2017 TEA Theme Park Attendance report

Hollywood Studios numbers seem approach higher than the park really has the capacity for, so they may be a bit inflated. Volcano Bay was at capacity most of the summer, and for opening at the end of May last year seems to be right up there with the Disney ones, I wouldn't be surprised to see it pass one of them this year.

Yes, the average per day number would approach the capacity, but remember that not all of those people have to be in the park at the same time. So the average daily attendance can be larger then the park capacity.

There were a lot more then "several". I think Pandora supporters were in the minority.

Full on "OMG I can't wait for a land based on Avatar!!!" people were definitely in the minority

I think there were a lot of doubters and a lot of people that said "Even if I didn't love the movie, James Cameron and Joe Rohde working together deserve the benefit of the doubt to make something cool"

Yes, the average per day number would approach the capacity, but remember that not all of those people have to be in the park at the same time. So the average daily attendance can be larger then the park capacity.

and I bet there were a lot of people that did 1/2 day at DHS

No one has mentioned how this is good for Disney but bad for visitors. I really think that attendance going up in parks that don't have much new to offer yet is bad news. I hate big crowds though.
Keep in mind big crowd numbers doesn’t necessarily translate to more crowded per month. If that was the case Christmas week should be a normal week. At the very least a million visitors come from those few days alone
Just wait until Super Nintendo Land opens at Universal. It's going to be a game changer, even more than Harry Potter.
Nintendo does not have the type of fan base Potter does. It’ll be a game changer in Japan but if you’re expecting a Potter-like boost for Orlando when it comes whenever universal actually decides what gate to put it in, you’re in for something else
If you meant quality and not crowds, oh. Not going to lie Fast and Furious Supercharged killed my hopes for Nintendo seeing how much of a dumpster fire that was. The patents for Nintendo left me underwhelmed because it was classic universal, I believe new screen patents and a new type of glasses. Yes technically screens should be more forgivable for a video game themed attraction but not, assuming its studios, when the rest of the park is filled with 9 screen based rides?
Agreed, and even some Pandora doubters still remain. I have been a fan of this land since long before it opened.
Just adding on to my post from earlier because I noticed a typo, thought of something on interpretation and I didn’t want to edit it: the day I became a pandora fan was sometime in 2014 when the first aerial photo of the groundbreaking was revealed. I immediately went to google maps to compare since camp Minnie Mickey was still there. The land set aside was huge! That gave me hope in the land. One for seeing it was actually going through since it was announced in 2011 and seeing how big it was going to be. I became a pandora junkie after seeing it in person

Full on "OMG I can't wait for a land based on Avatar!!!" people were definitely in the minority

I think there were a lot of doubters and a lot of people that said "Even if I didn't love the movie, James Cameron and Joe Rohde working together deserve the benefit of the doubt to make something cool"

For me, being very forthright, gave the highest weight (story/land/visuals) to the soundtrack. I remember sitting on our deck at OKW, playing the soundtrack, and thinking there is no way I couldn't enjoy it. Maybe this is what the IP Imagineers do....make the team listen (eyes closed) to the soundtrack(s) over and over until they feel absorbed.

Keep in mind big crowd numbers doesn’t necessarily translate to more crowded per month. If that was the case Christmas week should be a normal week. At the very least a million visitors come from those few days alone

Nintendo does not have the type of fan base Potter does. It’ll be a game changer in Japan but if you’re expecting a Potter-like boost for Orlando when it comes whenever universal actually decides what gate to put it in, you’re in for something else
If you meant quality and not crowds, oh. Not going to lie Fast and Furious Supercharged killed my hopes for Nintendo seeing how much of a dumpster fire that was. The patents for Nintendo left me underwhelmed because it was classic universal, I believe new screen patents and a new type of glasses. Yes technically screens should be more forgivable for a video game themed attraction but not, assuming its studios, when the rest of the park is filled with 9 screen based rides?

Just adding on to my post from earlier because I noticed a typo, thought of something on interpretation and I didn’t want to edit it: the day I became a pandora fan was sometime in 2014 when the first aerial photo of the groundbreaking was revealed. I immediately went to google maps to compare since camp Minnie Mickey was still there. The land set aside was huge! That gave me hope in the land. One for seeing it was actually going through since it was announced in 2011 and seeing how big it was going to be. I became a pandora junkie after seeing it in person

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I'm willing to bet more people in the USA have played a Mario game than read a Harry Potter book. Nintendo spans multiple generations. I'm 39 and have played Nintendo games since I was a kid. My kids (ages 10-13) are also super excited for this.

There are also rumors now that the possible 3rd gate will be heavily focused on Nintendo. If Universal can put the effort and design into this as they did Harry Potter, I think it will be a game changer.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I'm willing to bet more people in the USA have played a Mario game than read a Harry Potter book. Nintendo spans multiple generations. I'm 39 and have played Nintendo games since I was a kid. My kids (ages 10-13) are also super excited for this.

There are also rumors now that the possible 3rd gate will be heavily focused on Nintendo. If Universal can put the effort and design into this as they did Harry Potter, I think it will be a game changer.

I agree that more people have played a Mario game than read a Harry Potter book but the Potter fan base is a million times more rabid than for Nintendo. Most people play video games but it doesn't go beyond turning off the power switch. Potter fans live for that world. My wife was just about brought to tears walking around Diagon Alley.

I agree that more people have played a Mario game than read a Harry Potter book but the Potter fan base is a million times more rabid than for Nintendo. Most people play video games but it doesn't go beyond turning off the power switch. Potter fans live for that world. My wife was just about brought to tears walking around Diagon Alley.
Amen. Nintendo has more players but Potter has more passionate fans. Star Wars is the only franchise I can think of that has both casuals and hardcore fans just as excited for things. Potter is the close second

Just wait until Super Nintendo Land opens at Universal. It's going to be a game changer, even more than Harry Potter.
Think your over estimating Nintendo's popularity, not even close to ps4 or xbox, games traditionally do not convert well to other media.
Jp is an overlay of an exsisting ride, harry potters popularity is already waning, the new francises are not great at best. Honestly think the game changer is star wars land.

Think your over estimating Nintendo's popularity, not even close to ps4 or xbox, games traditionally do not convert well to other media.
Jp is an overlay of an exsisting ride, harry potters popularity is already waning, the new francises are not great at best. Honestly think the game changer is star wars land.
Potter still does very well. Nintendo is something for multiple generations and works well internationally.

The strength of the Nintendo IP has little to do with how many consoles they currently sell, it's about the how recognizable the characters are. Even non-games will be familiar with the iconic Nintendo characters.

Nintendo is a bigger ip than Potter I think anyway. Because it spans generations and how well it does worldwide. I can’t imagine what Nintendo will mean for universal in Japan. Nintendo also will help Unversal in capturing the under 10 market.

What I really love about Disney is sharing those experiences I had as kid with my kids watching my mom and dad do that with her grandkids. Nintendo will give that to Unversal so many of us grew up playing those games then played them with our kids now we can go together to and experience these things at a theme park I’m sold.

Not surprised by the numbers for HS. If you do EVERYTHING each park has to offer (not counting specially priced tours), you will end up spending more time at HS than you could at AK, unless you intentionally get into a 4 hour line for FOP (as opposed to FP, RD, or end of day).

Not surprised by the numbers for HS. If you do EVERYTHING each park has to offer (not counting specially priced tours), you will end up spending more time at HS than you could at AK, unless you intentionally get into a 4 hour line for FOP (as opposed to FP, RD, or end of day).
I disagree very much. If you do everything at AK you would take up a full day if not longer. The shows, animal trails, rides, etc.

If Universal builds a Nintendo based park/land, hopefully Disney will one up them with Intellivision Land! The Land of Intelligent Television.

:rotfl:(I laugh, but that's what we had when I was a child)

Last edited:
I disagree very much. If you do everything at AK you would take up a full day if not longer. The shows, animal trails, rides, etc.

Despite only having 4/5 'attractions', it is impossible to do all rides, shows (including Fantasmic), meet & greets, eat two meals, go to the restroom, etc. in a 9-9 day at HS. And, when you throw in Toy Story Land, it will be that much more impossible.

Despite only having 4/5 'attractions', it is impossible to do all rides, shows (including Fantasmic), meet & greets, eat two meals, go to the restroom, etc. in a 9-9 day at HS. And, when you throw in Toy Story Land, it will be that much more impossible.
I never said DHS wasn’t a full day park if you do everything. You brought up that AK isn’t a full day park unless you wait 4 hours for FoP which isn’t true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter