Yucky Yeti: What were we thinking?

loopymommy

May I never be too old for Disney.
The Florida heat makes people use bad judgment.

Okay, we're a little spoiled when it comes to Asian food. We live in NY and I grew up in Brooklyn. Before my late teens, I had never been to an Asian restaurant that was not owned and operated by people raised on the cuisine they were serving. Over the years, however, we've eaten at places like P.F. Changs and Panda Express when we've had cravings for things like Kung Pao Chicken or fried rice in areas that have fewer authentic ethnic restaurant options.

We were at Animal Kingdom on June 18th. It was HOT. We were fading after Expedition Everest. Though we could smell BBQ, we weren't sure it was from Flame Tree or the Kali River Rapids deforestation scene. It did get us thinking about food and I vaguely remembered good Yak and Yeti reviews on various boards. I also remembered the fact that it had good air conditioning. Off we went (out-of-pocket).

The restaurant is dark and pretty, with lots of decorative Indonesian accents. We were seated quickly without needing a reservation. On the way to our table, the hostess was chatty and described many of the features of the restaurant and focused for some reason on the locations of the exit doors. Should we have been worried?

As we sat down at our lovely indoor patio table, my arms became stuck to the tabletop. Yuck. We had a lovely view of rows and rows of strollers. Not horrible. Our server (Michael?) came over quickly and was very friendly. He did request our drink order before we even had picked up our menus, but I managed to tell my son about the Cherry Berry Limeade I glimpsed before he ordered a Sprite. That was probably the best part of the meal.

The menu is pricey. I wasn't prepared to have a heavy $30 lunch entree after being felled by the heat at 11:30 a.m., so we stuck with lighter options. I am fond of lettuce wraps, so I got the Lettuce Cups and a side of chicken fried ride. My son got the pork potstickers and a side of chicken fried rice. My husband, who has dim sum here in NY at least twice a week, went for the Dim Sum Basket for 2 for himself.

The lettuce looked gorgeous. They had obviously used pristine, bowl-shaped iceberg leaves and there were plenty of them to use. There was fresh cilantro, fried rice noodles, raw bean sprouts, and even shredded carrots to add to the wrap. There was also a tightly-packed small bowl of minced chicken. I made a quick little wrap with chicken and cilantro and dove in. Yuck. I swear it tasted like they had mixed peanut butter, jelly, and way too much soy sauce into the minced chicken. Maybe adding a little more cilantro would help? Nope. How about those lovely shredded carrots? Oops, someone marinated them in rice wine vinegar. LOTS of rice wine vinegar. Yuck. Again, the lettuce was lovely, so I rolled it up and ate it plain.

Hey, what about adding some of the fried rice to the lettuce? Genius, right? I tried the fried rice. Someone in the kitchen must have had a spasm when adding the soy sauce during prep because that was all I could taste. No chicken, no onion, no nothing but salt. Yuck. I looked over at my son's rice. He had already figured that out. This is a kid who will eat fried rice from anywhere. Well, anywhere except from here. My husband the garbage can tried it and spat it out. He was moved to mention the rice's inedibility it to the waiter (who graciously removed them from the bill).

My son tried one potsticker and passed them to his dad. Their filling was painfully salty as well. My husband ate his dim sum extravaganza, but only because he had not had breakfast. He said they were gummy and not seasoned correctly. Thank goodness our server refilled our drinks so we at least felt like coming into the restaurant wasn't a total loss for all of us.

There are review cards on the table. I happily acknowledged how pleasant and efficient our waiter was. That's about the only positive comment I was able to make. Such a shame. In my mind, I even tried to justify the unbelievable amount of added salt as the restaurant's way of helping us replenish our electrolytes after sweating like pigs for hours before noon, but no. It was probably a combination of carelessness and someone's mistaken perception that Americans want their food either painfully salty or sickeningly sweet.

Yuck. Never again.

Sorry you had such a bad experience there! That is one of the places I have no desire to eat at. However, I want to go just for the cream cheese wonton skewers!!

I was totally yucked out at Y&Y too. Found a latex glove tip from a kitchen worker in my food. Well...when I say "found," I actually mean almost choked on. Meaning that thing was IN MY MOUTH! I feel queasy every time I think of it! Gross! Thank goodness I didn't get hepatitis. :sick:

Y&Y was terrible last month when we went for lunch. MY DH & DS both had upset stomachs after eating there. We loved it last year.:sad2:

My DH calls Y&Y "Yack & Yucky" because you want to yack after you eat there & it's really yucky. We had an absolutely disgusting meal there & will never return. Everything that we ordered was gross. Sorry that you had a bad experience too!

Sorry you had a negative experience there. I have to say, I love the wonton dessert (and I'm not normally a fan of fried foods), but it's not enough to make me book another meal there. Not the best Asian food, and very overpriced if not on the DDP.

The carrots in vinegar reminded me of getting beets at a salad bar once...I loooove beets (fresh or canned). I took a bite of the mound of beets I'd put on my salad...augh, pickled. (which isn't normal for that salad bar)

There's something going on with the salt at AK. We ate at Pizzafari, and while 7 of us had no problems, the 8th, my aunt, had a pizza that had half a salt shaker dumped on it. Or so it tasted like. I tasted it. It was heinous. Same pizza I had, but with a ton of salt. She took it back, they let her choose something else. She got the antipasto salad...again, horribly salted! I took a bite of artichoke heart (who knows why I was the designated "is this salty?" tester) and nearly spat it out. Who salts such things????

My aunt left hungry and angry b/c the CMs put up a fight about an actual refund. (and then bizarrely refunded their whole check, a group of 5, instead of just refunding my aunt's initial pizza)

Something's up with the salt.

We weren't fans either. My husband at the time asked me to never book us there again. Unfortunately there aren't enough options at AK when on DP

we ate there last september :scared1: for lunch. everyone in our party of 5 agreed it was the worst meal of the trip and the worst meal we have ever had anywhere. the service was awful the food was really really bad. the only thing we enjoyed was the drinks and desert. i will never return there again.

Sorry you had such a terrible experience...we loved ours. Our "chinese/asian" food experiances are from the Baltimore/DC arera. Perhaps they don't messure up with NYC. We split the dim sum appitizer, the rib entree and the wonton dessert. Best splitting of a dining crerdit anywhere, ever.

I appreciate everyones reviews...but yours was pretty damning. It is a restaurant worth trying once, IMHO.

Add me to the list of Y&Y haters. Our food was beautiful but old and dried out. The worse TS meal I've had in Disney.

I am so sorry you had a bad meal...nothing worse than overly salty foods and WDW seems to do alot of that lately

When we tried Y&Y we didnt like the appies or desserts at all but we did like our entrees...the steak and shrimp and the ribs, they were both wonderful

Sorry you had such a bad experience there! That is one of the places I have no desire to eat at. However, I want to go just for the cream cheese wonton skewers!!

I wish we had been able to make it to dessert. It may have been Y&Y's saving grace (other than the service and air conditioning).

I was totally yucked out at Y&Y too. Found a latex glove tip from a kitchen worker in my food. Well...when I say "found," I actually mean almost choked on. Meaning that thing was IN MY MOUTH! I feel queasy every time I think of it! Gross! Thank goodness I didn't get hepatitis. :sick:

That is so nasty. I hope they compensated you for that. How careless of them. It's not like you don't notice when your glove is suddenly missing a finger.

Y&Y was terrible last month when we went for lunch. MY DH & DS both had upset stomachs after eating there. We loved it last year.:sad2:

I'm so sorry. Didn't they change management companies a while ago? Someone's asleep at the wheel over there.

Sorry you had a poor experience! I, however, LOVE that place!!!

Believe me, we wanted to love it. We were excited to be there and not just because of the air conditioning.

My DH calls Y&Y "Yack & Yucky" because you want to yack after you eat there & it's really yucky. We had an absolutely disgusting meal there & will never return. Everything that we ordered was gross. Sorry that you had a bad experience too!

Thanks. I can't imagine how they could muck up such simple dishes. At least we didn't drop more than $50 bucks there for lunch.

Sorry you had a negative experience there. I have to say, I love the wonton dessert (and I'm not normally a fan of fried foods), but it's not enough to make me book another meal there. Not the best Asian food, and very overpriced if not on the DDP.

We are fried dessert fans. A place near us makes fried brownies, fried apple pies, fried cheesecake, etc. and we love 'em. if we weren't so turned-off by the rest of our meal, we may have gone back later in the day for the wontons.

The carrots in vinegar reminded me of getting beets at a salad bar once...I loooove beets (fresh or canned). I took a bite of the mound of beets I'd put on my salad...augh, pickled. (which isn't normal for that salad bar)

There's something going on with the salt at AK. We ate at Pizzafari, and while 7 of us had no problems, the 8th, my aunt, had a pizza that had half a salt shaker dumped on it. Or so it tasted like. I tasted it. It was heinous. Same pizza I had, but with a ton of salt. She took it back, they let her choose something else. She got the antipasto salad...again, horribly salted! I took a bite of artichoke heart (who knows why I was the designated "is this salty?" tester) and nearly spat it out. Who salts such things????

My aunt left hungry and angry b/c the CMs put up a fight about an actual refund. (and then bizarrely refunded their whole check, a group of 5, instead of just refunding my aunt's initial pizza)

Something's up with the salt.

I was truly expecting plain shredded carrots and they would've saved the dish. They should've at least drained the vinegar from the carrots instead of plopping them down with a spoon onto the plate.

We roast our own beets all the time. Most of the time, we just add some goat cheese and eat them with arugula. They don't need much to taste great. Pickling works for some things really well, but isn't always necessary. I guess they are trying to extend the shelf life of the shredded carrots.

I'm so sorry for your aunt. Poor thing. If she suffers from high blood pressure, I feel even worse for her. That over-salting just rips the pleasure from the experience of eating.

We weren't fans either. My husband at the time asked me to never book us there again. Unfortunately there aren't enough options at AK when on DP

I wish they could add some food carts with healthy options. We were looking all over for something like fresh fruit or portable salads, the kind of thing you crave when the weather hits over 95 degrees.

we ate there last september :scared1: for lunch. everyone in our party of 5 agreed it was the worst meal of the trip and the worst meal we have ever had anywhere. the service was awful the food was really really bad. the only thing we enjoyed was the drinks and desert. i will never return there again.

You sound like us except for the service issue. We felt like this place would make a lovely bar with small plates of salty snacks, but as a restaurant, it needs work.

Sorry you had such a terrible experience...we loved ours. Our "chinese/asian" food experiances are from the Baltimore/DC arera. Perhaps they don't messure up with NYC. We split the dim sum appitizer, the rib entree and the wonton dessert. Best splitting of a dining crerdit anywhere, ever.

I appreciate everyones reviews...but yours was pretty damning. It is a restaurant worth trying once, IMHO.

Yes, my damning review was meant to topple the Yak and Yeti empire with my comments about oversalting. Surely the random pieces of latex or the folks who became ill after eating the food there would have nothing to do with it.

You have a great Chinatown in DC. The problems we experienced didn't seem like they were necessarily consistent quality issues. There was carelessness in the kitchen that day and we caught it (and apparently many others have as well). Don't take these reviews as a personal attack on you for my family not enjoying what you did.

Add me to the list of Y&Y haters. Our food was beautiful but old and dried out. The worse TS meal I've had in Disney.

If this was the only restaurant we had eaten in at Disney, we may have been turned off to all of them. Luckily on this trip, we grabbed meals at Pecos Bill's, Biergarten, and Starring Rolls, all of which were quite decent and on the verge of pretty good. The best things we ate on the trip were the salted dark chocolate caramel from Germany's Karamell-Kuche. Now THERE'S a good use of salt!

Sorry you didn't like it...we love Y&Y!!!:goodvibes

Thanks! Maybe it would've worked out better if we had ordered differently.

I am so sorry you had a bad meal...nothing worse than overly salty foods and WDW seems to do alot of that lately

When we tried Y&Y we didnt like the appies or desserts at all but we did like our entrees...the steak and shrimp and the ribs, they were both wonderful

Thanks! I think that's the route we should've taken, but we weren't hungry enough to eat heavily before the hottest part of the day had even hit.

Ohh that's awful! I'm so sorry you had a bad experiance there - ours have never been anything but great :( ! Hopefully the rest of your Disney dining made up for that one bad one :)

Out of all our many trips to the world I think our family would unanimously vote Yuck and Yeti as the worst meal we have ever had at Disney. Seven appys, seven entrees, seven desserts and one kid's meal...and the highlight was probably the soda we had to drink. Really, really awful...

So sorry you had a bad meal experience at Yak n Yeti:sad2:

There's nothing worse than being disappointed with a meal you were looking forward to - is there?

I have read many, many food reviews on these boards :rolleyes1 and one thing is clear - everybody has different experiences and different opinions.

I have had a brilliant experience at one restaurant and then the next time I went it was disappointing.

I'm sad to hear about Yak n Yeti because we had one of our favourite meals there last year. I hope it hasn't changed for the worse as we'd really like to go back.

I admit I haven't had as much experience with authentic asian food as many of you on here - so maybe my standards are lower!:lmao:

Did you have any more positive meal experiences during your time there?

I'm sorry you had a bad time there! Our experience wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing. First of all, you're lucky the fried rice only tasted really salty! Mine tasted like chemicals! It was soooo gross. Luckily when we ate there my lettuce cups were actually really good, and the Mahi Mahi I ordered was delicious. Unfortunately DH's ribs were dry and gross, and like I said the fried rice tasted like chemicals. I've seen a lot of reviews on here and I know that we just got an off plate of those ribs, because I've seen them look really moist and yummy in people's pics. It stinks that this place has so much inconsistency. Lame! On a brighter note, we did Tusker House buffet for lunch this past trip and we thought it was good. The service was good and the buffet had some nice items. The only problem there is the buffets are pretty expensive if you're paying OOP. which we were. We just don't eat enough to merit a $50 buffet lunch. But it was great to try once!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter