Art of Animation vs. Port Orleans Riverside

*Cindy*

Earning My Ears
First trip for 8 year old - comparing AoA to POR. 500 dollar total trip difference between the two - Comparing LM room at AoA to Royal room at POR. She doesn't like the movie Cars or Lion King so Nemo or LM are my only option. Nemo suites put me roughly 1k above LM and 500 above POR so I've dropped any of the AoA suites. There are only three of us so we don't need the space.

With AoA except I'm concerned about the walk and no coffee in the rooms. I don't know how I"d get up and out the door without a cup of coffee and don't want to have to walk far to get one. Plus, no table dining options at AoA.

With POR I don't want to miss out on any of the magic she might experience at the heavily themed AoA while she's young still but I know that I will enjoy POR more than AoA because of a restaurant and bar options but afraid she'll enjoy AoA more and the trip is for her more than anything.

Having stayed at neither I'm having trouble making a decision. I'm slightly introverted and know I'll need a place to recharge and get away from the crowd and at AoA I'm not likely to get that, but I could manage and I'm not really picky about where I stay - as long as it is clean. It must be clean and have good housekeeping. I want my daughter to have an amazing experience.

Can anyone help push me in any direction?

She also has uncontrolled epilepsy and cannot go underwater - pools are not an issue of consideration as I will likely try my best to avoid them.

How long is your trip? We did AoA on a 10 night stay and the distance to the food court and buses really did make an impact over that time. It changed the way we enjoyed the resort since it was a big deal (to me anyway) to walk all that distance to the food court.

5 nights. Yeah, that is my main concern. I'm concerned about having to walk every morning for a cup of coffee. That sounds like a nightmare lol

We stayed at POR when DS was young, and he loved it. We saw bunnies almost every morning, and the surry bikes were one of his favorite things. I say go with POR!

First trip for 8 year old - comparing AoA to POR. 500 dollar total trip difference between the two - Comparing LM room at AoA to Royal room at POR. She doesn't like the movie Cars or Lion King so Nemo or LM are my only option. Nemo suites put me roughly 1k above LM and 500 above POR so I've dropped any of the AoA suites. There are only three of us so we don't need the space.

With AoA except I'm concerned about the walk and no coffee in the rooms. I don't know how I"d get up and out the door without a cup of coffee and don't want to have to walk far to get one. Plus, no table dining options at AoA.

With POR I don't want to miss out on any of the magic she might experience at the heavily themed AoA while she's young still but I know that I will enjoy POR more than AoA because of a restaurant and bar options but afraid she'll enjoy AoA more and the trip is for her more than anything.

Having stayed at neither I'm having trouble making a decision. I'm slightly introverted and know I'll need a place to recharge and get away from the crowd and at AoA I'm not likely to get that, but I could manage and I'm not really picky about where I stay - as long as it is clean. It must be clean and have good housekeeping. I want my daughter to have an amazing experience.

Can anyone help push me in any direction?

Don't do AoA. We stayed there the year it opened and I could not wait to leave. It was so loud, chaotic and uncomfortable. I, too, could not go without a coffee maker in our room. My DS was 5 when we stayed there and, yes, the theming was quite impressive when we first arrived, but it wears off after a while and then you are stuck in an uncomfortable, loud resort. You will get all of the theming in the parks and if you need a place to recharge after all of the stimulation of the parks, AoA is not the place to go. My DS has stayed in almost every WDW resort and, honestly, he has loved them all (though BWI is now his favorite). I think your DD will have an amazing experience wherever you stay. We have stayed in a Royal Room at POR and they are lovely. The theming is subtle but super cute. The headboards light up with fireworks (which is super fun) and you will have a much bigger, more comfortable room (with more space and bigger beds) plus better resort amenities and the boat to DS for all of the restaurants and shopping there. The resort itself is quieter as well and so lovely. I would DEFINITELY pick POR.

I've stayed in a LM room at AofA and a RR at POR. I'd definitely choose the Royal room over the LM room. The theming in the Royal room is awesome! Spending the extra money would be worth it to me.

I have never stayed at PO, but I did stay for a short trip at AoA in the LM rooms. I loved it. The walk didn't bother me at all (I was there for a half marathon). The themeing was great and fun and the busses were fast and efficient (unlike CBR...wow, hated those busses). However, if your daughter can't swim, and you'd prefer hte other resort, do that. But perhaps consider visiting AoA to see the resort. It's really cute.

I would do a regular room at POR if the $500 was a big deal. You can still stay at POR and save some money. If not book the RR at POR.

On our first trip when my twins were 7, we stayed at OKW. There is plenty of activity at the parks IMO and I like a resort to be a laid back resting place. I would stay at POR with your description of wants and needs. POR has plenty of activity. The coffee pot is a bonus.

If the extra money of a royal room is an issue, I would still go with POR but a standard room and request a room in the Magnolia Bend section of the resort. Magnolia Bend is still very royal feeling, just not quite as in your face as the actual royal rooms, and a lot cheaper. And you still get the better ammenities of POR.

I've stayed at both in LM room and in Royal Rooms.

I don't think I'll stay at AOA again.
The walk was annoyingly far from where I was and while the food court has many options its also loud due to not being carpetted.

I'm longing to stay at POR in the RR again!
Those rooms are so detailed that it makes the lack of in your face Disney outside not matter.

I would suggest either POR RR or POP instead of AOA then you could easily walk over to AOA to look at the great theme.

We have stayed at both resorts multiple times. AoA is nice for a family if you are in a suite. I find LM rooms fine when I'm solo, but with the poorly padded, double beds and small room size too cramped for my family of 3 (of course our 3rd is DS19, so he takes up adult space).

POR is a very relaxing resort. Plenty of spaces to relax and a laid back vibe. The food court is very good, and the boat ride to DS is nice as well. The Royal Rooms are really cute, and she will love all the nods to her favorite princesses. It's also a quick and easy walk or boat ride to POFQ, where you can enjoy fresh beignets.

POR is one of our favorite resorts, I highly recommend it for your family size and dynamic.

Maria :upsidedow

Another vote for POR, I see no reason to pay what AoA charges for a value resort unless you need a suite. She will have plenty of the magic in the parks, it's nice to have a quiet resort to retreat to.

I’ve never stayed at AoA, but my 6 and 3 year old sons LOVED POR! They liked looking for lizards. We never had bus issues, either and really enjoyed the food court.

Thanks so much for the awesome replies. Appreciate you taking the time to help me make a decision. Thanks everyone.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! With the gift of magic offer there is only 100 dollar trip difference between the Royal and standard rooms, so I'll go with a Royal room. The total is 600 dollars more than the LM rooms would be, but I just have this bad feeing about LM with no coffee pot in the room. I was almost about to book when I found out there was no coffee in the room and I was like, whaaaaat??

I travel frequently (not always for pleasure) and I've stayed in some shameful hotels that shouldn't be called hotels - but they always at least have a coffee pot. Makes me nervous to stay in a place that doesn't have one. Just trying to not price the trip out to where it's so expensive that it's not fun. I haven't been to Disney since I was 15. My parents always stayed on the property. I was spoiled as a kiddo, but I'm not nearly as picky as my mother. Sometimes I have more fun when the trip is uber cheap and I cut corners, and sometimes being cheap can ruin the whole thing. Delicate balance lol

I'm staying at POR in a week. Any worries with a long walk to breakfast or the bus? I've heard some grumble about it. TIA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter