An Exchange question

DownNeckBoy

Mouseketeer
How does MS determine how many points an Exchange will cost? For example, if an owner wants to go off-season to Aruba, how are the points determined? Does it make a difference between the various resorts? This may be something I want to do in the future, but I just can't figure out the mechanism for it. Thanks for your help.

:confused:

Look at OKW charts for Adventure and Dream for the same size unit you need and that will give you a great idea. When DVC offers you an exchange, they have a chart that tells them the minimum season for DVC that you must give up. They then see what is the lowest points for ANY DVC resort that will meet that and THAT you could book yourself. The 7/11 mo windows ands banking/borrowing rules still apply. For an instant match you will give up the number of points for that size unit. For an ongoing search, if they offer you a larger unit, it's still the points for what you were searching for. Aruba for summer will be adventure, Xmas to Easter will be Dream or Magic.

Dean:

Thanks for your very excellent insight into the exchange process. Do you know how Hawaii lines up as far as the various seasons?

:jester:

We did an exchange to Hawaii for an April 2002 trip in an expanded 1 bedroom unit (2 baths) on the big island. It cost us 160 points, or the equivalent of a 1 bedroom in adventure season at OKW. We were very pleased with that. Be sure to be as flexible as possible. We will be two couples traveling together in a one bedroom, but the 2 baths appealed to us. We made a very open exchange request for a 1 or 2 bedroom anytime before June 1, 2002. Our exchange came through in just 5 days! Of course, we did this as far out as possible.

Though I have heard several people say that they were charged Adventure season points as Diane does. MS tells me that year around in HI is Dream except for about 3 weeks in October. I would suspect that the lower points some people are spending is because they are matching about a year out or more. You can always decline if they offer something for more points than you want to spend.

Another option is using DVC for independent exchange companies, you will have additional choices and access to weeks and resorts other than the ones available to DVC thorugh II.

Dean, I made my request more than 2 years out. I was quite surprised when I got it for Adventure points. The thing I don't understand, is why my points were taken out in October, nearly 6 months after they varified the exchange. Is it because that was the cheapest exchange they found? I never have understood quite how that works. MS did say they would try to get me the cheapest (in points) exchange available.

If you book two years ahead of time, what are the rules governing the points? Are they "lost" immediately or can you change your mind as it gets closer to the vacation date? Also, what happens if the point cost goes down in the interim? Are the points adjusted at all? Thanks for your help.

:smooth:

Diane, when is your use year? Does that have any relation to the time your points were taken?

Let's see... when is the 11 month window for October booking? September! Perhaps, they waited until October so they could deduct your points for a September week at OKW to be reserved and given to II. If they'd done it sooner, they may have had to give you a week from a higher season. Since you were requesting so far ahead, they may have had more time to work within the DVC seasons for your trip. That may be why requesting early can result in using fewer points. I'm just guessing here, I really don't know.

DownNeckBoy, once DVC quotes you a points cost for a particular exchange and you agree to take it, it's set - won't go up or down. The week is scheduled to be given to II. No matter when you book, it's a commitment from both you and DVC.

If you change your mind, you get your points back but there are restrictions placed on those points. They may expire soon and you may be told you may only use them for another II trade. You may only be able to request a short notice exchange. And you lose your trade fee ($75). Maybe someone here can be more specific or you can ask when you call MS.

Actually if you change your mind AFTER you've confirmed a reservation, you fall under the II cancellation rules which changed a year or so ago. I believe you have up until one year from your cancellation or 2 years from the date of the week you gave II to use the deposit. My understanding is no points back as the unit has already been given to II and you know it isn't still sitting there. There was something in the VM I believe a year or so ago relating to this.

Originally posted by DownNeckBoy
If you book two years ahead of time, what are the rules governing the points? Are they "lost" immediately or can you change your mind as it gets closer to the vacation date? Also, what happens if the point cost goes down in the interim? Are the points adjusted at all? Thanks for your help.

:smooth:
As Lisa noted, the points don't change after you've commited. MS does seem to have some flexibility as to when they take the points. I'd ask them as I'm not certain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter