At Saratoga Springs. Very disappointed.

As i’ve posted before I love the resort from a location standpoint. I’ve never had a problem with cleanliness.

I could even accept the outdated decor - but that horrid broken down couch is just totally unacceptable. We literally never sat on it once on our last trip- as it was so broken down.

And this was the condition at multiple stays for us and has been mentioned by many others.

I guess I understand how they are trying to look at the big picture. I desperately needed to update the living room furniture that I bought post Katrina when nothing was available.

I had to pick out a new design scheme including paint before I could update everything. I lived with some horrible cheap peeling bonded leather chairs before I could order new furniture.

I honestly don’t care if they make the updates bland and generic as long as the furniture is functional.

I wish DVC could get free dining.
You can get free dining. You just have to follow the rules for free dining. Book a resort for cash at rack rate and you get free dining. You can even book a DVC resort. You just can't use your DVC points. Free Dining is just a way to fill up the resorts during leaner times.

They left the refurb too long here and OKW. Imagine rooms will be great in 2020!

They left the refurb too long here and OKW. Imagine rooms will be great in 2020!
They just did a "complete" renovation at OKW in 2010. But they didn't have enough money to do the bathrooms after they wasted money on that alligator table.

I wish DVC could get free dining.

There is nothing free about free dining. It usually costs more than booking a room at the discounts they offer and get the dining plan. But some people do not compare the two prices. They see “FREE” and think it the best deal. At one point it was a good deal, but not anymore.

I think OKW is the only resort that has ice makers in the freezer section of the refrigerator. All the rest give you ice trays to make your own.

BLT and AKV both have ice makers in the refrigerators for the 1, 2 bedrooms and the 3 bedroom Grand villas. BWV and BCV do not have ice makers.

Based on the newly adopted refurb schedule SSR should have been updated in 2018. But OKW is older and getting the first refurb. I am surprised that it is taking so long at OKW. I understand that delays cause scheduling problems where rooms are already booked so then DVC has to go further out to find rooms that haven't been booked. But really it is getting excessive and the contractor needs to get more workers or DVC needs to hire another contractor to do SSR.

Based on the newly adopted refurb schedule SSR should have been updated in 2018. But OKW is older and getting the first refurb. I am surprised that it is taking so long at OKW. I understand that delays cause scheduling problems where rooms are already booked so then DVC has to go further out to find rooms that haven't been booked. But really it is getting excessive and the contractor needs to get more workers or DVC needs to hire another contractor to do SSR.

Easier said than done. Between all of the construction projects already committed in Central Florida and last year's damage from Hurricane Irma, construction trades have been at a premium. Many homeowners still can't even get holes in their roofs repaired.

The oldest building has missed the 14-year refurb cycle, having opened back in May 2004. Others in Congress Park opened later in 2004. The Springs and The Paddock followed in 2005 with Carousel and Grandstand in 2007. Regardless it was never on the schedule for 2018 refurb. As recently as 2016, 7 of the DVC resorts had work performed. OKW was supposed to be the big focus for 2017 and 2018, though it got started about 6 months late.

SSR is still on schedule for 2019. Some rooms may be a little over 15 years old when the refurb commences. Others may end up in service less than 13 years before the update.

We always stay in Congress Park as we like the proximity to Disney Springs. As we check in online I've only been to the Carriage House during our last three visits the one time we ate at the Turf club. We eat and shop at DS.

As Congress Park is one of the oldest areas it helps to explain why the furniture is so dilapidated. I don't know how much actual construction is needed there as it mostly seems to need new paint and furnishings.

But as someone who lived thru Katrina I do understand how hard it can be to get anything done when there is major widespread damage. I fortunately only had a warped baseboard and a few warped boards in my floor that needed to be repaired after Katrina. I didn't even attempt to get anyone as there were so many people who had desperate needs far greater than mine. I think it was about 3-4 years later when I finally got my mostly cosmetic damages fixed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter