Are refillable mugs from about 2 years ago still allowed?

Back in the 90s, cashiers told us they could be re-used “for life”. I think we got about 5 uses out of a single set of mugs. lol

We will probably buy new ones when we are there next week. It’s not worth the hassle of re-packing if it’s the same price to re-activate.

Drinks will not dispense without a current, active RFID.

Mugs were never intended to be life of cup. It was always written that it was for current stay but many brought them back and refilled anyways thus the introduction of RFID.

A new mug must be purchased for each trip. We bring ours home and donate to a local thrift store for others to enjoy some Disney in their home!
It's stuff like this that really bothers me from an environmental stand point. If Disney really cared about the environment, they would figure out a way to reactivate the RFID chip on the existing cup rather than requiring you buy a new one.I live near Orlando and when you go to the thrift stores around here, they are filled with Mickey ears and refillable mugs. Just large bins and walls of them. It's so sad.

On a side note, I bought a refillable cup at Sea World 6 years ago and I still use it every time I go. You have to pay .99 per refill but a lot of times the employees don't care and wave you through. It's a great deal.

It's stuff like this that really bothers me from an environmental stand point. If Disney really cared about the environment, they would figure out a way to reactivate the RFID chip on the existing cup rather than requiring you buy a new one.I live near Orlando and when you go to the thrift stores around here, they are filled with Mickey ears and refillable mugs. Just large bins and walls of them. It's so sad.

On a side note, I bought a refillable cup at Sea World 6 years ago and I still use it every time I go. You have to pay .99 per refill but a lot of times the employees don't care and wave you through. It's a great deal.
The crazy thing is the stories about the supposedly “hot merchandise” (I.e. not just common cups and hats) at the thrift stores. Remember people waiting hours and hours for the Figment popcorn buckets? Saw someone posted last week in a Facebook group that they found one for $3 at Goodwill...

I personally love cups and mugs. Each year it is different and it's a good collection on my cupboard lol but I rarely reuse it.
Last year, I bought one of those mugs for the stay and also brought one back to just refill water and coffee.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest