Anyone ever stay at ASM and have a comment on the transportation?

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
How well did the bus system work out for you visiting & returning from the parks? Was it a mess or comfortable? thx!

That's a really subjective question - what do you define as a "mess" vs "Comfortable"?

The buses are always going to be really busy in the morning before/when parks open, and in the evening when parks close - meaning there's a fair chance you'll be standing because there aren't available seats. If you are traveling between the resorts and parks midday, it's definitely less crowded and easier to get a seat. That's true of all resorts though, not just the values. All Star resorts do not share a bus with any other resort during busy times (morning and evening) but do share a bus midday when it's less busy.

Anyone have thoughts on a comparison of say the Disney Springs affiliated resorts transportation vs All Stars? What the longest amount of time you can expect to wait for a bus from ASM to MK vs a Disney Springs 'official' resort with it's shuttle bus?

That's a really subjective question - what do you define as a "mess" vs "Comfortable"?

The buses are always going to be really busy in the morning before/when parks open, and in the evening when parks close - meaning there's a fair chance you'll be standing because there aren't available seats. If you are traveling between the resorts and parks midday, it's definitely less crowded and easier to get a seat. That's true of all resorts though, not just the values. All Star resorts do not share a bus with any other resort during busy times (morning and evening) but do share a bus midday when it's less busy.
By mess I meant a long time waiting for a bus... say over 15 minutes

In the morning and the end of the park days absolutely more than 15 minutes wait for a bus would be common, any less is a gift (not because the buses aren't coming frequently enough, but because there are huge numbers of people traveling at the same time)

I've not stayed at a good neighbor resort but I have looked into them, and those that I did check out had buses running at specific intervals (every 30 minutes on the hour, for example) and only had one or two shuttles operating at a time. At Disney they closely track how many guests are waiting for buses and have a fleet they can shift around as needed to meet demand. To me that is a superior option, but YMMV

In the morning and the end of the park days absolutely more than 15 minutes wait for a bus would be common, any less is a gift (not because the buses aren't coming frequently enough, but because there are huge numbers of people traveling at the same time)

I've not stayed at a good neighbor resort but I have looked into them, and those that I did check out had buses running at specific intervals (every 30 minutes on the hour, for example) and only had one or two shuttles operating at a time. At Disney they closely track how many guests are waiting for buses and have a fleet they can shift around as needed to meet demand. To me that is a superior option, but YMMV
So is what you are saying that you think (and I am NOT holding you to it and know it's a 'guesstimate') about every 30 min on the shuttles in DS hotels, and about 15 on the ASM? If thats true I would definately choose ASM because while 15 minutes doesn't sound like much, if you are staying for a week or more and riding at least 1 round trip a day, thats a minimum of 30 minutes times the number of days of vacation..

Stayed at ASM several times. Most of the time we've only waited 5-15 min for a bus. There's been a few times, however, that we've waited 20-35 minutes. Also, the bus for ASM picks up and drops off at all of the all star resorts. There isn't a dedicated bus just for ASM (or at least that was the case last time we went).

Stayed at ASM several times. Most of the time we've only waited 5-15 min for a bus. There's been a few times, however, that we've waited 20-35 minutes. Also, the bus for ASM picks up and drops off at all of the all star resorts. There isn't a dedicated bus just for ASM (or at least that was the case last time we went).
So is ASM the first pickup to the parks and the last drop off from, or is it last both ways?

So is ASM the first pickup to the parks and the last drop off from, or is it last both ways?

That part I don't remember. I just know when staying at the all star resorts they all use the same bus, which adds on the bus time to/from the parks. If you want to stay at a value resort with a dedicated bus, I believe that Pop has it's own bus.

Each All star resort has its own bus to and from the parks in the morning and around park closing.

The only time there are multiple stops is midday (less people going between resorts and parks) and the All Stars only share a bus with each other, no other resorts. Each All Star has one bus stop.

Each All star resort has its own bus to and from the parks in the morning and around park closing.

The only time there are multiple stops is midday (less people going between resorts and parks) and the All Stars only share a bus with each other, no other resorts. Each All Star has one bus stop.
thx so much for the info.. it sounds like it's not too shabby

thx so much for the info.. it sounds like it's not too shabby

It's really not! There seem to be a LOT of misconceptions out there about the bus transport from All Stars (sharing bus with multiple other resorts, crazy wait times, etc) but we haven't found them to be bad at all. The times when it was REALLY crowded and had to wait a bit for the bus were times when I would totally expect things to be busy (crowds leaving the parks at the same time, or leaving the resorts at the same time) but I've never seen them as disadvantage that would push me toward booking at a DS hotel vs onsite. Everyone's zone of tolerance is a little different though!

My experiences with the bus were hit and miss. I've used them staying in the Allstar resorts as well as the Art of Animation resorts more recently. The buses aren't bad by any means but there is times you will likely wait a while. Early morning at park opening time was a big one, if you're like us you want to get to the parks as early as possible to jump on rides before the wait times get crazy. Keep in mind tho, many other people will have the same idea, so if you don't get to the bus stop early and wait you may be waiting in a line that could mean you have to wait for additional buses.

We liked to travel back to the hotel for a "chill" or naps mid day and then go back in the evening, the buses during this time were no problem at all. I love staying for the end of day shows but HATE waiting for the bus after the shows. You either have to fight the crowd to get to the buses quickly or wait forever. I had small kids so last time I went to the Hollywood studios light show at closing, waited a few min for the crowd of people that were wrestling to be the first one out. I literally had to wait for 5 buses, I'm not sure if everyone in our resort decided to go to the same place or what but it was miserable.

That was really my only true negative experience I had, there were times I had to wait but nothing crazy by any means except first thing in the morning or late evening.

It could almost always be more than a 15 minute wait, given that Disney buses run about every 20 minutes. How long your wait is depends on when you get to the bus stop in relation to when the bus arrives. If you consistently show up a minute before the bus comes, your experience will be comfortable. If you keep getting there a minute after the bus leaves, it will always be a mess (jmo,but unusual choice of terminoloy.)

Disney Springs resort buses run on an actual schedule - every 30 or 60 minutes, depending.

So is what you are saying that you think (and I am NOT holding you to it and know it's a 'guesstimate') about every 30 min on the shuttles in DS hotels, and about 15 on the ASM?
No. Disney buses come about every 20 minutes. Disney Springs buses run on an actual schedule, either 30 o or 60 minutes depending on the park.
Also, the bus for ASM picks up and drops off at all of the all star resorts.
Sometimes. Usually not. Only when it's wasteful to run separate buses. Movies would always be last on these runs, simply because it is third in the line of All Stars.

Sometimes. Usually not. Only when it's wasteful to run separate buses. Movies would always be last on these runs, simply because it is third in the line of All Stars.

We've almost always been on a bus that's stopped at all three resorts. I think the only time we haven't was at night at park closing.

It’s been over a year but last trip to AS resorts, non peak hours we shared buses.

20 minute wait isn’t uncommon at any resort or park, nor is it to see multiple buses roll thru to the same destination (not yours) while you wait.

Grabbing a seat at park close can be a difficult grab. When bus is SRO, i’ve elected to wait for next bus. Backfired a few times when large parties arrive with ECVs

Ergo, why I generally tend to rent a car, just too much for my type A personality lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter