AmyT's Journal (Comments Definitely Welcome!)

lovinaz

I've never met a piece of cheesecake I didn't like
Hello everyone, I am new to this whole journal thing, so please excuse any posting faux pas I may make!

A little about myself - I am a 33 year old mother of 2 (DS9 and DD6). I am 5'4" and currently weigh 138. I have been steadily gaining weight for the past 18 months :guilty:

I eat pretty healthy (rarely have fried foods, etc) and I exercise regularly (3-4x a week on the elliptical for 40 min, occasional Pilates & ball work). My problem is obsessive SNACKING! I swear, sometimes I feel like I have some sort of mental problem :crazy: I am fine at work, no temptations, no snacks other than fruit or carrot sticks. But when I come home, LOOK OUT!!!!! :earseek: I want to eat everything and anything in sight. I have tried drinking water, eating rice cakes, eating fruit, taking a nap, but nothing helps. I am really bad about coming home and pigging out after working out. It's not that I'm hammering down a pint of Ben & Jerry's (although I could!) but it is the sheer volume of food I am consuming!

For example, yesterday when I got home, I ate 2 white cheddar rice cakes. Then about 1/2 hour later I had a piece of string cheese. Then about 1/2 hour after that I had a small piece of chocolate and 2 LARGE handfuls of mixed nuts. Then about 1/2 hour later I had dinner (Hamburger Helper, which is about the unhealthiest dinner I make, plus I don't make it often - maybe once every 3 months). After dinner I had a serving of fat-free pudding made w/skim milk. Then I snacked on some Dreyer's low fat sherbet & ice cream... See what I mean?!? And don't even get me started on the weekends!!!!!!

I will lose about 3 lbs during the course of the week, then gain every ounce back during the weekend. It is not good for my body, plus I have to get this snacking problem under control. I hope there is someone else that reads my journals who has overcome this same affliction. I would be SO thankful to hear I'm not alone!!

This week I am doing a modified Special K diet to try to counteract overeating from last weekend... I am going on vacation starting Saturday July 2nd (to MI to visit relatives) but I will try to keep up my journal while I am gone. I mostly plan on keeping track daily of my eating and exercise. Who knows, maybe accountability is all it will take to get my mind where it needs to be!

TODAY SO FAR:
Breakfast (6am)
Special K Vanilla & Almond
1/2 cup skim milk
1 cup cantaloupe

Snack (9am)
Banana
Green tea w/Splenda

Lunch (11am)
Apple Cinnamon Cheerios
1/2 cup skim milk
1 cup strawberries
Diet Coke

PLANNED:
Snack (2pm)
Quaker Crunchy Granola Bar
1 cup grapes

Workout (3:30pm - 40 min elliptical)

Dinner (5:30pm)
Beef tips in crock pot
Whole wheat noodles

My daughter has ballet from 6:15-7 tonight, so that doesn't leave too much time for snacking. Wish me luck!

Hey, good job starting the journal, I think you'll find if you keep posting in it that that will be a great motivation to stop the snacking. Everytime you want a snack just think, "OK, I'm gonna have to put that in the journal for all my WISH buddies to see. :earseek:
I've always found that I snack when I'm bored, gotta keep things interesting. Anyhow, welcome, and Bananas for you!!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :3dglasses

first of all... Welcome!!! thx for leaving a comment in my journal..

You WILL get your snacking under control!!! It just takes time.. just by keeping busy you wont have time to snack!!

Have a nice day!! I look forward to helping you keep accountable!

Let me tell you about the gym yesterday! They had “member appreciation day” and to celebrate they had a BBQ place bring in food! WHAT THE HECK?!?!? Have you ever worked out while the smell of brisket lingers in the air? It was AWFUL, I kept thinking of how good it smelled! It was extremely hard not to wolf down a sandwich on my way out, but I resisted. I wonder what brainiac came up with that plan. I think instead of member appreciation day, it should have been called member retention day…

Despite all the olfactory distraction at the gym, I did pretty good yesterday! I ate what was planned, but had a couple extra snacks. When I got home from the gym I had a piece of string cheese. Then I ate dinner and for dessert I had a small bowl (about 1 cup) of Dreyer’s Orange Dream (orange sherbet w/vanilla low fat ice cream swirl). Then I went a little overboard and had 2 risbrod (chocolate finger w/puffed rice in it). They were the last 2 and I had to get rid of them!! And that was it! I REALLY wanted a handful of mixed nuts or dry cereal, but I didn’t do it! I drank ½ can of Minute Maid Light Lemonade instead. Yay for me!! :banana:

Today is going to be a little harder to stay on track, because I don’t have to take either of the kids to any activities tonight… But here is the plan du jour:

BREAKFAST (6am)
1 cup Froot Loops
½ cup skim milk
1 cup cantaloupe
SNACK (9am)
Banana
Green tea w/Splenda
LUNCH (11am)
1 cup Apple Cinnamon Cheerios
½ cup skim milk
1 cup strawberries
Diet Coke
SNACK (2pm)
Quaker Crunchy Granola Bars (2)
Apple
WORKOUT (3:30pm)
Treadmill @ 4.5mph for 40 minutes
SNACK (5pm)
String Cheese
DINNER (6pm)
Lemon Pepper chicken breast (baked)
1 cup cauliflower
½ cup brown rice
1 cup grapes
WATER
16.9oz X 5

I probably shouldn’t have a snack right after working out and so close to dinner, but I know I will want something, so I figure if I schedule it in, I won’t feel like I failed, since it was a scheduled snack! In addition to stopping binge snacking, I also want to ween myself off the scale. I vow to weigh myself only ONCE a day, in the morning. Eventually I would like to get down to weighing myself once a week, but obsessive habits like this die hard. :sad2: Currently I weigh myself in the morning, when I get home from work, and before I go to bed… I know all about daily weight fluctuations, and how it is normal, and I don’t know WHY I do it, because all it does is upset me! I already weighed myself this morning (137), so NO MORE until tomorrow! I can do it!

Hey!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the WISH Journal Boards! You've come to the right place.

Drink your water. Read other people's journals and keep your hands as busy as possible unless you really are hungry!

A cheer to start you off right! (Like DisDon and his bananas bananas!)
:cheer2: All right!
:cheer2: Hey!
:cheer2: Amy!
:cheer2: You can do this!
:cheer2: Eat correctly
:cheer2: Exercise goes a long way
:cheer2: Drink your water
:cheer2: Every day's a new day!
:cheer2: So get up! Good luck!
:cheer2: Yes You Can!
:cheer2: Y-E-S Yes
:cheer2: Stick to your plan!

Good luck! :cheer2:

Thanks everyone for all your encouragement! I think it will definitely help to know that someone will be watching my progress and I will feel REALLY guilty about going off the deep end!!!

TigerCheer, I started reading your journal and I noticed at one point you were going to Cedar Point. I LOVE that place! We are going next week! I grew up in MI and went there at least once or twice every summer. Now that I live in AZ, I try to make it once a year when I go back to MI to visit my dad. My kids LOVE it (my DS went on Top Thrill Dragster last year at the ripe age of 8). My DD6 wishes she were taller so she could go on some of the bigger roller coasters. All in time, little one :flower:

My one hope is that I can BEHAVE and eat properly while on vacation for a week! I don't care if I don't lose any weight, my goal is to not GAIN anything! Wish me luck, we leave Saturday!

Hey there! I love Cedar Point!!!!! Take me with you-I'll go on the Top Thrill Dragster! It was broke...it actually lost its momentum and went WHOOSH and backwards. Scary. But other than that, I love it!!!!!!!!! Where are you staying?

We are going to Cedar Point for 2 days and staying for 1 night at the Holiday Inn. The Dragster did the backwards thing while we were in line last year (with people on it)! I wasn't freaked out about going on the ride until I saw that happen! :scared1: But then they came across the loudspeaker and said that it was designed to do that, just in case it doesn't get enough speed to make it up the hill. They spent about 45 minutes testing it, then it started right back up. I went on it once, I think I can live my life without ever going on it again ;) My favorite is a tie between Millenium Force and Raptor. We plan on doing 1 day at the water park and 1 day at the main park. I can't wait!!!!

Last year it was SO COLD when we went to the water park (especially since we are from AZ :cold: ). If it is like that again, we are going to skip the water park and do the main park for 2 days :p BUT, again the main goal is to LAY OFF the chocolate covered frozen bananas, ice cream sandwiches and fried foods... I know I will be walking all day, but that is a decrease in exercise for me since I work out at the gym all the time... I WILL BEHAVE THIS TIME!!!!!

It's supposed to do that? Really? The Raptor is my absolute favorite ride. I'm so spoiled living thisclose to CP. We went to HersheyPark last year and that was when I realized CP and WDW are my true homes. :love: Check the weather. It's 10 degrees chillier because it's by Lake Erie, FYI. Just choose one food (like something you can't get come heck or high water in AZ, like I always get chili cheese fries or soft pretzels), and enjoy it. Do that every day. All of those foods will still be there when you come back next year.

Have an awesome day. Swing by North Baltimore and pick me up before you leave!!

Hi AMy!!!

Thanks for stopping by my journal! That was very nice!!!

Ya know I used to do the same thing....snack all the time. Then one day my DH told me "You eat too much" I then put the snack down and backed away! What did I do then, I hid the snacking so he never saw it. Then I started to journal here and I don't really snack any more. I found this to be a very good place. I don't snack any more because 1) I want to reach my goal weight and 2) I don't want to have to tell everyone here what I did!!!! I know that sounds silly, but it is the truth. I know that soon you too will feel the same way. This place is great!

Thanks for the idea of splenda. I am going to have to try some. I never even thought about that for my peachs and strawberries.

Thanks again. Good luck.....You can do this! :teeth:

Take care! Have a great night!

Eeyore, thanks SO much for sharing your snacking story! I don't feel like such a food freak now!! I have also resorted to snacking behind my beau's back. :blush: I'd go grab something while he'd be in the garage and he'd always come back and say "What are you eating?!?" He just wants to help me out and is always telling me to have some grapes or an apple or something. But you know when that snacking obsession kicks in, grapes just won't cut it! I also need to stop because I was sneaking around so my kids wouldn't see. I don't want them to pick up any bad eating habits from me!

I will definitely feel GUILTY about writing down my snacks in my journal for all the world to see, and I think that will definitely keep me in line. I told DB what I was doing with WISH and he is very supportive. :love2: Thanks for all your encouragement everyone!

Well, yesterday I did GREAT! I only weighed myself once in the morning when I got up and the only "extra" snacks I ate were 10 pretzels (the small ones) with my string cheese, 2 Creme Savers and 2 bites of DB's ice cream. Woohoo!!!!!!!! :Pinkbounc

I signed up for the 5 for July and July Exercise Challenge (1000 min), hopefully that will help motivate me and keep me on track! I added a yogurt to my lunch, I was getting pretty hungry by 1pm, so this should help. When I get back from vacation, I will be back to eating salad or a sandwich or leftovers for lunch! I will also add a weight loss ticker to my journal, and update it weekly, so I can see my progress! I set my goal for 125lbs, but I would REALLY like to get back down to 120lbs, the weight I was before starting college... But we'll see how it goes, I think 125 is a great place to be!
BREAKFAST (6am)
1 cup Froot Loops
1/2 cup skim milk
1 cup cantaloupe
SNACK (9am)
1 cup grapes
Green tea w/Splenda
LUNCH (11am)
1 cup Honey Nut Cheerios
1/2 cup skim milk
1 cup strawberries
1 Yoplait Whips (peaches-n-cream)
Diet Coke
SNACK (2pm)
Apple
SNACK (5pm)
String Cheese
DINNER (6pm)
Pork chop
Mashed potatoes
Green beans
1 cup blueberries
WORKOUT (3:30pm - 40 min on elliptical)

Hi Amy!

Welcome to WISH! :thewave: That is great that you signed up for the 5 for July and the July Exercise challenge! Those challenges can be so helpful and motivating at the same time! Way to go, Amy! :cool1:

Have a great time at Cedar Point! We live in Ohio too and we haven't been to Cedar Point in over 5 years! :earseek: My DH loves the thrill rides, but I am a teeny-tiny bit afraid of them. ;) In any event, I hope that the weather cooperates for you and that you have a safe, fun, and relaxing time! :goodvibes

Have a great day! :flower:

Hey, good job, i think you're gonna have to be my anti-snack buddy. I'll stay out of the evil breakroom, and you can stay out of where ever you keep your snacks... :crazy:
Hmm, guess i'm gonna have to go check out the challenges, sounds interesting. <Mufasa> IS THAT A CHALLENGE?!
run, bananas, run!!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :3dglasses pirate: :duck: :crazy2:

Thanks to everyone for all the support! DisDon, I could definitely use an anti-snack buddy. However, if I stayed away from where I snack, I could never go home!!! :rotfl:

Tonight I will be busy doing laundry and packing (since we leave early on Sat we are staying at an airport hotel Fri night) so I hope that will curb any potential snack attacks! I can do it, 2 binge-free days in a row here I come!!!!!

AmyT,
Thanks for stopping by my journal! I really appreciate your support! :)
By the way, I am in love with Special K! It's awesome!
Keep working hard! You can do it!

Lisa

OK, I have to confess that last night could have been better… It wasn’t AWFUL, but it wasn’t great either – just OK. I worked out, went home and had my string cheese snack. Then I started getting the kid’s lunches ready and had about 10-15 small pretzels. I had dinner as planned, but after dinner I had a small handful of mixed nuts. The only good part about this is after I ate those, I recognized the fact that I really didn’t need to be eating, so I put them away and grabbed a Minute Maid Light Raspberry Passion drink. But later while waiting for the laundry to dry I had about 10 bites of sherbet/light ice cream… :guilty: That is gone now, and DB is under strict orders to NOT BUY THAT KIND OF STUFF AGAIN!! At least not until I have won the battle with my willpower! :goodvibes But it is still so much better than I had been doing in the past – no binges and I only weighed myself once in the morning! So I am improving, even if it’s baby steps, baby steps, baby steps…

BREAKFAST (6am)
1 cup Froot Loops
½ cup skim milk
SNACK (9am)
1 cup blueberries
Green tea w/Splenda
LUNCH (11am)
1 cup Honey Nut Cheerios
½ cup skim milk
1 cup grapes
3 egg whites
Diet Coke
SNACK (2pm)
Apple
SNACK (5pm)
String Cheese
DINNER (6pm)
2 slices homemade pepperoni pizza
3 Crème Savers
WORKOUT (3:30pm)
Elliptical (Level 4) for 40 minutes

I leave for vacation tomorrow!!!!!!! So I probably won’t be posting again until I get back to work on Monday 7/11. I will, however, remember my commitment to lose 5 lbs and exercise for at least 1000 minutes in July! I am assuming walking counts as exercise, as I plan on doing a lot of walking (especially at Cedar Point)!! I will also do my best to drink lots of water. I drink at least 100 oz per day when I am home, and maybe 20 oz per day when I’m traveling… I can do better than that this trip!!!

To start the trip the right way, I am taking the following in our carry-on cooler for Saturday morning/afternoon (we have a 4 hour flight): yogurt, grapes, carrot sticks, apples, granola bars, hard boiled eggs, string cheese, fruit gummy snacks (for the kids of course!). Same goes for the plane ride on the way home – I’ll pack the cooler with healthy goodies. Everyone stay on track (I hope I can), have a spectacular 4th O’July (beware of those BBQ temptations!) and I will catch up with you when I return!

Amy,

Have a great vacation!!!

At least your snacking yesterday was not as bad as what you first posted. And the good thing is that you realized that you didn't need what you were eating. You are going to do this....I know you are.

Have a great day and vacation. Keep it up! :banana: (I love these little guys!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter