A Question Before I Complain ... But I Might Anyway!

That stinks that your housekeeping was so bad during your stay.

At the Poly last year our housekeeping was great except they didn't replenish the toilet paper either - by the last day we had gone though what was there and left the roll totally empty.

Yes I realize that however I still think that isn't much considering the work they do. They are making 2.50 less than minimum wage here. I'm not dismissing the OP's issues. She deserved to have reliable and proper housekeeping and obviously didn't receive that. I do think she should have said something while still there so the issues could have been corrected. Regardless of what the rate of pay is, housekeeping should be doing the job they are hired to do.

Well, it is more than $2 above minimum wage in Florida. Before figuring in tips. So it isn't as if Disney is paying the bare minimum.

But yes, they should do a decent job, no matter the pay.

Honestly, all of the problems you had stemmed from horrible housekeeping. Every single one of them, including the burnt out lights and broken chain.
I don't feel it's a housekeeping task to check each light bulb in each room each day. The chain should have been noticed, and reported to Maintenance, as it's also not a housekeeping task.
Yes I realize that however I still think that isn't much considering the work they do. They are making 2.50 less than minimum wage here.
But they're not wherever "here" is. They're in Florida, where the minimum wage is $8.25 - so they're earning 27% more than their state's minimum wage.

I don't feel it's a housekeeping task to check each light bulb in each room each day. The chain should have been noticed, and reported to Maintenance, as it's also not a housekeeping task.
Then whose task is it? Housekeeping is the only employee in a room unless there is a problem and someone else is brought in to fix it. They are not responsible for fixing the bulbs and the chain, but IMO they are responsible for knowing that something needs to be fixed and to report it to maintenance.

But they're not wherever "here" is. They're in Florida, where the minimum wage is $8.25 - so they're earning 27% more than their state's minimum wage.

Yes they are making more than the FL minimum, they are also making more than the federal minimum. That certainly doesn't mean that the minimum is a fair wage or even a livable wage. Generally speaking the better an employee is paid, the better they will perform their job. It's not right that the OP didn't receive good service but I can easily see why it happens.

I was at the Beach club Villas last month and we had too many toiletries! We called to ask for an extra blanket for the sofa bed and they also brought 8 towels and about 20 bottles of toiletries. They also replenished the ones in the bathrooms about halfway through the week (we never moved the first batch out of the living room where they left them). We ended up leaving them unopened there since we don’t really have a need for small toiletries at home!

We only had one issue with housekeeping and that was that something has apparently leaked causing a sticky residue to be left all over the kitchen, bathroom and entryway floors. It wasn’t there when we left in the morning but then appeared when we came back from the pool. The trash was taken out so we assume it happened then. I called Housekeeping using the button on the phone and reached someone who was very apologetic and said they were sending someone straight up. We had to leave since we had an ADR so I left notes where the sticky patches were and got in our Lyft. While in the car, I got a call from the Housekeeping Manager who was apologizing and asking me for more info on what happened. By the time we got back, the floors were cleaned. I was very satisfied with their response!

Was going to buy their own while on vacation a better solution than "herd" houskeeping or going to front desk?
I'm amazed that some folks here think that you should be upset and write a letter once you get home vs. solving it while you are there.
Otherwise I agree, it's not good that they had to deal with it. Not at all. I'm pretty sure no one here has said it was either. But just what do you think is the proper action when you need to get more supplies while there? Go without and write a letter once home? Surely not.

I would do both.

I would call housekeeping and let the front desk know there are issues and then I would follow up with a letter once I got home.

There is no excuse for poor housekeeping services no matter where you are staying or how much you pay for the room.

It’s really sad to hear that the BC is going down the tubes. I always ranked the GF and the Y&BC with the best housekeeping and Poly, Contemporary and Boardwalk with the worst. (WL is fine too, never had any issues there.)

I've stayed in almost every WDW resort and we've had similar issues, and, quite honestly, the way the issues have been handled really seem to depend on where we are staying. For instance, we had a fridge issue at the Poly a few years back (it wasn't cold and I didn't notice until I had put our perishables in unfortunately). I called Engineering and it never got fixed. At other resorts, if I needed more of something, typically a note or a call to housekeeping would solve that problem (which, unfortunately, wasn't the case for you). At CCV this past December, I couldn't believe how top-notch their entire staff was. Our villa was always spotless, always re-stocked and, when we first arrived, we noticed the lock to the balcony door wasn't working. I called Engineering around 3 pm and by the time we got back from EP that evening, it had already been fixed. We then received a handwritten note from a manager later in the trip apologizing for the lock problem! I was super impressed!

Then whose task is it? Housekeeping is the only employee in a room unless there is a problem and someone else is brought in to fix it.
Housekeeping works during the day. If the burnt-out bulb is in the bathroom, where they would have had to turn on the light to work, then okay, that specific bulb is Housekeeping's responsibility to change of report. The missing chain should have been observed an e reported as well. But expecting them to check every single bulb in every single room every single day? Hardly. The guest is the reasonable person to expect to notice and report a burnt-out bulb in the main area(s) of the room.

Housekeeping works during the day. If the burnt-out bulb is in the bathroom, where they would have had to turn on the light to work, then okay, that specific bulb is Housekeeping's responsibility to change of report. The missing chain should have been observed an e reported as well. But expecting them to check every single bulb in every single room every single day? Hardly. The guest is the reasonable person to expect to notice and report a burnt-out bulb in the main area(s) of the room.
I disagree. I do expect them to check the lights. It takes literally 30 seconds to turn on and off all the lights in a standard hotel room. Housekeeping is the first line of defense and they are the only employees that know if something in a room is in need of attention. It is not my job as a guest to bring to management’s attention that something in their hotel needs to be fixed. I believe that housekeeping should be the ones that know exactly what a room in good working order looks like and one with TWO burned out bulbs is not it.

They are quick to raise prices on everything and provide less service- good for their bottom line. I guess they figure- why pay more to the staff? People will come to Disney anyway in spite of all these issues we're discussing. Between all the conventions, school groups, sports teams, and 15s, the resorts will stay booked no matter what.

To add to your comments I'd like to point out that the resorts are built to support the parks. In other words the resorts are the bigger part of the business. Disney is building more and more resorts because that's where the money is.

At one time the Disney brand & philosophy was a beacon of excellence. These days we are seeing management trade on that reputation and a shift has occurred where the priority is on profits above all other considerations. The vast majority of guests are not aware of this change in focus and come to Disney expecting that excellence. Then they experience a degradation in service like we are seeing at the resorts.

I really wish Disney management was spending it's time on solving the problems instead of building the profits. All across the parks and resorts one keeps seeing this degradation. Think of all the effort that is being made to cut offerings and services and develop up-charge events. It would be much better if some of that effort was devoted to actually providing the "Disney Excellence" that guests have been led to expect. I think at some point management has decided to run things along the line of "How much can we get away with" versus providing Disney excellence.

A vacation to Walt Disney World is so expensive. It's supposed to be a premium experience. Like I said above it seems like the entire focus of the company is offering the minimum and charging the maximum. These problems that are occurring at the resorts are intentionally being allowed to exist. That right there is proof of the shift away from the Disney excellence standard. It's like management has just completely given up and they are hoping that the guest doesn't notice they are paying a premium price for a crappy experience..... only the guests do notice.

I'm sure that if pay and working conditions were improved Disney would have no problem filling the housekeeping positions. It's inevitable that a company will have to pay "What the market will bear" when there is a shortage of people willing to do the job. Instead, the strategy seems to be let the guests deal with the housekeeping problem.

This is so unlike what we have come to expect from Disney and it's unfortunate that these are the type management decisions that Disney is making. It's almost like there is a functional deficit in the management of the resorts that is not being addressed. There are so many problems and things just keep getting worse for the guest as prices go up.

I also feel sorry for the CM's that are working under this type of management. I'm sure many of them take pride in their jobs but it has to be demoralizing when management is not enabling you to get the job done with the appropriate resources and staff. How frustrating is that? Pretty much every housekeeper and staff member at the Disney resorts I have stayed at have been great. It's important to remember that they are in the middle of these problems and not to take out frustrations on them.

As long as Disney thinks they can get away with this type of stuff it's going to exist. We are already seeing an increase in ticket prices and room rates along the same lines as "What the market will bear". I fear that things are going to get worse and that's really sad. It's one thing to pay astronomical prices for a Disney vacation. It's entirely another thing when you realize that a Disney vacation is no longer the experience you thought it should be.

I really hope Disney decides to fix it.

~NM

Where do those of you complaining address issues at standard hotels? Say you are staying at a Holiday Inn, Marriott, Hilton, do you wait to complain to a world phone number, or do you visit the front desk? Why does being at WDW make a difference in how you handle it?

In my case, which is very similar to the OP's, I addressed it there, each and every day, and our issues didn't resolve until nearly our end of vacation. No different for me despite where I stay--address it at the time, but if you did not receive satisfaction, deal with it later in surveys as well.

Where do those of you complaining address issues at standard hotels? Say you are staying at a Holiday Inn, Marriott, Hilton, do you wait to complain to a world phone number, or do you visit the front desk? Why does being at WDW make a difference in how you handle it?
I believe it needs to be addressed while there first and foremost. At least the type we are discussing here, missing toiletries, necessary items such as toilet paper, etc. If they are delivered then I'd most likely drop the issue. A letter is unlikely needed or necessary to resolve things.
Lack of overall maintenance, I'd probably bring it to the attention of the manager while there and then write a letter to corporate once I'm home also. This is to make sure they are aware of something that is likely an ongoing problem.
Just in general, I don't treat Disney hotels any different than any other hotel stay anywhere else.

Haven't read the whole thread, but is there a possibility that the "new" immigration crackdowns might be contributing to this problem? Maybe folks are legal to do the job, but have illegal relatives, etc. and are afraid of attracting any attention?

To add to your comments I'd like to point out that the resorts are built to support the parks. In other words the resorts are the bigger part of the business. Disney is building more and more resorts because that's where the money is.

At one time the Disney brand & philosophy was a beacon of excellence. These days we are seeing management trade on that reputation and a shift has occurred where the priority is on profits above all other considerations. The vast majority of guests are not aware of this change in focus and come to Disney expecting that excellence. Then they experience a degradation in service like we are seeing at the resorts.

I really wish Disney management was spending it's time on solving the problems instead of building the profits. All across the parks and resorts one keeps seeing this degradation. Think of all the effort that is being made to cut offerings and services and develop up-charge events. It would be much better if some of that effort was devoted to actually providing the "Disney Excellence" that guests have been led to expect. I think at some point management has decided to run things along the line of "How much can we get away with" versus providing Disney excellence.

A vacation to Walt Disney World is so expensive. It's supposed to be a premium experience. Like I said above it seems like the entire focus of the company is offering the minimum and charging the maximum. These problems that are occurring at the resorts are intentionally being allowed to exist. That right there is proof of the shift away from the Disney excellence standard. It's like management has just completely given up and they are hoping that the guest doesn't notice they are paying a premium price for a crappy experience..... only the guests do notice.

I'm sure that if pay and working conditions were improved Disney would have no problem filling the housekeeping positions. It's inevitable that a company will have to pay "What the market will bear" when there is a shortage of people willing to do the job. Instead, the strategy seems to be let the guests deal with the housekeeping problem.

This is so unlike what we have come to expect from Disney and it's unfortunate that these are the type management decisions that Disney is making. It's almost like there is a functional deficit in the management of the resorts that is not being addressed. There are so many problems and things just keep getting worse for the guest as prices go up.

I also feel sorry for the CM's that are working under this type of management. I'm sure many of them take pride in their jobs but it has to be demoralizing when management is not enabling you to get the job done with the appropriate resources and staff. How frustrating is that? Pretty much every housekeeper and staff member at the Disney resorts I have stayed at have been great. It's important to remember that they are in the middle of these problems and not to take out frustrations on them.

As long as Disney thinks they can get away with this type of stuff it's going to exist. We are already seeing an increase in ticket prices and room rates along the same lines as "What the market will bear". I fear that things are going to get worse and that's really sad. It's one thing to pay astronomical prices for a Disney vacation. It's entirely another thing when you realize that a Disney vacation is no longer the experience you thought it should be.

I really hope Disney decides to fix it.

~NM

I don't often log in - usually plenty just to read and that keeps me busy! - but I had to reply to this. :worship: WELL SAID NINJA MOM!

Disney have even got people defending them against people who have poor experiences. Experiences that, at most, should require a quick phone call (not visit) to front desk and then be left confidently in the hands of the CMs to put right.

In the end, poor quality benefits no one! I wish Disney would get a better grasp on the bigger picture here; they have something worth preserving.

Imo inadequate housekeeping is the hotels fault. It isn’t the guests fault the room wasn’t serviced properly.

True, however if a guest has an issue and does not address it, no one knows. It cannot be corrected.

Since when is it the guests responsibility to get basic housekeeping services? I'm on vacation, I'm not calling housekeeping every day to get basic things like towels. It sounds like they are so busy "checking" rooms, there's no one left to actually clean them. Sorry, I give Disney a pass on a lot, but housekeeping isn't one of them. Every day there's more reason to save money and go offsite to a 5 star hotel!

It is not, and in a perfect world, this would not occur, however there is no such thing as perfection in a resort. If you encounter less than expected service, you need to make the management aware so it can be corrected.

FOr instance, the towels folded neatly on the side of the tub: How would the housekeep know they were not going to be reused. There are signs in every room but those in the Grand asking you to fold towels for reuse. I toss them in the bathtub so there is not a question, however if I felt that my linens needs were not met, I would either call or pop in at the front desk. I woudl not tolerate a dirty room: again I would call or stop in. I am not sure how reasonable it is to expect daily serviceing to be done at a particular time, although I have read Disney tries.

In my case, which is very similar to the OP's, I addressed it there, each and every day, and our issues didn't resolve until nearly our end of vacation. No different for me despite where I stay--address it at the time, but if you did not receive satisfaction, deal with it later in surveys as well.

Yes. If I attempted to correct issues, and they were not addressed, I woudl definatly follow up.

I agree with PPs. If you felt like you had issues while you were on property, you should have addressed them then. Complaining now? For what?

I had a similar experience at BC about 4 months ago. Housekeeping missed us multiple days and when they did come it was hit or miss what they replenished. Day 3 we were gone all day and did not have any sign out, came back at 11pm and nothing had been touched (bed not made etc). Not a big deal but I did want more coffee pods and towels (there were only 2 to start with). We had a totally unrelated question for the front desk so went down and asked our question and mentioned we would like more coffee and towels since our room had been skipped that day. Someone from Housekeeping very quickly came with loads of towels, coffee stuff and toiletries. He kept stressing to us not to tell the front desk if we needed items, only call Housekeeping directly. He insisted our room had been serviced that day and repeated multiple times do not go to front desk. It was an awkward exchange, felt like we had broken some rule. It continued to be hit or miss but he gave us so much that 3rd night I never requested more of anything and didn't really care if the bed was made.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter