10 days in and around the Vancouver area

That sounds like a perfect plan. Is the North Vancouver area as suggested above en route to Whistler?

It is, but since you're coming via Horseshoe Bay, it's backtracking. When I say "another city" I don't mean a large amount of travel. They're connected (by a couple of bridges), and are considered part of the general Vancouver area.

We spent 9 days in Vancouver/Salt Spring Island last summer. We loved Vancouver but absolutely loved Salt Spring Island. Their Saturday market was wonderful. It is not your typical island but we loved it. We are from NYC and loved the down time on Salt Spring Island - very slow paced. The food was some of the best food we have eaten on vacation - so fresh and absolutely loved the Bed and breakfast that we stayed at. If you go to Salt Spring Island you have to stay at the Collins B&B. The owners are lovely.

In Vancouver we did a food tour that was so good. It was Vancouver Foodie Tours - Gastronomic Gastown Tour. We also did a whale watching tour to Vancouver Island which we also enjoyed.

We did Fly over Canada our family really enjoyed it. It was just like Soarin! We also did the Olympic Experience at Richmond Olympic Oval. Our kids really enjoyed the simulated sports.

Ask if you have any other specific questions.

I’m thinking of something like this: 3 nights Vancouver, ferry with car over to Victoria for 3 nights making some day trips from there, Nanaimo 1 night, than early morning ferry from Horseshoe Bay than Whistler for 2 nights, Vancouver last night and fly out the following morning. Should we do 2 nights Victoria and 2 nights Nanaimo? Should we cut out Nanaimo all together and just add the day someplace else?

Many thanks to all of you!

It depends what you're planning to see in/near Nanaimo. The Parksville area (close by) is nice (you could always stay at Tigh-Na-Mara, which is known for its luxurious spa!)

My thought was to stay in Nanaimo for 1 night so that we’d get an early ferry next morning en route to Whistler.

I’m hoping you kind folks can help me out with something. We will be renting a car to have with us on Vancouver Island. I’m having trouble getting my mind around the logistics.

Should we fly in, stay south of the airport for 1 night, pick up and rental car in the morning for trip over?

Our plan is two spend 4 nights in Vancouver, either at the beginning or end of trip or even broken up, 4 nights on Vancouver Island and 2 nights in Whistler.

I’d hate to have to backtrack past the airport to pick up a rental car and get to the ferry if we’re already staying downtown. I’m inclined to think we should save all of our Vancouver days for the end...but I’m just not sure.

If you’re going from downtown Vancouver to the ferries you pretty much have to go by the airport so it’s really not that out of the way. What time of day do your flights get in? It might make sense to get the car that day, stay near the airport (tons of hotels nearby) then go to Victoria in the morning. Then after Whistler do what you want in North Vancouver, drop off bags at your hotel, return car to the airport and take the sky train back downtown.

Perfect! We get in around 1 p.m. after a very long trip from the East Coast. I like the idea of saving the bulk of Vancouver for the end of the trip, returning the car and just using public transportation to get around.

Thank once again for your kindness.

You can also look into flying from Vancouver to Victoria. Harbour Air is the seaplane that takes about 35 minutes. Helijet is the helicopter service. They are pricier than the ferry for sure, but quicker and it's a really cool view. They both fly from downtown Vancouver. But otherwise, your plan and what @prairiesarah mentioned make good sense. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter