2018 Princess Half Marathon

Joining in! I signed up for the FTC yesterday with my 2 colleagues. One is also running the FTC, and the other is running the 1/2. I ran the Race for the Taste 10K a few years back, and I have always dreamed of doing this event! I will be celebrating 17 years as a breast cancer survivor!! WooHoo!! Now I need to make a Leslie Knope style binder to keep up with my adventure!!
I am not sure I read it right, but if you think you will finish before 2:45, you have to submit time from any of those distances listed? I was thinking I would need to complete a 1/2 before the deadline.

Did you go through Dreams to get the running package? If so, how did you ask them about the package?

I was not on the ball and was planning to get ready to sign up in June for this race, but seemed to have missed the early date :worried:

I am really hoping I have not missed getting my DD into her first ever race. It would be perfect if it was a Disney Princess one!

Thank you in advance
I used Acclaim travel. They're on the Disney approved travel providers page (there's a link on the princess 5k registration page). You might contact them; they thought they might be able to get a few more 5k bibs.

I used Acclaim travel. They're on the Disney approved travel providers page (there's a link on the princess 5k registration page). You might contact them; they thought they might be able to get a few more 5k bibs.
I've done the same for several sold out races. Highly recommended

Did you go through Dreams to get the running package? If so, how did you ask them about the package?

If you need bibs (race entries), I do'nt think DU does that. YOu need to go with a TA that does race entries. I've used Acclaim Travel (patstonetravel) in the past and they are good. On FB there's a page called "rundisney run marketplace" that allows bib-selling TAs to advertise; with a TA you'll be required to have a 2 night minimum hotel stay and get tickets (they have ways to help if everyone has APs).

Do any vets have a favorite resort for race weekends...particularly the Princess weekends? We are thinking Value or Moderate (to save a few $ so there is more to spend on swag!). I called and booked a room at AoA (Little Mermaid) but the rep said there was construction/landscaping going on and now I'm reconsidering. Is one resort better for race transportation? We've stayed at the All Stars before and thought they were just fine. Have also stayed at Wilderness Lodge (LOOOOOVE!), but probably won't go deluxe this time.

Any insight is appreciated!

I've stayed at POR, SSR, Bay Lake, AOA, AS Music...for race weekends, and all have been fine. Nowadays ALL onsite Disney hotels are host hotels, so they all have transportation to the expo and races. If you're on the monorail line they are only open for the Half for Princess, and if you're at Bay Lake or Contemporary you MUST take the monorail back, as the bus signs LIE and the buses are not slated to go back there. This year, at least.

I am not sure I read it right, but if you think you will finish before 2:45, you have to submit time from any of those distances listed? I was thinking I would need to complete a 1/2 before the deadline.

If you put in an estimated time of 2:45 or faster then you MUST submit Proof of Time by the deadline. If you do not, you will be placed in the last corral. A POT race for a Half can be a 10K or longer; and as long as it has a website with the results on it you're good. 10K, quarter marathon, 10 miler, etc.

If you didn't put an estimate of 2:45 or faster, you don't *have to* give a POT. But if you can run faster than that, and plan to do so, you really should give them a POT so you are running with people that are more your speed. If you get a POT that is faster than the estimate you gave, when you give your POT info, also change the estimate. If you don't change the estimate, the POT won't help you (other than keeping you from the last corral). YOu need to do both, if the POT is faster than the estimate you gave. :)

Has anyone stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge? It seems kind of far from the event start.

I've done pop for race weekends and all the mods other than CBR. I like a hot tub to soak is great.

I signed up for the FTC during early AP registration. DH decided he wanted to do it with me. I hope this doesn't turn into a disaster. He's already griping about having to stop for some photos. I don't think he really understood that runDisney is a fun run for me. I'm not looking for PR. I'm on the course because I love Disney. I made it clear that he better not cramp my running style because I have no problem splitting off from him. Decided I might as well add the 5K and I signed up my daughter too. She'll be 12yo and ran her first 5K at Castaway Cay on our cruise in March. She is so darned proud of that metal!

so do any DVC owners have a preference on which villas you stay in for the races, there's a very good chance my sister will be able to exchange her RCI timeshare for a dvc, right now availability is for animal Kingdom, boardwalk, saratoga springs,, and old key west, what would every one pick, I really want Beach club, but it doesnt show. And do they all have race transpo?

so do any DVC owners have a preference on which villas you stay in for the races, there's a very good chance my sister will be able to exchange her RCI timeshare for a dvc, right now availability is for animal Kingdom, boardwalk, saratoga springs,, and old key west, what would every one pick, I really want Beach club, but it doesnt show. And do they all have race transpo?
Yes, they all have transportation to the expo and to/from the races - there are usually dedicated Run Disney bus stops which aren't necessarily in the same place as the ones for the park buses, but that depends on the resort. I stayed at Animal Kingdom resort for the Food and Wine Half Marathon and as you may know there are 2 DVC sections - Kidani Village and Jambo House; the Run Disney buses picked up from both locations for that event. If you are doing the 10k, the course route does go around the Boardwalk area - so if you opt to stay at Boardwalk or Beach Club, it's a short distance for any spectators in your party to go watch and cheer you on. It's also a relatively short bus ride to the start line from either of those 2 resorts. However unlike some of the other races (e.g. Dark Side Star Wars) you can't walk to the start line for the Princess races. So you may just want to pick your DVC resort based on your own preferences as a bus ride will be required wherever you stay.

Last edited:
For a POT i searched but probably made missed it- how recent does the race have to be? I have run lots of half marathons but not this year.

Has anyone stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge? It seems kind of far from the event start.

No matter what, it's just a bus ride away.

I like a hot tub to soak is great.

So true.

Then again, the hot tub at Bay Lake was lukewarm for way to long for Princess this year. Thankfully a maintenance guy was there for a couple hours trying to get it up to speed.

DH decided he wanted to do it with me. I hope this doesn't turn into a disaster. He's already griping about having to stop for some photos.

Then he gets to run it for time while you run it for fun. :)

Nowadays ALL onsite Disney hotels are host hotels, so they all have transportation to the expo and races. If you're on the monorail line they are only open for the Half for Princess, and if you're at Bay Lake or Contemporary you MUST take the monorail back, as the bus signs LIE and the buses are not slated to go back there. This year, at least.

My cousin and I have stayed at Bay Lake the last two Princesses. It's great, but that lobby fragrance is HARD on me. And when we get home I have to wash all my clothes at least twice to get it out. I have it booked again, but am hoping to change it out at 7 months.

For a POT i searched but probably made missed it- how recent does the race have to be? I have run lots of half marathons but not this year.

From the rundisney confirmation email...

If participating in the Half Marathon race and you believe you will finish in 2:45 hours or less, you can enter/update your proof of time information at https://myevents.active.com/runDisney until November 14, 2017.

Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race reflecting results after February 1, 2016

When will we know who the Princess is for the 2018 Disney Princess Half Marathon weekend? Any ideas?

so do any DVC owners have a preference on which villas you stay in for the races

I really like staying at Saratoga for race weekends due to the proximity to Disney Springs - especially if the kids aren't with us.

For races, I've stayed at the following:
Animal Kingdom Villas
Boardwalk Villas
Villas at Grand Floridian

All resorts have race transportation. Personally, on races that start in EPCOT, I will not stay at a Monorail Resort anymore as my first experience with that was a nightmare. I know others have had better luck though.

I like Boardwalk and Animal Kingdom. Yes Animal Kingdom is a little further away but they are organized and the race transportation is right in front of the lobbies.

So I went ahead, after I registered for the race, and booked a room/tix/dining package through runDisney over the phone. We are in a standard room at Beach Club since it was actually less than Boardwalk, but I realize that may change. I'll be watching for discounts come September. First Disney run, first half, first deluxe, first adult-only trip...pretty darn excited! :)

We really wanted Beach Club too because of the access to Epcot but it was not available for all the nights we needed. We ended up at OKW and it worked out great. It's an older resort so the villas are a bit larger (we had 6 of us in a two bedroom) and close to the race start so the bus ride was short enough we never worried about getting lost. And we took the boat taxi to Disney Springs the next night to get my medal engraved. Plus it was fewer points for OKW. Dining options there not as good- but we only ate lunch the day of the half at OKW- and by "ate" I mean my bffs mother heroically brought back quick service to a villa of sleepy dehydrated women and we fell on it like ravenous wolves.
Highly recommend.
If it wasn't race weekend though I'd have killed to stay at Animal Kingdom.

Last edited:
Joining in! I signed up for the FTC yesterday with my 2 colleagues. One is also running the FTC, and the other is running the 1/2. I ran the Race for the Taste 10K a few years back, and I have always dreamed of doing this event! I will be celebrating 17 years as a breast cancer survivor!! WooHoo!! Now I need to make a Leslie Knope style binder to keep up with my adventure!!

That's awesome. I am also running the FTC my first challenge. I have completed the last two princess 10k's and last years Wine and Dine half marathon.

I will be celebrating 12 years as a breast cancer survivor.

Good luck to everyone in their training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter