Your Thoughts on SS

Disney Doll said:
Keep in mind, that while DVC is "pushing" SSR right now, they do have contracts available at the other DVC properties that they have bought back through ROFR. Someone posted not too long ago that he told a DVC guide that he wanted to purchase at...BCV I believe...the guide tried to steer him toward SSR, the poster finally flat out said "Iwant to buy at BCV & if I can't do it through Disney then I will do it through a resale". Suddenly there was an available contract.

That was me. All true (except it was VWL, not BCV). And I have this board to thank. Without the time I spent here, I never would have known that SSR wasn't my only option. VWL was definitely the right choice for me.

I like SSR a lot. We don't own points at SSR, but it has quickly become one of the 3 resorts we like to book a stay at each year. ( OKW & VWL are the others ) As others have mentioned, at SSR it's like having your own little town to enjoy. As the resort gets closer to completion, this will truly become a small town. We find it very quiet, which is something I consider a plus as well. DTD itself, though certainly not a theme park, is still a very entertaining place to visit. We like catching a movie on a rainy afternoon, having a nice meal, doing a little shopping, and enjoying a marguerita or 2 in the evenings. Found no problems with transportation. On our previous 2 stays, we've been very pleased with the resort and look forward to visiting again.

Good luck with your decision!

littlestar said:
Yeah, but don't the guards usually take down your license plate number and look at your I.D.?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But I don't see how it does anything to alleviate the problem of people parking at resorts and walking to theme parks. Ask the Boardwalk owners what it's like to get a spot in the self-park lot after 6pm.

I just think with the vast parking lot of Downtown Disney, you have a lot more opportunity for abuse of Saratoga's facilities. I just don't want to stay at Saratoga unless they have a gate or something on the downtown disney path. Like I said, it's too easy access for my comfort level. I would also be worried about my daughters walking around in Saratoga's parking lot at night because of the easy access.

I'm not sure if you're implying there is purely a foot traffic issue or, more seriously, a safety issue here. But either way, I don't see SSR as being materially different from any other resort.

In addition to the fact that you can get through the front gate at any resort pretty easily, a person parking their car at Downtown Disney has easy access to ANY Disney resort via the bus system.

Rather than walk to SSR, why not park at DTD, take a bus to the Contemporary and walk/monorail to the MK? Why not park at DTD, bus to BC and walk to Epcot? Why not park at DTD, bus to AKL, and walk to AK?

These types of things have been going on for years, long before SSR came along.

If security is a concern, do you think you're any safer at the Boardwalk where people coming from Epcot, MGM, BC, YC, Swan and Dolphin are all within easy walking distance? Multiple points of entry...multiple points of exit.

We loved it overall! Stayed from 8/25-8/31...our first stay here. Second DVC stay ever (OKW last August).

Only two early disappointments. 1) Our one "request" was unavailable...1BR Downtown Disney view. We arrived around 3:30pm so this was initially not a great start as we thought it was fairly early and a supposedly "slow" time! 2) Assigned to the first Springs building nearest DD view area, given room keys, went to check out room only to find the prior occupant had not yet departed! We walked right in...thank God we didn't confront anyone. But it was quite obvious the room was occupied with food and belongings scattered about. Needless to say, we exited as soon as we realized the situation and headed back to Carriage House. (This coulda been very embarrassing...I believe I've read other similar situations at other resorts!). The computer showed the room cleaned and ready for occupancy! So, after all that, we ended up in the second Springs building from DD. Arrived to a very nice room facing the pond/fountain area.

Our entire weeks stay was very peaceful and quiet. (One expception witnessed by just myself...the two younger kids that checked into the studio next door a couple days prior to our departure running into their room a good 10 minutes prior to parents, evidently walking back from the pool or a park visit. First the older child obviously locked the younger in the hallway to be followed by door pounding and yelling to "let me in" for several minutes, followed by angry words/yelling, then the younger ended up locked on the balcony pounding/kicking the glass door/screaming to be let in once again! Upon spotting the parents walking down the sidewalk several minutes later, the child began yelling to them about the situation and being locked out the whole time. Hopefully the parents had the good sense to reprimand and correct this disrespectful situation...I was about ready to go pound on the door myself...or peak around the patio divider and set them straight. Can you imagine how our beautiful resorts would look if put through this abuse constantly?!?!)

This was not a Disney park trip for us as we were in town for a high school baseball showcase at Osceola County Stadium (Astros) with our son. We did spend one day at the Magic Kingdom...waited for bus at Springs stop less than 15 minutes then proceeded to MK directly (easily less than 10 minutes). We were at the gates to MK in a total of half an hour. No complaints here about transportation. In fact, our only wait over 20 minutes in many Disney resort stays over the years was the wait on New Year's Eve from Epcot at park closing in 2004.

Son (nearly 17) absolutely loved the Fitness Center at SSR...said all equipment was top of the line, numerous, and provided several great workouts with very few others in the place. And this was just up the steps from the main theme pool and HH, which were all within 5 minutes of our room...very convenient. We did not have pool time this trip. Tried AP takeouts for breakfast one morning (to-go as we were on the run)...fine as eggs and croissants go. Then stopped for dessert and coffee after an evening stroll from DD (have never had a bad Disney dessert!). Nice for quick stops, but would like to see a nicer sit-down restaurant on-site in the future along with this.

Walked to DD several evenings. From our room in the Springs (at the far end of the buiding from main roadway), we arrived at the DD entrance (near Rain Forest Cafe) easily within 15 minutes. In fact, we made the entire loop around the lake two evenings with no problem at all. Of course, there were many shopping stops and meals (Earl of Sandwich...thumbs up for an affordable and delicious sandwich!) on the way so I can't say how long that took. But, I guess it is all according to your tolerance/ability for walking what you consider "too far"...it was a very pleasant walk for our family. And you always have the option of hopping on the ferry or bus back to the resort. Don't forget your umbrellas anywhere in FL for those sudden showers!

All-in-all a very pleasant stay and we can't wait to return for a true "Disney" vacation. Quiet-wise it was even more sedate than OKW for us (no parking visible as we were on waterview side). We could not hear fireworks from our room and it seemed a completely separate atmosphere from the DD area (yet convenient to it). Transportation was no worse at SSR than we experienced any other stay over the years at OKW, PO/Riverside, Contemporary (other than monorail convenience to MK/Epcot), Fort Wilderness, etc. And our feeling is they are all very much "Disney"!

Suzy :earsgirl:

tjkraz said:
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But I don't see how it does anything to alleviate the problem of people parking at resorts and walking to theme parks. Ask the Boardwalk owners what it's like to get a spot in the self-park lot after 6pm.

I'm not sure if you're implying there is purely a foot traffic issue or, more seriously, a safety issue here. But either way, I don't see SSR as being materially different from any other resort.

In addition to the fact that you can get through the front gate at any resort pretty easily, a person parking their car at Downtown Disney has easy access to ANY Disney resort via the bus system.

Rather than walk to SSR, why not park at DTD, take a bus to the Contemporary and walk/monorail to the MK? Why not park at DTD, bus to BC and walk to Epcot? Why not park at DTD, bus to AKL, and walk to AK?

These types of things have been going on for years, long before SSR came along.

If security is a concern, do you think you're any safer at the Boardwalk where people coming from Epcot, MGM, BC, YC, Swan and Dolphin are all within easy walking distance? Multiple points of entry...multiple points of exit.

I'm just saying you have easier access at Saratoga for John Q Public. I'm female with daughters and believe me, I'm careful. My husband doesn't worry about the same things or notice the same things I do or that my girls do. That downtown disney parking lot is a heck of a lot bigger than most resort lots. There are no guard shacks for entrance at downtown Disney. Do I think we're perfectly safe at every Disney resort, no. But I feel less safe at Saratoga. I can't help it, that's the way I feel. So I guess my feelings are a combination of safety and foot traffic concerns both. But these are MY feelings for a woman with a family of daughters. Also, if someone comes over from Epcot or MGM around BCV and BWV, they paid money to get in the parks and more than likely will return to a park.

We have friends that wanted to join DVC and they told us they will not join at Saratoga for the reasons I just mentioned to you. So I know I am not the only one who has considered this. They thought it was too close to Downtown Disney, a public shopping and night club bar area. I wouldn't want my personal residence right next to the mall or bars/night clubs here in my hometown either. Maybe some people would, but I wouldn't. To each his own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter