Anyone see The Act on Hulu?

emer95

DIS Veteran
i watched it last night and I feel like I need to talk about it! It’s a series (only the first two episodes are on, which is annoying) based on a true story about Dee Dee Blanchard and her daughter Gypsy Rose. The mom has Munchausen by proxy, and it’s really unbelievable what she gets away with. I won’t tell you the shocking ending, although it’s revealed right away and then the timeline goes back and forth. After I watched The Act my daughter told me about the documentary Mommy Dead and Dearest on You Tube.
Someone else watch it please, so we can discuss!

I’ve known about the story for a while.

The show is good. It makes me feel icky to watch it though because since it’s a dramatized series, I feel like Gypsy and her story are being exploited.

I watched the first episode and will try to watch the second one this weekend.

I had heard about this before and it’s horrific. I’m shocked by what her mother was able to get away with.

Terri

Gypsy did an interview, and she is so happy and thriving in jail. That tells me all I need to know about her "mother" and that poor girl's life. I can't feel one iota of sympathy for the mother or what happened to her.

I’ve known about the story for a while.

The show is good. It makes me feel icky to watch it though because since it’s a dramatized series, I feel like Gypsy and her story are being exploited.
Did you see the dramatized Dirty John and then the corresponding documentary? The two versions seemed pretty close. I'd imagine Gypsy has agreed to (and probably contributed material for) the production of The Act. She was featured on Dr. Phil a year or so ago before "Mommy Dead and Dearest" came out and it was talked about during the interviews.

One thing that comes to mind with both her story and Dirty John is how unbelievable it is that both perps got so far. There had to have been many, many chances for law enforcement/social services to intervene in a meaningful way. How on earth could it not have happened? :sad1:

I had seen it advertised then couldn't find it. Now I know to look on Hulu.

One of the things that shocks me is that doctors went along with so many procedures, diagnoses and prescriptions, based on the mother’s word. A feeding tube? Aren’t there tests to determine whether a person needs that or not? And the fact that Gypsy played along so convincingly for so long. I know she was heavily medicated so I’m sure that was a big part of it. And I realize that we accept the reality with which we’re presented, but man! My kids rebel over tiny things. I just can’t imagine having such a hold over them.

I watched both episodes on Hulu this weekend.
So disturbing...

All I can say is that Patricia Arquette is doing an amazing acting job with this character.
I wanted to reach through the TV and strangle her many, many times!!!

My husband and I watched it this weekend. He was freaking out! He didn't know the story and I didn't clue him in at all. I'm awesome wife like that :D
Anyways, he kept saying "is this real? The mom can't really be doing this..." Then he had to google watch Dr. Phil's interview with Gypsy.

I kept asking my husband if anyone really knows how old this daughter really is now. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me she was stolen as a baby as messed up that mom was.

I'm trying so hard to wait to watch it until all of the series is out so that I can just binge it in one shot. I love true crime and have watched all of the other documentaries on this case and listened to a few podcasts about it too!

My husband and I watched it this weekend. He was freaking out! He didn't know the story and I didn't clue him in at all. I'm awesome wife like that :D
Anyways, he kept saying "is this real? The mom can't really be doing this..." Then he had to google watch Dr. Phil's interview with Gypsy.

I kept asking my husband if anyone really knows how old this daughter really is now. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me she was stolen as a baby as messed up that mom was.
I totally plan on doing the same thing with my guy too! I didn't tell him anything about it, just asked if he would watch it with me since the girl that plays Gypsy is in White House Down which he lo0o0o0o0oves and we just watched her in Kissing Booth so he agreed.

I totally plan on doing the same thing with my guy too! I didn't tell him anything about it, just asked if he would watch it with me since the girl that plays Gypsy is in White House Down which he lo0o0o0o0oves and we just watched her in Kissing Booth so he agreed.

As I was watching I knew the actress looked familiar but it drove me crazy because I couldn’t place her. My daughter reminded me that she was in Ramona and Beezus when she was little.

Off topic.. but, you need to make your husband watch Abducted In Plain Sight!!!

I made my friend watch it. I got a VERY strongly worded message after she watched it!!!! :teeth: Apparently it is freaking her husband out, yet they can't wait for the next episode. My work here is done!!!! And Patricia Arquette better get an Emmy nomination for this! Joey King too!!! I LOVE the direction. This director is amazing!

I have friends who are super into true crime and I've never gotten into it, but there's just something about this story that fascinated me from the first moment I heard about it. I was looking forward to the series when I saw it advertised and I've only been able to watch the first episode, but I am loving the series so far!

Anyone watch this week? I know the story and I know how it is going down, but good lord I can't look away. Everyone is just amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter