Anyone take Cymbalta for fibromyalgia?

TaraPA

Can't live without a ticker!!!!
I've just been prescribed Cymbalta for my fibromyalgia. It has some pretty severe side effects, and I'm wondering if it's even worth it! I had taken Lyrica for 2 months but it made me a complete zombie, so much so that I was dizzy & dozing off several times a day. It did not help my aches & pains at all, so I stopped it.

Anyone have experience with Cymbalta? My rheumatologist did say the most common side effect is nausea, but it should subside after 2 weeks. I'm not sure if I'd rather feel nauseous for 2 weeks or just deal with the aches & pains. :confused3

I've just been prescribed Cymbalta for my fibromyalgia. It has some pretty severe side effects, and I'm wondering if it's even worth it! I had taken Lyrica for 2 months but it made me a complete zombie, so much so that I was dizzy & dozing off several times a day. It did not help my aches & pains at all, so I stopped it.

Anyone have experience with Cymbalta? My rheumatologost did say the most common side effect is nausea, but it should subside after 2 weeks. I'm not sure if I'd rather feel nauseous for 2 weeks or just deal with the aches & pains. :confused3

I couldn't take it. Stomach problems were too severe, but I have a hard time with many of the RX's they prescribed for Fibro. Oversensitive to them, which is normal. Over on the disabilities board there is a fibro thread and I believe a few take the drug. You may want to check there, but give it a bit, not everyone responds quickly, it is a more slow moving thread.

Hope you feel better OP!:hug:

I don't take either. I had asked my rheumatologist about them one time and she said she doesn't recommend it. She feels the side effects outweigh any relief it may provide.

I personally would have thought that you would be tried on an SSRI before Cymbalta for this...

I couldn't take it. Stomach problems were too severe, but I have a hard time with many of the RX's they prescribed for Fibro. Oversensitive to them, which is normal. Over on the disabilities board there is a fibro thread and I believe a few take the drug. You may want to check there, but give it a bit, not everyone responds quickly, it is a more slow moving thread.

Hope you feel better OP!:hug:

Oh yeah - the DISabilities board - didn't even think to ask there! Thanks!

I personally would have thought that you would be tried on an SSRI before Cymbalta for this...

I have no idea what an SSRI even is?

I have no idea what an SSRI even is?

SSRIs are a type of antidepressant. It stands for Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor and by this mechanism makes your neurons soak in serotonin for longer. This effect is thought to have a lifting effect, amongst others.

Cymbalta is an SSNaRI or Selective Serotonin and Nordrenalin Reuptake Inhibitor and in addition to blocking the reuptake of serotonin it also acts on noradrenaline, another neurotransmitter. They can be more effective than SSRIs but typically have more side effects. Hence, why I would assume that a doctor would try an SSRI first.

No idea why, he's the doc not me! Are SSRI's used to treat fibromyalgia?

I'm not usually sensitive to any rxs, and rarely get side effects, actually I never had a side effect to any rx other than the Lyrica. So maybe he jumped right to the heavy duty one since he knows that. :confused3

No idea why, he's the doc not me! Are SSRI's used to treat fibromyalgia?

I'm not usually sensitive to any rxs, and rarely get side effects, actually I never had a side effect to any rx other than the Lyrica. So maybe he jumped right to the heavy duty one since he knows that. :confused3

Many antidepressants can be used to treat fibromyalgia, including SSRIs and even the older TCAs.

But, I am no doctor, and I can only assume he knows more than me on this subject!

I took it for about 2 years and stopped it about 4 years ago. I didn't notice a big improvement on it (also took Lyrica, no big improvement) so we just weaned me off of it. Coming off the medicine was the only time I had side effects and it was awful! I used to get what I called "brain zaps" it felt like my head was being electrocuted. Remember those clear balls they sold at Spence'rs that had the little lightening bolt looking things in them that would attract to your hand when you touched the surface of the ball? That is what my head felt like for months :(

I took it for about 2 years and stopped it about 4 years ago. I didn't notice a big improvement on it (also took Lyrica, no big improvement) so we just weaned me off of it. Coming off the medicine was the only time I had side effects and it was awful! I used to get what I called "brain zaps" it felt like my head was being electrocuted. Remember those clear balls they sold at Spence'rs that had the little lightening bolt looking things in them that would attract to your hand when you touched the surface of the ball? That is what my head felt like for months :(

:scared1:

Exactly! My doctor said it was some sort of nerve type pain and she wasn't surprised. My only choices were to suck it up and deal with it until the withdrawal symptom went away or keep taking the drug. I sucked it up

Exactly! My doctor said it was some sort of nerve type pain and she wasn't surprised. My only choices were to suck it up and deal with it until the withdrawal symptom went away or keep taking the drug. I sucked it up

The brain zaps are a common symptom when stopping SSRI's or SNRI's it's not painful just weird. I know it's recommended to use Prozac when stopping Cymbatla and then wean off the Prozac.There are less side effects that way. I take Cymbalta for depression and anxiety and I do have to take it with food or it upsets my stomach. I haven't had any other side effects. You will notice of you miss a dose.

Wow, now I know why my DH refuses to take it. That's just crazy!!
Good luck OP. I hope it works for you.

I take it for depression and have not had any side effects other than feeling 1000x better. The only thing is I did forget to refill it for about 2-3 days and there are some pretty bad withdrawal effects if you don't taper off the drug when it's time to quit. Other than that, it's been a lifesaver for me. Can't imagine not being on it!

I take it for depression and have not had any side effects other than feeling 1000x better. The only thing is I did forget to refill it for about 2-3 days and there are some pretty bad withdrawal effects if you don't taper off the drug when it's time to quit. Other than that, it's been a lifesaver for me. Can't imagine not being on it!

Thanks for the positive review! I've heard you have to really wean yourself off. He gave me 21 days worth of samples to see how it affected me, I better call him for an rx (if I decide to continue it) by day 14 so I have enough time to go get it filled without forgetting!

I take this medication for anxiety and this is my experience:

Background.....I have for several years had extreme neck/shoulder pain. I've had cortisone injections and tried a medical massage. The person doing that asked if doctors had ever mentioned fibro to me. (They have not)

I have used other SSRIs which worked for anxiety but never touched the pains. After a few weeks on Cymbalta I noticed the pain was actually gone. It definitely works for the intended reason-anxiety, but it also took away the pains I had as well. Such a nice side effect!

I have not had any side effects. Not sure what stomach issues are associated with this medication. I sort of live by the philosophy that all medicines have some side effect, and I have to judge what is worse; the condition or the side effect. I have had some things that I did stop for effects, but Cymbalta has been quite effective and trouble free.

In my experience, psychiatric medications are extremely primitive. I mean, only 60 years ago doctors were performing lobotomies in their own offices! Most medications out there are the equivalent of a sledge hammer to treat a ding so don't be discouraged if you start on one - or a few - that are not quite right for you. It's perfectly natural and to be expected. Keep trying though and eventually you will find your knight in shining armour.

I'll give Duloxetine (Cymbalta) this: the capsules are darn pretty!

I began taking Cymbalta about four years ago for diabetic neuropathy in my feet. It was approved for that use at the time, but not for overall pain like fibro. But I did notice that my fibro was better.

Over the years I kind of forgot how bad the pain could be - I still hurt on Cymbalta but not as badly. So I wanted to go off it. My doctor said "give it a shot" and gave me plenty of samples of the half dose to wean myself away. After about four days I went back to the higher dose. Not because of withdrawal side effects but because the pain got to be really, really bad! So I guess it helps more than I realize.

I am also taking tramadol for arthritis and between the two I manage to function.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest