Attention Disneyland Veterans: I Need Help With 1st Ever Trip!!!

MickeyEars

DIS Veteran
Hi!
We are planning our first trip to Disneyland for May 30- June 6, 2007 and I have no idea how things work there as far as booking a trip. I have a wonderful AAA agent so we will be booking our trip thru them. She doesn't know that I have made this decision and her office is closed for the weekend. I want to know all I can right now and I know the DIS is a great place to start! I apologize for having so many questions. I need all the help I can get! We would like to stay at the Disneyland Hotel but would take Paradise Pier if there is quite a difference in price. Any thoughts on that?
I know that at WDW you can book "room only" 500 days out and then change that to a package when they are released. Is that how it works at Disneyland? Can I book my room now as the 500 day mark was a couple of weeks ago? Do you have any idea when are the 2007 packages are released? Is the "room only" deposit equal to one nights stay? Is the deposit for a package $200 like it is at WDW? Lastly, what are your opinions on adding one of the Dining Plans to our package? I would so appreciate any and all info that you might have. Thank you so much! ;)

Carla

paradise pier and disneyland hotel are very close in price, pick whichever you like more, grand californian is the really expensive one. the dining plan isn't like the disneyworld one, you basically just get vouchers for certain dollar amounts and you use that, it isn't worth it imo.

I know you are set on AAA but we use Getaway today and they have package deals where you can usually get a night free and they always give 2 free park hoppers. They offer LOTS of different discounts also on tickets such as pay kids prices or buy one get one free etc.

I live in CA and have been millions of times so if you have any more specific questions feel free! You will LOVE it.

In fact we will be there shortly after you on June 18 :)

I dont believe 2007 dates are available at this time. I know they were not available on the disney travel site a couple of weeks ago. They were only booking until the end of the year. The WDT deposit amount is $200 for a package, I would guess AAA would be the same.

The only advantage to the dinning plan is, if you add it to your package you can pay for it before your trip. It cuts down on out of pocket money while you are there. That is really helpful for us. If you do buy the package I would recomend you purchase less days of meals then the length of your trip. That way you have the freedom to eat in downtown disney or other places.

Thanks for all of your replies!!!

Kelmac284 our trip isn't until 2007. :( I have been on the Getaway Today website and it looks like they have some great rates but my AAA agent is also a good friend and she usually comes up with some awsome deals for me so I'm just going to go with her. She has been awsome with my Disney vacations!!

hlbtimes2 thanks for the info on the dining plans. I have been looking over them here on the DIS and it appeared there was no savings in purchasing them. I am the type that loves to have everything paid for prior to leaving so I will probably add one to our package. That's good advice about purchasing less than the actual numbers of days you are there. The choices for the actual meals are extremely limited aren't they? What is it something like two choices of restaurants for the lunch and dinner meals? Several Character breakfast places but is there only two choices for the Breakfast in the Park?

Please keep the suggestions coming. I'm loving the info!!! :wave:

Thanks!
Carla

Carla,

I have NEVER gotten a better deal on a Disney package than buying everything separately. Not even close.

I'd book the hotel and air travel separately, buy my admission tickets through ARES Travel (www.arestravel.com) or through my husband's work, which sells hopper passes cheaper than the Disney website, or through Costco. Then I'd get a Disney Rewards card (like a pre-paid credit card) or Disney Dollars in advance, so that all your meals, etc., would be paid for with that. It gives you more options and will end up costing you less. If you have a Disney VISA card from Chase, you can accumulate rewards for free just by using it. You have time, so you could rack up a lot between now and then if you used your VISA for everything.

As far as hotels go, I'd recommend the DL Hotel over the Paradise Pier, if you want a Disney hotel. It's very nice and has a lot of the Disney Magic.

I thought of another question!!! How is the weather for the end of May into early June? :scratchin

Thanks!
Carla

southern calif. weather varies, but my experience is that spring, early summer and fall are all generally warm (mid to upper 70's) with a hint of smog. I've been to SoCal dozens of times and I've only experienced rain in the dedicated winter. last may it was in the upper 80's (but not humid) for the weekend we were there.

rain is from october to april, and even that is stretching it. rain in the summer is a small miracle. heat is dry heat, it basically kicks humidity's ***.

Thanks for the weather replies!!! I have never experienced "dry" heat just Orlando's very humid heat. Our's here in Kentucky is very humid also. :crazy2: Is the dry a lot worse? I absolutely hate high humidity so I suppose I'm safe there huh?? I'm learning so much which I just love!!!

Thanks again!
Carla

Dry heat doesn't feel as hot somehow. DH and I went to school in Eastern Washington, which is semi-arid and gets very warm in Spring and Summer. But our trip to Hawaii took some getting used to; only 85 degrees but very humid, and sapped our energy for a good day or two.

MickeyEars said:
I thought of another question!!! How is the weather for the end of May into early June? :scratchin

Thanks!
Carla

We were there same time last year (were have i heard that before?) The mornings were a little chilly,Compared to Tucson mornings,the afternoons were very nice imo, kinda windy but not bad.Evenings same as the A.M.A light jacket or sweater should suffice. Fersure bring a hat or visor :thumbsup2

dry heat is only bad when it goes over a hundred, which is unlikely in southern cal (norcal, zona and nevada have it). you can usually keep cool if you just stay hydrated.

MickeyEars said:
Thanks for the weather replies!!! I have never experienced "dry" heat just Orlando's very humid heat. Our's here in Kentucky is very humid also. :crazy2: Is the dry a lot worse? I absolutely hate high humidity so I suppose I'm safe there huh?? I'm learning so much which I just love!!!

Thanks again!
Carla

"dry" heat is really not that bad. You will feel it differently, however. Your nose might get really dried out, and your throat might feel a little scratchy. Just be prepared, and you'll do fine. I'll take dry heat over humidity any day!

:cool1: I deliver mail about 10 miles away in Newport Beach. I wear pants only 1 workday a year. Bring shorts and probably a sweatshirt tied around your waist with a water bottle and you are set. :thumbsup2 It only rains for a total of 2 weeks out of the year. But then again this opinion is from a guy who considers a pair of jeans going semiformal. :rotfl2: LOL

Jeff

but yeah, hes right, so cal is like 70 year round, oh and no sweatshirt around your waste, its fashinonably bad.

Glynis said:
"dry" heat is really not that bad. You will feel it differently, however. Your nose might get really dried out, and your throat might feel a little scratchy. Just be prepared, and you'll do fine. I'll take dry heat over humidity any day!
I concure.But Man when it gets to 117(1987 i believe)it drags you down. About 15 year ago my dw and i were at D/L and i think it was about 93 or so degrees. Most people were crying the blues I thouhgt to myself "wimps, where's my sweater?" it was 110 in Tucson the day before.Of course nothing beats Biloxi,Miss. 94 temp 98% humidity.Now that is stifiling. :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter