A Thanksgiving Odyssey: Bands, Buses, and Big Bad Balloons (Completed!!!)

Chapter 2: Rock This Town
(Day 2 - Tuesday)

Part 2: Uncharted Territory​

T3D2-201.jpg

Taking that first step into a new realm will evoke different responses from different folks. It can range from trepidation and fear to exhilaration. Either way there will be a bit of an adrenalin rush. For the most part, everyone in our group was looking forward to finally entering that foreign land of urban legend and film-induced myth known as New York.

With rehearsals finally out of the way for the day and all the administrative functions cleared up (for now), we climbed back onto our various coaches and jumped onto the interstates bound for Midtown. The rain had been very light and intermittent all morning and the mist and muck were finally starting to clear just a bit as well. This being the case, it was while rolling up the highway that we finally got a visual confirmation that Manhattan actually did exist.

T3D2-202.jpg

The ride in was somewhat troubled. I nearly titled this section of the TR “Road Blocks”. We quickly hit our first delay… a toll stop (not really a big deal, just an impedance to the progress, although… these are rather rare inconveniences in the Carolinas).

T3D2-203.jpg

No sooner did we get the coaches back in line then things started bogging down again. As it turned out, some unfortunate sole found that his or her subcompact had suddenly become part of the roadway’s brickwork when a considerably larger truck decided that it needed to occupy the exact same point in space. Despite Hollywood’s best CG moments, the laws of Physics still hold sway on this planet and the smaller object lost that battle.

T3D2-204.jpg

At least we weren’t on the other side of that center barrier… those folks were going to be waiting for a long while (we were just dealing with the rubber-neck effect).

Next site on our grand introduction to the Big Apple…
More toll.

T3D2-205.jpg

This one was to enter the Lincoln Tunnel.

T3D2-206.jpg

Imagine a $24 charge on a daily bases just to get yourself to and back form work (heck, I can't even justify spending five bucks on lunch during the workweek, so that wouldn’t fly… I guarantee you that I’d learn very quickly how to work with the mass transit systems).

We rolled through the center tube of the tunnel complex and emerged in the Hell’s Kitchen area heading north on Dyer, where we immediately came to another halt at the intersection of 40th.

T3D2-207.jpg

I can’t say exactly what was causing the problems here, but it took a good dozen cycles of the traffic lights and our drivers decision to go ahead and plug up the middle of the intersection for one of them before we were able to cross 40th. It did give me a chance to look around and snap a quick image or two of the kind of quirky local flavor that is unique to cities much larger then what I’m used to…

T3D2-208.jpg

T3D2-209.jpg

$350 for hitting the horn button!

I guess it’s the untold scores of movies representing life in New York that had me thinking that the din of an auto-horn symphony was a constant feature of life in this borough.

Our caravan continued on into midtown and finally got to where they could drop us all off in the heart of Rockefeller Center; the first stop on this grand adventure. As our group hit the pavement we were welcomed by a great holiday fanfare!

T3D2-210.jpg

Ain’t buyin’ it are ya’.

Well, you’re right. No one even flinched.

Buses and coaches drop hordes of people onto the streets constantly; we were just an annoyance to the locals trying to make their way between 5th and 6th Avenues that day.

Once on the ground, all were gathered in the plaza at the foot of the main tower (the 70 floor GE Building more commonly known as: “30 Rock”) and waited for our marching orders.

T3D2-211.jpg

The word was passed that we had about an hour and a bit to grab some lunch or whatever before we needed to meet back at this spot for our first group-touring event of the trip. As for the time being…

we were on our own.

Being as we’d had a fairly large breakfast, and dinner was scheduled for around four-ish today, the immediate decision was to forego lunch on this day and use this little bit of free time to just walk around the plaza. First stop… the world famous ice rink…

T3D2-212.jpg

Having arrived during the week of Thanksgiving, but prior to the actual day… we got a fine glimpse of the famous 30-Rock Christmas tree… serving its sentence behind bars. Crews were still finishing up the installation, and the scaffolding obscured pretty much everything, including Paul Manship's well-known bronze of Prometheus recumbent. Here’s a better image taken by a considerably better photographer of how it ought to look (less the big ol’ tree of course)

T3D2-213.jpg

Interestingly, although this is one of the most recognizable sculptures in the US, the artist himself wasn’t all that fond of the piece. Public art can be found throughout the entire “Rock Center” complex (which adds much charm and magic if you ask me), but surprisingly, this marks a turning point in the history of architectural sculpture, as it is among the last major building projects in the United States to purposely incorporate a program of integrated public art. Too bad… but there is no shortage of said public art throughout the plaza.

T3D2-214.jpg

(Try to ignore the gruesome fella there ruining an otherwise fine view of another Manship work [this one titled “Maiden”] and the entombed tannenbaum of course). Hummmm… I wonder if that last image will get me banned from the boards? Oh well… from here we headed toward 5th Ave just to see what we could see. What we could see (smack across the street) was St Patrick’s Cathedral…

T3D2-215.jpg

I would really like to have had the time to stroll over there and poke around a bit… but as it would turn out, side trips were going to be difficult to add in this entire week. When you have such a large group you have to pick and choose your activities and hold to a fairly tight schedule. But then again… I now just have more reasons to travel back here in the future.

Since we were actually in the city it occurred to us that we probably ought to document the fact, so my SIL snapped this little photo of my lovely bride and the questionable ogre that she foolishly married.

T3D2-216.jpg

That counts as proof that we were actually there and I didn’t make up the entire expedition. Oh… and here’s a close up of that plaque just in case you were dying to know just what it said…

T3D2-217.jpg

And just for good measure… another shot of the tower from a Fifth Avenue prospective.

T3D2-218.jpg

From this point it was decided to make our way back toward the center and just rummage around the shops. After a bit of this random knocking about, the concept of thirst was beginning to make itself known. The group began to see the notion of coffee as a justifiable solution to that problem and a potential curb on the appetite as well (given the savory nature of the brew). While waiting for an elevator to the lower concourse, we ran across another group of adults from our expedition and learned that they’d, only just arrived on site. Thus we learned about the Saga of Bus-5. It turns out that Tail-End-Charlie got into a bit of a fender-bender. Not our driver’s fault, but it still took the NYPD to straighten everything out and write up the reports (and apparently some serious meds to calm down the driver that had their beloved BMW redecorated by imprinting the image of a bus bumper into its panels). I’m glad I wasn’t on that coach. Our ride in was plenty long enough without having to deal with an irate local in a center of a midtown Manhattan intersection.

After finding a pretty good cup of coffee, we noticed that the clocks on the walls we’re beginning to sound warning alarms. Time to head back up and meet the rest of the folks for the first signature event of the day. Back up at street level the kids and adults alike were starting to gather in the plaza at the foot of the caged Christmas tree. There are flagpoles surrounding the skating rink there and depending on the day you may encounter any number of banners. On this day, they were brandishing the flags of the various states and territories in the union. I found it quite auspicious that the flag holding down the corner where we were instructed to meet was a rather recognizable banner form our point of view…

T3D2-219.jpg

While we were gathering, one of the other parents caught this moment where a group or our young’ens (including Max there on the far left) were striking a pose with one of New York’s finest…

T3D2-220.jpg

A great moment, and I appreciate that they shared that picture with us. This image also bears mute testament to the fact that he’d pretty much spent all his extra walking cash for the week. Weeks before the trip, nearly all the guys in the band were discussing the one Mecca in NY that they unanimously wanted to hit right off: The fabled Nintendo Store at Rockefeller Center. Obviously… they had accomplished their mission (don’t worry, he still had money for food and snacks, this was just the bucks he pulled out of savings specifically for souvenirs and what-nots).

Well now that everyone was all gathered together and we’d taken a proper head count…
it was time to for our next sojourn.

T3D2-221.jpg

A bit of sightseeing that would include a fairly significant vertical component…

T3-006.jpg

After reading your dissertation, I came to the conclusion that you spent too much time on an omnibus, tram, trolley or other such mode of transportation on this trip. And you left one out. It is called the Duck. A touristy thing to do in Miami.

splash.jpg

It may be the most economical thing to haul all the vehicles on the carrier, which is why it absolutely shocks me that they did it. Since when does the US government ever do things the most economical way? :confused3 :lmao:

This being the case, it was while rolling up the highway that we finally got a visual confirmation that Manhattan actually did exist.
I guess you really weren't just making this whole thing up.

Despite Hollywood’s best CG moments, the laws of Physics still hold sway on this planet and the smaller object lost that battle.
Are you telling me that car chases in movies aren't feasible based on physics???? That's blasphemy!

Imagine a $24 charge on a daily basses just to get yourself to and back form work (heck, I can even justify spending five bucks on lunch during the workweek… that just wouldn’t fly… I guarantee you that I’d learn very quickly to work with the mass transit system).
:scared1::scared1::scared1:

I think I'd turn around... Yep, I've seen the skyline. Good enough. :lmao:

Being as we’d had a fairly large breakfast, and dinner was scheduled for around four-ish today, the immediate decision was to forego lunch on this day and use this little bit of free time to just walk around the plaza. First stop… the world famous ice rink…
Good idea. You definitely need to take advantage of a little bit of time to explore.:thumbsup2

Hummmm… I wonder if that last image will get me banned from the boards?
Where's a mod when you need one. :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:

Since we were actually in the city it occurred to us that we probably ought to document the fact, so my SIL snapped this little photo of my lovely bride and the questionable ogre that she foolishly married.
Yet more photographic confirmation that the trip actually did happen.

Thus we learned about the Saga of Bus-5. It turns out that Tail-End-Charlie got into a bit of a fender-bender.
Welcome to New York! :thumbsup2

A great moment, and I appreciate that they shared that picture with us. This image also bears mute testament to the fact that he’d pretty much spent all his extra walking cash for the week.
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: That's the first thing I noticed in that picture. I saw the big bag with Mario on it and thought he must have laid down some serious cash. That bag's big enough to hold about 20 games or so. :lmao:

After reading your dissertation, I came to the conclusion that you spent too much time on an omnibus, tram, trolley or other such mode of transportation on this trip. And you left one out. It is called the Duck. A touristy thing to do in Miami.

splash.jpg

I see that they’re purpose building new versions of these vehicles now.
Supposedly, the idea originating in Boston when some one thought to buy a surplus DUKW from the us military…

id_dukw_landing_full_2.jpg

Paint it yellow and start offering amphibious tours of the city. I saw them all over DC on our last Non-Dis vacation.

dc-duck-tours-1.jpg

washington-dc-tours-ducks.jpg

But since it’s basically a day tour vehicle with open sides…
It just another version of a Charabanc.
:lmao:

It may be the most economical thing to haul all the vehicles on the carrier, which is why it absolutely shocks me that they did it. Since when does the US government ever do things the most economical way? :confused3 :lmao:

Uncharacteristically thrifty to be sure

You asked me to tie busses to aircraft carriers…
I found a way to tie busses to aircraft carriers.

I guess you really weren't just making this whole thing up.

So far as you know

Are you telling me that car chases in movies aren't feasible based on physics???? That's blasphemy!

The truth can be a harsh mistress.

I think I'd turn around... Yep, I've seen the skyline. Good enough. :lmao:

Naaaa… we were already committed by this time (committed to what… that can be questioned, but we were committed).

Good idea. You definitely need to take advantage of a little bit of time to explore.:thumbsup2

::yes::

Where's a mod when you need one. :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:

It’s not like I did that on purpose…
:rolleyes1

Yet more photographic confirmation that the trip actually did happen.

So far as you know…
**cough**photoshop**cough**

Welcome to New York! :thumbsup2

And a rude one at that.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: That's the first thing I noticed in that picture. I saw the big bag with Mario on it and thought he must have laid down some serious cash. That bag's big enough to hold about 20 games or so. :lmao:

Excellent marketing on Nintendo’s part. He bought one game and a book. They only had a couple sizes of bag, so they tossed that into the biggest one thay had (instant walking billboard). It’s also interesting that it’s the guys who are carrying the bags-o-merchandise… goes against conventional wisdom.

And in South Carolina there are several passenger ferries that provide the only viable access to Fort Sumter in the middle of Charleston Harbor.

Researching...:rolleyes1

We quickly hit out first delay… a toll stop (not really a big deal, just an impedance to the progress, although… these are rather rare inconveniences in the Carolinas).

I think state law in NJ requires a tool booth roughly every 1/4 mile.

Imagine a $24 charge on a daily basses just to get yourself to and back form work (heck, I can even justify spending five bucks on lunch during the workweek… that just wouldn’t fly… I guarantee you that I’d learn very quickly to work with the mass transit system).

NY and DC are the 2 cities that I just won't drive into, unless there's no other choice.

I can’t say exactly what was causing the problems here,

I'll give you a hint: you were in NYC. :sad2:

Not quite as festive with all that scaffolding, is it? I imagine this is what your tree usually looks like as well as you put it together, right? :confused3

Public art can be found throughout the entire “Rock Center” complex (which adds much charm and magic if you ask me), but surprisingly, this marks a turning point in the history of architectural sculpture, as it is among the last major building projects in the United States to purposely incorporate a program of integrated public art. Too bad… but there is no shortage of said public art through out the plaza.

I agree. Good art makes a place unique, and bad art means we can make all sorts of jokes in our TR's.

She doesn't appear to have any regrets. :goodvibes

Thus we learned about the Saga of Bus-5. It turns out that Tail-End-Charlie got into a bit of a fender-bender. Not our driver’s fault, but it still took the NYPD to straighten everything out and write up the reports (and apparently some serious meds to calm down the driver that had their beloved BMW redecorated by imprinting the image of a bus bumper into its panels).

:eek:
The bus usually wins those collisions.

While we were gathering, one of the other parents caught this moment where a group or our young’ens (including Max there on the far left) were striking a pose with one of New York’s finest…

Great, candid shot. They all look like they're having fun.

The fabled Nintendo Store at Rockefeller Center. Obviously… they had accomplished their mission (don’t worry, he still had money for food and snacks, this was just the bucks he pulled out of savings specifically for souvenirs and whatnots).

Surely they offered student discounts in NYC.

Looking forward to Top of the Rock!

Researching...:rolleyes1

One leaves form the city marina; south side of the peninsula on the Ashley River nearer to the Citadel, the other leaves from Patriots Point.

I think state law in NJ requires a tool booth roughly every 1/4 mile.

Now it all makes sense.

NY and DC are the 2 cities that I just won't drive into, unless there's no other choice.

I done seen it… an’ I’z got’s to agree.

I'll give you a hint: you were in NYC. :sad2:

Again… it’s all starting to become clear

Not quite as festive with all that scaffolding, is it? I imagine this is what your tree usually looks like as well as you put it together, right? :confused3

Sure… you have to keep them wild trees caged up or they can do lot of damage.

I agree. Good art makes a place unique, and bad art means we can make all sorts of jokes in our TR's.

Jokes in TRs… now why didn’t I think of that.

Most of what was here would be considered Art Decco in style.
I looked high and low for something more modern, but alas...
there were no gigantic chrome platted kidney beans to be found.

She doesn't appear to have any regrets. :goodvibes

No she doesn’t... does she?

I may need to get her examined… I’m a might concerned that she might just be nuts.

The bus usually wins those collisions.

It did. :sad2:

Great, candid shot. They all look like they're having fun.

Yah it was. I'm glad to have that one. It’s all we can do to get Max to smile so you have to be very quick and prepared to catch him in the moments when he doesn’t think he’s being watched.

Surely they offered student discounts in NYC.

Shirley wasn’t working that day or he might have gotten a better deal.

I’m certain that the folks in Charlotte would have cut him some slac… ummmmm… never mind.

The same would be true if you were either carrying you own “Bailey Bridge” (which is unlikely)
Quite a bit of nostalgia that little sentance brought up. I would spend hours as a youth playing with my GI Joe Bridgelayer.

bridgelayer_iso-580x334.jpg

You would think all that experience would have sent me down the path to be a DOT engineer. Thank goodness that didn't happen. :rotfl2:

or just happened to be on an amphibious bus.
More nostalgia in the same sentence! I love taking the Duck tours in Wisconsin Dells.

wisconsin-dells-overview-dells-duck-entering-full.jpg

I see you're already familiar with these WWII beauties from your reply to CJ, so I won't go into it here. Except to say that during one of our tours on the ducks, we were carefully navigating a steep wooded area on the banks of the Wisconsin River and Lake Delton. As we traversed a steep drop-off, our tour guide invited is to noticed the thin wire fence just off the path, were the drop off began. He said that we should not take comfort that the fence would prevent our fall. It was made of chicken wire and we were, after all, riding in a duck.

So what exactly is a ferry?

258px-Tinker_Bell_%28Disney_Fairies%29.jpg

Well… it’s a bus.
Oh, that kind of ferry. I thought we were talking about something else...

…with “Elizabeth" once carrying a record number of 15,028 troops in one single trip.
Must have been hard to get spa reservations on that cruise.

(You probably should have mentioned that this picture is the USS John C. Stennis, not the Reagan. People might get confused.)

We quickly hit out first delay… a toll stop (not really a big deal, just an impedance to the progress, although… these are rather rare inconveniences in the Carolinas).
We don't have them here in Wisconsin, but if we want to go "south of the border" to Illinois, they are mostly unavoidable. I quickly invested in one of their electronic tolling devices, which not only lets you zip through the toll plaza at 65mph, but only costs half of the cash fee!

Interestingly, although this is one of the most recognizable sculptures in the US, the artist himself wasn’t all that fond of the piece. Public art can be found throughout the entire “Rock Center” complex (which adds much charm and magic if you ask me), but surprisingly, this marks a turning point in the history of architectural sculpture, as it is among the last major building projects in the United States to purposely incorporate a program of integrated public art. Too bad… but there is no shortage of said public art through out the plaza.
I'll be the first to admit - I don't "get" a lot of art. Statues of people (real or mythological) are neat to look at, but large pieces of twisted steel doesn't evoke very strong emotions from me. That being said, I'd much rather see installations of public art that I don't understand than just building after building after building.

I found it quite auspicious that the flag holding down the corner where we were instructed to meet was a rather recognizable banner form our point of view…

Hmmm...a little advance scouting by the planning team or sheer dumb luck?

The fabled Nintendo Store at Rockefeller Center. Obviously… they had accomplished their mission (don’t worry, he still had money for food and snacks, this was just the bucks he pulled out of savings specifically for souvenirs and whatnots).
Well....what'd he get?

Quite a bit of nostalgia that little sentance brought up. I would spend hours as a youth playing with my GI Joe Bridgelayer.

bridgelayer_iso-580x334.jpg

Cool! I’m glad someone picked up on that one and ran with it.

You would think all that experience would have sent me down the path to be a DOT engineer. Thank goodness that didn't happen. :rotfl2:

Barry lobs one from the backcourt and Mark set up for the return strick… how do you suppose he will play this one sports fans?

More nostalgia in the same sentence! I love taking the Duck tours in Wisconsin Dells.

wisconsin-dells-overview-dells-duck-entering-full.jpg

I see you're already familiar with these WWII beauties from your reply to CJ, so I won't go into it here. Except to say that during one of our tours on the ducks, we were carefully navigating a steep wooded area on the banks of the Wisconsin River and Lake Delton. As we traversed a steep drop-off, our tour guide invited is to noticed the thin wire fence just off the path, were the drop off began. He said that we should not take comfort that the fence would prevent our fall. It was made of chicken wire and we were, after all, riding in a duck.

You gotta love a joke that takes that long to set up only to fizzle that horribly.

Oh… and I’m sure that you’ve figured that I’m familiar with a lot of different types of military vehicles, but feel free to embellish and expound…

I figured I’d abused the rest of y’all enough, but be my guest.

Wrong Spelling…

Oh, that kind of ferry. I thought we were talking about something else...

Ding, ding, ding…

Must have been hard to get spa reservations on that cruise.

I suspect that the sommelier was somewhat frazzled as well.

(You probably should have mentioned that this picture is the USS John C. Stennis, not the Reagan. People might get confused.)

Caught that did you? Well… you are correct sir.
I just like the juxtaposition of the two types of craft in the image.

That is the Stennis in the background. I suspect that the she was headed toward Bremerton at the time.

The small ferry in the foreground is the MV Steilacoom II which is part of the Pierce County (Washington) ferry system. It currently services the Anderson Island - Ketron Island – Steilacoom route. But the image was more likely taken while it was being leased by the Washington State Ferry system to run between Port Townsend and Keyston.

(I have an Aunt and Uncle who are both retired from the WA State Ferry system and live on the Olympic peninsula… which helps explain my interest in such things)

We don't have them here in Wisconsin, but if we want to go "south of the border" to Illinois, they are mostly unavoidable. I quickly invested in one of their electronic tolling devices, which not only lets you zip through the toll plaza at 65mph, but only costs half of the cash fee!

Good plan… or you could avoid Illinois.

I'll be the first to admit - I don't "get" a lot of art. Statues of people (real or mythological) are neat to look at, but large pieces of twisted steel doesn't evoke very strong emotions from me. That being said, I'd much rather see installations of public art that I don't understand than just building after building after building.

Modern art tends to leave me looking for something else to look at. But I also agree that any art is better then any trash pile (unless the trash pile is in the middle of a swanky art gallery… then I guess it is art… Right?)

Hmmm...a little advance scouting by the planning team or sheer dumb luck?

Dumb luck… Hay now!

Well....what'd he get?

One game and a book dealing with some of the more secret secrets hidden in said game (part of the Zelda series I believe, but don’t hold my feet to the fire on that one).

You gotta love a joke that takes that long to set up only to fizzle that horribly.
Now that I think about it, it may have been "if it can stop a chicken, it can stop a duck." Either way, it was pure punny goodness. :thumbsup2

Oh… and I’m sure that you’ve figured that I’m familiar with a lot of different types of military vehicles, but feel free to embellish and expound…
Sure, let me tell you everything I know about them:
They make really cool tour vehicles in tourist destinations.

I suspect that the sommelier was somewhat frazzled as well.
We have a wonderful 1929 Bordeaux that will go well with your MRE.

Got any whiskey?
But of course, sir.

I just like the juxtaposition of the two types of craft in the image.
So do I. I was just giving you a hard time. :thumbsup2

Good plan… or you could avoid Illinois.
You're the amateur cartographer. Find me a route from Racine to Orlando that avoids Illinois and doesn't add 10 hours to my trip. (Or $400 in Ferry fees)

Modern art tends to leave me looking for something else to look at. But I also agree that any art is better then any trash pile (unless the trash pile is in the middle of a swanky art gallery… then I guess it is art… Right?)
I read an article a few months ago about a janitor in an art museum that started cleaning a pile of trash that turned out to be an installation. :rotfl2:

You're the amateur cartographer. Find me a route from Racine to Orlando that avoids Illinois and doesn't add 10 hours to my trip. (Or $400 in Ferry fees)

Details, details…
Are you tellin’ me that the infamous Minivan of Doom isn’t amphibious!

I’m shocked… SHOCKED I tell you.

OK… I can’t add ten hours… I’ll buy that one, but the ferry ride seems like a great addition to the trip if you ask me (until you get to the $400 dollar bit of the equation).

Oh! I got it! Got to DL instead. Sure it’s at least one third farther away from Racine, but you’d be able to completely avoid Illinois.

Exactly. You would have found out that we don't get to use any equipment that's anywhere near as fun as the stuff GI Joe gets to use.

Details, details…
Are you tellin’ me that the infamous Minivan of Doom isn’t amphibious!
I can't comment on that. It's classified information.

OK… I can’t add ten hours… I’ll buy that one, but the ferry ride seems like a great addition to the trip if you ask me (until you get to the $400 dollar bit of the equation).
While the ride may be fun, it's certainly not practical. It's an extra half hour north, then 2 1/2 hours across the lake, just to make the rest of the drive...15 minutes longer that if I had just driven from home. :headache:
Oh! I got it! Got to DL instead. Sure it’s at least one third farther away from Racine, but you’d be able to completely avoid Illinois.
Now there's an idea!

Exactly. You would have found out that we don't get to use any equipment that's anywhere near as fun as the stuff GI Joe gets to use.
You mean you guys don't have fighter jets that fly in space?

While the ride may be fun, it's certainly not practical. It's an extra half hour north, then 2 1/2 hours across the lake, just to make the rest of the drive...15 minutes longer that if I had just driven from home. :headache:

Now, if I read that right…
it’s no wonder you don’t wan to drive through Illinois.

Now there's an idea!

:thumbsup2

You mean you guys don't have fighter jets that fly in space?

I’m pretty sure they don’t even have atomic jackhammers

Bonus Feature 4:

Pointless Pictures

I left off a pretty good picture from Rockefeller Plaza. This is the statue of Atlas that faces fifth Ave. You don’t need to see it… But I like it so there you go.

T3P1-001.jpg

Now, I have a tendency to take pictures that the rest of my family consider to be somewhat…

Odd.

They tell a store, but in their own way and generally only from the point of view of my eye (as it saw that particular thing at the time). Since these wont do much good in advancing the actual story line of the this TR in general…

I’ve decided to toss a few of them out here as “previews for things to come (for that purpose, they may just work pretty well). So, with that goal in mind.. I now present a “preview” of things to come in Chapter 3 and in the morning of Chapter 5 (we were rather busy on something else during Chapter 4)

T3P1-11.jpg

T3P1-12.jpg

T3P1-13.jpg

T3P1-14.jpg

I'll be back in a minute....​

Bonus Feature 5:

Tease!

And here’s a few more that offer up a preview form the bulk of Chapter 5. I pretty sure that some of y’all will recognize some of this stuff and get a pretty good idea of exactly where we’ll be heading in the near.

T3P1-21.jpg

T3P1-22.jpg

T3P1-23.jpg

T3P1-24.jpg

T3P1-25.jpg

Chapter 2: Rock This Town
(Day 2 - Tuesday)

Part 3: From On High​

T3D2-301.jpg

I believe that I’ve mentioned in a previous TR, that I don’t much like “unprotected” heights. Climbing up on my roof is rather unnerving, so I generally won’t do it. But being strapped into a harness and dangling over the ocean from a parachute… that was fun. What’s the difference? It’s that “unprotected” part of it. If there’s really nothing there that will keep a bad step from allowing you to reconfirm the constant rate of acceleration due to gravity, then I’m going to by bypassing the experiment. If I have a fighting chance… I’m in. It’s not a matter of fighting off vertigo; it’s just a simple survival mechanism. This is why I was really looking forward to our next stop (more so then some).

The journey commences form the sidewalks along Rockefeller plaza, barely a few meters above sea level.

T3D2-302.jpg

With the whole contingent lined up by bus (mostly so we could get good headcounts of the kids, and let them go on up first) we made our way toward the 50th Street entrance of the GE Building to start the assent to the “Top of the Rock”.

T3D2-303.jpg

Once inside, there is still a good bit of back and forth along corridors and up a couple of stairways. There are only so many elevators and the upper floors also only hold so many folks, so they have to spread everyone out. As you’re waiting you get a nice view of the street below and of Radio City Music Hall.

T3D2-304.jpg

Someone else got a better shot of the front of this same building later on in the trip (so you get to see it here).

T3D2-305.jpg

There’s a TSA style security station to get through (less the shoe check) then you can roam through a number of exhibits that look into the history and construction of the Rock Center complex. One of the cooler exhibits in this section is the “Beam Walk”

T3D2-306.jpg

Here is an image form their website that illustrates what this looks like a little bit more clearly.

T3D2-307.jpg

There is actually an I-Beam set into the floor with acrylic panels on either side. How deep the pit beneath it is I can’t say exactly, but there is some depth to it and there is a projected image of the rest of the buildings steel skeleton disappearing off into the distance beneath you.

T3D2-308.jpg

Trying to walk across and actually staying on the beam is a little interesting (even though you know there’s no way to fall through, it still plays with your eyes a might). On the other side of this you’ll be ushered into a small theater where they’re playing a ten-ish minute film loop about the designing of the complex, the artwork throughout and what sites you’ll encounter as you continue through the tour. As themeing goes, it’s all on par with anything in the World Showcase.

After about once through the film loop, our row was lead from the theater and to a bank of express elevators. There’s an attendant who counts out the passengers and stages you in front on one of these innocent looking sets of sliding doors (just like being in the basement of the ToT waiting for the next service lift).

Doors open…
in you go…
everything looks normal…
doors close…
lights go out!…

techno sound track starts up…
ceiling goes transparent...

and you quickly start to rise sixty odd stories with a view of the shaft lined in blue lights

T3D2-309.jpg

It’s actually kind’a cool. I had a chance to ride an elevator to the top of the Empire State Building once about twenty years ago… this one was considerably faster (there were about fifteen fewer floors to traverse, but it was still a lot quicker). You get dropped off on the 67th floor. There are more exhibits and a few shops here. Just walk on around the floor and take the escalator up one more story and you’ve reach the observation deck…

T3D2-310.jpg

They completed a renovation of this entire area in 2005

T3D2-312.jpg

“Shut up already and show us the view dag-nab-it!!!

Oh… all right. I’ve kept you waiting kept you waiting long enough…

Voilà

T3D2-313.jpg

That’s Central Park stretching off toward the north, with the Hudson at the top left and the Bronx way off behind the fog and mist at the top of the image. Looking down over the east side ledge, St Patrick’s is now small enough to hide behind your thumb.

T3D2-314.jpg

I’ll shift the angle just a might and give you a better view of Midtown-East, the East River and Queens.

T3D2-315.jpg

Looking southeast… we get a better view of the East River (which is actually an inlet) Lower Manhattan, the Williamsburg Bridge and Brooklyn. Oh yah… there’s this other rather tall building there on the right as well.

T3D2-316.jpg

The next one is looking southwest toward the Upper Bay. That’s Ellis Island in the middle and Liberty Island just beyond.

T3D2-319.jpg

Since I made my way around most of the compass points, we might as well take a gander back to the west toward the Hudson River and Jersey.

T3D2-320.jpg

Being as we did com all this way just to see what we could see, I suspect that we should probably get a picture to prove it…

T3D2-317.jpg

And one of the sisters

T3D2-318.jpg

And of course the family shot that I’d already tossed out back on the first page…

NY00-003.jpg

Max’s group just happened to be at the top at the same time as we were. Generally, we try not to interfere with him when he’s around his friends, but this was not an opportunity that we’d be getting again anytime in the near.

The view from on high was spectacular and the pictures really don’t do it any justice. Were it a clearer day, we’d have been able to see considerably farther in the distance, but as it was we’d been relatively lucky to have avoided getting rained on all day. That was just about to come to an end though… at least I did get a few good pictures before the clouds finally opened up for the rest of the day.

T3D2-321.jpg

OK, just one more (slightly artsy-fartsy) image of the park framed by some of the buildings trim work…

T3D2-322.jpg

I like that one, but it would have been a whole lot better without all the mist and muck in the air. OK… I’ll leave y’all alone now, besides… it’s really starting to poor down. I think we need to come up with a new plan. The walk around the viewing deck here is getting a might slick. No sense in tempting fate here…

T3-007.jpg

I believe that I’ve mentioned in a previous TR, that I don’t much like “unprotected” heights.
::yes:: When do we get to the original content in this update?

The journey commences form the sidewalks along Rockefeller plaza, barely a few meters above sea level.
Ok, there it is. That didn't take too long. :lmao:

With the whole contingent lined up by bus (mostly so we could get good headcounts of the kids, and let them go on up first) we made our way toward the 50th Street entrance of the GE Building to start the assent to the “Top of the Rock”.
I take it that you didn't lose any yet? :confused3

As you’re waiting you get a nice view of the street below and of Radio City Music Hall.
Nice view. Another NYC landmark I'd like to see sometime.

One of the cooler exhibits in this section is the “Beam Walk”
How did you feel about this one?

On the other side of this you’ll be ushered into a small theater where they’re playing a ten-ish minute film loop about the designing of the complex, the artwork throughout and what sites you’ll encounter as you continue through the tour. As themeing goes, it’s all on par with anything in the World Showcase.
Hmmm... you leave an attraction and enter a theater... on par with World Showcase.

Sounds like Norway! :lmao::rotfl2:

There’s an attendant who counts out the passengers and stages you in front on one of these innocent looking sets of sliding doors (just like being in the basement of the ToT waiting for the next service lift).
Are they wearing creepy looking bell hop uniforms?

Doors open… in you go… everything looks normal… doors close… light go out… techno sound track starts up… ceiling goes transparent and you quickly start to rise sixty odd stories with a view of the shaft lined in blue lights
Mark would never go on it. How many times did it drop and shoot back up? :confused3

Oh... and techno sound track???? :confused3

this one was considerably faster
It's that TOT technology at work.:lmao:

Great pictures, both of the view and the family. Having never been to NYC myself, seeing Central Park from that vantage point kind of caught me a bit by surprise. I guess I never realized how big the park is. I didn't realize there was that much of NYC that wasn't covered by concrete or asphalt. :rotfl2:

I believe that I’ve mentioned in a previous TR, that I don’t much like “unprotected” heights. Climbing up on my roof is rather unnerving, so I generally won’t do it. But being strapped into a harness and dangling over the ocean from a parachute… that was fun. What’s the difference? It’s that “unprotected” part of it. If there’s really nothing there that will keep a bad step from allowing you to reconfirm the constant rate of acceleration due to gravity, then I’m going to by bypassing the experiment.
It's not the fall that concerns me - it's the sudden stop at the end.
or
Don't worry, I'm OK. The ground broke my fall.​

Hey now, we're still in America. Don't be using that fancy-pants "metric system" Now, how high were you to those of us that still believe in American values? (And by "values" I mean thumbing our noses at a superior measuring system used by the rest of the world and using our antiquated, hard to understand system because we just don't feel like changing.)

There’s a TSA style security station to get through (less the shoe check) then you can roam through a number of exhibits that look into the history and construction of the Rock Center complex.
Oooo...bombarded with radiation and then sent to the top of a tall building. This can't end well.

Trying to walk across and actually staying on the beam is a little interesting (even though you know there’s no way to fall through, it still plays with you eyes a might).

Similar to the SkyDeck at Willis Tower (Formerly "Sears Tower", currently "Big Willy") in Chicago. Only here, there is a way to fall through - however remote it is.

IMG_2152.JPG

IMG_2161.JPG

Doors open… in you go… everything looks normal… doors close… light go out… techno sound track starts up… ceiling goes transparent and you quickly start to rise sixty odd stories with a view of the shaft lined in blue lights
THAT is cool! Sort of like how the Haunted Mansion's stretching room ceiling disappears, but without the hanging corpse.

Looking down over the east side ledge, St Patrick’s is now small enough to hide behind your thumb.
I tried this on the photograph, and it worked. Independent Verification!

Max’s group just happened to be at the top at the same time as we were. Generally, we try not to interfere with him when he’s around his friends, but this was not an opportunity that we’d be getting again anytime in the near.
That's certainly one approach, but I see myself as being the type of parent that constantly hangs out with his children and their friends, for no other reason to embarrass the living daylights out of them. They can have their payback when they pick my nursing home.

Awesome pictures, Rob!

I believe that I’ve mentioned in a previous TR, that I don’t much like “unprotected” heights. Climbing up on my roof is rather unnerving, so I generally won’t do it. But being strapped into a harness and dangling over the ocean from a parachute… that was fun. What’s the difference? It’s that “unprotected” part of it. If there’s really nothing there that will keep a bad step from allowing you to reconfirm the constant rate of acceleration due to gravity, then I’m going to by bypassing the experiment. If I have a fighting chance… I’m in. It’s not a matter of fighting off vertigo; it’s just a simple survival mechanism. This is why I was really looking forward to our next stop (more so then some).

Why do I see ToT jokes in my future for some reason? :confused3

I'm actually ok with heights, and even have been ok in "unprotected" situations. It's the actual sensation of falling that I can't stand.

Once inside, there is still a good bit of back and forth along corridors and up a couple of stairways. There are only so many elevators and the upper floors also only hold so many folks, so they have to spread everyone out. As you’re waiting you get a nice view of the street below and of Radio City Music Hall.

Sounds like they need some interactive games along the queue.

One of the cooler exhibits in this section is the “Beam Walk”

That does look cool!

There is actually an I-Beam set into the floor with acrylic panels on either side. How deep the pit beneath it is I can’t say exactly, but there is some depth to it and there is a projected image of the rest of the buildings steel skeleton disappearing off into the distance beneath you.

The Pit of Despair...

On the other side of this you’ll be ushered into a small theater where they’re playing a ten-ish minute film loop about the designing of the complex, the artwork throughout and what sites you’ll encounter as you continue through the tour. As themeing goes, it’s all on par with anything in the World Showcase.

So was the film made in 1974? Does it show lots of people with mullets?

There’s an attendant who counts out the passengers and stages you in front on one of these innocent looking sets of sliding doors (just like being in the basement of the ToT waiting for the next service lift).

You had to go there. :sad2:

I don't mind going UP fairly quickly.

Very nice!

The next one is looking southwest toward the Upper Bay. That’s Ellis Island in the middle and Liberty Island just beyond.

And the other building on the dock in front of Ellis Island is the departure point for the ferry to Ellis and Liberty Islands from Liberty State Park in NJ. (Sorry, that trip is still fresh in my mind)

And of course the family shot that I’d already tossed out back on the first page…

NY00-003.jpg

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Were it a clearer day, we’d have been able to see considerably farther in the distance, but as it was we’d been relatively lucky to have avoided getting rained on all day. That was just about to come to an end though… at least I did get a few good pictures before the clouds finally opened up for the rest of the day.

Even with the bad weather, I think I need to get my family up there someday. We really haven't done much in NYC as yet.

Hey now, we're still in America. Don't be using that fancy-pants "metric system" Now, how high were you to those of us that still believe in American values? (And by "values" I mean thumbing our noses at a superior measuring system used by the rest of the world and using our antiquated, hard to understand system because we just don't feel like changing.)

Delaware had a law on the books that we had to change to the metric system by a certain date. So, being the pro-active department that we are, we made a huge effort to change all of our policies, standards, design plans, even road signs over to metric. It was a herculean effort, but we pulled it off. Then the politicians decided they didn't like it and drafted a law sending us back to the old system. :sad2:

delaware had a law on the books that we had to change to the metric system by a certain date. So, being the pro-active department that we are, we made a huge effort to change all of our policies, standards, design plans, even road signs over to metric. It was a herculean effort, but we pulled it off. Then the politicians decided they didn't like it and drafted a law sending us back to the old system. :sad2:

usa! usa! usa!

EDIT: Clearly, the DIS forbids typing "U" "S" and "A" in all caps right in a row. Yikes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter