A Question Before I Complain ... But I Might Anyway!

Did you call housekeeping to report the broken lights or ask for toiletries? They are usually pretty responsive. If you didn't notify the housekeeping manager directly, I'm not sure the fault lies with them.
Call Maintenance for repairs like burned out lights and broken chains. Call Housekeeping to get the towels and amenities issues resolved.

Perhaps we should make guests take a class before starting a Disney Resorts vacation stay.

(Written in the SARCASM font)

Chapter 1: YOU the guest are responsible for instantly knowing how to solve any and all Disney resort room problems.
It's your fault when there are problems.
Everyone reading these boards already knows what to do. Why don't you?

Chapter 2: It is YOUR responsibility to herd the staff into solving the problems that YOU experience during your stay.

Be sure to take time out of your vacation to chase the staff around trying to get them to take care of their business.
Be prepared to be ping ponged around by management and staff as YOU WORK to seek solutions to THEIR problems.

Chapter 3: Be prepared to pay a premium price for minimum or nonexistent service.
It's just the way Disney does business these days.
Duh... everybody (on the Dis Boards) knows this. Why don't you?

Chapter 4: When someone knocks on your room door and demands immediate entry you are to stop what you are doing and open the door and let this stranger in.
Yes, you read that correctly.
Along with no toilet paper, no towels and no coffee Disney is now offering no privacy.
Welcome to the new Disney resort experience, and by the way, prices went up AGAIN because the stock price was slipping.

~NM

Sorry, I don't think there is any secret club membership necessary to know how to get more shampoo if you run out
I've run out at other hotels, not of shampoo but of toilet paper and of coffee. I knew how to ask for more. It's called common sense.

True, however if a guest has an issue and does not address it, no one knows. It cannot be corrected.

It is not, and in a perfect world, this would not occur, however there is no such thing as perfection in a resort. If you encounter less than expected service, you need to make the management aware so it can be corrected.

FOr instance, the towels folded neatly on the side of the tub: How would the housekeep know they were not going to be reused. There are signs in every room but those in the Grand asking you to fold towels for reuse. I toss them in the bathtub so there is not a question, however if I felt that my linens needs were not met, I would either call or pop in at the front desk. I woudl not tolerate a dirty room: again I would call or stop in. I am not sure how reasonable it is to expect daily serviceing to be done at a particular time, although I have read Disney tries.

Yes. If I attempted to correct issues, and they were not addressed, I woudl definatly follow up.

I do always address issues when things aren’t done that should be. But, my last stay it was getting annoying. I was constantly calling or stopping by the desk to let them know my coffee wasn’t refilled (ya don’t want to encounter me without my morning cup ) or cups not refilled, or toiletries. The list just keeps on going. I’ve never experienced this before at any hotel, no less Disney! Out of a 10 day stay there were only 2 days mid stay where everything was refilled as we are accustomed to. Prob a different housekeeper. Wish we had her all the time. Nobody ever spoke to the housekeeper who wasn’t replenishing supplies to do so. Despite my freq calls saying it’s not being done.
But I don’t feel it’s the guests fault these things weren’t done. Broken fan cord in dresser, broken lamps all should have been reported by housekeeping to maintenance, not guests job.

Definitely write this in on the survey and let them know you, as a customer, wanted them to be more on top of this. I feel like while on vacation I’m too busy to care about certain things, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get the proper amenities at the resort you are paying 200+ per night to visit.
If you wanted to deal with the towels and shampoo yourself you would have rented a house in Kissimmee and saved money.

Perhaps we should make guests take a class before starting a Disney Resorts vacation stay.

Chapter 1: YOU the guest are responsible for instantly knowing how to solve any and all Disney resort room problems.

Chapter 2: It is YOUR responsibility to herd the staff into solving the problems that YOU experience during your stay.

Be sure to take time out of your vacation to chase the staff around trying to get them to take care of their business.
Be prepared to be ping ponged around by management and staff as YOU WORK to seek solutions to THEIR problems.

Chapter 3: Be prepared to pay a premium price for minimum or nonexistent service.

Chapter 4: When someone knocks on your room door and demands immediate entry you are to stop what you are doing and open the door and let this stranger in.
Along with no toilet paper, no towels and no coffee Disney is now offering no privacy.
Welcome to the new Disney resort experience, and by the way, prices went up AGAIN because the stock price was slipping.

~NM
Definitely make that class mandatory for all potential Disney guests, and if they fail the final exam, they won't be allowed entry to WDW! That way, the dropouts and failures can complain about Disney all they want outside the gates!

Wow, I wonder if OP expected so many passionate responses!

Just curious... For those of you that mention that you left tips despite poor service, why did you leave a tip? Wouldn't that indicate you were pleased with the service? Do you tip at all hotels or just Disney? Maybe I am missing proper etiquette (as it's rare for me to go to a place and not just leave up the do not disturb sign), but it seems to me if you're not pleased with the job you wouldn't tip unless the tip is in hope of them doing a good job...

Since when is it the guests responsibility to get basic housekeeping services? I'm on vacation, I'm not calling housekeeping every day to get basic things like towels. It sounds like they are so busy "checking" rooms, there's no one left to actually clean them. Sorry, I give Disney a pass on a lot, but housekeeping isn't one of them. Every day there's more reason to save money and go offsite to a 5 star hotel!

Totally agree with this.

We had similar complaints during our recent stay at POP. It seemed like they were being stingy with replacing towels. We got no bag for the ice bucket one day. Another day we got no cups and no refills for the coffee maker. We did stop at the front desk one night to ask for supplies. And we got some - but then stuff wasn't refilled again the very next day. We don't feel we should have to constantly be calling or stopping at the front desk for such basic stuff. I've never had such poor service in a Disney hotel.

We also did try to call one night about an issue we had with room service. It was our first night there. And we spent quite a bit of time trying to get someone on the phone to help us. Then we got transferred. And disconnected. It hardly made it seem worth it to try to fix anything by phone again. And we didn't want to spend time constantly going to the front desk - I figured our one stop would have resolved things for the remainder of the week. It didn't at all.

We did get a survey. And I noted our experience. I also wrote to Disney. They contacted us a couple days ago, but I missed the call. So I'm planning to speak with them soon as we set up a time to chat. We'll see what happens. I figure that if enough people voice similar concerns, it will perhaps be taken more seriously. If nobody says anything, it's more likely to continue.

Wow! I've posted now and again but usually don't get any replies unless it is a specific question.

I posted mainly to ask if there had been some changes in the way in which housekeeping works before I noted the issues on the survey ... understand that none of the issues was that big a deal to us at the time ... there were just two of us in the room that was originally stocked for as many as 4 or 5 ... we were fine with towels just noticed that they weren't replacing them when they took them away. They did take the dirty ones away ... just didn't replace them with clean ones. We didn't make a special trip to the marketplace to buy shampoo ... we were there for something else, saw it and "jokingly" noted that maybe we should buy some ... not a big deal, my daughter likes and will use it.

None of the issues was a "deal-breaker" and perhaps we should have dealt with them while we were there but we didn't so that's on us I guess. Again ... nothing was a big deal and we had a wonderful trip.

P/S ... we did not tip after the second day.

Welcome to the new Disney resort !

~NM

LOL ... this one was a good laugh on a dreary Chicago morning! I like the sarcasm font too! I can think of some more training for WDW visits but those would have to be posted in the "Theme Parks etc." portion of the forums. Thanks for the chuckle!

~NM

Send this to Guest Services, exactly as written. Disney really needs to get its act together with regard to these resorts.

I do always address issues when things aren’t done that should be. But, my last stay it was getting annoying. I was constantly calling or stopping by the desk to let them know my coffee wasn’t refilled (ya don’t want to encounter me without my morning cup ) or cups not refilled, or toiletries. The list just keeps on going. I’ve never experienced this before at any hotel, no less Disney! Out of a 10 day stay there were only 2 days mid stay where everything was refilled as we are accustomed to. Prob a different housekeeper. Wish we had her all the time. Nobody ever spoke to the housekeeper who wasn’t replenishing supplies to do so. Despite my freq calls saying it’s not being done.
But I don’t feel it’s the guests fault these things weren’t done. Broken fan cord in dresser, broken lamps all should have been reported by housekeeping to maintenance, not guests job.

Imust say that after twice I would have not been happy.

Send this to Guest Services, exactly as written. Disney really needs to get its act together with regard to these resorts.

I would, but it's abundantly clear that management doesn't care anymore. They are conducting business by following a model of "Let's see what kind of poor service we can get away with" in conjunction with "Lets see how much more we can charge". Disney Management is counting on the fact that there is an endless stream of suckers that can be duped into paying premium prices for a less than stellar vacation experience.

Most people taking Disney vacations do not follow social media so they are not aware of just how far the experience has eroded. I'm sure there are a good number of guests that have never even been to Disney before. They have zero reference concerning the brand excellence that Disney has prided itself on, and marketed to people, to justify their astronomical pricing.

This is not to say that the CM's don't care, I think the majority of them do and they are not happy with this "New Disney Style" approach. The fault for these problems goes directly to poor management.

~NM

I would, but it's abundantly clear that management doesn't care anymore. They are conducting business by following a model of "Let's see what kind of poor service we can get away with" in conjunction with "Lets see how much more we can charge". Disney Management is counting on the fact that there is an endless stream of suckers that can be duped into paying premium prices for a less than stellar vacation experience.

Most people taking Disney vacations do not follow social media so they are not aware of just how far the experience has eroded. I'm sure there are a good number of guests that have never even been to Disney before. They have zero reference concerning the brand excellence that Disney has prided itself on, and marketed to people, to justify their astronomical pricing.

This is not to say that the CM's don't care, I think the majority of them do and they are not happy with this "New Disney Style" approach. The fault for these problems goes directly to poor management.

~NM
Wow, I can assure you I'm no sucker. I've never had a less than stellar vacation. That may be different when we check-in 2 weeks from today. I hope not, it's a big trip for DGD's birthday.

Wow, I wonder if OP expected so many passionate responses!

Just curious... For those of you that mention that you left tips despite poor service, why did you leave a tip? Wouldn't that indicate you were pleased with the service? Do you tip at all hotels or just Disney? Maybe I am missing proper etiquette (as it's rare for me to go to a place and not just leave up the do not disturb sign), but it seems to me if you're not pleased with the job you wouldn't tip unless the tip is in hope of them doing a good job...

This exactly! We had a towel issue during our stay at BC this past October. Was consistently left 1 washcloth and shampoo was not restocked. Even resorted to leaving a note one day asking for more. That day only she left 4, then went back to 1 the next day. I stopped tipping & starting calling the housekeeper line on the phone. I would then promptly have towels and shampoo delivered. I made sure to tell whoever was on the phone why I was requesting more, and also stopped by the front desk to let them know.

This exactly! We had a towel issue during our stay at BC this past October. Was consistently left 1 washcloth and shampoo was not restocked. Even resorted to leaving a note one day asking for more. That day only she left 4, then went back to 1 the next day. I stopped tipping & starting calling the housekeeper line on the phone. I would then promptly have towels and shampoo delivered. I made sure to tell whoever was on the phone why I was requesting more, and also stopped by the front desk to let them know.

You are certainly lucky that someone actually helped you when you called the housekeeping line! We were at POR for 10 days last year, and I asked politely for room service anywhere from 7:30am to 12/30pm each day, as we had health problems and had to have that early afternoon time to rest up. I was assured daily that they would do that, no problem. Right. I had to call each day for 7 days, and it was never done at that time, only tried to do it later while we were resting. I even explained it was a medical necessity, and they assured me that it would be taken care of.
After 7 days, I finally went to the front desk CM, who called her manager, who called the manager of housekeeping. Only then did I get the last 3 days as I requested.
I felt that I, as a paying guest, should not have to take time out of my vacation to address this simple request at the front desk. That's why I waited for 7 days. I naively thought my phone calls daily would be taken care of...........
We had other problems with that trip too, which I won't go into here.
I wrote guest relations when we got home. I got a phone call and they said we could have 2 free admission days on our next visit.
I DID NOT want or need this. I just wanted them to take care of business. We always resolved the housekeeping issue with one phone call on our first day, no problem, when we visited prior to 2013. Things have certainly changed for the worst IMO.
We will be at POFQ next week and will see how it is handled then. I wish I could be more optimistic about it.

Last edited:
You are certainly lucky that someone actually helped you when you called the housekeeping line! We were at POR for 10 days last year, and I asked politely for room service anywhere from 7:30am to 12/30pm each day, as we had health problems and had to have that early afternoon time to rest up. I was assured daily that they would do that, no problem. Right. I had to call each day for 7 days, and it was never done at that time, only tried to do it later while we were resting. I even explained it was a medical necessity, and they assured me that it would be taken care of.
After 7 days, I finally went to the front desk CM, who called her manager, who called the manager of housekeeping. Only then did I get the last 3 days as I requested.
I felt that I, as a paying guest, should not have to take time out of my vacation to address this simply request at the front desk. That's why I waited for 7 days. I naively thought my phone calls daily would be taken care of...........
We had other problems with that trip too, which I won't go into here.
I wrote guest relations when we got home. I got a phone call and they said we could have 2 free admission days on our next visit.
I DID NOT want or need this. I just wanted them to take care of business. We always resolved the housekeeping issue with one phone call on our first day, no problem, when we visited prior to 2013. Things have certainly changed for the worst IMO.
We will be at POFQ next week and will see how it is handled then. I wish I could be more optimistic about it.

I hope you are surprised this time around and have excellent housekeeping - as well as a fabulous time, generally, of course! :mickeyjum

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter