A Salute To All Things Disney, But Mostly Food - A Feb 15 Dining Report - That's a Wrap 7/18

Oh my gosh!! You missed your flight standing on a 3 hour line to check in? What a crazy nightmare airport experience! Seriously, it sounds like something I would have a nightmare about. That must have been unbelievably stressful and frustrating. I hope you got every cent back.
Moving Casey's birthday is hilarious. That is so so funny and you pulled it off! What a fun birthday surprise. And definitely way better than IHOP! I'm glad you got to enjoy a great dinner at WL after your stressful travel day.

Newbie here, but I don't miss a good food report! I'm very excited to hear good things about WCC. We're staying at WL in October for our first ever on-site stay, and I was hoping that we could get a decent meal at the resort if our son gets too tired.

I'm reading along. More magic band drama? I keep reading about it! We are about to make our first WDW trip since the Magic Bands. I'm more than a little nervous. I don't do well with big drama on my Disney trips!

This was our fourth trip with bands and the only time we've had an issue. Unfortunately we had about 5 of them. I really do think we were an anomaly so don't sweat it. And if something happens just roll with it and send not so nice emails to Disney later. That's what I did ; )

There's nothing better than a child's reaction to a surprise trip to Disney World! I've become a master at it but it's getting harder as they get older and see me putting their clothes in a suitcase.

You've just described one of my traveling nightmares. Love your lesson learned but I'm not letting this ruin our trip attitude.

Glad you had a good lunch at WCC. Both yours and Jason's entrees were two I considered last time we ate there and it looks like I should have chosen one of them.

Happy belated Birthday to Casey!
Oh surprise yoga you will have to teach young sky walker a few things. My ihop surprise was very last minute and born only from Casey asking to go the day prior. Could use some serious help in the future

I had zero expectations of WCC so it was a nice, and cheap, surprise.

Yeaaaaah. No WAY will I ever fly Frontier. It's incredibly tempting as the prices are so low but I've only heard nightmares. If I had to wait three hours with my girls, there would have been a mutiny, for sure. So happy you all finally made it out.
We'd flown them one time before with no issues, but never again. Thank God for iPads or Casey would have revolted for sure.

Great start! Casey is too cute!
Thanks. She's all her Daddy, but I keep reminding him half her blood is mine so it's inevitable that our cute and sweet little girl will eventually turn into me ; )

Frontier sounds like a nightmare! We are loyal to United and I will pay more to avoid what you went through. Onto WCC, the food looks so good. We had dinner there back in Feb 2013 and we loved it. The WL is beautiful and is on by resort bucket list to try.
Nightmare doesn't even begin to describe it. Still kicking myself for that one.

You should defnitely try WL. I had no idea that peaceful and Disney could be in the same sentence. We are contemplating poly or BC for our September trip, but I'm not sure my heart could stand the WL withdrawal.

So excited to read your second report! As others have said, Casey is so cute and I bet she was one little excited girl when she found out but how funny is it that she said she knew you were taking her to Disney for her birthday! Looking forward to some yummy food reviews with a splash of sarcasm.

Sorry to hear that your morning didn't start out so well, but at least it turned around once you got to WL. Major props for not needing all of the alcohol by the time you'd gotten to your resort. Cranberry mayo sounds yummy. I'm a big fan of the cranberry and turkey pairing, so probably would have enjoyed it.

Thanks. Still don't know how I saved my alcohol indulgence until later in the say, amazing what rage and no sleep can bring out in me.

Joining in after finishing your last report! :)

Thanks, hope you enjoy ; )

Oh my gosh!! You missed your flight standing on a 3 hour line to check in? What a crazy nightmare airport experience! Seriously, it sounds like something I would have a nightmare about. That must have been unbelievably stressful and frustrating. I hope you got every cent back.
Moving Casey's birthday is hilarious. That is so so funny and you pulled it off! What a fun birthday surprise. And definitely way better than IHOP! I'm glad you got to enjoy a great dinner at WL after your stressful travel day.
Nightmare is putting it lightly. I haven't gotten a single cent back yet. Apparently they usually take 2 months to respond to complaints.

We hadn't planned to move her bday, but when she didn't seem to remember so we just rolled with it. Though she is still requesting her trip to Ihop ; )

Newbie here, but I don't miss a good food report! I'm very excited to hear good things about WCC. We're staying at WL in October for our first ever on-site stay, and I was hoping that we could get a decent meal at the resort if our son gets too tired.
Welcome!!!! Oldie here and I don't miss a food report either.

Oh, you will so love WL. WCC was a great option and roaring forks is small but pretty decent too. The lounge also has some great options.

I love your reviews! No offense to anyone else, buy your reviews are the best!
No offense taken :rotfl2:

Just finished your first report and can't wait to read the rest of this one!!! Keep em comin'
Thanks so much. Hope you enjoy

So excited to read your second report! As others have said, Casey is so cute and I bet she was one little excited girl when she found out but how funny is it that she said she knew you were taking her to Disney for her birthday! Looking forward to some yummy food reviews with a splash of sarcasm.
Thanks. She's flown to many places, but I think she still equates flying to Disney. We live right by the airport and she thinks every plane she sees is going to Disney world, even if it's landing ; )

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
We have stayed twice at the BC CL and love the place!! The pool is amazing. Next trip with my DH and baby we are staying at our old faithful Coronado Springs. For the price and fantastic pool it's great for a budget trip for us.

How horrible that you missed your flight because of the terribly long line at the Frontier counter! I would have been so angry. It seems like they should have held the flights, considering many others must have missed theirs, too. I guess you know for next time. When Frontier was based out of Denver, we used to fly them all the time without issues, but at that point, we were there main customer base. I think some things have changed over the years (and we haven't flown Frontier since Southwest came to Denver).

Looking forward to reading the rest!

So excited for your reviews! We were just in Disney World last weekend and I noticed a lot of the restaurants are now serving those thin fries that get cold almost instantly :sad2:

We have stayed twice at the BC CL and love the place!! The pool is amazing. Next trip with my DH and baby we are staying at our old faithful Coronado Springs. For the price and fantastic pool it's great for a budget trip for us.

We ended up deciding on Poly. If it was just Jason and I it would have been BC no question, but with Casey proximity to MK is great. Got a great deal though at Poly, even less than we just paid for AKL, so excited to give it a try.

How horrible that you missed your flight because of the terribly long line at the Frontier counter! I would have been so angry. It seems like they should have held the flights, considering many others must have missed theirs, too. I guess you know for next time. When Frontier was based out of Denver, we used to fly them all the time without issues, but at that point, we were there main customer base. I think some things have changed over the years (and we haven't flown Frontier since Southwest came to Denver).

Looking forward to reading the rest!
I think everyone in line anticipated they would hold the flight, still in disbelief they didn't. They certainly won't get a second chance though ; ) Hope you enjoy.

Count me in! I loved your last report and look forward to reading this one!
Ah gosh thanks ; )

Joining! Going to go read your first DR :)
Thank you!

So excited for your reviews! We were just in Disney World last weekend and I noticed a lot of the restaurants are now serving those thin fries that get cold almost instantly :sad2:
The fries were good, just cold. Didn't even think maybe the thinness lent them to getting cold earlier. Of course I still had no problem polishing them off ; )

With our bellies full from Whispering Canyon, and our room not yet ready, we elected to start our trip with a visit to Ep-A-Cot (as Casey calls it) since the Magic Kingdom was due to be busy from the Princess Half Marathon crowd. We got a text our room was ready just as the bus was pulling up, but decided to proceed apace.

Had a bit of a preview of things to come when Jason's magic band didn't work at the park entrance. Thankfully we brought the hard ticket, so he could use that. Otherwise Ep-A-Cot was rather uneventful, and sadly included no food, but we were able to Soar over California (but aren't we in Florida #confused), journey into the worst imagination ever, listen to the land (if anyone else recalls this lovely diddy from the 80s I still insist on singing it when we ride much to Jason's chagrin), sail into the big blue world, meet a couple of chipmunks, and of course honk the boss mans nose.

Upon returning to the lodge I figured check-in would be a breeze, but somehow they'd assigned us two rooms. I offered to take both or at least take my pick of the two, but apparently that wasn't an option ; ) After at least 30 minutes of waiting and Casey's patience waining, we finally got to our room - only to find the magic bands wouldn't open the door. Lovely! I went back to the lobby to get someone to help and they ended up having to use an old school key to get us in and bring our magic bands back about 30 minutes later. But finally we were in our one bedroom villa at the lodge. Please do the gratuitous room montage...

Bedroom

Kitchen - Won't be using that

Living room - aka Casey's bedroom

Casey's Bed

Bus Stop View - Great for people watching and beeping early morning buses ; )

In all seriousness though, the room was great and despite the view our room was situated as such that we couldn't see any other balconies so it felt private. I was also a bit worried the villas wouldn't have the same charm of the lodge, but as soon as we walked into the lobby those concerns floated away by this lovely site (this is looking down from our room)

We'd planned on grabbing dinner in the Territory Lounge this night, but as we waited for our room drama to work itself out we were able to snag an Artist Point ressie instead. After a quick jaunt to the lodge I was a bit surprised to find about 7 other parties in front of us checking in. Buzzer in hand we ended up waiting another 30 minutes before we were seated. While we waited we enjoyed the warmth of the Florida evening and of course took a few pics.

Birthday Girl & Me

Jason chill-axing in the rocker

When we were seated they apologized for the wait, which was apparently due to an early rush from the marathon crowd. Side note - props to anyone who completed the marathon - but please change your clothes before coming to a signature restaurant. I was a bit shocked to see at least 3 women in their race garb, tutu's included.

While we contemplated our orders, we were brought some delicious sourdough bread and butter with Hawaiian sea salt. I'm a sucker for good bread and this was warm and sourdoughie (is that a word) and the butter and sea salt put it over the top.

Our waiter noticed Casey was partial to the butter (that kid would eat it straight if I let her) and brought her own pat. Sorry for the blurry picture here, but you'll get the idea of her butter love

We'd elected to skip apps as it was well after 8 and Casey had been up since before 6. For his entree Jason ordered the Roasted Berkshire Pork Loin with Smoked Gouda-Herb Polenta, Baby Heirloom Carrots, Lima Beans, Cipollini Onions, Washington State Apples, and Port-Pomegranate Reduction paired with the suggested wine, a Pinot Noir from Washington.

This was the first of what would be many pork dishes for Jason this week and his second favorite one. The pork was especially tender for a loin and the polenta didn't have too much gouda flavor, but was nice and creamy. The onions and apples added nice earthy and sweet tones to the port reduction. The carrots were the wildcard on the plate. First, they were oddly plated being so long with the rest of the food - is that a carrot on your plate or are you just happy to see me ; ) - but they were also a bit undercooked.

For her "birthday" meal Casey chose the Cedar Plank Roasted King Salmon with Sweet Potato Mash, House-smoked Bacon, Winter Vegetables, and Apple Cider Gastrique. Ok, clearly her Mommy chose this not her, but the kid had butter so she was happy.

This was plated at the table direct from the cedar plank and this wasn't just for show, the cedar flavor was definitely prominent in my perfectly cooked medium salmon. The sweet potatoes were delicious and the golden beets and brussels sprouts were cooked perfectly. The purple cauliflower was good, but was likely added for color vice flavor as it didn't blend with the rest of the plate. The apple gastrique was good, but didn't taste like more than just cider to me. The bacon was odd as it was served in 2 large pieces vice being scattered on the plate. Casey ended up just eating this herself so I don't know if it would have changed the plate. I had this paired with the recommended Oregon Pinot Noir which had nice blackberry undertones and paired nicely with the salmon. Casey paired some pink lemonade with hers.

We knew we wanted dessert, but with an exhausted little girl on our hands elected to get it to go. So what did we choose? A homage to our last club level trip - the one and only Artist Point Cobbler with with Seasonal Berries and House-made Black Raspberry ice Cream

To go with the Cobbler we picked up a bottle of wine in the mercantile. Sticking with the wilderness theme I selected the 2013 vintage of the world-famous California Frontier Red

For $13.95 this wasn't bad and hit the mark. It was pretty one note, but had moments of spice and tobacco.

We put Casey into her couch bed and enjoyed the cobbler and berries in our own bed. The cobbler was even better than the club level version, as the berries were a nice fresh accompaniment. But the core of the cobbler was just as ooey and gooey and buttery as I remembered and we were quickly transported to our little version of wilderness lodge heaven. Though per Jason, Cobbler + Wine + Eating in Bed would undoubtedly do its part to inch us one step closer to diabetes ; )

Overall our meal at Artist Point was wonderful, despite the long wait and questionably dressed clientele ; ) The food and wine was all great and the perfect start to our week long disney adventure. Our server was attentive, though a little insincere, but I never wanted for anything so 18% tip well earned. With our tables in wonderland card we saved $22.60.

Up next we take some candles and teapots up on their offer to be their guest...

Other than the snafus with the magic band and room (and once you actually made it to FL!), it seems like a great (and yummy) first day! That cobbler looks scrumptious. I wish I could eat that in bed right now.

Those dishes both look delicious. I have been hoping to try Artist Point. And you cannot go wrong with dessert and wine in bed. Yum!

I'm enjoying your food report and am glad I found it but I think I must switch inyo my comfy pants before I can read any further.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter