*August 2024 Check-in Thread*

Can you update me? We're August 1-August 7 and we moved to the DLH!

How’s planning going, everyone? I’m in my dining reservation window-only thing I’ve grabbed so far is Oga’s. I’ll be there with two 14 year old boys so not sure how much dining I’ll book. Only thing I def want to grab is Din Tai Fung on arrival day-I know the boys would love it and we aren’t in parks that day-and Trader Sam’s. If Fantasmic is happening while we are there might do the RZ dining package.

Planning is going so well!

We are staying at the GCH for six nights August 26-September 1st and have started making dining reservations including Centrico, Hearthstone, Trader Sam's, and WoC Dessert Party. We also have tickets for OBB and the VIP tour at Universal.

I just need to book a Fantasmic dining package (thinking Blue Bayou for Friday night) and then possibly Storyteller's character brunch on our final morning before our afternoon flight home. I was also thinking of booking at Lamplight Lounge and Oga's.

That’s an awesome set of reservations. I decided against OBB-the boys didn’t seem super excited and it’s a lot of money if you’re not 100% into it. We did the WOC dessert party our last two trips and I loved it! I need to learn more about what happens at Halloween time outside of OBB-this is our first Halloween trip!

Our last park day is the 29th and it turns out there’s a parent event at my daughter’s school that night. I’ll go, of course, but I’m a little bummed. Those last hours are precious! Maybe I can take a nap and go back into the park after (I’m not a late night person).

That’s an awesome set of reservations. I decided against OBB-the boys didn’t seem super excited and it’s a lot of money if you’re not 100% into it. We did the WOC dessert party our last two trips and I loved it! I need to learn more about what happens at Halloween time outside of OBB-this is our first Halloween trip!

Our last park day is the 29th and it turns out there’s a parent event at my daughter’s school that night. I’ll go, of course, but I’m a little bummed. Those last hours are precious! Maybe I can take a nap and go back into the park after (I’m not a late night person).
To be honest I am not a Halloween person at all, and neither is DS 19. DD 21 is somewhat, but we decided to do OBB simply because it will likely be the only time we will do it (unless I bring my two younger ones in the future for it). At this point I figured another $400usd was a drop in a very big bucket of money I am throwing at this trip:rotfl2:. We are from Canada too, so the exchange rate is killing me.

We did the WoC dessert party in January when DH and I brought our younger two (6 &9). Unfortunately the evening wasn't too enjoyable as my daughter found the music much too loud and she cried through the entire WoC show. So I need a redo!

I am very excited to see the holiday decorations during our trip. My friend tells me they are lovely. I am not a late night person either, so I will need to dig deep to power through with my two older kids, especially if the parks are open late!

Have you been to Oga's before? I don't drink alcohol but want to go for the ambiance.

I think if my girls were coming I might’ve been tempted by OBB as they’d probably get into dressing up. My daughter will be hopefully down there for college the next four years so perhaps we can do it in a future year.

I hope your WOC experience this time is amazing! I did it January of 2020 on my 50th birthday and it was such a perfect way to celebrate. Then we were there November 2022 with my mom and sister and it was perfect-my mom loved it. She’s almost 80 though has great mobility but being able to sit down and have dessert and a cocktail was perfect for her. I would like to do it sometime for regular WOC though as both times I’ve been has been the Christmas show.

I have done Oga’s a couple times and we really enjoyed it. Now, we are really social and so we think getting to sit with other people is a feature not a bug (we like sharing tables on cruises and meeting new people); those who aren’t like that enjoy it way less. If I remember correctly, they have some really fun mocktails. And they have a garlic cheese bread with cheese sauce I’m dying to try!

The exchange rate and the extra travel coming from Canada suck on top of what is a crazy expensive trip anyway! We are lucky as we are using DVC points for stay and the flights are cheap from Oregon and it still costs a fortune.

Oh I would love to see the Christmas version of WoC! I wasn't too impressed with WoC ONE, but the dessert party made it more special and I'm looking forward to seeing it without listening to my daughter cry. LOL.

Thanks for your feedback on Oga's. My 19 year old is such a people person so I know he'll strike up conversation with whomever we are sitting with. And that bread and cheese sound delicious. I am so excited for all the food!!!

That's great you are using DVC points! Which property are you staying at?

We own at VGC but are staying at VDH-wanted to check it out as I love the DLH aesthetic but also the points are much lower there late august than at the Grand.

We own at VGC but are staying at VDH-wanted to check it out as I love the DLH aesthetic but also the points are much lower there late august than at the Grand.
That's exciting! I was considering staying at the VDH when booking but felt the GCH would be better for my two older kids. I haven't stayed on property before so this is really exciting for us!

I have everything booked and ready to go.. Staying at the GCH 8/19-8/24. My kids wanted Goofys Kitchen and BB for Fantasmic and WOC dessert party.. We go to WDW every year and it's still my favorite but what I really love about DL not much planning is really needed. Its my daughters 1st time going so I wanted WOC and Fantasmic for good seats..
So now if we come back again Im happy with just regular seating and no need to plan anything.. Im little bummed about the railroad and space mountain not being opened but im glad we can do Haunted Mansion hopefully

I booked Fantasmic Riverbelle Premium Package, Blue Bayou for lunch (twice), Carthay Circle Lunch, Carthay Circle Dinner, Carnation Cafe for lunch, World of Color Dessert Party. I made a brunch reservation at Storytellers Cafe as well as a dinner reservation at Storytellers.

I also got a ticket to the Oogie Boogie Bash on Sunday August 25!

I am just waiting for Plaza Inn Parade Dining Package. I am thinking about doing the Walt Main Street tour as well.

I think that will enough for my 9 day trip to DL and staying at GCH.

Last edited:
It seems like the trains and monorail are down when we will be visiting. That's a shame since last time we visited (our first visit to Disneyland, last year around the same time of year) the monorail was down too and we booked the DLH partly because of it. Is it always down at the end of August?

We tried booking the train tour and it is unavaillable so I guess that one is down too. But we're happy that at least the Haunted Mansion is open since that was closed the last time too.

It seems like the trains and monorail are down when we will be visiting. That's a shame since last time we visited (our first visit to Disneyland, last year around the same time of year) the monorail was down too and we booked the DLH partly because of it. Is it always down at the end of August?

We tried booking the train tour and it is unavaillable so I guess that one is down too. But we're happy that at least the Haunted Mansion is open since that was closed the last time too.
The Monorail was down most of last summer because of construction in Downtown Disney. Works was done on the DD station then/ I do not know why the Monorail is going down now.

Hi, my wife, daughter (7), son (5) and I will have our first visit to DL after many WDW trips. Our son is obsessed with everything Cars so we decided what better time to switch it up! Staying at the DLH 8/23 to 8/27. Briefly considered offsite, but the DLH pools look awesome and our kids love to swim. We already have a Fantasmic package booked and are looking forward to the Halloween decor. We're super excited to experience the OG Disney park!

Hi, my wife, daughter (7), son (5) and I will have our first visit to DL after many WDW trips. Our son is obsessed with everything Cars so we decided what better time to switch it up! Staying at the DLH 8/23 to 8/27. Briefly considered offsite, but the DLH pools look awesome and our kids love to swim. We already have a Fantasmic package booked and are looking forward to the Halloween decor. We're super excited to experience the OG Disney park!
Your son will love Carsland. The pools at the DLH are great! Enjoy your trip!

How exciting! I agree with joseph821, your son will love Carsland. I'm not a fan of the franchise, but I am always blown away by the majestic atmosphere. It's like you are in the movie! And DLH is great. Make sure to grab a poolside dole whip from the Tangaroa Terrace walkup bar.

WIll be arriving Aug 24- 28th with my 2.5 year old, hubby, mom, MIL and FIL. Inlaws have never been to California Adventure before. Really hoping the refurbishment list updates to a few less. I am aware Space and the Railroad probably wont be back, but not sure why Haunted Mansion hasnt updated on their app. Spending 3 days in the parks (2 at Disneyland and 1 at DCA). Hoping the crowds wont be too bad.

WIll be arriving Aug 24- 28th with my 2.5 year old, hubby, mom, MIL and FIL. Inlaws have never been to California Adventure before. Really hoping the refurbishment list updates to a few less. I am aware Space and the Railroad probably wont be back, but not sure why Haunted Mansion hasnt updated on their app. Spending 3 days in the parks (2 at Disneyland and 1 at DCA). Hoping the crowds wont be too bad.
It's really a bummer to have so much down! Especially the train AND monorail. Fingers crossed Haunted Mansion Holiday gets added to the schedule soon. That needs to be open for Halloween time!

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest