Active shooting situation in El Paso mall

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. See comment below.

You do realize that a large number of guns used for hunting and virtually all handguns are semi-automatic, right? See my next comment.

A semi-automatic weapon is simply a weapon that fires ONE bullet with one pull of the trigger and does not require you to manually re-chamber each bullet. You still have to pull the trigger once for each bullet that leaves the gun, as opposed to an automatic weapon which can fire multiple bullets per trigger pull. Automatic weapons are highly controlled and something the average citizen cannot generally access. The vast majority of guns in the US are semi-automatic, including a large number of hunting and sport rifles and the majority of handguns/pistols. The term "assault weapon" has traditionally meant a weapon capable of rapid fire, as in the gun will continually spray bullets as long as your finger is on the trigger. That would be an automatic weapon, which again, is not something US citizens are generally going to have and not what was used in the shooting.

Two words: Bump Stocks.

Also, why are we arguing semantics. ANY weapon capable of killing that many people in a short amount of time is not needed by the general public. It's long past time to worry about what "AR" stands for and realizing that there NEEDS to be changes made.

If Sandy Hook didn't see change happen after CHILDREN were slaughtered, then nothing will.

I believe that change will happen when there is a financial impact to the country...like other countries issue travel bans/warnings and tourists stop coming etc.

There are reports on Twitter that another mass shooting happened in Ohio overnight. 10+ killed and more injured. Not even 12 hours later and it’s happened again.

I hope you guys figure it out one day.
Me too. That makes 3 mass shootings in one week with at least two of them by young men fed on a constant social media diet of racism and xenophobia.

I honestly feel as though the way the media reports these events has something to do with this terrible American phenomenon.
Sure, some of it is the media. The 24/7 nature of our news cycle has made reporting less accurate right after a gun massacre. But that doesn’t encourage more killings. I think the murderers feel like rock stars and martyrs with their name in lights when the media mentions their name. But I don’t know how the reporting of the massacres can avoid naming names. I do know that many law enforcement agencies refuse to give them the satisfaction of hearing their names.

My condolences to all of those hurt. I was born in El Paso, and have a lot of family there. Everyone in my family, to my knowledge, is safe, but they are in shock. They have always been proud to say that El Paso is one of the safest cities in the US. Very sad day for us, and it's horrible that anyone has to go through this. :(
Please shut this thread. No good becomes of this.

If it is, there is no point in ever posting about a mass shooting because it will be clear that it can't actually be discussed here. I remember a thread not so long ago about a shooting where people posted thoughts and prayers for those involved and they of course were met with snide replies. So which is it, we discuss current news, or we only offer up our sympathies?
Only facts have been stated thus far. Shooter description, his self-published reasoning behind the attack and what type of weapon was used. No reason to shut it down.
You two have both been around long enough to know any discussion about a shooting will invariably end up locked. It wasn't hard to see the vitriol (not only against the shooter, but against both sides of this debate) in the first two pages and posters not only "discussing current news" or "only stating facts". Usually these threads go on for dozens of pages before getting shut down. I'm not sure this one will even hit double digits.
Why are you both so quick to lock the thread. These threads absolutely should not be closed and allowed to go on.
I never said the thread SHOULD be locked. I was only guessing when it WILL.

Personally, I don't think any thread should be shutdown. People should enter the CB at their own risk. Don't like what's being said? Don't read the thread.

Hey guys. Feel free to express sorrow, condolences, frustration at the inhumanity of these actions.

Do not express your political opinions, even veiled/hidden comments, as they will be deleted, and no gun debate. There are other sites where you can have open discussion on that. The DISboards do not allow this type of discussion. It's harmful to our community.

Reports from last nights shooting (currently 9 dead, 26 injured) say that the murderer shot all those people and was killed himself in less than a minute. Less than 60 seconds and 36 people are dead or injured. Thank goodness the Dayton police regularly patrol that area and were able to instantly respond or it would have been much, much worse.

I think the worst thing to do is to publicize these shootings, showing the picture of the guy walking into the Walmart with his big gun in his hand. This makes other evil/unstable people want to be "famous" like this animal. My 16 year old son said to me yesterday, that they should not even report a mass shooting. I know that would be hard to do but let's stop making these shooters famous.

Bush Denounces ‘White Terrorism’ After Shooting

Texas General Land Office Commissioner George P. Bush (R) called on all Americans to stand against “white terrorism” after a gunman who espoused white supremacist views in a manifesto killed at least 18 in El Paso, The Hill reports.
Bush, son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R), said Saturday evening that “white terrorism” was a “real and present threat that we must all denounce and defeat.”
He added: “I believe fighting terrorism remains a national priority. And that should include standing firm against white terror

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...ounces-white-terrorism-after-el-paso-shooting

Kudos to Bush for not being afraid to call it what it is.

It really is a sad state of affairs in our country when we can piggyback one mass shooting into another mass shooting thread within 24 hours. So many that each flows into the next. Not stating that regarding anybody posting about Dayton here, it is what it is, too many shootings to comprehend.

And yes, Robin, 36 people shot, dead or wounded, in less than one minute. Awful. Thankfully he was killed by the police within a minute. The Dayton mayor actually reports 30 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter