2nd time-help to be wiser

michelle1

DIS Veteran
We were on the DDP last year for the first time and we (myself, DH, DD 10, DS 9) found last year by the end we were so SICK of eating if that's possible. We are not used to the large portions that are served and I felt terrible wasting the amounts that were leftover..is it possible to share? We will be on the free dining so the money isn't a factor but I just feel bad throwing out so much.

There are six of us (me, dh, dd14, ds11, ds8 and dd4). Last year we shared 4 CS meals for lunch and used 2 CS meals for breakfast. We shared at 2 TS restaurants so we could get an extra dinner out of it. We had PLENTY of food. We're planning to share again this year to help maximize the plan. If we have leftover credits we'll use them to get lunch and snack things for the trip home.

Shepherdess said:
Does the server bring extra plates? Or does the kitchen go ahead and split it?

It depends. My DD12 and I shared last fall and some brought extra plates and others split it before serving it to us. It was no problem either way.

SOmetimes they will split it in the kitchen. Most of the time they will just bring extra plates. It really isn't a problem.

You can use your "extra" credits for signature dining. If you still have credits left at check out, you can treat another guest who might not have the dining plan. Extra TS can become a character breakfast rathe than a CS breakfast. Extra CS--well, we asked the person behind us in line if they were on the DDP--they said no, so we "bought" their lunch. It beats wasting credits! It was the last day, and we weren't going to use them..... Even with a few unused CS, the plan was a great bargain.

I guess I can see that - especially when it's hot, sunny, and you're out walking around all the time. I tend to be more thirsty than hungry at those times of the year.

What we're doing is a "snack" for breakfast (or after dinner treat - dole whip), counter service for lunch on the early side (maybe 11) then leaving the park and going back to the resort for a couple hours to chill - literally. It's swelteringly hot and humid that time of day, so we'll probably go back and swim, then nap. Then we will shower and get dressed for dinner, and have some sort of TS meal in the evening - maybe around 6. That way after the meal it will be close to sunset, and then we can enjoy the parade or fireworks or whatever evening show is around with the heat toned down a bit.

Now, if you just straight up don't want the meals, you can alwasy use 2 credits for California Grill - oh my - to DIE FOR! Or, Hoop De Doo or whatever. And you can alwasy do one or two character breakfasts, if you want.

Personally, I'm not big on the splitting meals thing. I feel like it's an inconvenience to the staff (I know, I know, disney magic - and all that) but I still feel weird doing it. Most TS restaurants have lighter fare, if you don't want a heavy meal. I can always go for a steak and risotto, myself. But you could just as easily get an entree salad and have your companion get an entree and go halvsies. (And I wouldn't hesitate to say "no thank you" for dessert or have it wrapped to go, if you have something that's non-perishable.)

wow, is that ever good news about sharing =) my husband and I are cheapskates - an appetizer, entree, and dessert are all we ever order anywhere else. perhaps we'll try to convince my brothers to do the same a couple of times, and use the 'savings' to do one special signature meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter