After hours - $149 for EMH?

Has Disney "always" done those?
Check your dates on that...
No but they have been doing them long enough to be completely relevant.
Same with character meals.
You can go to a restaurant and eat.
Or you can pay more and eat with some character interaction.

Depends on which holds more value for you.

There are so many different types of WDW travelers, that's my point.

Some people can go for a whole week, stay in a value resort..no character meals..qs only..no ads ons. For 7 days.

During the same 7 days-

Another family could stay in a deluxe with a tpv room. Do at least one character meal per day. Do pirates league and rent water crafts one day.

These 2 families will both enjoy Disney world. One family will be paying probably @ 5x what family 1 paid. Is either right or wrong? Nope. Does either one effect the other? Nope.

That's my point. Everything at Disney World has a certain market that it's after. But in the end the amount of "extras" that you want to do are absolutely your choice. They aren't forcing anyone..just providing options.

No but they have been doing them long enough to be completely relevant.
Same with character meals.
You can go to a restaurant and eat.
Or you can pay more and eat with some character interaction.

Depends on which holds more value for you.

There are so many different types of WDW travelers, that's my point.

Some people can go for a whole week, stay in a value resort..no character meals..qs only..no ads ons. For 7 days.

During the same 7 days-

Another family could stay in a deluxe with a tpv room. Do at least one character meal per day. Do pirates league and rent water crafts one day.

These 2 families will both enjoy Disney world. One family will be paying probably @ 5x what family 1 paid. Is either right or wrong? Nope. Does either one effect the other? Nope.

That's my point. Everything at Disney World has a certain market that it's after. But in the end the amount of "extras" that you want to do are absolutely your choice. They aren't forcing anyone..just providing options.

No arguments...

But here's the thing: have you not noticed that they are moving to eliminate the former in favor of the latter?

All these "exclusive" things at high cost are weather balloons...
If they float...you get a bigger balloon next time.

Let me put it in a way I never thought I would admit: Michael Eisner was ok with room for everyone...this clown is not.
The evidence is strongly building.

. You could do that quite frequently ...until about 5 years ago.

But for those level of crowds...they had attractions to support it.

Now they do not with the same lineup.

It buzzed the tower again, didn't it?

5 years ago? 7DMT was not even there for one, I never rode Space Mountain alone, and I never stayed on BTMRR 4 times in a row or as many times as I wanted, especially for 3 hours.

Either way-you said you look at your ticket value now, so do these guests.

Neither have eye...but EVERY single time I have purchase a ticket I was priced on the full day "potential" Value of the ticket.

Last edited:

Not that hard is it.

And its like that at Universal as well. Express pass was $149 EA (plus park admission)for one park XMAS week. Didn't include the HP rides, and only once on the others. With a one day hopper (to ride the train) thats over $300 EA.

Golf and Fishing are extra as well.

We hit US and still come back to WDW for the evening. That day is not cheap either.

Last edited:
No arguments...

But here's the thing: have you not noticed that they are moving to eliminate the former in favor of the latter?

All these "exclusive" things at high cost are weather balloons...
If they float...you get a bigger balloon next time.

Let me put it in a way I never thought I would admit: Michael Eisner was ok with room for everyone...this clown is not.
The evidence is strongly building.
Yes, but again- they're all "Extra" it's a family's choice to do or not do.

There's a lot of people who will take your stance on it.

However, there's a lot of people with my mindset as well- and I'm definitely not "rich". The mindset of justifying a higher price IF you see value.

Resort?
I didn't choose to stay at Poly bc I think they are 5 star accommodations. They aren't. I stayed bc even though crazy prices, the convenience to MK was worth it to me. And the theme was worth it to me.

Park Hoppers?
I didn't see any value with me and my 5 year old...so I didn't buy them.
We will hop one day on our upcoming trip ONLY bc I'm using our non expiring hoppers bc short trip.

Character meals?
We did and will do at least one per day. Why? Because I can get photos and my son can meet characters without waiting in line or using a fast pass. = value.

Fireworks party?
No value for me.

TPV room?
Yes, bc I love seeing my son wake up and run out to see the castle every morning. = emotional value.

A $149 price in place of an extra park ticket on a trip 5 nights or less with lower crowds?
I see a lot of value there.

Morning paid hour?
No value for me.

And so on and so on..

We pay for what we see value in. Disney knows this. They didn't get where they are by doing the opposite. Even though I didn't choose to buy hopper or do a desert party or cruise.. Doesn't mean that to another family the value isn't there. So that family purchases those "upgrades" that I did not see any value in, because they do.

I just think the extreme hard feelings people seem to be harbouring towards Disney over this is over the top. Spend your vacation how you wish. Don't pay extra if you don't want to.

If you want to hate on Disney for their 2017 summer cruise prices.. I'm right there with you. But to me the $149 is a non issue. It's an option not a requirement.

Last edited:
Not that hard is it.

And its like that at Universal as well. Express pass was $149 EA (plus park admission)for one park XMAS week. Didn't include the HP rides, and only once on the others. With a one day hopper (to ride the train) thats over $300 EA.

Golf and Fishing are extra as well.

We hit US and still come back to WDW for the evening. That day is not cheap either.
That's because you choose to tour Universal in an expensive way. Just like WDW it's all about choices.

Yes, but again- they're all "Extra" it's a family's choice to do or not do.

There's a lot of people who will take your stance on it.

However, there's a lot of people with my mindset as well- and I'm definitely not "rich". The mindset of justifying a higher price IF you see value.

Resort?
I didn't choose to stay at Poly bc I think they are 5 star accommodations. They aren't. I stayed bc even though crazy prices, the convenience to MK was worth it to me. And the theme was worth it to me.

Park Hoppers?
I didn't see any value with me and my 5 year old...so I didn't buy them.
We will hop one day on our upcoming trip ONLY bc I'm using our non expiring hoppers bc short trip.

Character meals?
We did and will do at least one per day. Why? Because I can get photos and my son can meet characters without waiting in line or using a fast pass. = value.

Fireworks party?
No value for me.

TPV room?
Yes, bc I love seeing my son wake up and run out to see the castle every morning. = emotional value.

A $149 price in place of an extra park ticket on a trip 5 nights or less with lower crowds?
I see a lot of value there.

Morning paid hour?
No value for me.

And so on and so on..

We pay for what we see value in. Disney knows this. They didn't get where they are by doing the opposite. Even though I didn't choose to buy hopper or do a desert party or cruise.. Doesn't mean that to another family the value isn't there. So that family purchases those "upgrades" that I did not see any value in, because they do.

I just think the extreme hard feelings people seem to be harbouring towards Disney over this is over the top. Spend your vacation how you wish. Don't pay extra if you don't want to.

If you want to hate on Disney for their 2017 summer cruise prices.. I'm right there with you. But to me the $149 is a non issue. It's an option not a requirement.
I personally have no problem with people paying whatever they wish to for extras. It makes no difference to me.

What concerns me are those extras potentially eating into what used to be a part of a regular vacation. Will hours decrease due to the evening upsell? Will MK already be crowded because of the morning upsell? Why can't I watch the parade from the train station any more? And so on.

Only time will tell if any of this comes to pass but while planning these are things to consider. I do agree that we all pick and choose what we find value in. For example I enjoy the Christmas party but understand why others don't. It does bother me that people are kicked out of the park earlier than normal, I'll admit that even though we go.

According to reports and 1 photo, late hours at the Magic Kindom, ( You know the ones that Iger want $149.00 for), was empty, to the point there was more CM'S then guests.
....everything was.walk on.

I am so hoping this maybe the turning point, where Iger and his Igertrons have reached that wall where guests are saying..NO.
Maybe even get him fired.

AKK

True. Minimal tickets were sold and crowds supplemented with free tickets to limited number of DVC guests staying on site.

In all reality this was a brand new idea out of left field that was announced with minimal notice with no fanfare (thanks to the leak a while back LOTS of media had to be adjusted). While the in the know gang on DIS follows close .... I would guess most heading to WDW had heard nothing about this. Those who went had all good reports riding everything multiple times. It does have a demographic and if given enough time to be widely known just may succeed.

AND I do believe this added once Frozenland/Soarin', Avatarland and ToyStory/StarWars Lands are open ......... sell out.

Turning point? I believe we will see plenty of tests to see where guests will bite, if they sell there is no reason for them not to keep finding those markets. As a regular guest I'll pick and choose what interests me, as a stockholder I would like for that bank account to get fatter. Real worry - let's hope Shanghai is successful, that is the biggest problem.

True. Minimal tickets were sold and crowds supplemented with free tickets to limited number of DVC guests staying on site.

In all reality this was a brand new idea out of left field that was announced with minimal notice with no fanfare (thanks to the leak a while back LOTS of media had to be adjusted). While the in the know gang on DIS follows close .... I would guess most heading to WDW had heard nothing about this. Those who went had all good reports riding everything multiple times. It does have a demographic and if given enough time to be widely known just may succeed.

AND I do believe this added once Frozenland/Soarin', Avatarland and ToyStory/StarWars Lands are open ......... sell out.

Turning point? I believe we will see plenty of tests to see where guests will bite, if they sell there is no reason for them not to keep finding those markets. As a regular guest I'll pick and choose what interests me, as a stockholder I would like for that bank account to get fatter. Real worry - let's hope Shanghai is successful, that is the biggest problem.

Totally agree
....Shanghia and the conditions surrounding the park may very well indeed blow up in Igers face.

I don't think it is a turning point. I think it is an event that wasn't promoted and was scheduled quickly. I think it is going to take more time to access its success or failure.

The fact that many here said they would never go or pay ..... and now hearing how everyone there loved it ......... are saying they would consider working this into the budget says the worse critics are softening. They were able to do more in 3 hours ride wise than most guests can do in 3 days. So why not budget that?

There is a market for this. It's a scattered market and Disney may have to work it awhile to get that info out there, as much is offsite, but if they do I can see it being successful, particularly during peak seasons.

The fact that many here said they would never go or pay ..... and now hearing how everyone there loved it ......... are saying they would consider working this into the budget says the worse critics are softening. They were able to do more in 3 hours ride wise than most guests can do in 3 days. So why not budget that?

There is a market for this. It's a scattered market and Disney may have to work it awhile to get that info out there, as much is offsite, but if they do I can see it being successful, particularly during peak seasons.

I agree.

Look, if they keep the tickets sold low, NOT like the oversold parties, where you can actually ride everything, we'd consider budgeting it into our touring plan once our kids are old enough to stay out that late. We'd probably take shorter trips instead of 8-10 nights.

Maybe. It's a lot times 4 people.

Look, if they keep the tickets sold low, NOT like the oversold parties, where you can actually ride everything, we'd consider budgeting it into our touring plan once our kids are old enough to stay out that late. We'd probably take shorter trips instead of 8-10 nights.

Maybe. It's a lot times 4 people.

They can keep tickets low and rake it in. If they sell 3000 tickets (while more than attended the other night still a virtually empty park) twice per week they could bank close to $1 million dollars each week. That is nothing to sneeze at when EMH make them virtually nothing. If it expands to the new lands coming it's guaranteed bank.

I would do exactly as you say, head down for a long weekend, work around it and hand over the money. Example: Heading down next month for a few nights. Staying at Disney Springs. Doing a special event at Universal. NO plans to do a Disney park, only hit Disney Springs one night. NOW this would entice me to hand over some cash to Disney and add to our schedule. Am sure there are plenty who are there for other reasons that would add this in to the plan.

They can keep tickets low and rake it in. If they sell 3000 tickets (while more than attended the other night still a virtually empty park) twice per week they could bank close to $1 million dollars each week. That is nothing to sneeze at when EMH make them virtually nothing. If it expands to the new lands coming it's guaranteed bank.

I would do exactly as you say, head down for a long weekend, work around it and hand over the money. Example: Heading down next month for a few nights. Staying at Disney Springs. Doing a special event at Universal. NO plans to do a Disney park, only hit Disney Springs one night. NOW this would entice me to hand over some cash to Disney and add to our schedule. Am sure there are plenty who are there for other reasons that would add this in to the plan.

Yeah, if they add this to Star Wars land I'd totally pay for it. That place is going to be a madhouse when it opens.

While I do not agree with Disney's "nickel and diming" lately, I did buy a ticket to this event. Normally, I would not have bought it. It seems to work out for me on this trip, however. The reason being is that I am only at WDW for a 2 days. My train doesnt get into Orlando until the parks are already opened for the day, if it's on time. I already have a One Day Ticket with PH for the following day. So I figure, I can go to Disney Springs for a bit, go back to my resort and relax or nap a bit, then head to MK at 7pm. Then I have the whole night to spend there. The next day I can use my one day ticket to visit the other parks. For me it was worth it to buy the event ticket. It would have cost me the same to buy another One Day with PH Ticket anyway, and by the time my train got in and I got to check in at my resort, half the day would have been gone anyway! I do wish it was less money however. It does seem alot of money to pay for access to just one park. Even the MNSSHP tix are less and they offer special "events"! Perhaps if they added some more incentives or offered it at the other parks as well, it would be more worth the price. I'm only hoping I won't feel ripped off by the end of it. Only time will tell.

What I will say is that 149/night is too much for us right now, especially for a family of 5. However, if they were to attempt this again at a lower price (haha), say 99/night, then we might consider. The thought of basically having what sounded like most of MK open for 3 full hours with hardly anyone there is appealing.

That's because you choose to tour Universal in an expensive way. Just like WDW it's all about choices.

I think that is the point. The time of year, the specific choices one makes, what one feels must be accomplished in a park, and the time allowed on a trip all play into what is a value and what is not.

Totally agree
....Shanghia and the conditions surrounding the park may very well indeed blow up in Igers face.

And I believe it should. I have read the articles explaining the differences in Capital expenditures and Seasonal cuts, and I understand that, but I also understand that someone did not do their due diligence before entering into the fiasco in Shanghai, and we all seem to be charged with paying for that neglect. I am not a financial guru by any stretch of the imagination, but I know that when you borrow from Peter to pay Paul....you are in trouble.

I was one of those who stated loudly and proudly that this had no interest for me.....and then I read the reports, and thought that if I could buy into an early package to bring the girls to Frozenland..... My entire famiy would be in Heaven. They would gladly pay the freight if I would take one for the team, haul my sorry self out the door with two Princesses in tow, ride ourselves silly belting out Let it Go, and then line up for M&G with A&E, have some Chocolate bread and then come back to the resort to meet the rest of the family....all of them in my debt Because they got to sleep in and avoid the entire thing.

ETA I was just discussing this with my DH this morning. I was surprised that he actually thought most of the extras were valuable to a lot of people, but to be fair, he knows not a thing about expanded hours, EMH, PPO breakfasts, etc. His role is to ask the cost, figure out if we have teh budget for all we want, tell me to make sure I had booked Pluto for Kady when he was all she could talk about, and to make sure I find a way to get Nola and Rylee in to see A&E. Then he shows up and goes where we go. But the prospect of an early entry to a Frozen event? He was all over it for the kids. I was surprised, not because he was willing to consider this if it was ever offered, but because he thinks that Disney has gotten exclusive in a lot of ways and that the cost is prohibitive for a lot of people. He does not mind extras like Parties, but thought he would be upset about early and late evenings for a price.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter