• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yucky Yeti: What were we thinking?

We refer to it as 'the Yacking Yeti'. We were so hopeful for another indoor dinign experience at AK- we thought it had lovely decor, but the food was like a mall foodcourt meal. Back to Tusker House and Flame Tree for us!

Ohh that's awful! I'm so sorry you had a bad experiance there - ours have never been anything but great :( ! Hopefully the rest of your Disney dining made up for that one bad one :)

Thanks! It was our first meal in our first park of our trip and luckily our subsequent choices were better.

I'm with you. We loved our meal in 2008 (it was the third best meal of our long trip) and we are going back in two months.

Good luck!

Out of all our many trips to the world I think our family would unanimously vote Yuck and Yeti as the worst meal we have ever had at Disney. Seven appys, seven entrees, seven desserts and one kid's meal...and the highlight was probably the soda we had to drink. Really, really awful...

What a shame, especially for 8 people. I hope they revamp their food. Thank goodness for the sodas!

So sorry you had a bad meal experience at Yak n Yeti:sad2:

There's nothing worse than being disappointed with a meal you were looking forward to - is there?

I have read many, many food reviews on these boards :rolleyes1 and one thing is clear - everybody has different experiences and different opinions.

I have had a brilliant experience at one restaurant and then the next time I went it was disappointing.

I'm sad to hear about Yak n Yeti because we had one of our favourite meals there last year. I hope it hasn't changed for the worse as we'd really like to go back.

I admit I haven't had as much experience with authentic asian food as many of you on here - so maybe my standards are lower!:lmao:

Did you have any more positive meal experiences during your time there?

Consistency is such an issue with restaurants in general. It depends on so many things: Who is cooking, what their suppliers send, even the humidity for preparing certain dishes. I hope you have a good experience.

We are VERY lucky to have great Asian restaurants around us. We make it a point to find places that cater to particular ethnic populations and that usually works out well, except when there is too much of a language barrier and I make a fool of myself trying to place an order.

We had a great time at Biergarten. I'd say without question that it was the best meal of the trip. Even the pickier kids in the group left full. We also enjoyed Starring Rolls. I ordered the ham sandwich with ham and a side of ham (if you've seen it, you'll know what I mean) and it was good. Pecos Bill's is always solid and my son enjoyed the heck out of one of the Magic Kingdom's famous turkey legs. We even ate at Universal: Bubba Gump's (meh, not my choice) and Thunder Falls Terrace (we'd do it again).

I'm sorry you had a bad time there! Our experience wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing. First of all, you're lucky the fried rice only tasted really salty! Mine tasted like chemicals! It was soooo gross. Luckily when we ate there my lettuce cups were actually really good, and the Mahi Mahi I ordered was delicious. Unfortunately DH's ribs were dry and gross, and like I said the fried rice tasted like chemicals. I've seen a lot of reviews on here and I know that we just got an off plate of those ribs, because I've seen them look really moist and yummy in people's pics. It stinks that this place has so much inconsistency. Lame! On a brighter note, we did Tusker House buffet for lunch this past trip and we thought it was good. The service was good and the buffet had some nice items. The only problem there is the buffets are pretty expensive if you're paying OOP. which we were. We just don't eat enough to merit a $50 buffet lunch. But it was great to try once!

How absolutely gross that they served you a bowl of chemicals. Seriously, it isn't a difficult dish to make and doesn't need a lot of additives. What are they thinking? Less is more, unless they're working with such bad product that they really need to disguise the taste. It's also a shame about the ribs. They shouldn't let such an obviously bad batch go out for service.

You're not too far from me location-wise, so you know what I mean about how lucky we are with our restaurant choices. The places in Flushing or in the various Brooklyn Chinatowns make fabulous foods at unbelievably low prices. You can have congee or Cantonese dim sum for breakfast, a great Vietnamese banh mi for lunch, and Korean bulgoki for dinner and spend a total of about $25.

I'm now kicking myself because I realize now it was Tusker House we should've gone to.

We refer to it as 'the Yacking Yeti'. We were so hopeful for another indoor dinign experience at AK- we thought it had lovely decor, but the food was like a mall foodcourt meal. Back to Tusker House and Flame Tree for us!

It is so pretty. How sad that the food can't live up to the decor.

Y&Y is run by the same company that runs Rainforest Cafe. Knowing that I certainly wouldn't expect it to measure up to actual Asian restaurants. It's shopping-mall-Asian-for-tourists. Just putting that out there for readers.

I like Y&Y personally.

Sorry to hear you and several other posters have had such poor experiences at Y&Y. We love the place, but our choices have been different than most of what I've read here, maybe that is the difference.:confused:

We usually order the dim sum basket (not the most incredible dumplings ever, but decent), maybe the egg rolls and the lo mein. Split a pineapple wontons dessert. Last August, we took DD's friend along, and I think she had the tamarind chicken, which we all sampled - it was good. We never order the fried rice.

BTW - my son's girlfriend is Chinese American, and we rarely find anything at any Asian restaurant that her family eats regularly, lol, even the ones run by Asians. The same with the Mexican American families we know. I never expect "authentic" ethnic food anywhere, as most Americans prefer what they know. (there is a Chinese restaurant in KC that does dim sum on the weekends at lunch time, but that is special - they can't do it for their regular menu)

I'm sorry your food was so awful. We love the Yak and Yeti after discovering it in 2008. It was the best lunch of our trip. We went back in 2010 and found it just as wonderful? Very strange how a restaurant can be so good AND so bad!
It seems to happen at Disney more than elsewhere.
I've read good and bad reviews of every restaurant at WDW, I really do think unacceptable meals should be brought to the attention of the manager right away or things will never get better, only worse.

NOt trying to hijack, but can the fans of Y & Y list their recommended dishes? I'm planning on Christmas Lunch here...:scratchin

Kerri

My kids like it, I don't. I was peeved they did not accept the TIW card. I understand why the restaurants in World Showcase in Epcot don't accept it but why not the Y&Y? It just doesn't make good sense to me and for that reason, we won't be back.

Sounds like a y&y nightmare.

We had a great experience at Y&Y. I had the Crispy Mahi Mahi, with sauce, over rice. It was enormous and very good. My husband had the ribs. We were on the dining plan so weren't limited on price. The desserts were delicious. I had the cream cheese wontons and we had to take my husband's slice of mango pie to go because he was full and happy from his meal. So later I ate his mango pie and that was divine as well. He specifically requested that we go to Y&Y again and, hey, I got two desserts, I'm not arguing. :rotfl:

That is so nasty. I hope they compensated you for that. How careless of them. It's not like you don't notice when your glove is suddenly missing a finger.

They gave us one free meal. We were on the DDP, so they only deducted 3 instead of 4 TS credits. At first it was going to be only a free dessert, then when they realized we were on the plan, they knew a free dessert meant nothing, so they gave us the whole meal. Not enough compensation to make me feel less sick, or want to go back. And we didn't use the extra TS anyway. We had all our meals planned and were near the end of the vacation, it would have cost us more to use the credit (because we would have had to pay for 3 other TS meals we didn't plan to have). It was terrible all around!

We sent a letter to Disney when we got home about it. They apologized profusely, but what could they really do? It's not even really their restaurant. No harm done (I didn't choke to death or get hepaptitis), we just won't go back there.

Y & Y is one of my DH favourites :thumbsup2 He loves the ribs and I've always enjoyed the steak and shrimp. It always gets the egg rolls and wings for apps. I'm crossing it off for our next trip because I'd like to try something else. We always find there is way too much food.

I didn't have the negative experience that you did, but the best word I can use to describe ours is "average". It was not a great value but that is par for the course at most WDW sit down restaurants.

I was a bit annoyed that they don't accept Tables in Wonderland, and they explain it away by the fact that they are owned and operated by an outside company. Of course, that is true for many restaurants on property that do take the discount card, so I'm a little confused as to why they don't, and wonder if this will ever change.

But even if it does change, it won't matter much to us, since it was far too average of an experience to try again any time soon.

How absolutely gross that they served you a bowl of chemicals. Seriously, it isn't a difficult dish to make and doesn't need a lot of additives. What are they thinking? Less is more, unless they're working with such bad product that they really need to disguise the taste. It's also a shame about the ribs. They shouldn't let such an obviously bad batch go out for service.

You're not too far from me location-wise, so you know what I mean about how lucky we are with our restaurant choices. The places in Flushing or in the various Brooklyn Chinatowns make fabulous foods at unbelievably low prices. You can have congee or Cantonese dim sum for breakfast, a great Vietnamese banh mi for lunch, and Korean bulgoki for dinner and spend a total of about $25.

I'm now kicking myself because I realize now it was Tusker House we should've gone to.

We are definitely spoiled. NY has some of the best restaurants in the world, and I'm not talking just the 5 star places! Like you said, some of our local little joints serve up some amazing and inexpensive food. Definitely try Tusker House next time, it's worth it for sure! :goodvibes

My group had mixed reviews for Yak and Yeti. My older DD and myself didn't care for it, my younger DD and her friend loved it. It's not in our plans for our next trip.

We love Y & Y. It was one of our top 3 restaurants in 2009 and 2010. And in 2010, it was one of the best service we experienced on Disney property. Sean, our server, took the time to chat with us often (we ate late) and the food was delish. I will definitely go back! :thumbsup2

My Mom and I did not enjoy our meal here in 2009. Neither of us use salt, so we can definitely taste when salt has been added. UGH! I can not even describe how horrible the rice was! Everything was just salty.. we were so disappointed :sad2:

So, that night, Mom's stomach was giving her problems and she vomited on the way to the bus. The next morning she said she understood why it was called Yak and Yeti... because she sounded like a Yaking Yeti when the food was coming up. :sick:

As earlier post mentioned i would go to Tusker House. Food was good and well prepared. I is a little noisery in their but that is to be expected. We have take many friends and family their on our visit and everyone has loved it.

NOt trying to hijack, but can the fans of Y & Y list their recommended dishes? I'm planning on Christmas Lunch here...:scratchin

Kerri

I had the sweet and sour pork which I loved; DH had the Duck and was very happy with it and our best friends both had the steak and shrimp and you could cut the steak without a knife...it was so tender.

Late to the party, but I'm here to pile on. We thought that Yak and Yeti was one of the worst dining experiences of our trip in February. Never again!

We like Yak & Yeti. We always go when we go to AK. No, it's not the best chinese, but a lot of the entrees aren't really what i would consider traditional chinese dishes either. We like the egg rolls & pot stickers for apps. Never found them salty. For entrees my DH LOVES the ribs. I've had the steak & shrimp, mahi mahi that was good, the "traditional" chinese dishes were okay but not excellent.
that's why if something gets bad reviews and you really want to go somewhere, just go and try for yourself. everyone has different tastes, opinions or expectations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter