• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

All-Star Resort's love them or hate them?

Do you like the All-Star Resort's?

• Yes

Votes: 136 71.6%
  • No

Votes: 54 28.4%

• Total voters
I don't mind the all star resorts. They're nicer than $120/night will buy you in the rest of America. Quiet at night, multiple swimming pools, food with long hours, airport shuttle, mini fridge.

I prefer Pop Century because the bus ride to most of the parks is shorter.

My biggest value resort pet peeve is the shampoo-conditioner combo, but my most recent stay at pop had separate shampoo and conditioner!

I haven't stayed at an All-Star but will likely chose Sports for our next trip.

I grew up staying at the Poly and wasn't sure if I'd like a value. Stayed at POP last trip and my son (who had never stayed anywhere else) thought it was amazing.

For me a value is the difference between a 10- night trip or a much shorter one.

Both of my boys will love the theming at Sports and I might as well save a few more dollars.

We are at the hotel so briefly and, while they would enjoy pools with slides and whatnot, we can do that at home.

For me it's about budget and a place to sleep.

My biggest value resort pet peeve is the shampoo-conditioner combo, but my most recent stay at pop had separate shampoo and conditioner!

I actually LOVED the shampoo/ conditioner combo and searched everywhere for it after we got home so I could buy some more (with no success, sadly....)

It's a very very dark resort at night, and it makes me uncomfortable.
- I'm a city girl, and often returning to hotels at 2 am or so without issue ..
I agree 100% with @HopperFan re some of the drawbacks to AS Music. I had a very similar experience re that resort's layout & walking on my own in the dark in the middle of the night. In my case, Magical Express scheduled their pickup for 1am'ish for my 6am flight to Canada (considered an international flight so wild middle of the night pickup). I was there a few yrs ago, stayed in Jazz Bldg, because it was standard at that time (now preferred). I also found many blown light bulbs/poor lighting on walks to/from my room. Now that my standard room choices would be much further back in the footprint, I'd absolutely take @HopperFan's advice & either pay for preferred or speak with the CM on check-in, explain my concerns, and ask for availability in Rock Bldg.

As much as I prefer Music's theming, I now stay at Sports because the layout is more lateral and so friendlier for both late night walking & generally for cutting down the walking time to/from my room.

Since the All-Star Resorts arguably are some of the worst resorts on property, I wanted to know how people feel.
I most strongl;y object to the statement "arguably are some of the worst resorts on property". The value resorts are what they are, a nice resort for less money. You can argue all you want that they don't have egyptian linens on the beds, they don't have four star accommodations. Of course they don't. They are the value resorts. From these posts, I sometimes wonder if the so called four star resorts are actually as good as they say they are. I have a friend who has stayed at every resort on property. Their worst stay was at the Grand Floridian. So much so, they said they would never return there. The values offer families a chance to stay on property, experience the Disnaey Magic for a lot less than what they would have to shell out for the next tier of resort offerings. Personally, my wife and I go to the All Star Music every year. We love the property, the cast members, the whole feel of the resort. For this year's travels, I asked my wife if she wouldn't rather stay at a better rated hotel such as Animal Kingdom or the Contemporary. "Are you kidding me? What kind of vacation would it be without a stay at Music?" Values are not the Worst. They are a nice place to stay and I will challenge anyone who says differantly.

We don't mind them at all. We also have 2 younger kids who love all the "Disney in your face" decor.
We stopped staying at them bc we were there one week when the cheerleaders were also there. I don't want to go to bed to cheering outside the courtyard and wake up to cheerleading outside in the courtyard. I also don't want to be in the pool with 2 young kids and 300 obnoxious, cheering teenagers.

We've never done a value since they only have double beds and no pool slides. For my children the pool is just as important as the parks. I've thought about a value for a mother/daughter trip but DD will still want her pool time.

DS is staying at All Stars for his senior class trip. They are packing 4 to a room. I'm sure he won't have any complaints but he will most likely be bummed that there is no pool slide.

I'm not a fan of the value resorts as a rule but I have stayed at both Pop and ASSp and of the two, I liked Sports better. The rooms at the two resorts were similar, although POP was more dated (they are working on it now) and less clean. I preferred the smallness of Sports compared to POP, not so much in distance from rooms to the front but the noise levels in the common areas seemed less. If I had to stay in a value resort, I'd just stay in whichever one was cheaper.

I didn't have a great experience with All Star Sports last year. I knew the theme wouldn't excite me, but having stayed at Pop several times I had thought it would be pretty similar. The rooms were in pretty bad condition though. First one was really bad. Like should never have been used in that condition sort of bad. But every resort has off times with housekeeping so I just asked to be moved. The second one was better but still not in great shape. Carpet super worn, peeling paint, stains on the wall, etc. Maybe I'm a hotel snob, but it was bad enough that I won't return until they do get a refurb.

Outside of that the resort was okay. Nothing thrilling about the decor or pools. Bus service was spotty. Had a few large school groups that made the waits a bit excessive at times.

Only real positive I can say is that I thought the CMs here were great. If the rooms got fixed up I'd stay here again when I need a cheap room.

I am feeling better about my choice of Sports.

I am traveling with my friend, we simply need two beds, and twin beds would work.

And although I might go down a slide once or twice in a week, it really isn't a bid deal to me.

For me, they beat staying off-site but I can't imagine any scenario now where I wouldn't just pay the little bit extra for POP

And I agree with this. I wanted to save a few bucks so I tried Sports, but at $10-20 more a night I'll stick with Pop when I need a value.

Don't understand the "worst" when talking about All Stars. We have stayed there almost every year since they first opened. When our kids were younger it allowed us to go every year because of the price. We have stayed every level also and really find All Stars fill every need we have. Like the food court, the rooms are fine and just used for sleeping, rooms are clean, small resort which means less walking at the end of the day. I laugh when people talk about the shared buses. I have gone from a park to a deluxe and had the bus stop at other deluxe resorts before getting to the one I wanted. So on the rare occasion buses are shared the resorts are right next to each other.

I've stayed at hotels across the board, and Music was adequate for a busy vacation, but I wouldn't want to spend all day lounging there because of the lack of amenities or recreation. I preferred it to Sports because of the theme.

Regarding the safety concerns that a previous poster mentioned, I'm a female in my 20s and I've traveled alone across Europe, Asia, South Africa, and the Americas, and I think there's nothing to worry about.

We stayed one night at a value and just felt that the rooms were too small. We also hated the double beds.

- I don't think I love them.
- I have always loved POP.
- I like Sports and always had great visits.

- I like Movies but knowing it attracts lots of kids I don't pick it.
- I hate Music and I will stay offsite before staying there.
I agree with this.

I am feeling better about my choice of Sports.

I am traveling with my friend, we simply need two beds, and twin beds would work.

And although I might go down a slide once or twice in a week, it really isn't a bid deal to me.
Sports is a great value resort! its actually one of my faves. The theme is pretty neat....the boardwalk around the pool does feel like your at a beach. well, kinda. :) Its more compact, smaller than pop, so getting to your room wont take long. And its well lit.

My fave and go-to resort is pop, love that place...the lake is pretty, esp if you have a room facing the lake. I love the short walk over the bridge to AoA. But I also love Sports. I love how compact sports is, and i love the theme around the main pool (the boardwalk). Values provide what i need....a place to sleep, swim, and shower. Im at the parks all day so I dont need a fancy place.

The one resort I will absolutely NEVER go back to is Music. HATE that place. My first time at this resort was about a year ago. It was the only value ive never tried. I was not impressed with neither the layout or the decore. It looked more tired than the other values. And it was dark at night! I wasnt comfortable there at all. Did i mention how much i hated the layout? Also my experience with bed bugs at that resort really grossed me out as well. I know this can happen anywhere, and it does, but when combining the two, its enough for me to never return to music. To each their own.

It fills my need when I am on vacation. When I am at WDW, I only use the hotel to sleep, watch a little bit of tv at night, and get ready in the morning. The rest of the time is spent at the parks. It still has the amenities the other Disney resorts have like Disney Magical Express, WDW Transportation to/from the parks, EMH, Cafeteria etc. If people hate the All Star Resorts, then why do people like Pop Century. The rooms are almost a carbon copy of each other, only that there is a different theme and Pop Century is generally a higher price.
To be fair, the only onsite hotels I've stayed at was All Star Movies twice. We're booked at Sports for our September trip. But we're the same as you, we spend very little time in the hotel and I just can't justify the cost of a mod or deluxe for the amount of time spent there. I thought Movies was fine and we had a great time there both times!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter