Anyone want to venture a guess as to why this might be...travel related

The age at the resort for "full adult" pricing is 12. Anything above 12 is adult. That's how they do it in MOST of Mexico. Why? Who knows. So, not sure where people get the 14 thing. If they do not get "connecting" rooms (which there is NEVER a guarantee), the plan is exactly the same as the one my husband and I followed when my kids were similar ages. One parent and one child per room. So, no, they will not have children occupying a hotel room on their own.

Rates for children and adults are NOT stated. It's simply listed as a "room" price, and it varies by whether you have 1, 2, 3 or 4 people occupying the room. I simply found it curious that the rate went up when it was 1 adult and one child per room, vs. 2 adults. Made no sense to me then, makes no sense to me now, EXCEPT as a method to discourage children (without making it "adults only") from staying at the resort. Children cannot possibly "cost more" for the resort than adults. It is NOT an adults only resort. I've stayed there before, and children (even those much younger than my niece and nephew) were in residence.

I'm not booking the resort directly. I'm doing the leg work for my SIL, who is not as travel savvy as I am, and she will book it. She will make the decision about how to book it. Not me. :-)
Does "all-inclusive" mean each person gets all they can eat/drink, including alcohol? Or, is there a limit to the number of drinks included each day before you have to pay for them? Also, is the dining the same for each meal, or are there "premium" dining options that have an upcharge? I'm asking because I'm thinking it might be similar to a cruise ship. You can conceivably take a cruise without spending any additional money, but very few people do. They are always trying to sell you drinks, merchandise, spa treatments, upscale dining options, etc. I can see a resort charging more for kids since they are less likely to buy these extras. Overall, they probably make more from adult guests, even when they charge a lower base fee.

There are no limits on drinks. We've stayed before, and absolutely not. In fact, they have a large open bar where guests are free to mix their own drinks. And, there is a spa for services that is the only upcharge that I know about. I never noticed items on any menu that were "extra," nor are there any "premium" restaurants. All guests can eat at any restaurant they want, whenever they want. The only other thing is that bottles of wine were extra (as opposed to by the glass), I suppose so you could bring a bottle to your room? Same wine as "by the glass," so certainly not something I ever paid for. LOL. And, of course, like nearly all resorts in Mexico, they have a gift shop and excursions....and I guess some of these excursions are probably priced lower for children then adults, but since they don't actually DO the excursions (but merely sell for others), not sure there's THAT much difference in their commission. Plus, of course, a large number of guests never buy the excursions anyway, adults or children. :-)

I disagree, if the resort policy is that an adult is 14, then a 14 year old is an adult for booking with them.
Think about it, at Disney an adult is what 10? Even though in the US at 10 they are not a legal adult, yet people buy adult tickets for them
Adult for resort enjoyment purposes, but I should have addressed the "adulthood" in a separate post.

The post you quoted should have addressed solely the OP's feel-good euphemism.

So, not sure where people get the 14 thing.
We're getting from the one or more posts which state that one person of the four is 14.
One parent and one child per room. So, no, they will not have children occupying a hotel room on their own.
then the advice proffered by several posters stands: Call. The. Resort.
This defies the original statement that the family wants (expects? desires? will put up a stink if it doesn't happen?) the parents in one room and the children in the other.
Made no sense to me then, makes no sense to me now

Nope, at Disney an adult is 18. A 10 yr old is just a guest 10+. Tickets aren't sold as child and adult, just Guest 3-9 and Guest 10+.

At 10 they cant order from the kids menu, or book as a kid for various activities. It semantics to call it anything else

At 10 they cant order from the kids menu, or book as a kid for various activities. It semantics to call it anything else
At 10 they cannot book at hotel room. They are not adults, just guests 10+. Look it up.

At 10 they cannot book at hotel room. They are not adults, just guests 10+. Look it up.
Hotel rooms are immaterial IMO with what you're talking about.

9 and under pay one price, ten and above pay a higher price, correct?

As far as I'm concerned, calling the lesser price a "child" price and the more expensive one an "adult" price is reasonable.

I don't know if there is a glitch, but yes, it could have to do with how you are trying to book.
Some resorts, like cruise ships, might have a min. charge of 2 adults per room.
Technically, they probably wouldn't allow two underaged children to be in a room by themselves.
One adult, often 21 years, or even older, required per room.

This is another thing that makes me wonder about some kind of glitch.
Rate changes can happen all the time, at any time.

What resort are you looking at??????

The rates for adults and younger children should be clearly stated...
It should be easy enough to see where something is not adding up.

And, you might not be able to 'fudge it' either.
These resorts and cruise ships have age regulations for a reason, and they will likely be checking.
Every traveler will need documentation/passports.

Maybe you should contact the resort, or actually contact an actual TA who handles a lot of this kind of travel.
By the way, RCI cruise ships do NOT require someone 21+ in every room. You can put kids in an adjacent room or one across the hall. Obviously the resort the OP is looking at allows that or similar or he wouldn't be able to price adults in one room/kids in the other.

People are still going to Mexico?

Ducking and running away...........

Of course a ten year old can order from the kids menu. Anyone can, including the 117 year old woman who's the oldest person in the world.

:confused3 Which activities are restricter to ages 3-9?

No, it's actual and legal definition.

Actually no. At quick service sure, but at any table service they cannot, at a buffet they must pay the adult price (and that is how it is listed on their own site) and at non buffets, you MAY be able to order from the kids menu but they make an adult portion and charge accordingly.

No activities are restricted-the cost is. In Disney terms once a child is 10 they are charged as an adult for all dining and activities.

It's not an actual and legal definition in this instance. The actual legal definition of an adult is raise over the age of 18, if this hotel OP is talking about states that adults are 14 and above then that is how she should book it with them

People are still going to Mexico?

Ducking and running away...........

I know you mean this in jest, but seriously, Mexico is a BIG country. Most of is live in the US, and there are some very dangerous parts of the US. Heck, there are some very dangerous parts of Minneapolis where I would not venture after dark. Doesn't stop me from making my permanent residence less than 50 miles from those dangerous parts, just as "danger" in some parts of Mexico will not stop me from visiting other parts of Mexico. There was a home invasion robbery this week in very small town Minnesota (8 miles from me). Crap happens everywhere. For some reason, we are hypersensitive about it in places we vacation, but overlook it in places we live. In the parts of Mexico I visit, the people are friendly, very family oriented, and kind to visitors. I love it and do not feel the least bit "unsafe". If it's not for you, I completely understand. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
We're getting from the one or more posts which state that one person of the four is 14.

then the advice proffered by several posters stands: Call. The. Resort.
This defies the original statement that the family wants (expects? desires? will put up a stink if it doesn't happen?) the parents in one room and the children in the other.

The parents want rooms that connect. That's the hope. (I used the word "adjoining" which apparently was confusing, but what I MEANT was two rooms with outside entrances, and a door which immediately joins those two rooms together). If they don't get rooms that connect, they will be adult and mature about it, and simply put one parent and one child in each room. No, they will not raise a stink. We are not "those" kind of people, believe it or not. The request would be made, and if it's available when they check in, I'm sure the hotel would honor that request. But, its not always possible, and everyone involves recognizes that. The last time my family was at the resort, rooms with a door in between were not available. So, we settled (with no fuss whatsoever) for rooms next to each other . No big deal. One parent/one child per room. I mentioned the ages simply because for purposes of rates, one of their children PAYS full adult prices, and on some websites (I've checked multiple website), there is not even the option of listing that child as a "child"....must be listed as an "adult." The same would be true of the second "child" if an additional three months passed before the vacation. I know that you are probably an assiduous real followers in all matter, large and small, and therefore would gladly fork over the additional $360 for those THREE months of age. Sorry I'm not so perfect. LOL. But, like I also said, my SIL will be making that ultimate decision, not me. My children are now adults for all purposes (except drinking in the United States), so it is now irrelevant to me. I do plan to give her the information and choices, and she will decide.

By the way, RCI cruise ships do NOT require someone 21+ in every room. You can put kids in an adjacent room or one across the hall. Obviously the resort the OP is looking at allows that or similar or he wouldn't be able to price adults in one room/kids in the other.

You have to call to book if you want adults in one room and kids in the connecting cabin. We booked connecting rooms for our last cruise and upcoming one and did the one child and one adult in each room. Sleeping arrangements had the kids in one room and us in the other.

You have to call to book if you want adults in one room and kids in the connecting cabin. We booked connecting rooms for our last cruise and upcoming one and did the one child and one adult in each room. Sleeping arrangements had the kids in one room and us in the other.
OK? :confused3

PP said "Some resorts, like cruise ships, might have a min. charge of 2 adults per room. Technically, they probably wouldn't allow two underaged children to be in a room by themselves.
One adult, often 21 years, or even older, required per room." I was pointing out not all cruise lines have the rule about requiring an adult in each room.

Did it put you on the same flights?

Have you tried several sites to get prices?

Once our kids hit their teens they have gotten their own room and it usually doesn’t cost much more than booking 1 room with the 4 of us in it.

1. Actually no. At quick service sure, but at any table service they cannot,
2. at a buffet they must pay the adult price (and that is how it is listed on their own site)
3. and at non buffets, you MAY be able to order from the kids menu but they make an adult portion and charge accordingly.
1. Absoulutely anyone can order from the childrens' menu at any venue. A few contracted restaurants may choose not to allow this variation, but for the most part anyone can order from anywhere on the menu.
2. Paying 10+ price is not equal to ordering from the 3-9 menu. Dining at buffets is a choice, as is selecting food from the childrens' options.
3. First, this statement refutes your first sentence and claim. Second, how each venue handles orders from the childrens menu can vary. Knowing why that person is ofdering from that section (not hungry? bariatric surgery? just doesn't like anything on the main menu?) can easily affect the portion size provided.

Probably wisest to not make absolute statements.
No activities are restricted-the cost is.
Which is, again, not what was claimed originally. Price =/= accessibility.
I used the word "adjoining" which apparently was confusing
Yeah, adjoining and connecting don't mean the same thing. All connecting rooms adjoin. Not all adjoining rooms connect. Make sure she's specific when booking.

1. Absoulutely anyone can order from the childrens' menu at any venue. A few contracted restaurants may choose not to allow this variation, but for the most part anyone can order from anywhere on the menu.
2. Paying 10+ price is not equal to ordering from the 3-9 menu. Dining at buffets is a choice, as is selecting food from the childrens' options.
3. First, this statement refutes your first sentence and claim. Second, how each venue handles orders from the childrens menu can vary. Knowing why that person is ofdering from that section (not hungry? bariatric surgery? just doesn't like anything on the main menu?) can easily affect the portion size provided.

Probably wisest to not make absolute statements.

Which is, again, not what was claimed originally. Price =/= accessibility.

Yeah, adjoining and connecting don't mean the same thing. All connecting rooms adjoin. Not all adjoining rooms connect. Make sure she's specific when booking.

You accused the OP of lying if she puts the 14 year old down as an adult, your skewed logic being that a 14 year old isnt a legal adult. The resort, who sets the pricing states that in their terms a 14 year old is an adult, in this case it would actually be wrong to book as a child. It doesnt matter what the legal age of a child is, this resort has chosen their age to be 14 and up.

And again, what I said was "book as a kid for various activies", before you get snarky check what people have said. It means once someone is 10 at Disney, for all intents and purposes they are paying adult pricing for everything, not just rooms, but tickets, activities and dining, so sure they can order off the kids menu-but not at the kids price.
Which is my point, it doesnt matter if you are 10,18 or 60 you pay the adult price, and to call it anything else is semantics.

We have taken our kids 5 out of the 10 times we have stayed at Mexican ai resorts. They will ask for passports at check in. This does seem like a glitch with whatever website OP was using. i Highly doubt the hotel charges extra for kids!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter