Anyone else pronounce the 'l' in salmon

Always been silent for me, but in Miami a big majority of Spanish-speakers say, "SAL-mon." They even make fun of a lot of their sayings and pronunciations, as in the "*Things* Miami Girls Say -- and guys" videos on YouTube.

Do you say the L in aLmond too?
:scratchin I guess they do, actually but just a little, and like all not like the name Al, which is what was being mentioned in salmon. Hearing myself say it, I'm meaning to say all-monds but the L is so quick and soft it actually sounds like ahh-monds.
This is what I was thinking too. There are different ways to say the L. I definitely pronounce the L is almond, but it is lighter (all-mund) not AL-mund (like Big Al).

Always been silent for me, but in Miami a big majority of Spanish-speakers say, "SAL-mon."
I was going to mention the same. The only time I hear it regularly is if we are traveling in a Spanish speaking country. It’s funny because they will correct you. Like if you order salmon in a restaurant, they will repeat back, “Okay, you want the SAL-mon”.

Only when speaking of Salman Rushdie

No. The L is silent.

However my husband does because the L is pronounced in Spanish, his first language, so he’s always carried it over into the English word.

I no longer pronounce it with an l, but I did when I lived in North Carolina. I'm pretty sure my family up there still pronounce the l.

No. But my husband is not much of a cook and when we first started dating his go-to meals were either frozen pizza or pasta with Knorr pesto and a can of salmon. For some reason, he pronounced regular salmon without the l but he pronounced that nasty canned stuff with the l.

Yeah, I quit saying the ‘l’ years ago , but did growing up for sure. I now know better!

Always pronounce the l. Life is too short to worry about pronunciation of something I don’t ever intend to purchase or order at a restaurant. Almond is “all mon” & Aldi is ”All dee” just in case y’all were wondering, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter