Any car rental places to avoid?

la79al

DIS Veteran
Looking at car rentals for next years trip. Wondering if there are any to avoid since the cheapest ones aren't companies we've heard of. Also, would car rentals be cheaper at a different airport? Not going straight to Disney so not too worried about flying into Orlando.

would car rentals be cheaper at a different airport?

The only absolute with car rentals is that there are no absolutes. Check the other airports for pricing. Check the non-airport locations, too.

I tend to stick with the known names for rental cars.

All rental companies have associated horror stories. It usually depends on the specific location as many are franchises. I always protect myself by meticulously inspecting and photographing the car upon pickup, noting to an attendant any dents/dings. Given that, we usually rent from Alamo, National, Dollar.

I had an interesting experience with Budget over the past couple of days. My car was not available when we went to pick it up at the Fast Break counter. Then upon return, I was charged a refueling charge even though I returned it full. I also don't like their toll road policy.

I have had good luck with Alamo and National. I tend to get the best Alamo rates with Costco.

I had a very good experience with Alamo. When shopping around, Alamo offered the best price for my rental.

I did have a small issue- the person at the counter when I was renting the car suggested that I pay in advance for a full tank since I was going to be driving a lot. I thought that with all the mileage and also for the convenience it was a good idea. It wasn't till I walked out to the car that I realized they had given me a hybrid... I only used 1/3 of the gas and of course I had prepaid for a whole tank.

I got an email requesting feedback and I mentioned that I thought this was an aggressive sales tactic, to push buying the full tank of gas before revealing that the rental was a hybrid. The manager agreed and refunded me the ENTIRE tank of gas back. It was more than I ever expected and left me with lots of confidence to rent from Alamo in the future. The car I rented was practically brand new, sparkling clean and smelled great. Alamo says "We want you to be 100% satisfied with your rental experience. Customer service means everything to us," and they really delivered on that.

I've had bad experiences with Advantage in both Orlando and Denver. My mom tried to rent from one of the off brands at MCO, they had some issue and sent her an email telling her she had 60 minutes to respond to keep her car, she had just taken off from MSP so didn't get the email for 3 hours. I will pay the extra money to get National, Hertz, Alamo or Enterprise. Seems to be less nickel and diming with them, plus with AAA and a little planning you can get some decent perks.

I rent through Costco as I find them to be the cheapest, but prices go up and down like a yo-yo. I rent when the price looks good, but then I keep checking and if it drops, I cancel my original reservation and rent again.

It wasn't till I walked out to the car that I realized they had given me a hybrid... I only used 1/3 of the gas and of course I had prepaid for a whole tank.
They gave you? There are Alamo locations where they assign vehicles/spaces? Where? I choose Alamo because I can pick any vehicle from my aisle.

They gave you? There are Alamo locations where they assign vehicles/spaces? Where? I choose Alamo because I can pick any vehicle from my aisle.

This was at the WDW CCC... tbh, I had never rented a car before (ever) so idk what the usual process is at the CCC. But after I signed the paperwork they walked me out to the hybrid, I definitely wasn't offered a choice (maybe because I was ignorant that having a choice was an option?)

Nah, I've never rented from the CCC. Most likely they assign cars due to limited inventory. Not like airport locations where there might be 30 cars in your aisle/category and you just choose.

I've rented at the CCC through National, and I've often asked if I can choose a car, if I'm not thrilled with the one I'm offered, and they've always said 'yes.' I know I've chosen an upgrade a few times, and not been charged the extra. YMMV, but that's been my experience.

I frequently pick up an Alamo rental at the Dolphin when we’re at WDW. They always assign the car, just handing you the keys and a locator slip to give to the valet who brings the car around from the parking lot. They usually ask if I’m okay with a particular model, especially when it’s what they consider to be an upgrade (e.g., an SUV when I always book a full size sedan). I now refuse such upgrades, ever since we were given a large Suburban when we were heading to a beach stay for the week after we left WDW. Not only was the gas bill high, but that beast was an adventure in every parking lot. This was back in the days prior to back up cameras. Last November, I had to wait for a car to be brought over from the Car Care Center, since all they had available at the Dolphin were SUVs, minivans, and small subcompacts. The rental agent waived the refueling charge because of the delay and I returned the car with about 1/4 tank without being charged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter