An Inconvenient Truth...

If we should all be so worried about global warming and the "dire consequences" than we should drastically change our lifestyle. If it does mean the survival of our very existence. Shouldn't we start we Disney World then? How do you get there? Plane, train, or automobile. It really is an unnecessary trip that does nothing but pour more pollution into the air. What about the power it takes to light those parks, ride the rides, and move people about? I am sure Disney transportation pollutes alot. And it is all unnecessary. We are destroying the environment to have a little fun. Fireworks must pollute the air some, leading to a warmer climate. No matter how little .... every small change we can make is a move in the right direction. How many trees must be cut down to feed those fast past machines. Trees that could be used to clean the air are instead used so we don't have to wait in line. Don't get me started on the amount of wasted water at WDW. From the figures that squirt you while you are walking through the parks to the water parks themselves. The list is endless. I'll bet we could lower the earth's temperature by at least a point if we raze WDW. So for the global warming people out there: are there post on these boards talking about how much you enjoy WDW and bragging about the great airfare you got to get down there? If so, than don't make me feel guilty for driving my truck, heating my house, watching tv, taking long showers, and using toilet paper.

I like this post. Who needs studies and biologists when you have good old fashioned SARCASM!! Problem? Not in your lifetime, huh?

Haven't seen the movie. But we've only had one big snow so far this year. I don't remember a year like this one.

I don't know if it will last! We may have to pay for it in the next 3-4 months with mountains of snow on the ground and inches of ice on the cars, etc.

BUT...if this is global warming, I'm all for it! Bring it on! More, please!

I read in the Times the other day that Walmart is starting a push to get Americans to use the new energy saving bulbs. I have started to buy them and I really like them. They last longer, they're just as bright and if I'm saving energy-then all the better. I started working at home twice a week to save gas-it's good for my wallet and the environment. I buy energy saving appliances and wash in cold water. I recycle my papers, my cardboard and my plastic. So, I'm trying to do what little I can to lessen my impact.

However, I get a little tired of the rich and famous telling me how I'm supposed to live my life while not changing theirs. Energy conservation is critical to the Kennedys-until somebody wants to put wind turbines up that might block their ocean views from Hyannesport. John Kerry talks a great game about the environment from his 3 houses, his private jet and his limo. When the Hollywood stars drop their limo service and private jets, I'll take what they have to say about what car I should drive more seriously.

I haven't seen the movie yet, it's on pay per view now, so it should hit HBO or Showtime pretty soon and I'll see it then. I do believe that global warming is a problem, I'm no scientist so I don't know how it's caused or how it can be fixed. I did read an interesting book by Michael Crieghton called State of Fear that had a different perspective on it. If you're open enough about the issue, you might want to take a look at it.

Submitted for your approval: 8 of the 10 warmest years on record (going back to the 1800's) have occurred in the past 13 years. Coincidence? You decide.

Submitted for your approval: 8 of the 10 warmest years on record (going back to the 1800's) have occurred in the past 13 years. Coincidence? You decide.

The key is, "on record". There was a long warming period about 4 or 5 hundred years ago. How is that explained?

Yeah, there are small things we can all do. If we all switch to flourecent light bulbs, we'll save the earth. The very fact that you are only willing to make small changes underscores my point. If you really think the earth is doomed, don't you think you should be doing a lot more? And for every one scientist who says that global warming is caused by humans, another says it a natural event. Al Gore and others spins this by saying global warming is unanimous in the scientific community. Of course it is, but whether it is caused by humans or not is hardly unanimous. Have fun with your annoying flourecent light bulbs. I am never giving up the 8 100 watt halogens that burn in my kitchen everytime I am cooking.

Yay for you. I'm sure your great-grandchildren will think of you fondly.

And as for your first point and question...no. I also know there are hundreds if not thousands of homeless hungry people in my city. Does that mean I'm going to sell all my belongings and eat bread and water every day to help feed and clothe them? No.

From my understanding, global warming is said to lead to aberrations in weather not just "warmth". But that aside, it's a good subject to think about. I hope that we never get to the point where we think we're experts about everything particularly when it comes to nature.

There are talking heads on both sides of the issue. For every "expert" one side presents the other presents an "expert" with an opposing view.

The concept of global warming makes sense to me. I can't see how anyone can dispute the fact that the weather patterns over the past several years are changing.

Put politics aside. Remember back to the 60's or 70's and think about whether the weather has changed.

There are talking heads on both sides of the issue. For every "expert" one side presents the other presents an "expert" with an opposing view.

The concept of global warming makes sense to me. I can't see how anyone can dispute the fact that the weather patterns over the past several years are changing.

Put politics aside. Remember back to the 60's or 70's and think about whether the weather has changed.

It's clear that the weather patterns are changing. The question is the cause. Natural? Man-made? A lot of one a little of the other?

The key is, "on record". There was a long warming period about 4 or 5 hundred years ago. How is that explained?

Nope....that was using ice data from the antartic....it goes back 600,000 years. Nice try,though. I really suggest you see the movie.

Nope....that was using ice data from the antartic....it goes back 600,000 years. Nice try,though. I really suggest you see the movie.

Search for "Medieval Warming Period" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_climate_optimum

2000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.png

I was mistaken on my numbers. The warming period lasted about 400 years from 1000 to about 1400 then followed by "The Little Ice Age".

Yay for you. I'm sure your great-grandchildren will think of you fondly.

And as for your first point and question...no. I also know there are hundreds if not thousands of homeless hungry people in my city. Does that mean I'm going to sell all my belongings and eat bread and water every day to help feed and clothe them? No.

Poor analogy. Your example would save a few hundred people, but if you believe we are destroying the earth, isn't that genocide?

Poor analogy. Your example would save a few hundred people, but if you believe we are destroying the earth, isn't that genocide?
Your argument just points out how basically selfish the human race is. I don't see how it touches on whether global warming is fact or fiction. :confused3

Well, if it's "in question" that we humans are contributing to it, then why not err on the side of caution and buy some fluorescent lightbulbs or start carpooling? I don't get the "I'll exude all the greenhouse gases I want" attitude. Saving energy is good for the planet, as well as for our collective wallets. It's a win-win, IMO. :thumbsup2

I was mistaken on my numbers. The warming period lasted about 400 years from 1000 to about 1400 then followed by "The Little Ice Age".
I saw a show on the History Channel a few weeks ago about The Little Ice Age. Interesting stuff discussed! :)

The Medieval warming period IS discussed in the movie. It was nowhere as warm as we are now, and CO2 was MUCH lower than it is now. In 600,000 years of temperature data, we have never been as warm as we are now, and our rise in temperature is directly related to our rise in CO2. This all started occurring in the 1950's...when the automobile (and so MUCH burning of fossil fuels) took over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter