvc property. You can't avoid this higher cost by using say ssr points. Using Aulani subsidized points to stay at a wdw property is the least expensive of any dvc stay. The mf's do increase but because the transient tax is separate they are a real bargain if using at another property. Conversely using any other dvc points for Aulani is the least cost effective use of points. You have to take whatever the mf's are and add on the transient accommodation tax and factor that you will probably get the ov room at 7 months which is a lot more points than island or standard.

But compare Aulani to any Hawaii hotel cash reservations it's still an incredible bargain. Cash rates are charged the transient accommodation tax based on the much higher room rate plus an additional 4.5% tax. So cash rates on Oahu are 14%. If you have a car it's another $37/night parking on a cash reservation (not charged for dvc points stays). You can't avoid this transient accommodation tax if you visit Hawaii. It's even charged to vrbo stays.

Essentially an Aulani Points stay including transient accommodation tax is less than the hotel taxes and parking fees for the same cash reservation. This pretty much makes Aulani standard dvc rooms the least expensive hotel on any of the Hawaiian islands by far. On the flip side I think it's the most expensive of any dvc stays.
Over time one should save on DVC regardless but that assumes you're staying at Aulani. There are other ways to stay in HI on a single or recurrent basis that are better for many.

For sure. I was just saying that no matter where you stay in Oahu you will pay the transient accommodation tax of 9.5%. If money was no object, I'd be quite happy to stay at the 4 seasons next door. Room rates there start at $625 and I'll need to pay 14% tax plus parking. I'll take Aulani off season at $84/night, free parking and the $7.50 tax.

Over time one should save on DVC regardless but that assumes you're staying at Aulani. There are other ways to stay in HI on a single or recurrent basis that are better for many.

I love AUL, but don't want to go to Oahu every time I fly to the islands. Thus, even if I do end up with a AUL contract, it would only be enough points for once every two to three years.

LAX

I love AUL, but don't want to go to Oahu every time I fly to the islands. Thus, even if I do end up with a AUL contract, it would only be enough points for once every two to three years.

LAX
Disney does theming well and Aulani is a nice resort but there are limitations. There are cheaper ways to stay in place that are as nice and give you a lot more options than does DVC for HI. If one only wants to go to Oahu each time and essentially no where else, Aulani is a reasonable option for some. But like you, most people don't want to go to Oahu only and for many (likely most) once they've done Oahu a time or 2, it's far lower on the priority list and many skip it completely other than from a flight standpoint. I suspect most repeat visitors spend increasing less time on Oahu and more time elsewhere. Hilton, Starwood, Wyndham and Marriott (among others like Diamond) have nice resorts and cover a broader range in places that repeat guests are likely to want to go. And many of those give far better non WDW options and reasonable WDW options. Thus for many, actually most, not owning DVC and owning something else is the best single options but if one is going to do sufficient volume, owning both can be even better.

IMO it takes at least a 2 BR a year on average non to break even with the maintenance and other fees like exchange companies plus the learning curve involved. For us I'd say overall Bluegreen gives us our best value and Marriott our best vacations and even when we stay at DVC, which we do routinely, most of our trips the last 16 years have been by exchange.

Disney does theming well and Aulani is a nice resort but there are limitations. There are cheaper ways to stay in place that are as nice and give you a lot more options than does DVC for HI. If one only wants to go to Oahu each time and essentially no where else, Aulani is a reasonable option for some. But like you, most people don't want to go to Oahu only and for many (likely most) once they've done Oahu a time or 2, it's far lower on the priority list and many skip it completely other than from a flight standpoint. I suspect most repeat visitors spend increasing less time on Oahu and more time elsewhere. Hilton, Starwood, Wyndham and Marriott (among others like Diamond) have nice resorts and cover a broader range in places that repeat guests are likely to want to go. And many of those give far better non WDW options and reasonable WDW options. Thus for many, actually most, not owning DVC and owning something else is the best single options but if one is going to do sufficient volume, owning both can be even better.

IMO it takes at least a 2 BR a year on average non to break even with the maintenance and other fees like exchange companies plus the learning curve involved. For us I'd say overall Bluegreen gives us our best value and Marriott our best vacations and even when we stay at DVC, which we do routinely, most of our trips the last 16 years have been by exchange.

A big draw of DVC for me is that it has a viable (perhaps fairly robust) resale market. I am not sure if other systems have the same attraction. This is important to me because it gives me an out should I need it. I have heard horrible timeshare stories how people can't even give away their contract so that don't have to continue paying skyrocketing MFs.

LAX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter