Am I Being Financially Irresponsible? UPDATE on 1st post

maryisme said:
This trip won't break the bank but it will put a dent in it. My DH doesn't care either way. He feels as long as we are doing what we should be doing and aren't going into debt over it we should do it.
You're definitely in good shape financially -- better than most people. You've cruised before, so you know that once you add it airfare, a hotel room for the night before the cruise, tips, a couple meals at Palo, some nice clothes that you'll want for the cruise, etc., etc., etc. you'll definitely be well over 10K. That's a lot for a middle class family's vacation, but -- again -- you're in good shape and you can afford a splurge.

If you're concerned about whether it's too much of a splurge, you can skimp in a few places without sacraficing the trip: Are you close enough to drive? I don't know what cabin category you've booked, but a less expensive room might be a choice. You've already said that the spa isn't in the works -- that is a money pit! In other words, you could take a cruise without spending 10K+

I'd say look at your income and your savings. If you are comfortable with the splurge, go for it. Whatever you decide to do, don't spend the "waiting for the cruise period" second-guessing yourself.

Well, I think you're in good shape. And I think you are asking yourself all of the right questions. Not many Americans out there these days going through the sort of financial introspection that you have exhibited here. Good for you.

15% to retirement is awesome, but only you know what your portfolio looks like. For example, if you got a late start, you may be a bit behind.
On the other hand, the kind of thing you've been through with your DH shakes you to the core. And I like that you're renting out 600 points to offset the cost of the cabin...that could be 6K right there. I was going to say that excursions can kill you...because we're just starting to look at Med cruises for 2008 and we're budgeting big for excursions. But we're not taking a repositioning cruise, but rather a port intensive cruise (not DCL).

I don't know, normally I lean towards the conservative side on these posts, but I really think you've looked at every angle and thought it through. It really sounds like you're in good shape financially and can afford a cruise. Part of the fun of being financially repsonsible is that you *can* afford a splurge every now and again! It also sounds like your DH really wants to go...and well, I think he probably deserves it after what he's been through. I hope you all have a great time!

CarolA said:
My only suggestion would be to check that airfare rate. I just checked a one way from NY to Barcelona in August. The majority of the quotes were $1100 one way not $500

Carol,

My goodness how these rates fluctuate. I checked them about two days ago and they were all in the $500+ range and now today they are in the 800+ range. Something definitely for me to keep an eye on. By the way, I used Kayak.com.

Also, I did check the other cruise lines and you guys are right about there being a better value out there but we're just hooked on DCL. My two girls really love it - ages 11 and 2.5. So for now we'll pay more. I purposely chose the repo cruise because there were more days at sea. I had read somewhere that the excursions, besides from being costly, were 8 - 10 hour events. I'd hate to think of my little one after such a day. So this works for us. I love our sea days!

I just want to thank everyone who has taken the time to post. I'm really a very frugal person who likes to clip coupons, shop sale items, etc. As a matter of fact, I just got back from Waldbaums where I brought my grocery bill down to $30 from $88 with the use of coupons and rainchecks. Boy do I miss those double $1 coupon days. I hit them good. :cool1: . I guess you can call me cheap! We don't eat out often as we enjoy cooking (DH and I--he more so- God bless him!lol) We drive older cars - 2000's that are in excellent condition. That is something we should probably start thinking of saving for :rolleyes1.

We're very simple people in our day to day lives but when it comes to vacations--jeez..watch out! lol

Thanks again!

Mary

maryisme said:
I had read somewhere that the excursions, besides from being costly, were 8 - 10 hour events.
I agree with everyone else regarding taking the trip.

As for shore excursions, on the cruises we've taken, very few were as long as 8-10 hours - I'm actually not sure that any were that long. You might be in port for 10 hours, but the excursions generally lasted maybe 3-5 hours, some shorter. Forget the kids - I don't think DW and I would want to do a 10-hour shore excursion.

I definitely agree that it isn't irresponsible financially for you to have a wonderful trip! You are in great shape, so I'd not worry about that part.

I do agree with checking with other cruise lines to see what you might be able to get. I have a friend and his parents who are going on a 2 week repositioning cruise to Europe, and are spending a total of $3000.00 on some sort of suite (though I expect it isn't huge, but it is a verandah room). They leave in a few weeks, before heading through Europe.

But if your heart is set on Disney, go for it! It is pricey for a trip to Europe, but I understand wanting to do it.

disneysteve said:
I agree with everyone else regarding taking the trip.

As for shore excursions, on the cruises we've taken, very few were as long as 8-10 hours - I'm actually not sure that any were that long. You might be in port for 10 hours, but the excursions generally lasted maybe 3-5 hours, some shorter. Forget the kids - I don't think DW and I would want to do a 10-hour shore excursion.

Have you cruised in the Mediterranean Steve? I haven't, but am reading a lot about cruises there now as we're planning a trip there in 2008. Some of the Mediterranean excursions can be all-day affairs. Some of the ports are quite far from the actual destinations....so RT travel makes up a large part of the excursion time. Many that I've seen are 8-12 hours. I've only cruised the Caribbean and Alaska and the excursions are much shorter....

I know someone who used to live in the Mediterranean area, and said the excursious are pretty far (as the cities aren't close to the ports). It's like many non-cruise excursions in Europe, we did 2 all-day ones last year from Munich and London. And will probably do 2 or 3 this year as well.

Denise

dvcgirl said:
Have you cruised in the Mediterranean Steve?
Nope. Only the Caribbean. I guess my point of reference doesn't apply here. Learn something every day :)

I generally don't offer my opinion, since I feel I'm no "expert" on anything except my own situation. So I'm breaking my own rule to tell you to:

GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO GO!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

You seem to be in great shape, and this will be unforgettable!

Last week, a friend lost her husband. He just didn't wake up one morning---he was 32 years old. Her DD is my DD's best friend, and it's been an unimaginable nightmare.

Soooooooooo, that just reinforces our feeling that we are going to be reasonable, but we are going to ENJOY LIFE and make MEMORIES!!!!!

You guys seem like the poster children for financially responsible people. You should go and have a great time. I am just a little jealous. My husband hates cruising and refuses to even consider it. Be sure to let all of us know how it was! BON VOYAGE! :yay:

I thought...yeah you're being financially irresponsibe ... most post that start out with that question seem to have no financial stability. Wow was my preconceived idea WRONG!

I would only encourage you to make sure you want to do a transatlantic trip. Even experienced cruisers that love "sea" days can reallly get bleary eyed watching 6-8 days of the Atlantic. :earseek:

I'm with you on the kids. I wouldn't take any cruisline except Disney with my little ones. Well worth the extra to know they are well taken care of!!

It's also amazing how much illness can change our perspective on finances! A few years ago, I would have looked at 10k and thought how many years I could cut off our mortgage.

But life is a journey...and I want to enjoy the whole trip, not just the end of the road.

Please enjoy your cruise! :cloud9:

ohiomom28 said:
I don't see any problem with it. If you want to go, go and have a blast!
Wow I have done phone repairs in your neighborhood. I recognize the van and then looked at your place of residence. Soooo very cool

disneysteve said:
Nope. Only the Caribbean. I guess my point of reference doesn't apply here. Learn something every day :)

I was surprised too by the length of the excursions. You are literally off the ship the entire time that you are in port. This is one of the reasons that we're looking to upgrade to a suite when we cruise the Med. The line we're looking at allows suite guests to board two hours early, which is important for booking specialty restaurants. Suite guests get to 2 reservations at each of the two specialty restaurants whereas everyone else gets one. Plus, there are are only one or two sea days and so if you did want a massage or something like that...the sea days book very quickly. And the room service menu is full service...which would be great after a 14 hour tour.

This is my first post that has generated 3 pages! I usually feel like a thread killer..lol

I'm going to go ahead and start the process of renting my points. I've been asking questions on the DVC board and now feel I could proceed with more confidence.

I'll keep you guys posted. Anybody wanna rent some points??!!!

Thanks again.
Mary

it sounds like you already know the answer to your question, so why ask ? :confused3

I agree with the others, Mary. I say Go for it!!

I checked out some of the pricing/excursion info for the Med. cruises and really, with our kids, the repo cruises would be the only options. I can't imagine all day excursions, day after day. It looks like it takes 2 hours just to get to Rome before you can even start touring. Who knew??

Since you did the Panama cruise, you probably know what to expect with all of the At Sea days, so you will probably be fine. And how cool to sail across the ocean?!? Have a MAGICal time!

tmtg said:
it sounds like you already know the answer to your question, so why ask ? :confused3

Actually, I didn't know which is why I posted the question :rolleyes1.

Wasn't looking for a pat on the back when I posted my stats I was looking for real advice from the folks who visit this board. I know that there are a couple of financial planners on here who would offer advice based on their professional experience. I still feel I could be doing better and saving more --there is always room for improvement.

Are you no longer confused? :)

Mary

mojophone said:
Wow I have done phone repairs in your neighborhood. I recognize the van and then looked at your place of residence. Soooo very cool

I don't understand what you mean.

ETA: Ok, now that I look. I do have a van in my picture siggy...duh! I was thinking..I don't have a van and how did he know where I live...lol

ohiomom28 said:
I don't understand what you mean.

ETA: Ok, now that I look. I do have a van in my picture siggy...duh! I was thinking..I don't have a van and how did he know where I live...lol
so :rotfl: :rotfl2: rry didn't mean to scare and freak you out.

poohfriend said:
But life is a journey...and I want to enjoy the whole trip, not just the end of the road.
-----------------------------------

Wow! LOVE that phrase.. :thumbsup2

To the OP: Definitely go - and have a great time!! You'll never regret the money spent on those memories.. Hope your DH stays healthy for many, many, many years!! :goodvibes

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest