Admin Please Close Thread.

On living with the land today my daughter and I had a conversation that combined a two of our topics on here. I said if I was ever on survivor and was allowed to bring one thing with me it would be a book detailing all the plants I could or couldn’t eat so I could better survive. My daughter then chimed in with id bring a kindle not just a single book so I’d have the plant book on there but tons more so I wouldn’t be bored on the island either and the batteries last for a long time so it should last while I’m on the show. 🤣

That’s all I’d be able to get there anyway since they don’t have allergy accommodations for their cookies. Sprinkles used to have the crazy lines and now they are usually empty when I go there to get my favorite GF ice cream cookie sandwich. Before finding out I had celiac we would always get the giant ice cream cookie sandwiches at the Main Street bakery so this is the closest I get to that without making it myself at home.
We must love this bunch a lot...when we are posting from WDW and the surgeon's office! 😂 Heck, you all knew about my surgery before my mom!!

Welp I'm at the surgeon's office. Unexpectedly having a major surgery with a week in the hospital next month. With likely a second one sometime after. No fireworks or VIP for us.

Glad our trip is mostly paid for. :*(

Sorry to hear. Hope everything goes well & you have a quick & uneventful recovery.
Oh and if anyone is curious, the Gideon's virtual queue is currently 2 hours 15 minutes. And yes, I did join it.

I can’t imagine spending over 2 hours at Disney Springs, let alone doing it for Gideon’s, lol

We only been to Gideon ONCE. Call me a weirdo but I don't like cookies with SO MUCH chocolate chips in them!! Just can't....I don't even think it will stay in my stomach if I ate them....
But I really wanted to try the dark chocolate coffee cookie and DH wanted to try the banana one so we finally gave in, and also got their PB cold brew. Well....our verdict was....we aren't going back! LOL!😂 The cookies weren't bad, just not our thing. The PB cold brew was :crazy2::crazy2: !! I should have gotten the Pumpkin Chai instead!! But the guy said PB is more popular and I do like PB so sure why not?! The Reese's Nitro @ Everglazed is so much better! (surprisingly).

Okay fine....Let me say it out loud....🔊📢
Gideon's.......is.....overrated!!! :rolleyes2:rolleyes2:confused3 Yep I said it!! 🤪 Flame me!!! :rotfl2::laughing::laughing:

I agree with you both. We tried the regular chocolate chip cookies once. They tasted half raw. I love raw cookie dough & baked chocolate chip cookies. But half baked/ half raw cookie? Yuck. And my DH thought it was absolutely nuts we were spending so much for cookies. :rolleyes1

Sorry to hear. Hope everything goes well & you have a quick & uneventful recovery.

I can’t imagine spending over 2 hours at Disney Springs, let alone doing it for Gideon’s, lol

I agree with you both. We tried the regular chocolate chip cookies once. They tasted half raw. I love raw cookie dough & baked chocolate chip cookies. But half baked/ half raw cookie? Yuck. And my DH thought it was absolutely nuts we were spending so much for cookies. :rolleyes1
My sister and I did some shopping and then had a drink at Jock Lindsay but yeah it's definitely a stretch to stay at Disney Springs for a long time if you're not seeing a movie or something like that. I like the Banana Chocolate Chip because it doesn't have the fake banana flavor many banana flavored treats do but to each their own.

I have a World Book Encyclopedia dated 1901. Would that help?

be still my beating heart! i love reading through old reference materials-fascinating to see the thought process by virtue of the information available at a given point in time.
Cracker Barrel
even if you're not a big fan-if they are doing the offer when you go i suggest taking advantage of their current promotion wherein if you purchase an entree to dine on you can buy a second 'to go' from a select menu. it's an entree and one side in very capable (and reusable) freezer/microwave safe container. we both recently opted for the fried chicken and mac and cheese-both froze/reheated well. good deal for a $5 meal.

Last edited:

be still my beating heart! i love reading through old reference materials-fascinating to see the though process by virtue of the information available at a given point in time.

even if you're not a big fan-if they are doing the offer when you go i suggest taking advantage of their current promotion wherein if you purchase an entree to dine on you can by a second 'to go' from a select menu. it's an entree and one side in very capable (and reusable) freezer/microwave safe container. we both recently opted for the fried chicken and mac and cheese-both froze/reheated well. good deal for a $5 meal.

#BudgeBoardinfo I also have a weird habit of using hashtags (or the pound signs of old) as my internal voice.

be still my beating heart! i love reading through old reference materials-fascinating to see the though process by virtue of the information available at a given point in time.
My grandfather was a schoolteacher in a one room schoolhouse, and had several old books stashed away. I asked if I could take them home to look at, and when I tried to give them back I was told to keep them. There are probably 25 books or so.

The World Book is all contained in one large volume.

That was a roller-coaster of emotions ... sorry for your loss ... although, I am not sure?
Reader's Digest version, for those who missed my previous thread:

My oldest brother was a drug addict for decades. I haven't seen him since out mom's funeral in 2006. Great guy, I'm sorry about the direction his life went in. A couple months ago, his landlord reached out to my sister--at that time D was fighting COVID for the second time. He recovered, but a few weeks later was struggling. Back in the hospital, sepsis, he was in a coma, organ failure, plug was pulled.

At the time of his death, he wasn't in contact with the family. He was on methadone, disability, got food stamps, etc. On the good side, he was great friends with his landlord (nice guy!) and had dogs in his life. Sis and I spent decades worrying that we would get The Call--that he'd overdosed, or frozen to death under a bridge or something. So, the fact that he was clean, had a home, had food and clothing and friends--that means a lot. I'm saddened, but not overwhelmed with grief. Meanwhile, there's issues and complications and family drama that make the whole thing a bit comical. Added bonus, our mother was (unmedicated and) bipolar our entire lives, which is why nobody in their right mind would want to spend eternity next to her. Although I'm personally hopefully that she's whole in heaven in a way she couldn't be on earth.

Sorry, that ended up being longer than I planned.

My oldest brother was a drug addict for decades. I haven't seen him since out mom's funeral in 2006. Great guy, I'm sorry about the direction his life went in. A couple months ago, his landlord reached out to my sister--at that time D was fighting COVID for the second time. He recovered, but a few weeks later was struggling. Back in the hospital, sepsis, he was in a coma, organ failure, plug was pulled.

At the time of his death, he wasn't in contact with the family. He was on methadone, disability, got food stamps, etc. On the good side, he was great friends with his landlord (nice guy!) and had dogs in his life. Sis and I spent decades worrying that we would get The Call--that he'd overdosed, or frozen to death under a bridge or something. So, the fact that he was clean, had a home, had food and clothing and friends--that means a lot. I'm saddened, but not overwhelmed with grief. Meanwhile, there's issues and complications and family drama that make the whole thing a bit comical. Added bonus, our mother was (unmedicated and) bipolar our entire lives, which is why nobody in their right mind would want to spend eternity next to her. Although I'm personally hopefully that she's whole in heaven in a way she couldn't be on earth.

Sorry, that ended up being longer than I planned.
Appreciate you sharing, hopefully they will both be made whole.

My grandfather was a schoolteacher in a one room schoolhouse, and had several old books stashed away. I asked if I could take them home to look at, and when I tried to give them back I was told to keep them. There are probably 25 books or so.

The World Book is all contained in one large volume

that is spectacular!!!

crazy i know but-my 28 and 26 year olds attended 1 room school houses (actualy 2 b/c they separated the 2 youngest grades from the older) for grades 1st-8th. i think it was a spectacular learning model.

I'm jealous of everyone's Disney plans. Everyone in my family is traveling, except me. Well, I did book the dog boarding and hotel for my summer jaunt to Connecticut to inter my brother, so I have that, I suppose. My sister has chosen to have his cremains buried with my parents, poor guy--he'll be stuck next to our mom for all eternity! But, her choice, he can haunt her if he doesn't like it. And as a PSA--make your wishes known, people!

And after the memorial, we'll spend a week at a ranch in NY that we visit every year, so I'll have that, at least.

oh sweets! SO been there done that (unfortunately absent the sib being in a good place at the end). that said..........on the whole issue of making one's wishes known, spending eternity where you might not want to............i have to share this b/c maybe it will give you a laugh-

a member of my immediate family was horrible to some of us due to a power trip mindset. there was mutual manipulation between him and my sib akin to your's. i am convinced family member believed with all his heart and (lack of) soul that he would outlive sib so the stupid provisions he put in place to make my sib feel empowered (and be manipulated) would never be enacted.....he did not. my unstable sib ended up in control of all kinds of things including this person's cremains. for 11 years we were under the assumption that the cremains had been scattered in the sierras (sib liked to party there so we figured if nothing else he dumped them on the side of a road). well..................11 years after family member's death, 5 years after sib's death ANOTHER sib gets a random voice mail message from law enforcement in a far distant county to please contact them...........

long story short-sometime over the past 11 years a stolen car was seized by police and all the property went into the property room due to some kind of crime scene........including a box of human remain ashes..........the ashes of my family member..............the stolen car had no connection to him, no connection to my deceased sib, no connection to anyone we know-the police apparently opened the box and found the name of the out of state crematory with some kind of serial number so it was traced down................

interred for eternity with a difficult parent vs. sitting on the dusty shelf of an evidence locker b/c the party animal you trusted to inter you surprisingly forgot you in one of his party bud's stolen cars? it think to some extent it's karmac.

lesson learned-
m

that is spectacular!!!

crazy i know but-my 28 and 26 year olds attended 1 room school houses (actualy 2 b/c they separated the 2 youngest grades from the older) for grades 1st-8th. i think it was a spectacular learning model.
I looked at a house last summer in the Sierra Nevadas. The neighborhood was very remote and had its own school. It was two rooms also. I wished my kids could have went there.

oh sweets! SO been there done that (unfortunately absent the sib being in a good place at the end). that said..........on the whole issue of making one's wishes known, spending eternity where you might not want to............i have to share this b/c maybe it will give you a laugh-

a member of my immediate family was horrible to some of us due to a power trip mindset. there was mutual manipulation between him and my sib akin to your's. i am convinced family member believed with all his heart and (lack of) soul that he would outlive sib so the stupid provisions he put in place to make my sib feel empowered (and be manipulated) would never be enacted.....he did not. my unstable sib ended up in control of all kinds of things including this person's cremains. for 11 years we were under the assumption that the cremains had been scattered in the sierras (sib liked to party there so we figured if nothing else he dumped them on the side of a road). well..................11 years after family member's death, 5 years after sib's death ANOTHER sib gets a random voice mail message from law enforcement in a far distant county to please contact them...........

long story short-sometime over the past 11 years a stolen car was seized by police and all the property went into the property room due to some kind of crime scene........including a box of human remain ashes..........the ashes of my family member..............the stolen car had no connection to him, no connection to my deceased sib, no connection to anyone we know-the police apparently opened the box and found the name of the out of state crematory with some kind of serial number so it was traced down................

interred for eternity with a difficult parent vs. sitting on the dusty shelf of an evidence locker b/c the party animal you trusted to inter you surprisingly forgot you in one of his party bud's stolen cars? it think to some extent it's karmac.

lesson learned-
m
That's pretty funny, in a weird way! My sister has been doing all the heavy lifting in terms of arranging things for our brother, so it's not worth fighting or on the internment. My choice would have been to put his ashes in the ocean, but--whatever.

Meanwhile, we're waiting for the other brother to hit us up for money for plane fare to attend the memorial. If/when he does, we'll point out that we're waiting for him to kick in his share of the funeral costs (I'm holding my breath on that one!). Seriously, Sis's husband is a recent amputee with looming heart surgeries, and I've got 3 kids in college. Brother Mooch is going to have to find another source for his grifting.

I have been toying with the idea of buying a Kindle for .... literally years?? I love my library and check out books from them all the time, and I know you can get ebooks on Kindle and it'd be so much more convenient for travel, but I don't looooove the whole Amazon ecosystem. But the only other viable competitor is Kobo and that seems less ... prevalent? Potentially more complicated? IDK.

Anyway, sell me on Kindle, I guess?
You can use an iPad as an e reader. I check out books from my library digitally. For free. No money goes into the Amazon ecosystem as far as I know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter