• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airmiles Armchair Chatter

YES! I'm ready to play, but hope i don't have as much trouble getting to the finish line this time! I agree about getting ready to produce proof if need be, grab a couple of extra booklets & staple the receipts to the proper coupon, take screen shots of all FAQs, keep copies of any pertinent emails and have at it! I'll try to start a separate thread once the promo actually drops, unless someone else beats me to the punch :D

View attachment 282892

I didn't get extra booklets the last few promotions, so it was hard to keep track of all the T&C, etc. Going to do that for sure this time though.
Just looking back in my transactions for early 2017, looks like they started to award the STB bonus miles in early February 2017.

Excited for a new promo!

I was at Sobeys last night and thought I would be smart and pick up another Bonne Maman jam for $4.49 and 25AM, and another maple syrup for $5.99 and 25AM. Instead of stocking up on $15 of Quaker products and only earning 50AM.

Of course, forgot to look at the tags that they still had up saying both promos were only til Nov 9... and both items were more expensive. :(

Question for the pros here lol. I am looking at using am for ph tickets for DL in April and upgrading them to AP while we are there as we'll be going back in October. Am I better off getting the regular non discounted am tickets to use for upgrading? If they only give you Canadian resident price of ticket towards upgrading, I'll need to pay more in cash to upgrade to ap than if I had the non discounted am ph ticket am I right? Or would I be better getting the ph through airmiles and then paying out of pocket for Canadian resident ph for 2nd trip? Sigh, too many ways to go about this lol. Any help is greatly appreciated! This forum is the sole reason why I managed to become an onyx am member for the first time ever so thanks so much everyone- your contributions are invaluable!!!!

Last edited:

Picked up my shop the block booklet today! Now i have to decide if i want to make the switch to dream miles for a cruise vacation in 2018-19, or keep it at cash miles for our Feb 2018 wdw/us trip...

Do any of the offers involve redeeming Cash miles? Wondering if I should switch over my earning preferences to accumulate some...

Picked up my shop the block booklet today! Now i have to decide if i want to make the switch to dream miles for a cruise vacation in 2018-19, or keep it at cash miles for our Feb 2018 wdw/us trip...

Do any of the offers involve redeeming Cash miles? Wondering if I should switch over my earning preferences to accumulate some...

Only one, Rona. Use 475 miles or more on a purchase of $50 or more and earn 50 bonus miles. It is for use between Nov 22-Dec14

Might be different for each region though.

You dont need to switch to cash miles to use cash miles, only to earn cash miles.

I was at Sobeys last night and thought I would be smart and pick up another Bonne Maman jam for $4.49 and 25AM, and another maple syrup for $5.99 and 25AM. Instead of stocking up on $15 of Quaker products and only earning 50AM.

Of course, forgot to look at the tags that they still had up saying both promos were only til Nov 9... and both items were more expensive. :(

If Sobeys left the tags up (air miles, sale, or both) - they are suppose to honour that price when you reach the cashier.

A couple of weeks ago they had left the tags up for travel-size packages of bandaids. I didn't see the expiry date either. I told the cashier the price was coming up incorrect. She went; got the tag; gave me the sale price and made sure I had the air miles credited manually.

So I'm still not clear about this Shop the Block booklet. It's for all of Ontario is it not? Someone mentioned only Atlantic Canada, but Ottawa isn't Atlantic is it?

I'm near Oshawa. Can I pick up a booklet at any Metro, Shell, Foodland or Sobeys?

******SHOP the BLOCK****
This will be like last year's promo and once Tuesday rolls around all partner stores in all provinces *should* have the booklets at cash. There will also be a web-page go live with coupons. Time to try and be patient (something The Duck has yet to learn how to do!)
reports are out of booklets appearing in Sobeys stores in Ontario this afternoon. I've started a thread for this promo to catch people who might not follow along here.

Let the hunt begin!

If Sobeys left the tags up (air miles, sale, or both) - they are suppose to honour that price when you reach the cashier.

A couple of weeks ago they had left the tags up for travel-size packages of bandaids. I didn't see the expiry date either. I told the cashier the price was coming up incorrect. She went; got the tag; gave me the sale price and made sure I had the air miles credited manually.

I would have done this if the usual staff were there but it was Saturday night and I just didn't feel like going through that with the teenage boy cashier :(

Well, took the leap and redeemed for a CDN discount child ticket. Still listed as 3150 AM even though they are only offering 7-day at this point. Hopefully I'll get a regular child ticket and not a voucher. Don't think they have the new discount tickets yet as they probably would have adjusted the AM amount needed.

There's an item I'm interested in but wouldn't be able to order it until maybe Nov 27th, maybe the 24th. If my 800 AMEX air miles arrives then like they have the in past. I'm afraid it won't be around by then... Is there a time limit as to how long they stay on Air Miles? Or is it just until they are out of stock and remove it? It says NEW and showed up sometime in October. I don't remember when I first saw it. I tried chatting AM but the rep said they cannot "check/see" how many items of something are in stock.

So it's gone. It cost almost 16,000 AM and I just didn't have enough AM until those pending went through. I really wanted to order that as a Christmas present. I know everyone here loves Air Miles but I'm getting discouraged. I never had problems in the past but I always ordered attraction admission tickets, never merchandise or trips.

I swear it depends on how Air Miles handles my upcoming cruise. I've never been on a cruise let alone booked a vacation package with Air Miles before and I get stressed everytime I think about it. Has anyone booked vacations using their air miles? We booked a week before Air Miles recanted expiring people's air miles (2015?). Four people, two cabins with RCL. Since then our daughter keeps telling us she does not want to go. Long story - special needs, anxianty, etc. She'll stay with her aunt. My Mom passed away this past June. I offered our daughter's spot to my Dad. It's already paid for regardless - no refunds. I have talked with RCL. RCL says I can change the name of the passenger, no problem but I have to go through Air Miles since it was booked with them.

But then I read something somewhere online about Air Miles. I need to phone them. I'm afraid they will refuse and so stressed over it that I keep putting it off. I have got to deal with it this month. At the moment our two families (friends going as well) are suppose to be driving to FLL but there's always a chance we might book flights instead. I don't mind paying Air Miles an admin fee, which I'm sure they will charge anyways. Has anyone here had experience with needing to change a person on a trip they booked through Air Miles? How was it handled for you?

Well I went to Safeway ( in the west ) and took advantage of the spend 100 get 100 Am. I wasn't sure if I would have enough for 100...but I also had a loaded offer of 20 Am with a 75.00 purchase. I got to the till, and my total was 102 and change...and I got 195 AM with my loaded offers and what I could collect in the store. I just wish I had a Rexall closer to me to collect more AM. First world problems I guess. Gotta be happy with what I can collect.

Last edited:
Question for the pros here lol. I am looking at using am for ph tickets for DL in April and upgrading them to AP while we are there as we'll be going back in October. Am I better off getting the regular non discounted am tickets to use for upgrading? If they only give you Canadian resident price of ticket towards upgrading, I'll need to pay more in cash to upgrade to ap than if I had the non discounted am ph ticket am I right? Or would I be better getting the ph through airmiles and then paying out of pocket for Canadian resident ph for 2nd trip? Sigh, too many ways to go about this lol. Any help is greatly appreciated! This forum is the sole reason why I managed to become an onyx am member for the first time ever so thanks so much everyone- your contributions are invaluable!!!!

I did this two years ago. Personally, I'd try to scoop non-discounted tix to upgrade in order to pay less out of pocket. With the Canadian ticket, you'll save some AM - but pay more out of pocket.

You'll have to do math to decide what's best based on airmiles value at the moment.

This year when I got a Sig AP I didn't have enough AM to grab a ticket - I actually grabbed a ticket from LMT club and paid $295ish for it. So then the price of my upgrade was something like $500 for signature AP because LMT club tix are actually worth $350 in DL ticket system. I saved around $55 on my AP which was more than the renewal discount they were offering but allowed a 6mth gap between passes.

Gahhhhh still waiting on my points from Nov 8 to post... :(
The system was down for some maintenance over the weekend --- when i did an online chat to complain about my LnG offers not loading properly (weren't there when they say they started!?) the person i was chatting with agreed to credit my account but said they wouldn't show up till mid morning today. Sure enough, they are there in the last 30 minutes or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter