• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Active shooting situation in El Paso mall

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband is a law enforcement officer, when he brings our children to a movie theater, I always ask him to bring his gun. It's sad but there are sick, evil people out there. I also believe this gunman, knew there would be mostly woman and children in Walmart on a Saturday morning, probably not a lot of men who carry, shopping on an early Saturday morning, that is probably why he picked that place.

Really? That’s what you want to focus on? The name of the gun? What the heck does it matter what it’s called. It was a gun capable of killing 20 and wounding 26. That’s not a weapon that any civilian should have access to.
I have 4 of them that have never shot a person before. I shoot them for sport. Why is it always about the gun used and not about the mental state of the people who do it. He could have ran 50 people over with a car and no one would say ban cars. He could have stabbed 50 people and no one would say ban knives.

I know many people want to blame the gun first but if guns were banned, do you really think these sick, evil people who want to kill people would just not kill because they couldn't get their hands on a gun??? I highly doubt it. There are millions of guns in the country and someone who wants to do harm, will get a gun illegally (like drug addicts get drugs illegally) OR they will kill people in other ways, not involving guns. Sadly, these type of people will find a way to kill, gun or not.

Perhaps...But don't you think that it is insane that weapons of war are available to civilians? 20 dead in a few minutes? This kind of carnage is only possible with these types of weapons

I have 4 of them that have never shot a person before. I shoot them for sport. Why is it always about the gun used and not about the mental state of the people who do it. He could have ran 50 people over with a car and no one would say ban cars. He could have stabbed 50 people and no one would say ban knives.

Other developed countries have mentally ill people, other developed countries have violent movies/video games. These mass shootings, as a rule, only happen here.

Last edited:

My husband is a law enforcement officer, when he brings our children to a movie theater, I always ask him to bring his gun. It's sad but there are sick, evil people out there. I also believe this gunman, knew there would be mostly woman and children in Walmart on a Saturday morning, probably not a lot of men who carry, shopping on an early Saturday morning, that is probably why he picked that place.
There were actually a lot of people who were carrying. Texas used to be a state that made it easy to carry a concealed firearm, but more recently they allow open carry for anyone with a CCW permit.

Several people were interviewed including a guy with a CCW permit. He apparently ran in there with his gun thinking maybe he could confront the gunman, but in the end he was more concerned with removing kids from the area. There were a lot of reports of multiple shooters, even though it's well known now that there was only one. Besides that, someone with an AK47-style rifle is going to have a huge advantage over anyone with a handguns.

This is the guy who went in with a handgun. He claimed to be a military member with a CCW permit. He was also stopped by the police because he had his weapon showing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-scooped-children-during-el-paso-mass-shooting-n1039011

I don't know. I never worry about my DH or DS being a part of 50 people who are run over or stabbed. I do worry about them being a part of a large group, due to semi-automatic weapons. I also worry that my DS works in the office on a college campus. How about we take away the guns that kill dozens of people at a time, then we'll worry about the cars & knives?

FWIW, I have no problem with people having personal pistols & hunting guns, but semi-automatic & automatic rifles are different. How would we feel, if someone mowed down a field of deer with a semi-automatic rifle? I think we would all agree that gun wasn't necessary to hunt for food.

Last edited:
Bush Denounces ‘White Terrorism’ After Shooting

Texas General Land Office Commissioner George P. Bush (R) called on all Americans to stand against “white terrorism” after a gunman who espoused white supremacist views in a manifesto killed at least 18 in El Paso, The Hill reports.
Bush, son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R), said Saturday evening that “white terrorism” was a “real and present threat that we must all denounce and defeat.”
He added: “I believe fighting terrorism remains a national priority. And that should include standing firm against white terror

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...ounces-white-terrorism-after-el-paso-shooting

Last edited:

So exactly what makes one a "military style assault weapon" a opposed to a non-military style made for civilian use? Again, I'm looking fo-automatic rifle. r specifics not the buzz phrases you hear in the media.
Any semi-automatic rifle, shotgun, or pistol that is able to accept detachable magazines and possess one or more other features. Apologies if this had already been answered.

FBI opens domestic terror investigation into the El Paso shooting

Source: CNN

At least 20 dead in El Paso shooting
2:21
LIVE UPDATES
Deadly shooting in El Paso, Texas
By Harmeet Kaur, CNN

Updated 9:56 p.m. ET, August 3, 2019

What we're covering here
The victims: Twenty people are dead and more than two dozen are injured following a shooting at a shopping complex in El Paso, Texas, Gov. Greg Abbott said.
The suspect: The alleged shooter is 21-year-old Patrick Crusius, three sources tell CNN.
The investigation: El Paso police are working with the FBI, DEA, Sheriff's Department, federal agencies and state agencies.

26 min ago
From CNN's Josh Campbell

A source familiar with the investigative process says the FBI has opened a domestic terrorism investigation into the mass shooting in El Paso to be worked concurrent to the state investigation, with Texas authorities taking the lead.

The FBI, the source indicated, is surging resources from neighboring satellite offices in Texas and assets are on standby to assist should the state request.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/el-paso-tx-shooting-live-updates/h_e751e0ad38071a2b68a1fb7d6500ce3d

I know many people want to blame the gun first but if guns were banned, do you really think these sick, evil people who want to kill people would just not kill because they couldn't get their hands on a gun??? I highly doubt it. There are millions of guns in the country and someone who wants to do harm, will get a gun illegally (like drug addicts get drugs illegally) OR they will kill people in other ways, not involving guns. Sadly, these type of people will find a way to kill, gun or not.

I was talking to my daughter today about this latest shooting. Since the movie shooting happened (I don’t remember what year or where) she’s been nervous to go to the movies.

I told her to go, that sort of thing doesn’t happen here, and won’t. That’s not being naive, it’s something I believe very strongly.

Yes, Canada has guns, as some posters are quick to point out. BUT we have sensible guns laws. AND, we don’t have people dividing our country into ‘them’ and ‘us’. Sure, there’s racists, and bigots, and xenophobia, and all the other ‘ists’, but it’s not being spewed 24/7 on tv and Twitter.

There are reports on Twitter that another mass shooting happened in Ohio overnight. 10+ killed and more injured. Not even 12 hours later and it’s happened again.

I hope you guys figure it out one day.

I want to point this video out to everyone again. While this is mostly about school shootings, the narrative is still relevant to all shootings.

"There's just nothing we can do."

EDIT: Just a word of note and reminder to everyone, let's try to keep politics out of this conversation.

I was talking to my daughter today about this latest shooting. Since the movie shooting happened (I don’t remember what year or where) she’s been nervous to go to the movies.

I told her to go, that sort of thing doesn’t happen here, and won’t. That’s not being naive, it’s something I believe very strongly.

Yes, Canada has guns, as some posters are quick to point out. BUT we have sensible guns laws. AND, we don’t have people dividing our country into ‘them’ and ‘us’. Sure, there’s racists, and bigots, and xenophobia, and all the other ‘ists’, but it’s not being spewed 24/7 on tv and Twitter.

There are reports on Twitter that another mass shooting happened in Ohio overnight. 10+ killed and more injured. Not even 12 hours later and it’s happened again.

I hope you guys figure it out one day.

And I live in the US and would tell my child something very similar. I have never had to, because at no time were any of my children nervous about going about their daily lives.

One mass shooting is too many but we don’t live in fear. We are not nervous about going to the movies or the mall or school.

The theater shooting was in Colorado in 2012.

Until both sides can come together and have an actual conversation, stop pointing fingers and placing blame, nothing will change. The answer is not all one side or the other. It’s in the middle. It isn’t going to work to just ban guns and feel good about ourselves. That isn’t the only problem. Guns have been around for years, they are a strong part of our culture. Stronger laws, yes, perhaps, but it can’t stop there.

Deleted because I don’t want to be the reason for closing the thread.

Last edited:
How about no civilian should own that type o gun? Is that acceptable?

No. See comment below.

FWIW, I have no problem with people having personal pistols & hunting guns, but semi-automatic & automatic rifles are different. How would we feel, if someone mowed down a field of deer with a semi-automatic rifle? I think we would all agree that gun wasn't necessary to hunt for food.

You do realize that a large number of guns used for hunting and virtually all handguns are semi-automatic, right? See my next comment.

Any semi-automatic rifle, shotgun, or pistol that is able to accept detachable magazines and possess one or more other features. Apologies if this had already been answered.

A semi-automatic weapon is simply a weapon that fires ONE bullet with one pull of the trigger and does not require you to manually re-chamber each bullet. You still have to pull the trigger once for each bullet that leaves the gun, as opposed to an automatic weapon which can fire multiple bullets per trigger pull. Automatic weapons are highly controlled and something the average citizen cannot generally access. The vast majority of guns in the US are semi-automatic, including a large number of hunting and sport rifles and the majority of handguns/pistols. The term "assault weapon" has traditionally meant a weapon capable of rapid fire, as in the gun will continually spray bullets as long as your finger is on the trigger. That would be an automatic weapon, which again, is not something US citizens are generally going to have and not what was used in the shooting.

Deleted because I don’t want to be the reason for closing the thread.

I can’t help but be curious as to what you said that would have shut down the thread. (I got the alert that you quoted me lol)

Not being or being afraid isn’t political.

There was another mass shooting last night. Dayton, Ohio.

I can't help but wonder if the last two shootings were connected. Men who met online. A white boy online Al Qaeda. What if there's a whole group of them? Probably not, but I mean, they are awfully close together.

There was another mass shooting last night. Dayton, Ohio.

I can't help but wonder if the last two shootings were connected. Men who met online. A white boy online Al Qaeda. What if there's a whole group of them? Probably not, but I mean, they are awfully close together.

Could be copy-cat. I doubt they're coordinated attacks, but rather mentally ill people behaving erratically.

I can’t help but be curious as to what you said that would have shut down the thread. (I got the alert that you quoted me lol)

Not being or being afraid isn’t political.

I asked a bunch of questions that were just going to derail the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter