August weather and crowds???

lijory

Earning My Ears
I was planning a trip to Disney for Veterans Day weekend then I just saw the great fares Southwest has right now and I am contemplating going the last weekend in August. My two questions are:
1. How are the crowds then??
2. How hot is it??

thank you

The crowds are low because most of the country is already back at school. But it is VERY HOT.. We are also going to be in Disney that week and have also gone in the past and really enjoyed it. Just be prepared for the heat and a rain shower almost every afternoon that only lasts a short time.

Unless you are ready for scorching heat and can handle it...I would personally avoid August.

The magic of Disney is always there, but the heat makes it tough sometimes.

I can't comment on the crowds in Aug. because I haven't been to WDW in Aug. ( June or July) in 15 years. As a matter of fact, none of my friends or family go during the summer. It's just so hot! And humid! We only have two seasons down here, summer and fall. But if your prepared for the heat you can still have a great time.

sounds like it will be toooo hot for me. i personally don't love hot and humind weather. i think i will stick with november. thank you!!!!

I went to WDW last August 16-23. I didn't find that I was continuosly bothered b y heat but the rain was disappointing.

The crowds weren't that bad at all. BUt, the humidity at times was YUCK!

Here is a picture of our day at Disney. They literally closed the park down.
disney.jpg

I'm so trying not to let these 'August' threads bum me out.

Me and my 2 DDs are taking an extra trip the end of August (Aug 21 thru Aug 27) since we are DVC and have APs. DH is staying home and working and watching the dogs. So it's a cheap, extra trip and the girls won't miss school. Luckily we are going again for our 'real' trip the end of Oct (Oct 30 - Nov 7).

I know it will be HOT. I'm trying to prepare myself. I know it will probably be more crowded than I'm used to (Sept, Oct and Dec trips). I'm also trying to prepare myself for the daily showers.

I'm just going to make the best of it. I keep looking at it as an extra trip and I keep telling myself it will be just as hot at home...even if it's not true. I also keep telling myself we were able to handle mid-Sept, so end of August should be ok.

What makes things worse, though, is I invited my sister and niece and this will be their FIRST trip to WDW ever. I hope the August weather doesn't ruin it for them. I booked BWV one-bedroom 3 nights and Cont Tower for 3 nights. Maybe the nice resorts will help make up for the crowds and especially the weather.:(

even though it rained for us in august??? We had a BLAST!! go with an open mind. We quit worrying about wet shoes and just jumped in puddles. Hair dos didn't matter and we had a care free attitude about it all. Just make sure to packa ponch and some some screen because it's like $10 for ponchos and $20 for sunscreen LOL (Ok maybe i'm exagerating but not muchLOL)

I wouldn't change a thing about our first trip. The only reason we're not going back in August is mainly because my parents are going to be in Vegas the last week of august and can't babysit the babies for us.

Have a blast and make the most of what you have : )

Originally posted by beattyfamily
I'm so trying not to let these 'August' threads bum me out.

I know it will be HOT. I'm trying to prepare myself. I know it will probably be more crowded than I'm used to (Sept, Oct and Dec trips). I'm also trying to prepare myself for the daily showers.

.:(

I've been to WDW late August 2 times and I'm going again this August. Let me start by saying it's not that bad!Sure it's hot and humid but they have alot of A/C. Almost everywhere even the bathrooms blast you with cold air before entering. When you get too hot just find someplace with A/C and you should be fine. That's how we survive. The rain is quite refreshing! Too bad I hardly got any the 2 times I was there. Out those trips I only had rain 1 day for about 20 minutes. I think it may have rained 1 night. Weather is unpredictable at best. I was practically rained out on my last trip in 12/02, so you just never know.As for crowds my only advice is avoid MK on Saturdays otherwise the crowds are somewhat light. Again my 12/02 trip I thought the crowds were quite heavy compared to what everyone said they should be so YMMV. Have Fun!!:hyper:

We'll be heading there on August 11th for one week. Thanks for making me feel better about August. My only question is: which day is better for Magic Kingdom - Sunday or Monday?

Hey there,

I am going this August for 10 days. It is a big deal because it is my 40th birthday. You helped ease my anxiety about the heat. I have heard some horror stories and some that are not bad at all. I am putting it in my mind that I am going to have fun and if I get to hot I will head inside where there is cool air. Also, the pools and the waterparks should be great that time of year. I'm from New York and August in the city is no bargain either.

Thanks for helping me get excited about this trip.

We are going back in August this year. We were there last August and the rain was incredible!!! Even had a tornedo sighting. But, the heat/humidity wasn't all that much worse than it was in Mass when we left. So, our ponchos go with us and we wear our water sandals. Can't wait to get back!!

Goofy you must have been there when I was there. We were there when the tornados swept thru the outlets by seaworld...LOL

Most crazy weather I"ve seen for Florida lol

We just decided to wear sandles splash in puddles and have FUN!

Yes it wil be hot. But does it really matter because you will be in Disney World!

Stacey

We were there last Aug 9-22. It rained!! There was a hurricane off the coast and it rained all but 1 day of our vacation. We were at FW and they kept posting messages on our camper saying that they might need to evacuate the campground as some of it was underwater (including our site, about 2 inches some of the time). We did not have to evacuate and had a good time all in all. We had brought heavy ponchos with us and a stroller rain cover. Without those we would have been miserable. The cheap disposable rain ponchos were of no use as they are so thin. We tried them the first day and were glad we had packed the heavy ponchos for the rest of the trip. We also were glad that we had packed sandals and 3 prs of shoes per person. One 20 minute downpour can thoroughly soak a pair of shoes and they take longer than a day to dry. The temperature in Orlando was about the same as it was in VT for those 2 weeks so it really didn't matter where you were it was hot, but not unbearable.

We went last August. It was hot. Hot. Hot. There was a TON of rain. And tornados. Blizzard Beach was closed due to weather both times we went (Bummer). As for crowds, I guess it is all what you are used to. I have seen plenty of people (who went the same week we did) who said they weren't bad. The posted times for Buzz Lightyear were consistantly an hour, often 1.5. Big Thunder was 1.5 - 2 hours more often than not as was Peter Pan. We waited a half our fo Small World (!). For a girl that has previously only gone in off-season, it seemed like a lot. We wilted by noon - some days we stuck it out, but most we headed back to the pool. Personally, we won't go again in the summer again, however, there are many, many people who love it that time of year.

angie

Originally posted by higgin704
We went last August. It was hot. Hot. Hot. There was a TON of rain. And tornados. Blizzard Beach was closed due to weather both times we went (Bummer). As for crowds, I guess it is all what you are used to. I have seen plenty of people (who went the same week we did) who said they weren't bad. The posted times for Buzz Lightyear were consistantly an hour, often 1.5. Big Thunder was 1.5 - 2 hours more often than not as was Peter Pan. We waited a half our fo Small World (!). For a girl that has previously only gone in off-season, it seemed like a lot. We wilted by noon - some days we stuck it out, but most we headed back to the pool. Personally, we won't go again in the summer again, however, there are many, many people who love it that time of year.

angie

Yes, but what time in August did you go? I thought the end of August isn't as crowded as the beginning or middle of August??? Will I have 2 hour waits the end of August?

Also, it sounds to me like last August was worse that usual weather as far as rain goes due to a hurricane or tornado??

I know it will rain everyday but I just pray it's not all day!:(

While we did wait in lines to some extent last August it wasn't all that bad. The one really bad line was at BTMRR. But....this was around 3:00 and the wait was about 50 minutes. But, my dd really wanted it to be her first ride at WDW for that trip. Other than that the lines weren't all that bad. Yes, it rained. A lot. But my understanding was that it was really unusual for that much rain. It usually rains late afternoon for about an hour and then clears up. We're going back the same time and hope that's just what happens.

Your welcome stemikger

Hey beattyfamily

You'll be there around the same time as me! I wouldn't be too concerned about the wait times. When I went in 8/99 the Only long wait was for Test Track(bugger broke down while in line waited 2 hours and still thought it was worth it) and Splash Mountain(about an hour) BUT this was before fast pass. I also went 8/01 and with fastpass the longest wait was maybe 10 to 15 minutes. I had a fab time and have no hesitation to go again in late August. Have FUN:hyper:

P.S. Don't worry about the rain either. Last year was very unusual.

Originally posted by queenmichelle
Your welcome stemikger

Hey beattyfamily

You'll be there around the same time as me! I wouldn't be too concerned about the wait times. When I went in 8/99 the Only long wait was for Test Track(bugger broke down while in line waited 2 hours and still thought it was worth it) and Splash Mountain(about an hour) BUT this was before fast pass. I also went 8/01 and with fastpass the longest wait was maybe 10 to 15 minutes. I had a fab time and have no hesitation to go again in late August. Have FUN:hyper:

P.S. Don't worry about the rain either. Last year was very unusual.

Thanks so much for easing my fears!

I'm actually get more and more excited about going the end of the Summer before school begins. It's an extra trip and my girls won't miss school so I'll just make the best of it. My only fear really is now that my sis and niece are coming and it's their FIRST trip ever...I don't want rain, crowds and heat to ruin their first trip but I've been warning her. I also plan on getting an early start each day and leaving by mid-afternoon.

I just need to avoid "what's August like" posts!

I really appreciate your post!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter