Are you an ice hockey fan? And if not, will you watch one NHL match on tv this upcoming season?

The sport is known simply as hockey in countries where it is the more common form of hockey. The term field hockey is used primarily in Canada and the United States, where hockey more often refers to ice hockey.

From Wikipedia
Europe and Africa call hockey, ice hockey. They refer to field hockey as hockey.

What difference does this make for the thread? This is no different from calling football soccer.
Sorry buzz. Not sure why I find it irritating besides it’s extremely uncommon.

Note it’s not Ice Hockey Night in Canada that has played on CBC for the last 50* years.

IMG_4081.png

Last edited:
I like hockey and will watch ocassionally, but I am a pretty casual fan, so it's just a game here and there.

Sorry buzz. Not sure why I find it irritating besides it’s extremely uncommon.

Note it’s not Ice Hockey Night in Canada that has played on CBC for the kast 50* years.

View attachment 897342

It bothers me too (maybe because we are Canadian? lol).

Also, do Americans use the word match to refer to a hockey game? I have never in my life heard the term "hockey match".

Again, I am Canadian, so this may be a cultural difference.

It bothers me too (maybe because we are Canadian? lol).

Also, do Americans use the word match to refer to a hockey game? I have never in my life heard the term "hockey match".

Again, I am Canadian, so this may be a cultural difference.
Some say game. Others say match. I used to say game as a kid, as an an adult I mostly say match.

Some say game. Others say match. I used to say game as a kid, as an an adult I mostly say match.
I don't often hear people using the term "match" to describe a hockey game - at least not on local sports radio or among my friends/family.

Die hard B's fan here. I will watch or listen to 75-80% of their games, probably 20+ out of market NHL games and some NCAA. I follow the other major sports but very rarely make an effort to watch or listen to any particular non-hockey game unless it is a playoff game.

I don't often hear people using the term "match" to describe a hockey game - at least not on local sports radio or among my friends/family.

Die hard B's fan here. I will watch or listen to 75-80% of their games, probably 20+ out of market NHL games and some NCAA. I follow the other major sports but very rarely make an effort to watch or listen to any particular non-hockey game unless it is a playoff game.
To be fair, I say match for most sports games among my soccer friends. To non soccer fans, I will just say game or sometimes fixture.

It was a great game last night for preseason.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest