Zebra domes???

I believe it is a dome of chocolate cake that is cover in white chocolate with dark chocolate stripes drizzled on top.

My cake was very dry. I felt that it looked better than it tasted. I may have gotten one that was old.

Lori

I had some last month when I ate at Boma. Zebra domes are like a chocolate mocha mousse covered in white chocolate and black zebra stripes. I thought they were yummy, but there were a lot of other good desserts, too, at Boma. I really liked the coconut tiramisu and mini pineapple cheesecakes. I tried a little bit of each ;)

Gail~
I can answer this one for you. The are much smaller than you would think from all of the descriptions here. I was surprised at that. They are about the size of a silver dollar pancake in diameter.

They are white chocolate with dark chocolate striped on top to look like a zebra. Inside is soft mousse. No cake that I can remember. It did have a thin crust. It was more like a fancy chocolate.

Enjoy, they are yummy! But like the previous poster said, it was hard to resist the variety of desserts at Boma. I think I tried them all!!

Joanne

p.s.-GO SOX!!

We are going to dinner at Boma in July, so we are going to have
to judge for ourselves. Accoeding to these boards, zebra domes are one of the best desserts offered. ::MickeyMo

I will be having dinner at Bomas in just 6 shorts days! :Pinkbounc I've been on a serious diet for two months and the thought of zebra domes is the one thing getting me through!

Hi,

They are really good. Enjoy!

Allison an associate

You can buy zebra domes in a package with mini chocolate mousse cakes at the Mara if you're not planning on dinner at BOMA. Just a tip, and for the record, I think the chocolate mousse cake things are way better than zebra domes (which are good, but the chocolate ones are GREAT). I wish the Mara would put the chocolate cakes and pineapple cheese cakes in a package to sell. That would be heaven!!

princess: Shelly

Here's the recipe if you want:

ZEBRA COFFEE DOME

Yield: 16 servings

Ingredients:

1 pound Milk Chocolate
2 ounces Espresso Coffee
5 Egg Yolks
2 1/2 ounces Sugar
6 sheets Gelatin
4 ounces Kahlua Liqueur
4 cups Heavy Cream
6 ounces White Chocolate Ganache
2 ounces Dark Chocolate Ganache

chocolate sponge cake for bottoms

Method:

1. Melt milk chocolate.
2. Whip heavy cream to soft peaks.
3. Mix yolks with sugar.
4. Soften gelatin leaves in cold water.
5. Mix gelatin with Kahlua and coffee. Set bowl over hot water bath to dissolve the gelatin.
6. Fold 1/3 of whipped cream into the chocolate.
7. Add the yolks, then the gelatin mixture.
8. Fold in the rest of the cream.
9. Pour mousse in flexipan domes almost to the top.
10. Place sponge circle on top. Leave in the freezer to set.
11. Once hard, unmold and place in glazing racks.
12. Make white chocolate ganache and chocolate ganache.
13. Put chocolate ganache in a pastry bag. Ladle white chocolate ganache to cover each dome. Simultaneously, pipe a stripe design of chocolate ganache over the dome.
14. Refrigerate to allow the glaze to set.
15. Decorate the bottom edge with coffee crunch.
16. Place a chocolate covered coffee bean on the center of each dome.

paras4ri:
1) We LOVED Boma's.....excellent restaurant!
2) I am a chocolate LOVER
3) heard outstanding things about zebra domes (mostly from these boards after asking about them repeatedly)
4) they are smaller than I expected, just like jmcross said
5) they are a little dry, just like pirateofthecarolinas said
6) bottom line....I was disappointed in them (because I had such high expectations)
7) my advice....expect zebra domes to be just an average dessert just like the many, many offerings at Boma and you'll probably enjoy them better
8) don't let any of these reviews (good or bad) deter you from going to Boma's....it is a very, very good restaurant....a wonderful experience for people of ALL ages!!

When we stayed at AKL in May we ordered Zebra Domes from room service. We were a bit surprised by the price because we had seen how small they were at Boma and Mara. Well, assuming they were the same size, DH and I each ordered two. They were much bigger than the ones in Boma and Mara. We couldn't eat them all!

::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo

Keep in mind that I love Boam!
I also think these zebra domes are very over rated! There are other desserts that are much better. They taste like some of the Little Debbie boxed treats. If they sit for a while they get dry. I also think tehy are kind of bland for chocolate dessert. JMO

Originally posted by pirateofthecarolinas
If it's chocolate mocha mousse and not cake then "I KNOW" that I got an old one.:p

Lori
:crazy2:

I like the zebra domes, but some of the other desserts at Boma are better. The chocolate brownies are to die for. DS loved the chocolate chip cookies. The pineapple cheesecakes are wonderful. I like the "fruit pizzas". They are very good and not too rich. One night there was a Marrocan nut roll that was outstanding. I shouldn't have had it with the peanuts and almonds in it, but oh well. It tasted like Baklava. There are also these other cake like domes (I can't remember the name) and I had one the first night and didn't like it...it was darker, but then another night there was a light colored one and it was very good and very moist. The banana bread pudding is very good too. There are also chocolate mousse on dark chocolate that are very good too, but you have to like dark chocolate. There was coconut taramasu almost every night, but I can't eat coconut. The dessert section at breakfast is very yummy too :tongue:

Count me as another disappointed in zebra domes. They were fine, but far from what I was expecting given the hype here.

Chocolate mocha mousse in a white chocolate shell with a circle of sponge cake on the bottom (which was dry for me too). Small - you can get molds for things like this at craft stores and candy supply stores - they are about egg sized. Basically a sort of truffle on top of sponge cake - although truffles are ganache which is heavier (cream and chocolate) and mousse is lighter (whipped cream and chocolate). And about the same size as a large truffle.

I think they'd be better if they weren't on a buffet and were plated in a pool of Rasberry coolie and/or hot fudge.

The best dessert we had at Disney last time was the chocolate bread pudding at Le Cellier. Oh, does Tonga Toast count as dessert?

The caramel apples that people were posting about at MGM were out of this world!!! Also, my dessert at Chefs de France was as wonderful as I remembered too!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter