1 Bedroom Options

kes601

DIS Veteran
So next summer we are probably going to go against our best judgement and go down the 1 bedroom rabbit hole.

We would be able to afford the following:
  • SSR Standard
  • SSR Preferred
  • OKW
  • BWV Standard (although I know this won't be available for over 7 days at 7 months)
  • AKV Standard (we would pick Jambo as the standard views there look nicer than at Kidani)
We will be looking for a relaxing trip where we can recover from this school year (my wife teaches and I am an IT Director at a school). Which would you pick and for what reasons?

ETA: It is just the two of us going, nobody else.

Last edited:
So next summer we are probably going to go against our best judgement and go down the 1 bedroom rabbit hole.

We would be able to afford the following:
  • SSR Standard
  • SSR Preferred
  • OKW
  • BWV Standard (although I know this won't be available for over 7 days at 7 months)
  • AKV Standard (we would pick Jambo as the standard views there look nicer than at Kidani)
We will be looking for a relaxing trip where we can recover from this school year (my wife teaches and I am an IT Director at a school). Which would you pick and for what reasons?
For a relaxing trip that is light on the parks, I would choose OKW. The balconies are huge compared to other resorts and the villas are very roomy. Plus, it hasn't been that long since it was fully renovated.

Second choice would be SSR. Just finished full renovation and it's a short walk to DS for a wide choice of restaurants, bars and shopping.

SSR Standard, because refurbished rooms rock.

If you had kids with you, Animal Kingdom easy.
We were upgraded 3 summers ago from CBR to AKL Savannah and ended up in a refurbished room. My wife loved it. I was sick as a dog (didn't realize how much so until we got home and I had a 104 temp) so I can't really remember much of it. If the Savannah view were a few points less then I would have put it on the list as well.

BWV standard 1 bedrooms are available more than you think at 7 months. Just depends on time of year. Summer is generally a slow time of year for DVC.
Thanks. Will keep this in mind. It's going to be a 14 night stay ending just before July 4. That's why I had my doubts on it being available.....it's also the "cheapest" of any of the 1 bedrooms for that period so it would be great if it was available.

Just chiming in to say that you will love the luxury of the one bedroom, no matter where you end up

I always book a BWV SV 1 bedroom for the two of us and hat's where we stay most of the time. It's our home resort and we love it there. I do book at 11 months, but there are often standard view 1 bedrooms available at 7 months during the summer months. I only book studios for 2-3 nights if we want to stay near the MK as part of a split stay or if we want to experience a new resort.

Enjoy!

Any of your options would be amazing. We love OKW due to the size of the rooms, but with only 2 of you, that might not matter as much! Our favorite is AKL, so we'd always look to head there (we find it to be very peaceful, great pools, and the best dining options). If you do SSR with the expectation of walking to DS, the preferred rooms are a more manageable walk. If you plan to do park visits that include EPCOT and/or HS, you absolutely cannot beat the BW location.

So there - absolutely no help with your decision! But you can't actually make a wrong decision! Enjoy the trip. And beware - once you go 1BR, you will have trouble going back to the studios!!

Just stayed at BW Garden View 1-bed and Kidani Savanna 1 bed (August). Both were wonderful. However, we did all 4 parks over the 7 days we were there. It was less "relaxing" because we have 2 little kids and they wanted to go to the pool and do all the fun stuff, of course. It was amazing and we also hadn't traveled since Oct 2019 so it was just a great mental break.

We were very impressed by the room at AKL - spacious, 2 full bathrooms in the 1-bedroom. I mean you could definitely just enjoy the views and walking around between Kidani and Jambo.

BW was great due to location. Walk to Epcot and we used boat to Hollywood Studios. As just 2 adults you would probably enjoy Epcot - I mean even with our 2 little kids we were there 2 days and could spend even more time there. We just love it, but some people are put off by the construction. Didn't bother us a bit. You could also spend time wandering the Boardwalk and other resorts nearby like Swan and Dolphin or Yacht/Beach Club - especially for dining options.

Those would be my votes, but I am also biased because we hadn't left our house generally speaking since Spring 2020, so just being in Disney was magical all by itself. We could have stayed anywhere and felt the "magic." :rotfl2:

I would go with BLT or AK-K. That extra bathroom could be very helpful. Especially after 5 or 6 days of Florida water.

Those are our prime go-to resorts for lower points. Love them all! IMHO, for 14 days, I do 7 days each at 2 resorts. They have such a different vibe, it's like 2 different vacations. I'd do OKW/SSR/BWV and AKV. I agree AKV standard Jambo views are very nice, so many places to view animals, we never pay extra points for SAV view. The SSR renovations are great-just stayed there. I'd save the points and just get a SSR standard room.

IMHO, for 14 days, I do 7 days each at 2 resorts. They have such a different vibe, it's like 2 different vacations. I'd do OKW/SSR/BWV and AKV. I agree AKV standard Jambo views are very nice. The SSR renovations are great-just stayed there. I'd save the points and just get a standard room.
We did a 3 way split this past summer and decided that while it was nice to try different resorts we want to just have a place to crash and call home w/o having to pack up in the middle of the trip. So a split is likely out this time around.

I have not stayed at OKW so I can't really comment on that, but I love SSR for the times when we are not going to do parks during the trip, at least for a few nights. Maybe consider a split stay?? If you can get BW SV for a few nights, and then go with SSR Standard or OKW for the rest???

ETA: I see you mentioned you did the split so not a choice this time.

Your main mention of "relaxing" tells me all I need to know. OKW turtle pond is exactly that. The boat to Springs at your own pace. Epcot resorts are nice, but don't scream "relaxing" in any way for us. Same with MK resorts. We just weren't fans of AKL either time we stayed there. Trying SSR split with OKW in December and hope SSR is as "relaxing' as OKW. Going to be hard to equal that laid back vibe.

We did a 3 way split this past summer
3 way split would be nuts! In that case, my vote is SSR: newly renovated, good food court, good pools with bar service at all of them, Spa, and walkable to DS. I love AKV, but 2 weeks is a long time there, esp as you have to drive/bus fairly far to get to other WDW resorts and DS. OKW has limited quick service food options and is much farther to walk to DS if you aren't taking the boat. BWV only has a bakery for breakfast options. BCV next door has a more limited quick service menus than SSR. If you're going into DHS/EP, then walkability to parks might tip towards BWV, but I don't care for BVW pools. I doubt you'll get standard for 14 days.

I actually would pick AKV Kidani. The rooms are nicer and I find the resort much more relaxing. We always request near the zaZu elevator which means Jambi is a very short walk away best of both worlds

I'd choose OKW. We did OKW with our DGDs, then 2 years later we all did Kidani, figuring they might prefer that, but everyone agreed they preferred OKW. Sitting out on the balcony around the table eating a meal can't be beat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter