ASD Evaluation - What to Expect?

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
My little guy is exhibiting some behaviors that indicate he may be slightly on the spectrum. My mom instinct told me to tell his therapist to watch for signs and she agrees he should get a full evaluation. We have our intake meeting in a couple weeks with the place that will do the neuropsych evaluation. I’m just looking for ideas on what the evaluation will be like for him? Are the activities difficult and frustrating? He’s in first grade, so not a toddler, but he has ADHD and long stretches of tedious activities drive him nuts. Will he have any “fun” things to do like assessments masked as games? Do they tell you right away what their impression is? (I know it takes a few weeks for the full diagnosis.)

Thanks for any info. I know every experience is different based on the patient and the facility, but just looking for personal experiences. I’m scared of what this means for my guy’s future, even though his therapist says it would be very mild and you don’t notice unless you are looking for it.

My daughter had a brief initial evaluation; we weren’t seeking an ASD diagnosis so I don’t know what the full process would have been if that was our goal. It was maybe an hour; she spent time playing with a child psychologist while we (parents) met with a development pediatrician to discuss some concerns the school had raised. The DEV PED may have spent a short time observing her as well, I don’t recall. It was about 13 years ago (she was in K). Not the best experience in my opinion - but that was more the pompous attitude of the doctor than anything else.

If your concern is their interaction with the child — I’d say it’s age-appropriate, play-based. In fact, DD still has a drawing of Elmo on her wall that she and the Child Psych did together though I’m sure she doesn’t actually recall the circumstances of it’s origin. I wouldn’t worry about testing being too hard for him, though depending on his comfort level with people he doesn’t know that could be stressful to him.

Good luck!

I am getting an ASD ADHD testing done in a little over a week I can let you know more then but they said it would be a 3 hour in person evaluation with some sent home questions that I will do. I was told results will take a few week

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter