Youngest you've rented stoller for?

tmfranlk

Love hanging at the World with my sweet girls.
I am pretty certain that I am going to rent a stoller for DD in Dec., but would love to hear from others with similar experiences.

DD will be 22 months at the time of our trip. Odds are that she will fall asleep while still at the parks, whether at nap time or at night. I know that her stroller (Peg Perego Pliko P3) would be more comfortable, but here's why I am considering renting:

I will be travelling alone with DD. We will be staying at ASMo and will be relying on Disney transportation. In March, I took her stroller when it was DD (then 14mo), DSis (8yo) and me. DSis was able to help carry the bag, blanket, etc onto the bus. I would put DD in her hip carrier (www.swankeltd.com or www.hiphammock.com) and then fold and load the stroller. This was a little cumbersome, but it worked, especially when other guests offered to help me load the stroller.

This time, however, I will be entirely on my own. DD can still ride in the hip carrier, but I would still have to deal with the stroller and bag. Since DD will almost certainly fall asleep in the hip carrier at night, then that makes it just a little more difficult.

Okay, that was the long way around to asking...what is your experience in renting a stroller for an almost 2yo? Any tips to making it comfortable for naps? (I'm thinking a blanket.) Any other thoughts/advice you have to share would be welcome as well!

Thanks!!

Edited to add link to the original Hip Hammock site since Playtex now helps sell them.

That's way to young for the rentals, imho. They are just useless for sleeping and not very comfortable for long long periods of time.

For the expense, I'd go buy the chicco caddy. No cup holders, but it does recline enough to sleep comfortably. It has a visor and rain cover.

But best of all, it has a sholder strap! So you can throw it over your sholder when traveling.

I could have sworn I saw a stroller with an infant attachment in it last week at Epcot - it could have just been someone's carseat, but it matched the rental stroller too perfectly. I've never seen one any other time though, so I may be mistaken.
Either way, for a 2 year old it wouldn't help.

Normally I wouldn't do rentals with a 2 year old, but if you have the backup of a sling then I might consider it. I took my Chicco Touring on the buses last week, and I really struggled with just it,( dh had the baby or vice versa) I love it in the parks, but it was a real hassle on the bus.

I have done it with a 2yo and a pliko alone and I did prefer it to the rentals. You will definately need it at the resort and other places including the airport.

I would bring your pliko - IIRC it folds and stands on its own this helps lots.

Be sure and use a backpack for your diaper bag and don't take to much, plan to spend a bit more for water and juice and snacks to avoid lugging to much. A snuggli or hip carrier will be wonderful - just make sure and have the stroller folded and ready to go when boarding the bus. My dd walked on and I took the stroller while wearing the backpack.

To tell the truth I would pick up a cheap umbrella with a carry strap before I would rent a park stroller with that age child - and it will cost less!!

Perhaps you should bring your stroller for ease at the airport, gate check it and have it for the resort. Then you have the choice of renting or bringing your own.

I do still vote for brining yours - have a great trip.

TJ

I've used the Disney strollers when my kids were as young as 15 months. They're fine for taking little "cat naps", but not if your child likes to take long naps. Just bring a little baby blanket to lean her head on and she'll be fine. You may also want to bring another blanket to put over the top of the stroller to keep the sun off her.

My DDs slept OK in the strollers, but maybe only for about a half hour or so. It worked out fine for us.

tmfranlk, did you order the hip hammock online or did you find a local store that sells it? That just what I have been looking for DD (23 months) I found them at babiesrus.com but if I can get it from the store I prefer that. (easier to return if need be) Thanks for any help. :sunny:

Samandmom, I ordered mine online because a year and a half ago, that was the only option. I ordered from the woman directly. When I checked my links before posting, I was very pleased to find out that Playtex has picked up her idea and is selling it in stores. The ones at Babies R Us sold by Playtex, are the ones the woman created and just like I have, with a few minor improvements. I would defintely say go ahead and buy it at the store.

DD is now 21 months and 27 or so pounds. I can carry her in the hip hammock for 4-6 hours if needed. It is almost still as easy as when she was 16 pounds. I hope you like it!!

tmfranlk
Thank you! I went to babies r us this morning and found. They had a deluxe one and it was $20.00 more. The only difference that I noticed is that it had a little pouch for credit cards and the such plus it had a different material. I ended up just getting the cheaper one. Thanks again. I would have never know it was at babies r us without your help. I will have to try it out around the house to make sure I like it for our trip.

:wave:

BTW: My DD and your DD are exactly one month apart. I had Samantha on 1/20/03 :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter