(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not new. That's been the policy since they started renting the Cabanas.

I am NEVER this confident about anything GF related:goodvibes, but I know for a fact that up until very recently you absolutely had to be a guest of the GF to rent or use a cabana:cool2:. I once saw a family be asked to leave and I also have seen people turned away that they couldn't rent the cabana, both families were also informed that they couldn't stay at the pool either. I felt terrible for them, but the story was that they booked the cabana after booking the GF and before arriving to WDW they switched hotels. I guess back in the day they didn't catch stuff like that. The other family didn't know they couldn't pool hop and thought they could go swimming at the GF after breakfast at 1900 Park fare.

I am sorry if you meant the Oasis Patio, I know nothing about that yet. I am not sure if it would offer enough shade for my daughter.

I am NEVER this confident about anything GF related:goodvibes, but I know for a fact that up until very recently you absolutely had to be a guest of the GF to rent or use a cabana:cool2:. I once saw a family be asked to leave and I also have seen people turned away that they couldn't rent the cabana, both families were also informed that they couldn't stay at the pool either. I felt terrible for them, but the story was that they booked the cabana after booking the GF and before arriving to WDW they switched hotels. I guess back in the day they didn't catch stuff like that. The other family didn't know they couldn't pool hop and thought they could go swimming at the GF after breakfast at 1900 Park fare.

I am sorry if you meant the Oasis Patio, I know nothing about that yet. I am not sure if it would offer enough shade for my daughter.

I also would have sworn that when we rented a cabana at the GF a couple of years ago and a cabana at the Poly back when they had the regular cabanas they told me I had to be a guest of those resorts, and did check. I also feel that if this is actually their policy, (which I don’t particularly like), then they should treat the YC/BC ones the same.

We like the Oasis patios, but there are times of day when the sun is low In the sky that there is not shade under them. However, at least that’s also when the sun isn’t quite as bad and shade isn’t quite as necessary.

I am NEVER this confident about anything GF related:goodvibes, but I know for a fact that up until very recently you absolutely had to be a guest of the GF to rent or use a cabana:cool2:.

I also would have sworn that when we rented a cabana at the GF a couple of years ago and a cabana at the Poly back when they had the regular cabanas they told me I had to be a guest of those resorts, and did check.

Only stating personal experience going back since they opened. Also since the cabanas have been listed on the WDW website, the verbiage has always said you have to be a registered guest at any WDW resort to rent. I too have seen an uninformed CM tell a guest they had to be a guest of the GF or CR only to be corrected by the recreation manager.

I was always shocked by this policy which is why I did so much digging years ago. I don't think it's right. But it's their pool, they make the rules.

Only stating personal experience going back since they opened. Also since the cabanas have been listed on the WDW website, the verbiage has always said you have to be a registered guest at any WDW resort to rent. I too have seen an uninformed CM tell a guest they had to be a guest of the GF or CR only to be corrected by the recreation manager.

I was always shocked by this policy which is why I did so much digging years ago. I don't think it's right. But it's their pool, they make the rules.

Maybe I just assumed, or maybe when they said WDW resort I assumed they meant that specific resort? :confused3 IDK and never will.

It doesn’t make sense with their strict no pool hopping policy. It’s odd.

So, I don't have experience with the GF cabanas particularly, but we booked the Poly shade structure for most days of our trip last summer (we were staying at Poly resort) and every time I called to purchase another patio day or check availability of same, it was a nightmare. Every CM I talked to had NO IDEA of the rules, the scheduling, etc. I was actually booked for a day that come to find out I wasn't booked for later. Long story. We also had a larger family (7 adults and 2 small children (infant and 4) and we were charged for two patios once and I called back to get a refund for one as they tried to tell me we were too many people for one shade structure. As I tried to explain at 4 months out I had NO idea who would be utilizing the shade structure amenity as there were naps needed with children and we were all on different schedules as well as being in the pool too. I was soo worried that what if one day there was 7 of us in the shade structure for any amount of time - would I be in trouble? Anyway, what I learned from the experience was that the recreation staff that manned the shade structures at the Poly were AWESOME and seemed to NEVER care how many of us were there at one time, though in all honesty, I don't think there was ever more than 6 of us in the patio at once anyhow, but my fears were relieved once there and the resort recreation staff is sooo much more knowledgable than the CM's on the phone when booking same and the cabana (shade structure in our case at the Poly) was soo worth every penny!

Got home yesterday from our first stay at the Villas at Grand Floridian- WOW. Absolutely loved our stay here. We were at Riverside for 5 nights then checked into VGF for 4, and it was by far my favourite part of the stay. Room was lovely, bright, clean and beds were comfortable. Not sure I liked the sliding doors in the bathroom much, but the big walk in shower was nice. Loved the Mary Poppins themed lobby of the Villas. Grounds were beautiful, pools looked lovely but it was a bit cold to enjoy them. Pina colava from the beach pool bar was excellent. Loved the resort monorail to MK, though getting the monorail to Epcot was a bit of a trek. Buses were fine for AK and HS.

Overall a fantastic stay, despite a few minor issues that were resolved. (Luggage taking a while to come up and refrigerated items not being delivered from Riverside, a accident on the Teacups)

So, I don't have experience with the GF cabanas particularly, but we booked the Poly shade structure for most days of our trip last summer (we were staying at Poly resort) and every time I called to purchase another patio day or check availability of same, it was a nightmare. Every CM I talked to had NO IDEA of the rules, the scheduling, etc. I was actually booked for a day that come to find out I wasn't booked for later. Long story. We also had a larger family (7 adults and 2 small children (infant and 4) and we were charged for two patios once and I called back to get a refund for one as they tried to tell me we were too many people for one shade structure. As I tried to explain at 4 months out I had NO idea who would be utilizing the shade structure amenity as there were naps needed with children and we were all on different schedules as well as being in the pool too. I was soo worried that what if one day there was 7 of us in the shade structure for any amount of time - would I be in trouble? Anyway, what I learned from the experience was that the recreation staff that manned the shade structures at the Poly were AWESOME and seemed to NEVER care how many of us were there at one time, though in all honesty, I don't think there was ever more than 6 of us in the patio at once anyhow, but my fears were relieved once there and the resort recreation staff is sooo much more knowledgable than the CM's on the phone when booking same and the cabana (shade structure in our case at the Poly) was soo worth every penny!

It's sad that the CMs booking things either have no knowledge at all or have incorrect information :sad2:. With that said, glad the recreation staff was great and you didn't have any trouble :).

Got home yesterday from our first stay at the Villas at Grand Floridian- WOW. Absolutely loved our stay here. We were at Riverside for 5 nights then checked into VGF for 4, and it was by far my favourite part of the stay. Room was lovely, bright, clean and beds were comfortable. Not sure I liked the sliding doors in the bathroom much, but the big walk in shower was nice. Loved the Mary Poppins themed lobby of the Villas. Grounds were beautiful, pools looked lovely but it was a bit cold to enjoy them. Pina colava from the beach pool bar was excellent. Loved the resort monorail to MK, though getting the monorail to Epcot was a bit of a trek. Buses were fine for AK and HS.

Overall a fantastic stay, despite a few minor issues that were resolved. (Luggage taking a while to come up and refrigerated items not being delivered from Riverside, a accident on the Teacups)

Thanks for your review. Glad you had a great time and enjoyed your first VGF stay :wizard:.

Maybe I just assumed, or maybe when they said WDW resort I assumed they meant that specific resort? :confused3 IDK and never will.

It doesn’t make sense with their strict no pool hopping policy. It’s odd.

So I just called to see if a Full day cabana rental became available for the day we booked it for (they only had a half day available at the time I called) and the lady treated me as if she was doing a full scale FBI check on me. I told her I already had a rental confirmation number but she didn’t want that. She wanted my hotel reservation number because she “needed proof I was staying at the GF.” Also asked for name, address, phone and email address!!! I was waiting for her to ask me my SS number. I’m booking a cabana, not your most expensive suite!! o_O :laughing:

So I just called to see if a Full day cabana rental became available for the day we booked it for (they only had a half day available at the time I called) and the lady treated me as if she was doing a full scale FBI check on me. I told her I already had a rental confirmation number but she didn’t want that. She wanted my hotel reservation number because she “needed proof I was staying at the GF.” Also asked for name, address, phone and email address!!! I was waiting for her to ask me my SS number. I’m booking a cabana, not your most expensive suite!! o_O :laughing:

Well that lady and the CM from DSS that I talked to obviously are interpreting something differently!! It’s particularly weird since you already had a half day reservation. Pretty much says she didn’t trust whomever scheduled your first one to have checked appropriately. Maybe she’s going rogue because she doesn’t agree with the any resort policy either and thinks she’ll change it singlehandedly :rotfl2: It’s just all a little odd. Right hand, meet left hand.

Well that lady and the CM from DSS that I talked to obviously are interpreting something differently!! It’s particularly weird since you already had a half day reservation. Pretty much says she didn’t trust whomever scheduled your first one to have checked appropriately. Maybe she’s going rogue because she doesn’t agree with the any resort policy either and thinks she’ll change it singlehandedly :rotfl2: It’s just all a little odd. Right hand, meet left hand.

I’ll never understand what goes on there. Definitely makes me laugh, though. :rolleyes:

Has the same experience last year booking the Poly patios. It was a nightmare every time I called. Never felt confident that the answers I was given "booked" or "available" was correct too!

Morning Everyone!!

I don't know how I feel about SWGE opening a month before we arrive this year!!!:confused3 I wasn't planning on a crazy trip, but I am also kind of excited to see what it all looks like. We still haven't gone on SDDash yet, HS was still crazy this January. We were unfortunately there the week after Pandora opened, but I am sure this is going to be 100% crazier!!!! Any pointers?:worship:

Also, for everyone here that loves the smell of GF. We all kind of decided that Bath & Body Works Eucalyptus rain smells pretty close to that fantastic scent....well, its back in stock for summer. Going today to load up!!!!:cool1:

Morning Everyone!!

I don't know how I feel about SWGE opening a month before we arrive this year!!!:confused3 I wasn't planning on a crazy trip, but I am also kind of excited to see what it all looks like. We still haven't gone on SDDash yet, HS was still crazy this January. We were unfortunately there the week after Pandora opened, but I am sure this is going to be 100% crazier!!!! Any pointers?:worship:

Also, for everyone here that loves the smell of GF. We all kind of decided that Bath & Body Works Eucalyptus rain smells pretty close to that fantastic scent....well, its back in stock for summer. Going today to load up!!!!:cool1:
Hi Wishes...just got excited when I read your news about the Eucalyptus Rain coming back! Have you actually seen it in the store or do you order online? I agree...it does capture the GF scent!
As for the other news about SWGE, I'm not so excited. I'm sure that all the hype about crazy crowds will come to pass, but hoping that what some posters are assuming about discounts being harder to find will NOT be true!
Oh, and I haven't ridden SDD either, nor even actually been in the new Land itself. Plan on doing so in early May.

Hi Wishes...just got excited when I read your news about the Eucalyptus Rain coming back! Have you actually seen it in the store or do you order online? I agree...it does capture the GF scent!
As for the other news about SWGE, I'm not so excited. I'm sure that all the hype about crazy crowds will come to pass, but hoping that what some posters are assuming about discounts being harder to find will NOT be true!
Oh, and I haven't ridden SDD either, nor even actually been in the new Land itself. Plan on doing so in early May.

Hi Grannyminnie:wave:

Yes, it was in the store and I saw it on-line too. I was on-line that they also have a room spray this year. I was going today to grab a bunch of stuff with my new coupons but I ran out of time, maybe next week.:car:

I don't exactly understand what you said...You think discounts will offered or won't be offered? I actually have a great discount for our trip but unfortunately its because our last trip housekeeping NEVER came no matter how many times I called. I was disappointed then but I have a great discount for now so I guess its all good. You have to love that even when the GF or WDW are wrong they make things right.pixiedust:

The new land is adorable, my DH and I watched the army guys for so long. They are amazing and funny, they do a drum session kind of like a battle of the drums. They joke around with everyone around them. Extremely talented and they loved and appreciated the crowd!!! As for the rides we couldn't get on any, not even TSM that we had a FPass for, it broke down and they informed us after a while that it was going to hours before it was up and running again. Actually, during our trip in January it happened to us almost everyday. To the point that AK had to give us back our day on our MBs because we only went in for Pandora. They were great, they applied the day back trusting us that we were leaving, so we could come back the next day to go on the ride.:goodvibes

Have a great trip in May, we went late May last year so we would be there for anniversary (6/2). Actually we tried to do this 2 or 3 years and the weather was so bad every time, so we gave up..:rotfl2:Thank goodness it wasn't like that on my honeymoon:cool1:

What I meant was, I'm afraid that with the Star Wars opening, Disney will be so confident of people booking for it that they will cut back on discounts. I plan on booking with a good discount and am wondering if you have gotten the same, perhaps in August?
I still haven't experienced FOP and will do that in early May.

Morning Everyone!!

I don't know how I feel about SWGE opening a month before we arrive this year!!!:confused3 I wasn't planning on a crazy trip, but I am also kind of excited to see what it all looks like. We still haven't gone on SDDash yet, HS was still crazy this January.

I've been reading a lot of posts from people who are disappointed in the earlier opening of SWGE. I don't have any pointers, but I hope you have a great trip and hope you're able to get on SDD :).

From what I've been seeing, it seems like a lot of people have booked in anticipation of SWGE opening, so like you, I hope that doesn't deter discounts too much :(.

I haven't either, but it's at the top of my list for a FP for my June trip. A friend of mine told me it's awesome and is worth the wait if you can't get a FP, but she never said just how long she'd wait....lol. I hope you are able to try it in May :goodvibes.

What I meant was, I'm afraid that with the Star Wars opening, Disney will be so confident of people booking for it that they will cut back on discounts. I plan on booking with a good discount and am wondering if you have gotten the same, perhaps in August?

FOP was the BEST ride I was ever on! I don't think its worth waiting on that line for hours, but hopefully you have or can get a FP.:yay:

I've been reading a lot of posts from people who are disappointed in the earlier opening of SWGE. I don't have any pointers, but I hope you have a great trip and hope you're able to get on SDD :).

From what I've been seeing, it seems like a lot of people have booked in anticipation of SWGE opening, so like you, I hope that doesn't deter discounts too much :(.

I haven't either, but it's at the top of my list for a FP for my June trip. A friend of mine told me it's awesome and is worth the wait if you can't get a FP, but she never said just how long she'd wait....lol. I hope you are able to try it in May :goodvibes.

Thanks, I think we'll just hope for the best, at least it's a month in from the open. We were there the week Pandora opened and honestly the crowds and confusion was just in that area, we were able to walk around the area and check it out but not into the store which was fine. Hopefully it will be like that for SWGE, I would love to just check out the area with no pressure of going on the ride. We just did that in Toy Story in January.

Like I said to Grannyminnie FOP was beyond anything Disney has to this point. My whole family was speechless when we got off the ride and my kids don't make a big deal about anything...their too cool for that.:cool1::rotfl2:

Morning Everyone!!

I love that scent, and it does smell like GF!
Hi to the GF peeps! I haven’t been on the WDW boards in awhile as no trips planned. Have 2 trips planned to Universal though. Going over to the dark side, lol. WDW price increases are crazy. Staying at Universal deluxe for under $250/night.
But to get my Disney fix in going to DL in August, so I hear you Wishes! I’m worried about the crowds for SWGE too! It opens earlier at DL, but I’m sure August will still be crazy. I’m going with low expectations!

Thanks, I think we'll just hope for the best, at least it's a month in from the open. We were there the week Pandora opened and honestly the crowds and confusion was just in that area, we were able to walk around the area and check it out but not into the store which was fine. Hopefully it will be like that for SWGE, I would love to just check out the area with no pressure of going on the ride. We just did that in Toy Story in January.

Like I said to Grannyminnie FOP was beyond anything Disney has to this point. My whole family was speechless when we got off the ride and my kids don't make a big deal about anything...their too cool for that.:cool1::rotfl2:

That's a good attitude to have going in! DHS will be crazy, but I'm sure you'll have a great time! Thanks for your input on FOP. I hope we can get a FP for it, but if not, we'll play it by ear with wait times.....if the line isn't too terribly bad, we'll wait...otherwise, we'll try to catch it on another trip ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter