Anyone else pronounce the 'l' in salmon

Skywalker3

DIS Veteran
I grew up always pronouncing the 'l' in salmon. So, sal-mon. My parents and all of my aunts/uncles, would say it that way. This is deep south Alabama. I can't remember how folks said it in Louisiana. We never caught it fresh, ,just had canned salmon to make salmon patties.
I don't pronounce it like that any more, except for a slip up here and there, it's still my first inclination to do so, but my husband hassles me to NO END anytime I do. Only heard one other older, southern, Alabamian woman say in recently.
Anyone else pronounce the 'l' in salmon?

For the past 40 or so years, the L is silent, although I do occasionally slip up and pronounce it.

When I was young, I ofTen said saLmon.

I do not pronounce the L excepting when I am purposely mispronouncing it to be funny.

Until I was an adult I thought that it was two different types of fish.

I grew up always pronouncing the 'l' in salmon. So, sal-mon. My parents and all of my aunts/uncles, would say it that way. This is deep south Alabama. I can't remember how folks said it in Louisiana. We never caught it fresh, ,just had canned salmon to make salmon patties.
I don't pronounce it like that any more, except for a slip up here and there, it's still my first inclination to do so, but my husband hassles me to NO END anytime I do. Only heard one other older, southern, Alabamian woman say in recently.
My husband does and it drives me nuts.

To me the L is always silent.

However, with the L pronounced, it is a man’s name, Salman, which I believe is Arabic in origin. Like Salman Rushdie.

When I read it in my head, yes. When I say it out loud, no.
Same! I know the L is supposed to be silent. However when I read it silently, it still sneaks in there. (And if I read it out loud, I have to force myself not to pronounce the L.)

Do you say the L in aLmond too?

Nope, it's sammon

I use the L - my kids make fun of me every time.

(I also cannot pronouns the car brand SCION - I think that is the name.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter